• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not saying this in direct response to you specifically, but I feel like this needs to be said in regards to Smash speculation and Pokémon.
It's logic like this that really gets me about people that use a Pokémon's typing as means to both hype up a Pokémon and discredit another.
Decidueye is Grass and Ghost type, which means there are so many options that make it special and unique based on that alone, right?
Wrong.

Decidueye's Grass techniques are limited to just:
-tossing leaves (Leafage and Razor Leaf)
-a self-healing technique, which would not be included for obvious reasons (Synthesis)
-using a sword made of leaves (Leaf Blade)
-creating an energy ball (Energy Ball)
-creating a giant beam of energy (Solar Beam)
-creating some kind of knot for people to trip over? (Grass Knot)
-spawning giant thorns to attack an opponent(s) en masse in a Final Smash manner that would be excluded because Sinister Arrow Rain exists (Frenzy Plant)
-a tornado of leaves (Grass Pledge)

And the Ghost techniques are limited to:
-A quill arrow that holds an opponent in place (Spirit Shackle)
-creating an energy ball....of shadow energy (Shadow Ball)
-a swipe with shadow energy (Shadow Claw)
-a shiny light that disorients an opponent (Confuse Ray)
-a gust of wind....that's SPOOOooOOOOoooOOOKYYYY (Ominous Wind)

Nothing that really screams "unique gameplay", in retrospect.

But hey, that's why there are other moves that are available within the learnset that can help create something unique and interesting. It's not like all of the Pokémon in Smash use moves exclusive to their types and are reflective of every Pokémon that has that type, right?

Which is why I have to laugh at people that discredit Incineroar for being Fire/Dark type just because Charizard and Greninja supposedly "cover" those types. It's not the type that matters. It's what the individual Pokémon is capable of.

The only time a Pokémon's type (as well as the whole "Starter type trio" thing) actually meant anything was in Brawl with Pokémon Trainer, as there was a specific gimmick involved with their typing.
What I mainly meant was that the added Ghost type could bring some neat super armor opportunities to enhance Decidueye's gameplay. Like, since he's mainly a ranged attacker, one of his close up attacks could have him phase out while charging, to make him not a total sitting duck (owl) up close. :p That kinda thing.

That and how awesome Spirit Shackle could be in theory, though that's just Ghost by coincidence and isn't neat just because of the typing.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Gotta love some Fanon Discontinuity

I have almost no idea of what B is supposed to represent but I'm assuming you passed so congrats
B is essentially an 85% or so, if you don't use American grading. :p

Burruni

Smash Hero
This guy made a very good theory video on Fates, I highly recommend his content despite the fact Benny Boy didn't get to upload much for over a year due to personal circumstances
btw swear warning
He oly got 1 of 3 right.
Owain's Henry's boy. The "Fell Blood" is just as much of a line as his stuff about legendary tomes which Ophelia follows.
Severa's more up to debate but I stick by Donnel.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What I mainly meant was that the added Ghost type could bring some neat super armor opportunities to enhance Decidueye's gameplay. Like, since he's mainly a ranged attacker, one of his close up attacks could have him phase out while charging, to make him not a total sitting duck (owl) up close. :p That kinda thing.

That and how awesome Spirit Shackle could be in theory, though that's just Ghost by coincidence and isn't neat just because of the typing.
Not even a phantom hit smh. That'd be some chaotic bull****

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
Is PlayStation Plus worth it?
It is necessarily for online play for PS4 sadly. That being said it comes with some nice features like a free set of games for all your PS systems every month and cloud saves. Take that for what it's worth.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You know one of the things I can always look forward to? People bashing on SAO because it'll always be funn and enjoyable to watch
This time, instead of ****ting on SAO the anime, it's on SAO the game inside the anime
Btw, language warning
It sucked before all the murder stuff was added in the day one update
I like FF2...

D

Deleted member

Ah. If Decidueye could actually phase out, that would be an interesting feature.
Though honestly, I'm not sure what Ghost characteristics it truly has since it seems as if its typing is exclusively because of what it's based on. It has the least "ghostly" attributes of all the Ghost types. :p

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I gave he a nice Thank you and have a good Christmas message, Its not everyday you get a professor that answeres and helps you so quickly over Email

Now to sign up for Math next semester, hopefully pass that too and graduate

Apparently, its a problem with the system as my classmates haven't been able to pull up their grade also

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ah. If Decidueye could actually phase out, that would be an interesting feature.
Though honestly, I'm not sure what Ghost characteristics it truly has since it seems as if its typing is exclusively because of what it's based on. It has the least "ghostly" attributes of all the Ghost types. :p
Yeah, for me it's basically wait and see to find out just how non-corporeal other things like the anime allow Decidueye to be/how much leeway Sakurai would be allowed.

I mean, it fits thematically at least. Snipers should have good camouflage. :p

D

Deleted member

Owls in general are associated with ghosts with Ghosts in Hawaii.

Also fun fact, unlike the all seeing eye, the Owl is actually a symbol of the Illuminati. :p

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
About to go to Walt Disney World in two days myself.

I've never been to Disneyland though, that's a place I really want to go to.
I'm kind of the opposite there; I've never been to Walt Disney World but would really like to someday. I hope you enjoy the trip there.

The park in this state is pretty great. I've practically grown up going to it, especially around the holiday season.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
So Ura Ura , you tagged me a couple of times while it was loading, have you tried Uprising yet?

D

Deleted member

Yeah, for me it's basically wait and see to find out just how non-corporeal other things like the anime allow Decidueye to be/how much leeway Sakurai would be allowed.

I mean, it fits thematically at least. Snipers should have good camouflage. :p
....now I'm picturing Decidueye pulling its hood closed going "I'M INVISIBLE YOU CAN'T SEE ME!"

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
7 notifications in like half an hour. Geez.
I'm convinced you can't read. Prof said "I hate seeing people hate on characters for smash regardless of their reason"
You said "Actually, I hate that character for Smash because of a different reason"
Well it's an opinion backed by statements Sakurai made himself. Sorry if people hate to hear that but it's how I feel. Not everyone is going to agree on the same thing.
yeah, I passed the class, I thought I would get a C, a grade below a B, but shocker, I did better then I actually thought i would
Yes, that's the trick.

When you think you did well on an exam it'll turn out that you didn't do all that well and when you think you did bad you'll do better than what you thought.

This happens for the majority of my exams. Reverse psychology is the key to success. :)

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Not to become another BluePikmin11 or anything, but I wonder why so many people are against Yo-Kai Watch or the idea of Jibanyan being a Smash newcomer.

Sure the games failed to make a big impression on the West, but that doesn't mean the games are legitimately bad. Then there's the people that find Jibanyan as a mascot "ugly" (or blame Cheeksqueak for the Yo-Kai overall "ugly" designs).

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Decidueye is based off of an extinct animal that were once native to Hawaii. Meanwhile, Sableye is a crystal eating cave imp.

Who has the least ghostly attributes again?

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So Ura Ura , you tagged me a couple of times while it was loading, have you tried Uprising yet?
Yeah, I have. I played through the first 3 chapters of the game and the gameplay is pretty fun in addition to all the slapstick humor in the game. I tend to like games that don't take themselves too seriously (i.e. Banjo) so this game is a breath of fresh air. I got a feeling it's going to get better here on out though.

Also realized how much of an influence this game was to Smash 3DS. The Main Menu is nearly identical to Smash 3DS and things like Intensity from Classic mode was derrived from this game.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Decidueye is based off of an extinct animal that were once native to Hawaii. Meanwhile, Sableye is a crystal eating cave imp.

What is gastly based on?

Silent but deadly?

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero

Nah this thing's really got the shady spookstr kind of ghost look to it.
If you asked someone "what type is this Pokemon," you'd probably hear Ghost/Rock.

D

Deleted member

Owls being representation of spirits is more of a better reason for it being ghost rather than it being based an extinct animal, TBH. It works, just not so much on its own(the owls being the literal symbol of ghosts and death does though.) and using that logic for other extinct animals, if there was a dodo pokemon would it be ghost type? :p(Man I wish dodo birds were still around.)

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
the Owl is actually a symbol of the Illuminati. :p
The real reason Opossum Opossum likes Decidueye

Sure the games failed to make a big impression on the West, but that doesn't mean the games are legitimately bad. Then there's the people that find Jibanyan as a mascot "ugly" (or blame Cheeksqueak for the Yo-Kai overall "ugly" designs).
You pretty much answered yourself there.
People don't like the design, fair enough.
People didn't like the game/have no interest. Also fair.
It's not surprising then that people are against the idea. People would rather see things that they actually have an interest in or think looks good.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I know the owl is the symbol of the god worshiped by the globalists that run the United States, including George Bus

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Not to become another BluePikmin11 or anything, but I wonder why so many people are against Yo-Kai Watch or the idea of Jibanyan being a Smash newcomer.

Some reason why people were yelling about Pokemon not being one of the Olympic mascots but Jibanyan is

Last edited:

Chrono.

Decidueye having sharpshooter/assassin traits makes me think it's Ghost type is based more around that rather than supernatural or spectral qualities, which it could still have (his signature move, for one).

We just gotta wait till we see it in some other material like the anime.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sure the games failed to make a big impression on the West
I think that's one of the main issues. The series has limited appeal in the west, and thus Jibanyan's western support is also limited.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think that's one of the main issues. The series has limited appeal in the west, and thus Jibanyan's western support is also limited.
I really don't know what they expected.

And it probably hurt the games more that the latest entries released in the west were released so close to the release of pokemon Sun and Moon. I haven't bought them and I actually enjoy Yokai Watch.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I really don't know what they expected.

And it probably hurt the games more that the latest entries released in the west were released so close to the release of pokemon Sun and Moon. I haven't bought them and I actually enjoy Yokai Watch.
My YW2 Review

"It fixed like 30% of the problems of the first game, gives you the bike about 40% of the game too late, but doesn't fix its biggest problems and has a final boss difficulty spike as bad as Xenoblade X."
6/10, YW1 being 5/10.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Owls being representation of spirits is more of a better reason for it being ghost rather than it being based an extinct animal, TBH. It works, just not so much on its own(the owls being the literal symbol of ghosts and death does though.) and using that logic for other extinct animals, if there was a dodo pokemon would it be ghost type? :p(Man I wish dodo birds were still around.)
I figured getting too in depth wasn't nessasary, but if I must...

Decidueye is similar to the pueo owl, which is a common physical form of the aumakua or ancestor spirits in Hawaiian culture. Considering Alola is based off of Hawaii, and Decidueye shares multiple traits with pueo owls, this alone is why its typing makes sense.

Sableye is a stylization of the Hopkinsville Goblin, a creature from an alleged Kentucky "alien encounter" described as having shining eyes, small legs, clawed arms and swaying hips (a movement that Sableye imitates in the 3D Pokémon games). This Pokémon is a ghost because..?

There. Point proved. Give me my cookies.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Some reason why people were yelling about Pokemon not being one of the Olympic mascots but Jibanyan is
In other words, the same old Pokémon extremists?

Not like Digimon threatened Pokemon's popularity back in the day.

D

Deleted member

I figured getting too in depth wasn't nessasary, but if I must...

Decidueye is similar to the pueo owl, which is a common physical form of the aumakua or ancestor spirits in Hawaiian culture. Considering Alola is based off of Hawaii, and Decidueye shares multiple traits with pueo owls, this alone is why its typing makes sense.

Sableye is a stylization of the Hopkinsville Goblin, a creature from an alleged Kentucky "alien encounter" described as having shining eyes, small legs, clawed arms and swaying hips (a movement that Sableye imitates in the 3D Pokémon games). This Pokémon is a ghost because..?

There. Point proved. Give me my cookies.
True, and that's what I meant. The fact that it's based off an owl that's not only extinct, but also associated with many things spirit related. If it was based off an extinct animal alone it wouldn't make much sense.

Also Decidueye, as much as we know about it currently, doesn't appear to be that ghost-like. Compared to most ghost types blatantly appear to be ghost regardless of what they're based off of. Sableye at least blatantly looks ghost-like.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My YW2 Review

"It fixed like 30% of the problems of the first game, gives you the bike about 40% of the game too late, but doesn't fix its biggest problems and has a final boss difficulty spike as bad as Xenoblade X."
6/10, YW1 being 5/10.
It's got playable Slimanander, who I heard is extremely competitively viable even though he's only a B rank... And he's like my favorite Yokai. So, that's why I still want to play it

Did they solve the problem with the slot machine? I literally had to cheat the in game clock over and over to get tokens and still never got the Yokai I wanted because there is like a 1/10000 chance of getting them or something stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom