• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
- Ganondorf should've been held back until Brawl, in order to give him an unique moveset. Being a clone in Melee means that he is stuck as a semi-clone most likely forever.
- "Kid Icarus has so many Smash Run enemies compared to others because of reused assets in Uprising" argument is flawed. Mario, DK, Kirby and several others had games on the 3DS as well, couldn't they have reused assets from them, as well? I don't mean that I think Sakurai is biased, but it just seems strange to me.
EDIT: Got an explanation to the latter.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
- Ganondorf should've been held back until Brawl, in order to give him an unique moveset. Being a clone in Melee means that he is stuck as a semi-clone most likely forever.
- "Kid Icarus has so many Smash Run enemies compared to others because of reused assets in Uprising" argument is flawed. Mario, DK, Kirby and several others had games on the 3DS as well, couldn't they have reused assets from them, as well? I don't mean that I think Sakurai is biased, but it just seems strange to me.
Sakurai had full access to his own game's data so porting was miles easier

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
That really doesn't sound like a controversial opinion. I think everyone here would want the same thing.
Yeah, but most people here seem okay with the idea of a Switch port though, but I'm not.

I'm rather apprehensive about what it means for an Switch sequel.

D

Deleted member

Soul Silver update:
I got tricked into thinking Crobat was the only Pokemon my Nidoking couldn't deal with. I was so wrong, nothing on Janine's team is weak to ground and half of it even carries Psychic for ****'s sake
Crobat went down easily to a Thunderbolt, Ariados's Psychic wasn't strong enough to threaten Poliwrath and I simply put Weezing to Sleep with Poliwrath too incase it had Explosion. The second Ariados went down to two Earthquakes but then, ****, I never expected a Venomoth to be so strong, and the fact it carried Psychic didn't help as 2/3 of my usable Pokemon are weak to that.
My Jolteon was the only one that even stood a chance against it but Sludge Bomb was a 3HKO, almost a 2HKO, meaning if the 30% Poison chance triggered on the second hit, the battle was over. Luckily, the Poison never came and its Double Teams were effectivelly useless as they didn't help it dodge the Thunderbolts.
Though I did have to savrifice my Female Nidoran for a switch out, she was just a Cut slave so eh.

Team update:
Alexander the Nidoking Lv50(yay finally some Poison STAB)
Rem the Poliwrath Lv49
Claire the Jolteon Lv49
Artelinde the Murkrow Lv40
Corotangul the HM Slave Gyarados Lv26
Medusa the F-Nidoran *Dead*

Now to complete the Power Plant sidequest and bolt through Misty's gym
Or Sabrina if Murkrow gets strong enough, whatever happens first

EDIT: Shout out to the guy with a Lv65 Magikarp on Route 13, you the true MVP
For the record, outside of rematches, his Magikarp has the highest level after Red's team in HGSS, even stronger than Blue's Pidgeot

Also, finally evolved my Murkrow after she learned Sucker Punch
Damn, she's, like, super frail but she has the highest offensive stats of my team with the same Atk as a Brave Nidoking that is 6 levels higher than her
Tho she'll be needing the Quick Claw with that speed

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm starting to think some people really don't realize what's controversial and what isn't. :p

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
I guess I'll hop in with my own bad Smash opinions here.

You fools can go specualte all you guys want. I'll be playing Guilty Gear on my new super potato of a lappy.

Also this is a really good point in my opinion:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Controversial Smash Opinion that I'm not afraid to spoiler:

-Ridley is overrated and Sakurai is justified in not including him.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think my Smash opinions are more or less the common thought process (outside Smashboards at least) and most of you already know most of them.

Although one opinion that I have is that Sakurai doesn't have a bias towards Kirby or Kid Icarus but has one towards Fire Emblem whether it's intentional or non-intentional. We didn't end up with the roster we have out of the blue. For the sake of not ruffling any feathers i'll leave it at that.
I don't have one.

I just want Rayman, dammit.
We all feel that way to our most requested character lol.
I agree with Dorf being held back to Brawl. He would have ended up a lot better because the clone status wouldn't stick to him forever and would have spread out Zelda newcomers more evenly instead of not having any for 2 games straight. Black Shadow could have easily filled the niche of Falcon clone in the game and hindsight being what it is I wished that happened.
Controversial Smash Opinion that I'm not afraid to spoiler:

-Ridley is overrated and Sakurai is justified in not including him.
Hide before the Ridley fans come for your soul! :roll:

Though TBH i'm not interested in Ridley as a character as well though I don't have anything against the character.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Lemme add to that that it's blasphemy to include Ridley and K. Rool in the same sentence as Toad when it comes to missing All-Stars.
Toad is on a different plane of All-Starryness alltogether, surpassing 90% of the roster in All-Starryness

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I view "All-Stars" as nothing more than a marketing pull for a character to be put in the game by it's support base.

Honestly I feel that being an "All-Star" had little to no barring on a character's chances unless we're talking the likes of :4mario::4luigi::4dk::4link::4pikachu:.

D

Deleted member

Controversial opinion:
People like having controversial opinions for the sake of being controversial

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Smash opinions?

• Ridley isn't too big so much as has poor proportions for downsizing. The appearance he has in the Melee opening is however possibly usable. Actual balance is another problem due to his hugely long tail.
  • I'm quite happy with the current Pokemon cast, but I'd like Pichu back before Squirtle and Ivysaur. But I actually like showing other Generations love, so eh. To be fair, Ivysaur's tether recovery has to be reworked, and I feel we don't need two Water starters. Second reason is obvious superfluous. For a Gen VII character, I'd prefer Mimikyu.
  • The only two other vets I want to see back right now are Wolf and Ice Climbers via a Switch Port.
  • I'm meh on giving Rhythm Heaven a character, but bring on the Inklings! I haven't played either game/series, for the record.
  • I'd prefer Shovel Knight over Rayman, and Simon Belmont over Snake if possible. That said, I'll gladly take Snake back because he is awesome. Shovel Knight I do want in due to how unique he feels he can be.
  • I want an enhanced Switch Port. I also want a regular new game for Switch, as I doubt a port means it won't get its own unique game. We can ignore patterns here.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Is it still too much to ask to have Midna and Dark Samus added?

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I find it hard to believe that the majority, if not, all of the people that voted for Bayonetta kept quiet during the time span from April-December 2015 "if" she in fact WAS the most requested character at that time.

So many people at least on the internet that is were advocating so hard for King K. Rool, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Wolf, Snake, etc. Didn't really see much support for Bayonetta compared to the other possible candidates soooo...

It makes you wonder if she really did win, or if Sakurai and co. chose her over other popular characters because if she was #1, wouldn't you have seen as much support for her as the others? I'm lost.
The only place I saw major Bayonetta support was VGChartz....and I guess Watchmojo since they included her in thier top wanted DLC Smash characters video and many agreed in the comments.

Most smash/nintendo players at VGC wanted her in. She was like top 10 in that echo chamber when the ballot just started and then eventually became top 5.

But I still thought her chances were bad tho quite decent for 3rd parties so I screamed when I heard her voice. :p
Nope. You never know, even if its a switch port.

I really want them too, and Takamaru & Ashley out of the AT's but I'd choose Midna/Dark Samus first.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
The only place I saw major Bayonetta support was VGChartz....and I guess Watchmojo since they included her in thier top wanted DLC Smash characters video and many agreed in the comments.

Most smash/nintendo players at VGC wanted her in. She was like top 10 in that echo chamber when the ballot just started and then eventually became top 5.

But I still thought her chances were bad tho quite decent for 3rd parties so I screamed when I heard her voice. :p

Nope. You never know, even if

I really want them too, and Takamaru & Ashley out of the AT's but I'd choose Midna/Dark Samus first.
I just wonder how well either one of them could've done on the ballot had they not been ATs...

I feel like Midna at least could've been a strong contender...

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Let's be honest here.

If Sakurai hasn't created a truly new Zelda character since Melee, a one-offer like Midna isn't happening.

Likewise with myself, if a third party like Layton didn't have a chance in his prime years, there's no chance it's happening now.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Never say never I suppose. Though I doubt the port is going to add too many extra fighters.

Should have a good chunk of the stages from the 3DS version though.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Indies don't have a chance in hell for Smash outside of trophies or even being lucky for a stage

And having an indie game rep is stupid because a character being in shouldn't have to be a requirement

We don't need another Metroid character because it ruins the idea of what the franchise is

Also the Smash Ballot was the second worst thing to happen for Smash

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Was referring to the detractors of said characters bringing up specifics that are hardly a consideration or aren't grasping the full extent of a character's potential.

i.e. People throwing K. Rool under the bus because they think he would be a generic heavyweight (as if heavyweights were even that common in Smash Bros when they're not) when they don't understand the appeal and moveset potential the character brings to the game.
I see the potential of King K Rool. I understand the appeal.
Still isn't that appealing to me, tho I would like him he's just near the bottom of my wishlist.
Bandana Dee is another example for me.

Likewise, people see potential in characters like Viridi or Elma yet they are not as popular as K Rool is in the hardcore smash fanbase because she doesn't appeal to that many people.

Simple.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Never say never I suppose. Though I doubt the port is going to add too many extra fighters.

Should have a good chunk of the stages from the 3DS version though.
If its going to be an enhanced port, I don't see any ATs happening at all...

Let's be honest here.

If Sakurai hasn't created a truly new Zelda character since Melee, a one-offer like Midna isn't happening.

Likewise with myself, if a third party like Layton didn't have a chance in his prime years, there's no chance it's happening now.
I think it really depends on whether or not the demand for a new Zelda character is taken into consideration...
One-off or not, Midna is a pretty stand-out character within the Zelda fanbase due to popularity and moveset potential...

As I mentioned I don't see her happening at all for a Smash 4 port...I think its made pretty clear that AT's are simple bones tgrown to fans, though I also believe a good number of them were greatly considered to be made playable including Midna and DS...

D

Deleted member

We don't need another Metroid character because it ruins the idea of what the franchise is
Sooooo, dead? :p I mean, currently that is what it is and the amount of content of what used to be at least a decently large franchise reflects that.

I mean, I'm not being antogonistic or anything, I'm serious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Lemme add to that that it's blasphemy to include Ridley and K. Rool in the same sentence as Toad when it comes to missing All-Stars.
Toad is on a different plane of All-Starryness alltogether, surpassing 90% of the roster in All-Starryness
Going off of this, honestly there's so few All-Stars on the roster in general.

Opinions and such within/things some won't care about/me listing things that likely don't matter but who cares.
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::4bowserjr::rosalina::4wario2::4dk::4diddy::4duckhunt::4link::4zelda::4ganondorf::4pikachu::4charizard::4mewtwo::4lucario::4greninja::4jigglypuff::4mii::4samus::4fox::4marth::4lucina::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4littlemac::4villager::4rob::4pit::4olimar:
Anyone not here I have issues calling a Nintendo All-Star to this subset. Note that SMASH fans are not included here, as the list would be bigger. Third parties removed for obvious reasons.
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::4wario2::4dk::4link::4zelda::4ganondorf::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4charizard::4mewtwo::4kirby::4samus::4fox::4villager::4littlemac::4mii:

:4sonic::4pacman::4megaman::4ryu::4cloud:
These are the ones who I think the general GAMING public would know, or, at the very least, know the series they're from (like, they'd know Punch-Out!! but not Little Mac, or Animal Crossing but not the Villager specifically).
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::4dk::4link:(Appearance only, name not so much):4pikachu::4charizard:
:4sonic::4pacman:

Those guys are the ones that are most likely to be known.
:4kirby::4mewtwo::4wario2::4mii:
Those four are the only other ones that, IMO, have a CHANCE to be known by the general public, though it's harder to say for certain. In my experience people tend to know who these are, but that might just be me.

So yeah, honestly, IMO no one else is even close to All-Star status among Nintendo characters. Hell, there are few video game characters in general who compare, I think. Going by the strictest definition of "All-Star," all but like, three or four were in since Melee.

Just my rambling, but eh, it was fun to think about. :p

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Indies don't have a chance in hell for Smash outside of trophies or even being lucky for a stage

And having an indie game rep is stupid because a character being in shouldn't have to be a requirement

Also the Smash Ballot was the second worst thing to happen for Smash
1) I don't see them having a chance for trophies or stages, either. That said, a trophy would be the most likely to happen.

2) No opinion.

3) How so? I'd love to see Ridley and Sylux join in at some point, personally. I don't really see how it goes against the series.

4) I agree that the Ballot did end up doing more bad than good, but what so you think was the number one worst thing?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I think the "Metroid is about being alone so Samus should be alone on the roster" is half-true.
On one hand, it means there's no big supporting cast to pull from, on the other hand, the Samus vs the rest makes for a lot of interesting villains.
I mean it's not like she's playing Solitaire or Patience in space, she fights against an army of bizarro space creatures.

Then again I thought we were over this whole "representing this part of the series" thing

D

Deleted member

*scream* BSD Ep12 is finally up, I don't want this to be over though. A-at least I h-have the manga to read, r-right?
Jojo when tho

Also, "Metroid is about being alone so Samus should be the only Metroid character" is the most bull**** excuse of detractors because by that logic FE should have ~12 characters in the roster

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
SPEAKING OF BAYONETTA
Bayonetta 3 costume plz
They look awesome!! Salazzle reminded me of Bayonetta the moment the pokemon got revealed / leaked.

It's be pretty neat if one day GF decides to share that Salazzle was partly inspired by Bayonetta.
Probably not the case, but nice to think about it that way.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I think the whole 'Samus should be alone on the roster because she's alone in Metroid' argument is pretty dumb....

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think the whole 'Samus should be alone on the roster because she's alone in Metroid' argument is pretty dumb....
Especially when you consider that many other series only have one playable character. Like the Zelda series. I guess the entire roster should be filled with those one-off helpers, but not Zelda, Ganon, Ganondorf, Sheik, Impa, etc. That's a big reason why the logic doesn't work.

The point of a roster for a franchise is to first have the most important character of it, and then other notable characters afterwards, if any. Pokemon is kind of special in this regard, but then you realize that Pikachu is the mascot, and the Trainer was very difficult to implement till Brawl, and then he couldn't work on the 3DS. He was a neat idea, at least.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Sort of but considering people got absolutely angry over that main character's appearance over a spin-off game and people care more about Samus than anyone else in her own franchise, that's a problem and it's a reason why two Metroid reps is Samus with and without her Power Armor

I may be considered wrong but damn it, Samus is Metroid to a lot of people and you can tell by how the second most memorable character in that franchise is a monsterous dragon and even then his popularity is sort of a major argument over his character.

People may not have liked FF for different reasons but the main complaint has ALWAYS been seen to me as they want Samus back.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I see the potential of King K Rool. I understand the appeal.
Still isn't that appealing to me, tho I would like him he's just near the bottom of my wishlist.
Bandana Dee is another example for me.

Likewise, people see potential in characters like Viridi or Elma yet they are not as popular as K Rool is in the hardcore smash fanbase because she doesn't appeal to that many people.

Simple.
I get that. My post was aimed towards the people who assert false things about characters like what I mentioned before or are just stuck in their ways believing that the character can't bring anything to the table so to speak.

Brought up K. Rool because his hatebase is more or less that argument along with some other stupid stuff.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Samus is alone because no other notable characters can realistically work right now.

Mother Brain? Nope.

Ridley? Nope.

Kraid? Sorry.

Dark Samus? Sure, but she'll be very cloneish.

Sylux? Not notable enough.

I'd like Ridley to work, but he's super awkward to work with. Long tail, large wings, skinny limbs, the thing looks like a emaciated chicken carcass. He's super gnarly and has a ton of character, but the way he has to be significantly more airborne than others while not being either a punching bag (massive hurtbox because of the long tail/wings) or overpowered (heavy character with disjointed/large hitboxes) makes it hard to make a character around.

I can already hear the keyboards warming up, so let's put it this way.

You have to balance a character that must:
1. Feel strong.
2. Fly or stay airborne for a notable time.
3. Posses a projectile attack.
4. Have appendages proportionately large.

You have to do this while:
1. Not making him so light because of his long reach.
2. Not making him too heavy so he's a punching bag due to his size.
3. Staying true to the character found in the games.

I'd start by choosing to sacrifice either his reach or his flight, but then we're getting into awkward territory. Ersatz's Ridley is either a strangely close range fighter or a grounded, winged kaiju.

In a way, Ridley fans (like me) should be glad that a director exists who won't half-step the character.IIt's not a satisfying choice to leave out the character, but sometimes doing nothing is best.

Take this post as my
th (1).jpg

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Sort of but considering people got absolutely angry over that main character's appearance over a spin-off game and people care more about Samus than anyone else in her own franchise, that's a problem and it's a reason why two Metroid reps is Samus with and without her Power Armor

I may be considered wrong but damn it, Samus is Metroid to a lot of people and you can tell by how the second most memorable character in that franchise is a monsterous dragon and even then his popularity is sort of a major argument over his character.

People may not have liked FF for different reasons but the main complaint has ALWAYS been seen to me as they want Samus back.
Because its been a decade since we've had a role from Samus that was well received by most fans...

FF would not have had as many complaints if we know that Nintendo's actually working on a main series game...

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
We are talking about controversial opinion? Then I guess I should do it too.
This is a Controversial Opinion
Did I did it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom