• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
TBH, I'm more tired of hearing more about Trash the Bear than shoo-in.
Meh. I'm over that overrated character. I've found someone betetr that would be perfect for Smash.

That's right, time to make a real splash in Smash!

Er, he's not anymore?
Twas was sarcasm my friend.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Can make pokemon pass down balls in Sun/Moon.

I read they can online, but they haven't once when I tried

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That was never stated in the interview.
Literally, this was all that was said on why Sakurai picked Cloud.

Sakurai:
This isn’t an exact number, but among the requests for a Final Fantasy character to appear in Smash, around ¼ to ⅓ of the requests we got from fans were for Cloud. I really wanted to answer the desires of those fans, and even though I thought it would be impossible, I reached out anyway, just to try.

Nothing about drawing people to the game. Just answering desires of fans.
Ahh, there's the quote.

Of course fan popularity had to be a factor in the first place to get him in the game. I just think Cloud being a huge, highly iconic character had to play a big role in his inclusion especially for being a DLC character; even if it wasn't implicitly stated by Sakurai. Especially with the likes of Ryu being in the game (who I also like being in the game).
Like people and corrin? That character is also pretty damn good as well and it has appeal as well

Id be down for k rool, Im always up for someone new
I'd rather not talk about that character because I know certain users will get upset at me and the usual shtick. Even if it wasn't a negative thing.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Meh. I'm over that overrated character. I've found someone betetr that would be perfect for Smash.

That's right, time to make a real splash in Smash!
Dead meme.

No one uses Stunfisk on their team anymore. :troll:

D

Deleted member

Ahh, there's the quote.

Of course fan popularity had to be a factor in the first place to get him in the game. I just think Cloud being a huge, highly iconic character had to play a big role in his inclusion especially for being a DLC character; even if it wasn't implicitly stated by Sakurai. Especially with the likes of Ryu being in the game (who I also like being in the game).
Then you are missing my point entirely.
Being an icon may have helped influence post-consideration, as we don't know what helps and what doesn't at that stage, but the only reason he was even CONSIDERED (which is the main point I'm addressing) was because of his (and his series') fan requests.

If he didn't have those requests to begin with, being an icon would have meant jack. He would not have been given the time of day let alone a place among DLC.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Oh god Salty Bet just played Knuckles from K.N.U.C.K.L.E.S. & Knuckles: Knuckles in Knuckles the Echidna feat. Knuckles from the Knuckles the Echidna Series [Knuckles of the Year Edition] & Knuckles and it was the best 30 sec of my life

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Funny how people say the Rabbids are "the Minions of Gaming" when the Rabbids came BEFORE they were a thing.

So we can owe it all to those fluffy carrotjobs for possibly inspiring them.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Then you are missing my point entirely.
Being an icon may have helped influence post-consideration, as we don't know what helps and what doesn't at that stage, but the only reason he was even CONSIDERED (which is the main point I'm addressing) was because of his (and his series') fan requests.

If he didn't have those requests to begin with, being an icon would have meant jack. He would not have been given the time of day let alone a place among DLC.
Ah, well said man. That's something I should have caught on earlier.

In this case Cloud would be Mr. Purple though I suppose because he has sizeable support base (Red) and is also apart of a multi-million selling franchise (Blue).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Funny how people say the Rabbids are "the Minions of Gaming" when the Rabbids came BEFORE they were a thing.

So we can owe it all to those fluffy carrotjobs for possibly inspiring them.
Cartoon Fight Club has proven that the Minions would win if they were to fight the Rabbids once day (one of his less cringier videos).

The Minions work better as a team, they have access to Gru's best weapons (which are vastly superior than Rabbid technology), they are stronger (the Purple Ones in particular), they are smarter (since the average Rabbid is dumb as a bag of bricks), and far more durable.

Also, Despicable 3 confirmed. Get ready for more forced Minion merchandise in a couple years.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I prefer using A-Persian for Parting Shot over Silvally for increased bulk and Speed.
>Increased bulk, if you have Fur Coat, helps a bit for physical. But you're far more exposed specially. I like the pivot being mixed.

And, IMO, the speed still handles most of what you come across decently. The extra power of Silvally with iron head and multi attack (kinda should swap it with rturn for normal silvally).

But it is food for thought. Fur Coat actually makes garsian a plausible idea. Mine had technician.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of forced merchandise, am I the only person who wouldn't be surprised if the Star Wars Droid character BB-8 was given its design for the sake of selling toys?

I mean look at it! It's a rolling ball with a head!

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Speaking of forced merchandise, am I the only person who wouldn't be surprised if the Star Wars Droid character BB-8 was given its design for the sake of selling toys?

Maybe.

It worked though, I love BB-8.

Chrono.

True, though at least BB-8 ended up being a really enjoyable character.

Despite not being able to say a word, it's got a lot of personality.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

That could be the case. Because a cute spinning robot sounds like something selling more toys than a more conventional R2 unit (Sorry D2).

Also, anything Hasbro ever is forced merchandise.

D

Deleted member

Ah, well said man. That's something I should have caught on earlier.

In this case Cloud would be Mr. Purple though I suppose because he has sizeable support base (Red) and is also apart of a multi-million selling franchise (Blue).
Well yeah, all of the ones that fan support brought consideration for other than Bayonetta are technically "purple". :p Bayonetta's the only true "red".

My example was for like the hypothetical of a character such as Shantae vs. a character such as Jill Valentine (examples I just thought of now without even realizing the fact Shantae wears red and Jill wears blue).

Resident Evil is a huge franchise and Jill is an icon (I think?) while Shantae isn't that much of an "icon" in comparison with a smaller series that isn't nearly as profitable.
Shantae would be more likely to be considered than Jill regardless because Shantae has noticeable Smash support while Jill has practically none (as far as we can tell, anyway).

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Oooh, I know another forceful merchandise driven character.

Let's be real, Oda clearly made Chopper to be a cute mascot character to sell plushies and merchandise other than for the sake of giving the Strawhats a doctor. Why else would he have his own endless running mobile game and a Palico skin in Monster Hunter?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Oooh, I know another forceful merchandise driven character.

Let's be real, Oda clearly made Chopper to be a cute mascot character to sell plushies and merchandise other than for the sake of giving the Strawhats a doctor. Why else would he have his own endless running mobile game and a Palico skin in Monster Hunter?
Funny, my mother imported phone cases of him and Doraemon back when we were flea market salesmen. Unsurprisingly, both cases weren't that popular among a Latin American audience in Swap-o-Rama.

Which is no big surprise since one man makes a killing selling Dragon Ball and Saint Seiya DVD's (With both obviously having a Spanish dub).

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well yeah, all of the ones that fan support brought consideration for other than Bayonetta are technically "purple". :p Bayonetta's the only true "red".

My example was for like the hypothetical of a character such as Shantae vs. a character such as Jill Valentine (examples I just thought of now without even realizing the fact Shantae wears red and Jill wears blue).

Resident Evil is a huge franchise and Jill is an icon (I think?) while Shantae isn't that much of an "icon" in comparison with a smaller series that isn't nearly as profitable.
Shantae would be more likely to be considered than Jill regardless because Shantae has noticeable Smash support while Jill has practically none (as far as we can tell, anyway).
It could also be possible that Jill is wearing purple in this case if she is among the top requested Resident Evil characters ala Cloud.

But yeah, gauging this kinda stuff is a really tricky thing to do because our means of doing so is very limited.

D

Deleted member

It could also be possible that Jill is wearing purple in this case if she is among the top requested Resident Evil characters ala Cloud.

But yeah, gauging this kinda stuff is a really tricky thing to do because our means of doing so is very limited.
That's a pretty big "if" that's dependent on if the series has a lot of requests in general like Final Fantasy did. :p

I mean, if three people request Jill and two people request Leon while another two request Chris, she'd be the most requested RE character, but it wouldn't mean much. :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

On the one hand, yeah, it's probably designed to sell merch. On the other hand, it works. BB-8 is dope.

D

Deleted member

They should make another Stadium/XD/Coliseum-like pokemon game on console. Just started to play these today, they're pretty fun. Haven't played Battle Revolution though, like anything gen 4, it lags heavily on my computer for whatever reason.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I have a controversial Smash opinion.

I think Shovel Knight is a lot more likely to get into the Smash 4 Switch port than K. Rool.
I also have a controversial Smash opinion.
I think as long as Sakurai is in charge we won't be seeing any western characters from 3rd party companies.

D

Deleted member

I think Sakurai's own bias towards the games he made is blown out of proportion. For example, he wanted to add a stage based on Kirby's Epic Yarn (a Kirby game that he had absolutely no involvement with) at one point, but later decided to go with a Yoshi's Woolly World stage instead, and Kid Icarus had so many enemies in Smash Run probably because most, if not all of them were reused assets from Uprising.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Jibanyan is likely and would actually be my choice for a second character after Inkling. Especially with Sakurai aiming to promote Japanese gaming in Smash. I feel Jibanyan has made just enough of a splash in the west to make Jibanyan's inclusion not seem Japanese catering only, while the massive Yokai craze in Japan justifies his inclusion alone.

I also think people need to start to seriously consider Daisy. Cloud broke the limits, so there's no need fo belittle what's frankly an all-star based on a fan-made divide in main games and spin-offs (which seems to be designed just to keep Daisy and Waluigi out of the roster)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
This bandwagon is kinda stupid.

I really want a full blown sequel on the Switch instead of a mere port.

D

Deleted member

You guys have learned nothing with Smash 4 and will fall to the same mistakes in the next speculation cycle
There are no chances, there are no quota to be met and there are no bias preventing characters from being added

The Wandering Son anime doesn't cover the whole manga but no one in the entire ****ing internet wants to answer which chapter is the last adapted one by it so I can start reading the manga from there

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
To be honest, I don't care if my opinions are controversial or not. I care not for what the majority thinks or whatever is the "right way" to think. This said, I do know that people might contest these:
- Corrin wasn't the bad addition people paint him to be. 6 Fire Emblem characters is justifiable by the series' ever shifting character cast, whereas series like Mario, Zelda and Metroid rarely stray from having the same cast of main characters. This said, I don't think every Smash will add the latest FE character of their time: only if they're unique and stand out from the returning ones (aside from potential clone situations as seen with Roy and Lucina).
- K. Rool isn't the big all-star character people make him seem either. Dixie Kong is far more recognizable, as far as Donkey Kong characters are concerned. (I do agree that, ideally, both characters should be in.)
- Clones aren't bad and are a good way of adding characters that otherwise wouldn't be considered due to Sakurai's emphasis on uniqueness and having characters stand out from each other. Certain characters do lend themselves better as clones than having full-fledged movesets.
- Ganondorf doesn't need a new moveset altogether. Though I'm not opposed to giving him some new attacks, animations and other reworked features, so long as the gameplay doesn't deviate too far from what it is now.
- I don't think there will be a new Smash Bros. game on the Switch, only the port of the Wii U game with additional content (either completely new or coming from previous games, 3DS version included).
- I personally wouldn't mind non-video game characters, but I do agree they likely won't happen.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
This bandwagon is kinda stupid.

I really want a full blown sequel on the Switch instead of a mere port.
That really doesn't sound like a controversial opinion. I think everyone here would want the same thing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"Well, let's see if I can find it by looking at some chapters"
*opens some random one*
*is literally the last episode from the anime*
Holy **** that was fast, Lady Luck was by my side this time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom