• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
New Generations episode is up.

It's Emma!
I have mixed feelings about this episode.

On the one hand, it's Emma finally! She was one of the few characters I liked in XY and I always enjoyed the Looker Episode with her and Mimi, so it's great to see them give attention to her. With that excitement gone however, I don't think this episode did the best job with her. We do get a bit of her history (minus Calem/Serena as mostly usual) and her relationship with Looker is decently showcased (especially with the hug at the end), and we get to see her in action as Essentia, but they remove a good amount of her context here. We don't fully see how she develops as a character, the relationship is limited by the time of the episode and doesn't have the development it had in the games either, and most importantly they almost completely ignore Xenosic for whatever reason despite him being so important not only to her, but also her Essentia persona and this scene as a whole. That's quite a bit to be missing from her story to me, and it kind of hurts this episode to not have those scenes here since they're part of the reason she's such a likeable character and why the Looker Bureau was a highlight as a whole.

I didn't really dislike this episode, but considering this is the first time she's had an animated appearance, I'm pretty disappointed with how she was handled here. I do partially blame this on the format they chose for Generations since there's only so much they can show in 5 minutes (though they only used three), but even so it's still a fault held back this episode and a fault that other episodes did manage to work around a lot better.

Anyway, it looks like AZ is the last episode of the shorts. I'm guessing it's going to be about the war and his wanderings since they skipped over the main Team Flare climax, with AZ Florette and maybe Xerneas inserted in there somewhere. Hopefully they expand on bit on him since he's in the same position as Lysandre for me in terms of the implementation of his character and role.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I consider that an upgrade. :p

Also I don't think it's putting an emphasis on postgame as much as XY not having a lot of material to work with.
What I meant was that we've gotten a lot of PG episodes focused on post-game events...

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
WOW....
It's already fixed!
Good job, great job, great good job @Warchamp7 .
Now, it is time for someone to BITE ZA DUSTO!!

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
So um. How do I get my wishiwashi to go all big and mean looking?
cheers in advance!

In other news, I've got grinding to do. No chance against the Elite 4 atm hahaha...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Everytime someone names Decidueye to be only slightly less likely than Inkling I'm like whoa dude I like him too but he ain't a shoo-in calm down
I mean, I do think Decidueye is among, say, the Top Five most likely characters to be added in a Smash 4 Switch port, but that says more about how outlandishly unlikely I view most characters' odds this time around.

Hell, coming up with five in general was tough since I highly doubt we'd get more than four at most.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
It honestly touches mee that Ducktales is getting this love.
Partially because Scrooge is one of my favorite disney characters period.

Yes. There's always that "Old Scroog" personality, harshness to him. But it's born out of sternness over a lifetime earned.
And if you dig just a bit you find a lot more to him.

While I did love Alann Young's last rol in Ducktales Remastered for him, I can't help but be.... cautious, for the new VA.
Scrooge McDuck is a character I really started to appreciate the older I got.

He's a very well-written character and a lovable one to boot.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
What in the good day is up my friendiddilies?
AMAZING AIRFLOW
Kurri's Discord has consumed me. I'm roleplaying.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I mean, I do think Decidueye is among, say, the Top Five most likely characters to be added in a Smash 4 Switch port, but that says more about how outlandishly unlikely I view most characters' odds this time around.

Hell, coming up with five in general was tough since I highly doubt we'd get more than four at most.
I feel there's a difference between a Sun and Moon newcomer being top 5 likely and Decidueye specifically making the cut.

Also, I don't think there's that little likely newcomers.
There's Inkling, veterans, ballot heavyweights, promotional shizzle.
EDIT2: Don't forget things that were planned but cut: Rhythm Heaven comes to mind

EDIT: To make it concrete:

1. Inkling
2. Wolf
3. Jibanyan
4. Geno
5. King K. Rool

Sun and Moon Pokémon also heavily depend on when development started for Smash Switch

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Generations thoughts, as per usual.
WHY WAS WHAT IS LIKELY THE LAST LOOKER EPISODE A THREE MINUTE ONE INSTEAD OF FOUR?

That aside, yay Looker Bureau! Totally called this one. :p
Then again it's not like XY had a ton of compelling story moments to work with, and the Looker Bureau side quest is generally looked at favorably.

Loved the feel of this episode. I could watch a whole series about Looker honestly. Easily my favorite Pokémon character.
#Justice4Mimi

All in all I give it a "Give me a Looker spin-off series costarring Anabel with Emma making cameos and Generations' tone please"/10

Last one is basically confirmed to be the AZ episode, considering he's on the poster and is part of the only story event for Kalos left. Here's hoping they end on a high note! Still wish they'd do three for Alola though.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I've got a very controversial Smash Opinion.

Sandbag would be one of the best possible characters to add. He'd even rep the series as a whole

And Generations was nice. I'm surprised no Xerosic though. It would have been cool to have them showcase that side to, and maybe even end with the dinner scene.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Almost forgot to mention someone's birthday.

It's Ludwig von Beethoven's!
(He celebrated his birthday on the 16th.)

Enjoy one of my favorites, the fanale to the 9th Symphony.

D

Deleted member

The only thing that really makes smash great for me is playing it with friends. Besides that usually the content gets stale faster than it should. Mainly because CPUs don't bring as much excitememt as real players you know do.

Brawl had a story mode that could've kept me entertained and had me replay over and over. But the story mode is huge wasted potential. It's not the plot or anything that bugs me, I don't expect a well written story, it's just that they used forgetbable enemies rather than Nintendo ones.(Besides Mario.) Big pet peeve of mine.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Mark my words, the Rabbids will be the next bandwagon character once that Mario Rabbid RPG is finally revealed.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Generations was pretty neat. Hard to believe there's only one episode left after this.

And Duck Tales looks promising. It's been AGES since I watched the original series though (the Remastered game was kick ass too). Looking forward to it.

D

Deleted member

I caught up with the BSD manga and forgot to watch the new Jojo and PG lol
Now to actually watch PG while Jojo downloads
I really wish they'd do Alola

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I feel there's a difference between a Sun and Moon newcomer being top 5 likely and Decidueye specifically making the cut.

Also, I don't think there's that little likely newcomers.
There's Inkling, veterans, ballot heavyweights, promotional shizzle.
EDIT2: Don't forget things that were planned but cut: Rhythm Heaven comes to mind

EDIT: To make it concrete:

1. Inkling
2. Wolf
3. Jibanyan
4. Geno
5. King K. Rool

Sun and Moon Pokémon also heavily depend on when development started for Smash Switch
Figured I would elaborate my thoughts on this.

With me specifying Decidueye, it's mainly because he and Incineroar are the only two Alolan Pokémon I see as viable options (some bring up Mimikyu or Silvally, but I seriously don't see them as viable picks) and of the two I just see Decidueye as more likely. Hence me specifying Decidueye instead of "Sun/Moon Pokémon."

And maybe it just stems from my over all pessimism that we'd get an exorbitant variety of characters in a port, but I'll try to explain why I feel certain characters are likelier than others for Smash 4 Switch.

First off, I'm going into this using what happened with Smash 4's DLC as a basis. None of the characters were too complex: all were either returning veterans or newcomers who were mostly straightforward (there were no "Rosalina"s or "Olimar"s). The most complex was arguably Bayonetta, though she's justified by being the ballot winner. She was special.

Then there's the fact that there's a possibility of Sakurai not being involved. IIRC he said he was working on something recently, but we don't know what. Yeah it could be the port, but if it's not, he may not return, especially considering his health and the toll Smash puts on him in general. And if he does return, these same things may lead him to add less characters anyway. Then there's just the matter if enhanced ports generally not adding too much anyway.

That being said, Nintendo obviously wants to use it as a system seller (it's Smash, after all). They know it would need at least some new characters (and not just vets) if they want the Wii U and 3DS crowd to be more likely to upgrade. Characters sell Smash, simply.

That brings me back to the DLC philosophy thing. Since so few new characters would be added under the assumption above, every one of them counts. Normally I'd say yeah, them going back to the Chorus Kids is really likely since they were planned for Wii U/3DS, but I think they need to pull bigger guns if they want folks to be more likely to upgrade. Doing what they know would sell is key, hence why I believe the few characters added will be a mix of veterans, IP juggernauts, and known to be popular characters (in ALL regions, more than likely). Surprise/niche characters or ones mainly popular on one side of the globe likely have to wait until the next fully new iteration of Smash.

Sun and Moon were Nintendo's only huge title this year (if we exclude Fire Emblem Fates since the Japanese release was 2015, the only other big success was Kirby Planet Robobot, which is a considerable drop off after Pokémon). They're also the games celebrating the twentieth anniversary of the second best selling video game franchise in history. And if we factor in the Stars leak, Alola isn't leaving relevance anytime soon. As such, I see Decidueye as a near lock, personally (though like I said, I'm not fully counting out Incineroar; I just think he's less likely than Decidueye).

To reiterate, I think we'll get three to four characters that they know are popular/relevant/would sell. IMO the most likely scenario is this:
- Ice Climbers (easiest to do since they have leftover data and were "nearly complete" (we don't know how far along the Chorus Kids were)
- Inkling (huge popularity juggernaut that likely also did well on the Smash Ballot)
- Decidueye (among the most popular Alola Pokémon, has unique typing among the current Smash Pokémon that could lead to unique gameplay, offers a full-on archer playstyle that Smash currently lacks while also utilizing a unique way of trapping foes)

And if there's a fourth...

- Third party character that did well on the ballot (Shovel Knight, IMO) or Wolf

I don't expect everyone to agree with my thought process, but I figured I'd share it. This is also not a "try to change my viewpoint" post either, before people get ideas ;D. Just my reasoning for thinking the way I do.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I just watched the last episode of JoJo.
And...
HOLY KILLER QUEEN, IT WAS AWEEEEEEEEEEEEEESOME!!!!!!!
David Production really saved their budget for that episode, it's beautiful.
And the OP have SFX, like, are you seriouuuuuus?
Mamma mia! This episode is just pure fanservice - in the good sense of the word - and I love it for it.
Now Kira, it is time to get BEATDOWN.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've got internet again.

Yay

Working off my phone alone was annoying

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Figured I would elaborate my thoughts on this.

With me specifying Decidueye, it's mainly because he and Incineroar are the only two Alolan Pokémon I see as viable options (some bring up Mimikyu or Silvally, but I seriously don't see them as viable picks) and of the two I just see Decidueye as more likely. Hence me specifying Decidueye instead of "Sun/Moon Pokémon."

And maybe it just stems from my over all pessimism that we'd get an exorbitant variety of characters in a port, but I'll try to explain why I feel certain characters are likelier than others for Smash 4 Switch.

First off, I'm going into this using what happened with Smash 4's DLC as a basis. None of the characters were too complex: all were either returning veterans or newcomers who were mostly straightforward (there were no "Rosalina"s or "Olimar"s). The most complex was arguably Bayonetta, though she's justified by being the ballot winner. She was special.

Then there's the fact that there's a possibility of Sakurai not being involved. IIRC he said he was working on something recently, but we don't know what. Yeah it could be the port, but if it's not, he may not return, especially considering his health and the toll Smash puts on him in general. And if he does return, these same things may lead him to add less characters anyway. Then there's just the matter if enhanced ports generally not adding too much anyway.

That being said, Nintendo obviously wants to use it as a system seller (it's Smash, after all). They know it would need at least some new characters (and not just vets) if they want the Wii U and 3DS crowd to be more likely to upgrade. Characters sell Smash, simply.

That brings me back to the DLC philosophy thing. Since so few new characters would be added under the assumption above, every one of them counts. Normally I'd say yeah, them going back to the Chorus Kids is really likely since they were planned for Wii U/3DS, but I think they need to pull bigger guns if they want folks to be more likely to upgrade. Doing what they know would sell is key, hence why I believe the few characters added will be a mix of veterans, IP juggernauts, and known to be popular characters (in ALL regions, more than likely). Surprise/niche characters or ones mainly popular on one side of the globe likely have to wait until the next fully new iteration of Smash.

Sun and Moon were Nintendo's only huge title this year (if we exclude Fire Emblem Fates since the Japanese release was 2015, the only other big success was Kirby Planet Robobot, which is a considerable drop off after Pokémon). They're also the games celebrating the twentieth anniversary of the second best selling video game franchise in history. And if we factor in the Stars leak, Alola isn't leaving relevance anytime soon. As such, I see Decidueye as a near lock, personally (though like I said, I'm not fully counting out Incineroar; I just think he's less likely than Decidueye).

To reiterate, I think we'll get three to four characters that they know are popular/relevant/would sell. IMO the most likely scenario is this:
- Ice Climbers (easiest to do since they have leftover data and were "nearly complete" (we don't know how far along the Chorus Kids were)
- Inkling (huge popularity juggernaut that likely also did well on the Smash Ballot)
- Decidueye (among the most popular Alola Pokémon, has unique typing among the current Smash Pokémon that could lead to unique gameplay, offers a full-on archer playstyle that Smash currently lacks while also utilizing a unique way of trapping foes)

And if there's a fourth...

- Third party character that did well on the ballot (Shovel Knight, IMO) or Wolf

I don't expect everyone to agree with my thought process, but I figured I'd share it. This is also not a "try to change my viewpoint" post either, before people get ideas ;D. Just my reasoning for thinking the way I do.
*pews into speculation mode*

Yeah, Decidueye is one of the very few viable Sun and Moon Poké imo.

I feel that if you use the Smash 4 DLC as a template for Smash Switch's characters, you need to take into account the massive amount of third parties and veterans as well, which leaves less room for Decidueye.
Veterans sell, couple that with a big bang third party and there's your system seller.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm not expecting any Pokémon reps (of any generation) in Smash Switch at all regardless of how many characters we get.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
*pews into speculation mode*

Yeah, Decidueye is one of the very few viable Sun and Moon Poké imo.

I feel that if you use the Smash 4 DLC as a template for Smash Switch's characters, you need to take into account the massive amount of third parties and veterans as well, which leaves less room for Decidueye.
Veterans sell, couple that with a big bang third party and there's your system seller.
I took veterans into account (Ice Climbers being the most likely, with Wolf on that list possibly superseding a third party in addition)...the main issue is that so few veterans are left that stand a reasonable shot. :p Decidueye would compare more to a more well-received Corrin in that scenario, with Inklings being almost the Bayonnetta equivalent (overwhelming popularity).

Though for obvious reasons it wouldn't be the same blow for blow.

D

Deleted member

I just watched the last episode of JoJo.
And...
HOLY KILLER QUEEN, IT WAS AWEEEEEEEEEEEEEESOME!!!!!!!
David Production really saved their budget for that episode, it's beautiful.
And the OP have SFX, like, are you seriouuuuuus?
Mamma mia! This episode is just pure fanservice - in the good sense of the word - and I love it for it.
Now Kira, it is time to get BEATDOWN.
Ghost Dad finally went down
Man, I love how creative Josuke is with his powers, this was one of the reasons I loved Joseph so much

AND WHEN OKUYASU SHOWED UP AND PULLED A BIG DAMN HEROES MOMENT THAT WAS GLORIOUS
I really thought he was dead and I guess he kinda was but if Jojo taught me anything is that people can be revived... unless you're a character introduced in Stardust Crusaders

Beatdown? Kira's about to receive a BREAKDOWN

D

Deleted member

- Decidueye (has unique typing among the current Smash Pokémon that could lead to unique gameplay)
Not saying this in direct response to you specifically, but I feel like this needs to be said in regards to Smash speculation and Pokémon.
It's logic like this that really gets me about people that use a Pokémon's typing as means to both hype up a Pokémon and discredit another.
Decidueye is Grass and Ghost type, which means there are so many options that make it special and unique based on that alone, right?
Wrong.

Decidueye's Grass techniques are limited to just:
-tossing leaves (Leafage and Razor Leaf)
-a self-healing technique, which would not be included for obvious reasons (Synthesis)
-using a sword made of leaves (Leaf Blade)
-creating an energy ball (Energy Ball)
-creating a giant beam of energy (Solar Beam)
-creating some kind of knot for people to trip over? (Grass Knot)
-spawning giant thorns to attack an opponent(s) en masse in a Final Smash manner that would be excluded because Sinister Arrow Rain exists (Frenzy Plant)
-a tornado of leaves (Grass Pledge)

And the Ghost techniques are limited to:
-A quill arrow that holds an opponent in place (Spirit Shackle)
-creating an energy ball....of shadow energy (Shadow Ball)
-a swipe with shadow energy (Shadow Claw)
-a shiny light that disorients an opponent (Confuse Ray)
-a gust of wind....that's SPOOOooOOOOoooOOOKYYYY (Ominous Wind)

Nothing that really screams "unique gameplay", in retrospect.

But hey, that's why there are other moves that are available within the learnset that can help create something unique and interesting. It's not like all of the Pokémon in Smash use moves exclusive to their types and are reflective of every Pokémon that has that type, right?

Which is why I have to laugh at people that discredit Incineroar for being Fire/Dark type just because Charizard and Greninja supposedly "cover" those types. It's not the type that matters. It's what the individual Pokémon is capable of.

The only time a Pokémon's type (as well as the whole "Starter type trio" thing) actually meant anything was in Brawl with Pokémon Trainer, as there was a specific gimmick involved with their typing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Ghost Dad finally went down
Man, I love how creative Josuke is with his powers, this was one of the reasons I loved Joseph so much

AND WHEN OKUYASU SHOWED UP AND PULLED A BIG DAMN HEROES MOMENT THAT WAS GLORIOUS
I really thought he was dead and I guess he kinda was but if Jojo taught me anything is that people can be revived... unless you're a character introduced in Stardust Crusaders

Beatdown? Kira's about to receive a BREAKDOWN
After seeing this, Josuke is definily Joseph's son in my eyes. Damn that was awesome.
Okuyasu finally showing off his stand was also awesome. Really, seeing a brojo finally avoiding the fate of being killed at the end just put a smile on my face.
And a breakdown you say? Well, yeah, he is going to get one. But I think that, sadly for him, he is going to BITE ZA DUSTO

Speaking of that, CAN CHRISTMAS CAN COME SOONER? I JUST WANT TO PLAY JOJO ALL-STAR BATTLE FOR DIO SAKE!!! I WANT TO PLAY THE DUWANG!!!!!
By the way, do you have ASB?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Smash controversial opinions ?
- Waluigi is fine as an Assist and should always be.
- Metroid really needs more stages and music tracks than new characters.
- DLCs were finely priced, though it could have been done better.
- The Ballot was wasted potential.
- Zelda doesn't need new character, both playable-wise and Assist-wise
- Smash Tour was a fine addition, it was just poorly executed.
- Cruel Smash should have never, EVER existed.
- Elma has slimmer chances than everyone think, since how Xenoblade X's reception has been rather mixed.
- Fire Emblem should have no newcomer, nor any cut.
- Cranky Kong has as much of a chance as a DK newcomer than Dixie and K. Rool.
- Subspace Emissary was meh.
- The only fine 4th-party additions I could see are Mickey Mouse and Darth Vader.
- To my own regret, Decidueye's chances will be very old news by the time Smash Switch will be in production.
- Daisy would be a fine addition, as an Assist.
- Mario's and Kirby's rosters don't need the addition of (Captain) Toad and Bandana Dee.
- Despite what Frostwraith and others said about him, I still think Black Shadow would be a fine Falcondorf substitute.
- Frigate Orpheon was an underrated stage.
- While Poké Floats was overrated.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Vikavolt is the best choice for Smash. Don't argue. OK argue over a clearly sarcastic comment.

Mark my words, the Rabbids will be the next bandwagon character once that Mario Rabbid RPG is finally revealed.
Wouldn't be surprising, since most games Nintendo releases nowadays gets a bandwagon character. Elma? Bandwagon. Inkling? Bandwagon. Decidueye? Bandwagon. Heck, it's hard to find a character that started gathering popularity in the post Smash 4 era that's not a bandwagon character.

:094:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Have people forgotten how ridiculously popular Pokémon is? To think there is no chance of a Pokémon from the new generation to show up in the next Smash seems silly to me.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Controversial Smash Opinion since its the cool thing to do....

Everyone is a shoo-in...
...and also no one is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom