• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Can't watch the video right now but...

Does it really matter why he is right or left handed?
It's just his reasoning is exceptionally silly. Like it's not a big deal but it's something only a Japanese Nintendo developer could come up with.

"We made him right handed because the buttons for combat are mostly on the right side of the controller".

Like, what?

When was this ever an issue in every single Zelda game up until now? Or any other game with a left handed protagonist?

Twilight Princess Wii and Skyward Sword were understandable because you had to physically move your arm around.

But seriously this is just bizarrre.

It doesn't matter what hand he uses really, though unless there is a genuine reason like with TPWii and SS, there is no reason for Link to not be left handed as it's an established trait of the character. This is just "giving a reason for the sake of giving a reason" right here.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here a neat question.

Skyward Sword.

1. Do you own it?
2. Have you played it?
3. Have you beaten it?
4. Did you enjoy it:?
5. What parts did you like?
6. What parts did you dislike?
7.What do you think of its reception?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Here a neat question.

Skyward Sword.

1. Do you own it?
2. Have you played it?
3. Have you beaten it?
1) No.
2) Briefly, at a friend's house years ago.
3) No.
4) Seemed alright from what I played.
5) Sword-swishing was fun I guess. And being able to sprint and run up walls.
6) Haven't played enough to really notice anything wrong with it.
7) It seems well liked so good for the game I guess? Gets referenced a lot too, it definitely left it's mark.

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
Here a neat question.

Skyward Sword.

1. Do you own it?
2. Have you played it?
3. Have you beaten it?
1-3: No.
4. I enjoy the aspect and story, along with the gameplay of the Wii Motion plus to mimic actual sword movement. I think it's a rather nifty game.

6. I didn't like the way those Shadow Realm levels played out. I thought they were just a bit too urgent for my tastes.
7. I don't look at reception too much myself, so I can't say much about this.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Here a neat question.

Skyward Sword.

1. Do you own it?
2. Have you played it?
3. Have you beaten it?
Yes, Yes, 100%.
Very much so, it's my second favorite 3D Zelda.
The levels were just well enough spaced out to give you exploration with little and natural seeming parts of the areas you got more of and used varyingly as you revisited the areas. Ghirahim is one of the best played characters of the series in design, dialogue, and those progressions of his fights were near-perfect.. Fi is the best helper of the series. Almost every side quest felt... like they had more weight, that you were really being a part of people's lives. The upgrade system was great. Timestones were a very interesting gimmick area. HOOK BEETLE BEST ITEM. And the swordplay was great once you got used to it.
Shields were largely useless... as were MOST upgrades. The whip felt very vestigial and the slingshot serves incredibly little purpose throughout the game. SCREW the repeated fights of The Imprisoned. The silent realm treks were aggrivating. Stamina was... too imbalanced for how much you want to run and really wish you could upgrade it in some form throughout the game. And the final boss fight has one massive issue. You're supposed to Skyward Strike for one part of it when THE REST OF THE FIGHT THEY'VE STRESSED HOW YOU PHYSICALLY CAN NOT USE THE ABILITY IN THIS FIGHT.

Edit: People are too butthurt over too few areas, the sky being empty, and motion controls being "hard."

Last edited:
Skyward Sword.

1. Do you own it?
Yes
2. Have you played it?
Yes
3. Have you beaten it?
Nope
Not really, but I haven't enjoyed any LoZ very much
When the motion controls weren't making things needlessly difficult the combat was fun. Aiming with motion contrls is alos usually fun. One or two puzzles
Most of the puzzles and every dungeon
The characters/story were pretty damn boring to me
The infamous thing about constant pop-ups

Also lol dowsing
IDK I didn't beat the game but I agree with every negative aspect people talk about at minimum

Last edited:

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
E3 has been a blast so far! I was one of the first to be able to play the newest Zelda game; both it and the area it was in was spectacular! Went to Hollywood yesterday for the Zelda Symphony, and now I'm preparing for Pokémon: Symphonic Evolutions tonight at the Microsoft Theatre! So much to do, so little time! I also spoke briefly with Masuda-san, who was awesome as always.

Proof of attendance:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's just his reasoning is exceptionally silly. Like it's not a big deal but it's something only a Japanese Nintendo developer could come up with.

"We made him right handed because the buttons for combat are mostly on the right side of the controller".

Like, what?

When was this ever an issue in every single Zelda game up until now? Or any other game with a left handed protagonist?

Twilight Princess Wii and Skyward Sword were understandable because you had to physically move your arm around.

But seriously this is just bizarrre.

It doesn't matter what hand he uses really, though unless there is a genuine reason like with TPWii and SS, there is no reason for Link to not be left handed as it's an established trait of the character. This is just "giving a reason for the sake of giving a reason" right here.
It's like they think they're parents making up silly explanations for why the sky is blue to children/

D

Deleted member

Here a neat question.

Skyward Sword.

1. Do you own it?
2. Have you played it?
3. Have you beaten it?
1-4. Yes.
5. The motion control swordplay was fun, albeit unresponsive at times. Some of the dungeons were creative. The new items were great. Being able to upgrade weapons and equipment at shops was a welcome addition. The soundtrack was good. The graphics and art direction were good for Wii standards. The story was pretty decent. And then there's Groose.
6. Again, the motion control wasn't perfect, and I occasionally found myself swinging in the unintended direction. There might be more, but it's been a while since I beat it.
7. I'm not surprised at the mixed reception since I think the game is far from being for everyone.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
In Hawaii, they brought over mongooses over to deal with their rat infestation.

The new polemon must be a rat.

:150:
Pikachu's a rat.
:p

Bu yeah probably. Which is neat as that's two early route normal mons, possibly hinting towards a larger new pokemon number.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
Breath of the Wild looks pretty cool. I hope people have a ton of fun with it.

Nintendo/Aonuma's reasoning for why the game doesn't have a female protagonist option seems really silly to me though. I mean, I wasn't exactly expecting that option given how past Zelda games have been, but "balance of the Triforce" doesn't really make sense to me as a reason for not having it given that you could always just swap Link's gender and Zelda's gender (or have Zelda and Link explore together or something).

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Personally I think the Triforce argument was less: "This is what I genuinely believe."
And more: "Well these rumors are going to plague us, might as well shoot them down now."

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't need a female protagonist option in Zelda (though it would be good to have overall), but the reasoning Aonuma gave was silly.

People really need to learn that sometimes, irrationality is OK. Sometimes, you need to know when to say "I'm not doing this because I just don't feel like it", or "I don't like this, can't put my finger on why, but it's just not my cup of tea". You don't need to give an explanation that sounds smart for everything. Trying to force one makes you say confusing things.

Chrono.

Breath of the Wild looks pretty cool. I hope people have a ton of fun with it.

Nintendo/Aonuma's reasoning for why the game doesn't have a female protagonist option seems really silly to me though. I mean, I wasn't exactly expecting that option given how past Zelda games have been, but "balance of the Triforce" doesn't really make sense to me as a reason for not having it given that you could always just swap Link's gender (or have Zelda and Link explore together or something).
Considering Aonuma just said that Link is right handed because the action buttons are on the right, I don't think reasoning is his strong point.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Considering Aonuma just said that Link is right handed because the action buttons are on the right, I don't think reasoning is his strong point.
All the "No playable female protagonist" with Nintendo reminds me of Ubisoft case with the same thing in AC: Unity, both gave a really stupid "reason" on why not having one, and funny, Nintendo gave Ubi a "burn" claiming that "You can play as Female Robin in Smash and it doesn't double our work", now I imagine Ubisoft would say something like "You can play as Evie Frye in AC: Syndicate and its DLC is dedicated to her." if they saw their excuse with this new Zelda.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

All the "No playable female protagonist" with Nintendo reminds me of Ubisoft case with the same thing in AC: Unity, both gave a really stupid "reason" on why not having one, and funny, Nintendo gave Ubi a "burn" claiming that "You can play as Female Corrin in Smash and it doesn't double our work", now I imagine Ubisoft would say something like "You can play as Evie Frye in AC: Syndicate and its DLC is dedicated to her." if they saw their excuse with this new Zelda.
That wasn't Nintendo, it was a joke account

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Here a neat question.

Skyward Sword.

1. Do you own it?
2. Have you played it?
3. Have you beaten it?
1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Yes

5.Story/Lore
Dungeons and Puzzels were very well designed
Weapon Crafting
Koloktos was a ****ing amazing boss!!
Zelda
Ghirahim
Impa
Music was awesome
A Boss Rush! Made the Hylian Shield seem like something special since it was an accomplishment to get it, instead of just buying one...

6.Wasn't a fan of the graphic style, was an awkward middle ground between realism and cartoony just didn't mesh all that well to me
Motion controls were...temperamental
Those ****ing Trials of the Goddesses, I hated them...
A lot of the Boss and character designs I wasn't a fan of, especially bosses like the Imprisoned and Tentalus I disliked...as an amateur creature/character designer this is something I look deeply into
Flying was awesome but the sky was relatively empty, not much reason to explore save for a couple floating islands here and there...no where near the great Sea...
'Master, the batteries in your Wii Remote are running low'....Thanks Fi! Can you give me the probability while you're at it?

7. It was no where near as bad as a lot of people say it was...I consider it the worst 3D zelda but that's only because of the standards set by all the other titles that it didn't stand up to...It's still a good game and one I do intend on playing again at some point...

In other news...I'm running out of Metroid games to play, after I finish Hunters I'll be all caught up...
Perhaps I can start working on some Zelda games...Looked over the eshop sales...Minish Cap is dirtcheap so I may pick that up...Been meaning to buy Wind Waker HD at some point, and it's only 30 bucks on the eshop, but atm I don't have enough to buy it...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
People were still singing Nintendo's praises though and using them to fling **** at Ubisoft.

"LOOK AT HOW MANY FEMALES ARE IN SMASH"

Honestly Nintendo still has plenty of problems with female representation.

(:rosalina: trigger warning)
It's one of the reasons I think Rosalina needs her own franchise and that it could be of benefit to Nintendo.

You've got this over-powered female character who is literally god in the Mario universe and doesn't even care when she takes damage in Smash according to Sakurai, and her general demeanour.

Lots of people love her and view her as a great role model for how she dealt with the loss of her family after coming to terms with it, and for her motherly nature while still being a powerful figure.

Yet you decide to relegate her to a series that barely gives female characters a chance to shine no matter how cool they might be because Mario has to arbitrarily save the day in the end, or Rosalina is too powerful in bios and cutscenes and has to be toned down for gameplay as a result, or the games she shows up in don't leave much room for her to strut her powers, like Mario Party and Mario Kart. Not to mention making her appear scared of Bowser in Mario Party 10.

Like giving her a franchise of her own would fix so many problems for both the character and Nintendo's female representation in general (for one, you'd be making a female character actually lead a franchise for the first time in ages). You could also have the perfect answer to the debate of "should the next Mario game be Galaxy 3?" with this. It's money waiting to be printed.

I mean at the very least the new Metroid should have starred Samus.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I suspect those reasons given by Aonuma are half-truths at best, but it doesn't really matter. The game isn't going to be drastically changed depending on Link's handedness or (imo) gender either way.

As for the visuals, the art direction is stunning but I will agree the graphics themselves are nothing special. They're certainly not bad, they're definitely what you'd expect from a AAA Wii U game like Zelda, but the graphical fidelity of some of the other stuff out there these days is just crazy. However it'll probably look even more gorgeous on the NX, the likely the platform for which I'll be purchasing the game anyway.

That said, the scope of this game not only sounds simply immense, but the formula for the series does seem to be shifting, for which I'm grateful. The past few Zeldas were stellar games in their own right, but I was getting a bit fatigued by them and their lack of true ambition. Plus I like open-world games. :)

Oh and the Pokemon portion was pretty boring but the new Pokemon look neat. :3

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't know if this was posted, but it seems that the Crash Bandicoot remasters will be developed by Vicarious Visions, the team behind Nitro Kart and the GBA games.

http://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2016/160614b.html
I speculated as much, but it's nice to see it confirmed.

Also some news I think is cool:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Here a neat question.

Skyward Sword.

1. Do you own it?
2. Have you played it?
3. Have you beaten it?
1. Yes, I own it.
2. Yes, I've played it.
3. Yes, I've beaten it.
4. Yes, I enjoyed it.
5. I liked the story and dungeons in particular. I never had a problem with the motion controls, and by the end of the game I felt pretty good with them and actively enjoyed the combat system. Kind of like Star Fox Zero.
6. I guess coming back to fight the Imprisoned multiple times wasn't that much fun. It didn't bother me too much, but in retrospect I wish they did something more to change up the fights a little. Kind of a poor design choice in my opinion.
7. I wish Zelda fans would stop loudly complaining over every little detail they didn't like about the game. It was in no way a bad game, at least to me, but some people really seem to make it out to be the worst Zelda game ever.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Here a neat question.

Skyward Sword.

1. Do you own it?
2. Have you played it?
3. Have you beaten it?
1: Yes - The limited edition with the soundtrack and golden Wiimote was one of my Christmas presents from long ago...
2: Yes -
3: No, and unfortunately time on the internet has spoiled it for me... Oh well, but I do aim to beat it one day.
4: Yes.
5: Artstyle was great, neat boss fights like Ghirahim. Groose was great as comic relief, and the motion controls were pretty good.
6: Fi - always with the predictions! Attend a calculus class! (That's my big criticism - Fi's so meticulous that it becomes Navi levels of annoying at times)
7: I always thought the game did pretty well with a lot of positive praise... from the reviewer level. Time on other places show that it's either a 'like-or-dislike' experience.

I feel Nintendo's presence at E3 was pretty simple this year, but I think that helped the presentation of the Treehouse events today. We knew Zelda was going to be the focus, and Pokémon SM too. Coupled with the amiibo announcements today from Boo to Waluigi, I think this simplicity was much better than last year's E3. Although there wasn't anything else that had major importance like some more details on other, more 'controversial' games like Metroid Prime: Federation Force or Colour Splash, the cards for Zelda and Pokémon were nicely laid out, and that's pretty good in my books.

I've yet to watch the entire thing, but I'd say Nintendo at E3 would be the 7.5 mark, and certainly a much better reception than last year. *Shudder*

Now I get back to work and study.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I don't know if this was posted, but it seems that the Crash Bandicoot remasters will be developed by Vicarious Visions, the team behind Nitro Kart and the GBA games.

http://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2016/160614b.html
I honestly don't mind this, I didn't expect Naughty Dog to do it, considering they have no desire to develop cartoony games unfortunately.

At least these people have experience with Crash.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Watching the intro to BotW since I missed it due to work...

It kinda looked like Link awoke inside of what appeared to be Kalle Demos...though it's likely not...
The old man said that this was the birthplace of Hyrule, could this be the remains of the shrine inside of the Statue of the Goddess?

This game is going to have so much added lore it's going to be amazing!

Edit: And did not expect to see a Korok!!

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
While the balance of the tri-force argument is silly. Seriously the balance of the tri-force is ultimately a character trait each has or desires. A female can have courage. So what? Just as she can have power and wisdom.

It's also silly to want a female Link. Link can be named but so can many other established male characters. A majority of the FF leads, etc.

That's the simple fact. To argue for Link to be both genders is simply silly because he has years as an established male character with personality traits. Recurring ones at that.

Link might lead the series, but it's silly to argue that you need him to also be a female for their to be a strong female character in Zelda. *****, the strong female's name is in the title. And that's not including all the numerous kick-ass ladies like Impa, Linkle, Ruto, Agitha, etc

I don't want a strong female character to simply be the same as the strong male character most times. Individuality is a huge part of what draws me to a character regardless of what is in their pants.

I'd rather to give some of the already amazing Zelda ladies who are all vastily different characters from Link but just as corageous as Link playable time to shine than just ''Oh, look Link now has breasts and a vagina."

Last edited:

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
I don't need a female protagonist option in Zelda (though it would be good to have overall), but the reasoning Aonuma gave was silly.

People really need to learn that sometimes, irrationality is OK. Sometimes, you need to know when to say "I'm not doing this because I just don't feel like it", or "I don't like this, can't put my finger on why, but it's just not my cup of tea". You don't need to give an explanation that sounds smart for everything. Trying to force one makes you say confusing things.
Yeah, I think this is a situation where the explanation for the decision was worse than the decision itself. It would've been awesome if we got a female protagonist or a female protagonist option in BoW. I figured that wasn't super likely though.

Nintendo/Aonuma could have just said "we decided to go in a different direction for Breath of the Wild, but we appreciate fan feedback and we'll consider having that option in a future game." While that might not have been the most satisfactory answer, I'd much prefer it to the explanation that was given, which seems to suggest that we won't get a playable female protagonist in Zelda games in the future because it goes against Zelda canon.

So much for Zelda canon/tradition being important, I guess, haha... I'm okay with them making Link right-handed, but I can appreciate that there are people who want there to be a reason for the change that's unique to BoW.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly, Link isn't even an avatar anymore.

Breath of Wild confirmed that.

The voice doesn't address the hero.

It directly addresses Link.

Not you. Not some non specific person.

Link.

:4link:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Link hasn't been a generic avatar in years.

To say hes the same as your character in Mass Effect or the BioWare Star Wars games is silly. He has far far far more personality than those.

He's on par with Mario honestly. Mario has limited speech, but tons of personality. Let's go ahead and next game make it the Maria Sisters as well. Maria and Louisa Maria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom