• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Planning teams for people here that I have in my Pokemon game is a challenge.

Except for @Collective of Bears since I just give him the 6 bears. Ursaring, Beartic, Pangoro, Bewear and the 2 new ones I added: Berout(based off a sloth bear and is Grass/Fighting type) and the renamed Berectric(based off a black bear and is Dark/Electric).

I almost have @Kabuto Gwen team decided.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
It highly annoyed me when people told others they were wasting their vote.

Makes it all the more satisfying that an "unlikely character" won, even if she wasn't my personal choice.
No vote is a waste if it's a character you like.

I remember my brother sending a vote for Waluigi with a message along the lines of "Wahhh! He deserve some love":p

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think we can expect this next speculation cycle to be better.

The last speculation cycle ended just a year ago, and most of the people who took part in Smash 4 speculation are still around, unlike the 6 year gap between Brawl and Smash 4. I believe people have at least learnt somewhat about the pitfalls to avoid.

Some toxicity is inevitable, but given the much larger number of people who have had experience with speculation this time, this cycle should be more pleasant.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
In a way I kind of agree.

Like, especially during ballot time, people got so toxic and holier-than-thou to anyone who didn't support a certain character/supported a perceived "unlikely" character. Sucked the fun out of everything, and even made some folks leave the site. Hive mind mentality didn't help either.

Like damn, heaven forbid someone think a character had a chance that went against the grain. They'd get talked down to, told that who they wanted was somehow an affront to common sense, and in general degraded. Hell, it even happened in this thread.

It's just a game, people. Let them speculate without you being so quick to shut them down. It's supposed to be fun.

/rant I guess
Ballot time was horrid. Pretty much every instant from the time Gematsu became a thing and E3 2013 was over was just a single downhill freefall of "support the Unholy Trinity or you suck" with no freedom of selection in the places I was reading though, so from my perspective it started even earlier.

But at least "unlikely" is a step above "worse than Shrek."

I spent the Smash 4 speculative era reading places this crowd would turn their noses up at, witnessing all the nasty dialog that would imply.

Since I felt like I would be wrong for supporting who I actually liked due to that, naturally something broke in my mind and I started taking note of every single degrading criteria used against every character and visualizing the entire fandom as a single amalgam of hypocritical double standards.

At current count, the only unincluded character that "deserves" to be in Smash taking note of every single thing brought up by every single person would be Inkling. Naturally that's hilariously overly limiting, but old coping mechanisms die hard.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It highly annoyed me when people told others they were wasting their vote.

Makes it all the more satisfying that an "unlikely character" won, even if she wasn't my personal choice.
Seriously. The only votes I'd consider wastes are the votes for characters already on the roster. :p

That and it was so annoying having to put a "I know it probably won't happen but" disclaimer on everything because you just knew someone would really want to inform you that they wouldn't happen.

D

Deleted member

Seriously. The only votes I'd consider wastes are the votes for characters already on the roster. :p
Don't forget non-video game characters such as Shrek and Goku, which were ineligible to begin with. :p

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Just this sentence alone is way more optimistic than i am about the next speculation cycle haha
:061:
Yeaaah, the less "slots" there were the worse it got.

We're possibly only working with TWO openings, so the possibility of everyone getting rabid is particularly bad.

Look at how nearly every suggestion is the exact same already. Sooner or later someone's going to roll up in order to "enforce" it. You already get "corrected" for saying it's possible we MIGHT not see a Gen 7 Pokemon as one of the characters we're getting.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I still remember people arguing about Ryu's importance when he got leaked along with Roy.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

That and it was so annoying having to put a "I know it probably won't happen but" disclaimer on everything because you just knew someone would really want to inform you that they wouldn't happen.
Like Professor Layton

No Im not sad, what are you talking about:emptysheep:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Just this sentence alone is way more optimistic than i am about the next speculation cycle haha
:061:
What can I say, I am an optimist by nature. :p

Seriously, given just how much time we've spent in this thread reflecting on the negatives of Smash 4 speculation, I'll be surprised if it Smash Switch sepculation goes just as bad. Of course, I'm assuming that most of us will stay and try to be a voice of reason. Please do.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

Seriously, given just how much time we've spent in this thread reflecting on the negatives of Smash 4 speculation, I'll be surprised if it Smash Switch sepculation goes just as bad. Of course, I'm assuming that most of us will stay and try to be a voice of reason. Please do.
And I'll be the voice of chaos.

D

Deleted member

I still remember people arguing about Ryu's importance when he got leaked along with Roy.
I still remember when some went as far as to deny the leak aka sound files that were found in the game's data by multiple people.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

Considering the way this thread has reacted in the past, I'm almost more expecting a new clique of people to pop up that goes into every speculation discussion and tries to tell people that they aren't allowed to speculate at all and that they should just wait for things to be revealed instead.

There's no "voice of reason" in my experience, as much as I'd desperately love to see them pop up, just people who overblow Smash speculation into a huge argument where everyone who isn't them is wrong and people who try to bury Smash speculation and ensure it no longer exists.

Kind of like certain political issues, come to think of it.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Don't forget non-video game characters such as Shrek and Goku, which were ineligible to begin with. :p
I'll be honest, I wouldn't even consider that a wasted vote, since it at least shows if there's some demand or not, no matter how much it'll actually sway things.

But people who literally just voted for Ike when he was already on the roster wasted their vote. I actually know someone who did this. Granted he knew he was wasting his vote, so take it for what you will.

Bananija

Count of Trickery

Don't want to break your fun, but we aren't the whole smash fanbase, and were mostly part of the "non-toxic" side.

That being said, I'm still optimistic it'll be better next time.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
I still remember when some went as far as to deny the leak aka sound files that were found in the game's data by multiple people.
TBH I was one of them, but I just got back into discussing Smash at the time and only really caught "Roy and Ryu were leaked" with no mention of a datamine, so I figured "Oh gee golly gee, a text leak people are believing, I sure love it when that happens." Needless to say I was just an oblivious idiot.

:094:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Hard to believe Smashboards have lived through character speculation of not just full games, but also DLC and, possibly soon, an updated port.

Chrono.

Found out something interesting.

As it turns out, you can EXP farm with Legendaries because you don't have to beat the E4 to get them to respawn like in past games.

Or at least Necrozma can be fainted and still be there like nothing (unless you catch it of course).

D

Deleted member

TBH I was one of them, but I just got back into discussing Smash at the time and only really caught "Roy and Ryu were leaked" with no mention of a datamine, so I figured "Oh gee golly gee, a text leak people are believing, I sure love it when that happens." Needless to say I was just an oblivious idiot.

:094:
I'll admit I didn't believe it at first myself since it was just pre-existing music tracks (the Fire Emblem victory fanfare, music left intact from the arcade version of SFII), but over time I figured it was probably real.

Fun Fact: Out of all the characters I rated in Rate Their Chances: DLC Edition, I rated Ryu the highest in chance at 95%, followed closely by Roy at 90% and my initial rating for Wolf at 85%. I rated Ryu higher than Roy due to the former being third party, and I couldn't imagine Sakurai scraping a third party character that he already went through the effort to obtain the rights to use.

Last edited by a moderator:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
With the rumor of new characters,how long before the fan favorite thread "Rate Their Chances" returns?You know that thread that nobody liked but always returned to see the war

D

Deleted member

With the rumor of new characters,how long before the fan favorite thread "Rate Their Chances" returns?You know that thread that nobody liked but always returned to see the war
It already returned in the character support social group.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Gah, I've gotten way too cynical when I've been thinking about speculation anymore. I need to lighten up.

I think the main thing I'm wondering for the future is how Inkling might be handled if they get added. Not the exact moveset, but just the gist of it.

I'd like to see Inkling using a wide variety of their weapons in their moveset. I feel like Pit got the short end of the stick being designed prior to getting his own game with a wide selection of weapons and Inkling is a good opportunity to start fresh in that regard.

I have no idea whether or how turf claiming could be worked into their moveset, but at the very least I'd like to see them use more than just 1-3 weapon types in their moveset. Give me as many of them as you can manage. The painting equipment, the normal weaponry, all of it. Give me a different weapon type for each of the majority of their moves and I'll be a pretty happy camper.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have no idea whether or how turf claiming could be worked into their moveset,
I imagine that wouldn't have been feasible with the technical limitations of the 3DS and maybe the Wii U version's 8-Player Smash.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Man, the wait fo dat Shantae: Half-Genie Hero download code email feels like it's taking forever. I might have to wait tomorrow.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I imagine that wouldn't have been feasible with the technical limitations of the 3DS and maybe the Wii U version's 8-Player Smash.
That's what makes me question it as well. It would have to depend on how much more powerful the Switch is than the Wii U, and even that might not be enough.

I can see them turning into a squid for their dash attack, though.

Another big question would be what their Final Smash would be. I doubt it'd be just a vanilla bomb rush, so which one of the other supers? There's several decent candidates.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I can't remember who I voted for.

I think it was Dixie Kong but it may have been Krystal or Shantae.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I can't remember who I voted for.

I think it was Dixie Kong but it may have been Krystal or Shantae.
I think I got stuck trying to think of something that could actually win and considered Ridley for a moment before realizing that would probably be a waste, then voted Isaac.

Had I known how the Ballot was going to end, I probably would have just dropped trying to conform and voted for Tails.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
If an updated port with extra characters is legit then they can make up for their blunder of not having Isaac and Bomberman in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom