• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Wait, why is Aegislash on that list? Isn't it on Ubers?
I think it was listing the time Aegislash had before its ban, I dunno.

Genesect is on that list too and like bloody hell its staying in OU.

EDIT: No. No Harambe. Don't. Please don't.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm still curious as to who managed to have more votes than Bayonetta, but wasn't "negotiable" or "realizable". Not that I expect Sakurai or Nintendo to reveal those characters.

IIRC Harambe didn't become a meme until after the ballot closed.

EDIT: Never mind. You were joking.
I have a feeling Snake was probably one of them.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Oh, hey, there's a new round of stupid Smash Bros rumors going around, complete with a new group of "TOTALLY LEGIT INSIDERS WHO ARE RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING!!1111". Better check SmashBoards and see what's up there.
I know it sounds like the worst part of the rumor...and I fully expect people to have reservations because of it (heck I wrote out the rumor in such a way that shows why it could and couldn't happen so people remember it's a rumor). With EuroGamer also posting about Melee VC, it seems very likely to happen as they've used their own sources to verify.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
They should just release 3 already.
Well it is being developed. Any moment now they'll announce it's release date and it'll be glorious.

Nice, an English version, thanks! And I think it's still the same voice actor.
Maybe it's just because I haven't played Kingdom Hearts in years, but he sounds different, which is probably cause he's older. At least it's not as drastic as KH1 to KH2

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Goody! Goody!

WayForward is slowly cranking out backer code emails for Shantae: Half-Genie Hero! Hope I don't have to wait too long. :3

D

Deleted member

WHY WOULD ANYONE INVEST IN HP????
Screenshot_2016-12-08-21-31-10.png

Mimikyu wants to be fast to outspeed Pokemon after they bust its Disguise
@Kabuto Gwen guess who. Guess ****ing who
I think it was listing the time Aegislash had before its ban, I dunno.

Genesect is on that list too and like bloody hell its staying in OU.

EDIT: No. No Harambe. Don't. Please don't.
I still don't get why Aegislash is still on Ubers
His "new toy" appeal has wore off a long time ago and it's easy as hell to predict King's Shield
And I wanna use him without having to deal with a full team of legendaries jfc

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Beleive me if Goku ever got in I'd be so ****ing hyped.
I don't really care anymore. The DLC was a rollercoaster that broke me. Ryu bothered me, then Cloud elated me, then Bayonetta middled me out. So now I'm just kind of numb. I'd be happy for the sake of some friends who would be happy. Same with Ryu I suppose.

And people want Goku because they think he'd be cool in Smash, not for the dur hur memes like Shrek and Spongebob, and for that reason I see the distinction and can appreciate the demand.

I have a feeling Snake was probably one of them.
Yeh, and, excluding non-video game characters, possibly Banjo as well.

I think he fits under the category of character theoretically possible but one Nintendo would have a "lol no" reaction to. :/

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I'm still curious as to who managed to have more votes than Bayonetta, but wasn't "negotiable" or "realizable". Not that I expect Sakurai or Nintendo to reveal who those characters were.

IIRC Harambe didn't become a meme until after the ballot closed.

EDIT: Never mind. You were joking.
There's no way for me to know for sure, but looking at the largest requests prior to the Ballot, some candidates might be:

Negotiable: Non video game characters (Shrek, Goku, Spongebob), characters owned by Microsoft or Sony (Banjo-Kazooie and Master Chief were probably the most heavily supported), third parties that just didn't want to play ball (who knows).

Realizable: Ridley and Ice Climbers would be by far the most heavily voted for characters that people were already told repeatedly wouldn't be added for technical reasons, and both I can easily see surging to the top of the Ballot

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I don't really care anymore. The DLC was a rollercoaster that broke me. Ryu bothered me, then Cloud elated me, then Bayonetta middled me out. So now I'm just kind of numb. I'd be happy for the sake of some friends who would be happy. Same with Ryu I suppose.

And people want Goku because they think he'd be cool in Smash, not for the dur hur memes like Shrek and Spongebob, and for that reason I see the distinction and can appreciate the demand.

Yeh, and, excluding non-video game characters, possibly Banjo as well.

I think he fits under the category of character theoretically possible but one Nintendo would have a "lol no" reaction to. :/
I'd be hype but I'd still end up dropping the game just as fast. lol

D

Deleted member

WHY WOULD ANYONE INVEST IN HP????
View attachment 121754
Mimikyu wants to be fast to outspeed Pokemon after they bust its Disguise
@Kabuto Gwen guess who. Guess ****ing who
You know, normally this would be the highlight of stupidity of the day, but I should really stop reading through youtube comment sections, I every time I do it gets worse every time. This one this time around being filled with Natzi apologists. But nevermind that, it's complicated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I hope Smash Switch brings in some new fans and players.

The current Smash fandom has become too bitter with infighting and disappointment to the point of people outright being scared of talking about the series. We need some fresh blood with a happier outlook and no expectations to brighten things up.

As for me, I guess I'm "lucky" the fandom crushed any hope of seeing the character I would naturally gravitate towards wanting via sheer hatred towards them, as there wasn't really much room for Smash itself to disappoint me outside of watching other people get upset after that.

I would hope some new people would join on here, too, as having some people newer than me around might be fun. But then, most people use social media instead lately so I'm not sure if that would happen much. . .

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Can't wait till the weekend to just relax... then come back to work an hour earlier.
Yaay.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I wouldn't be surprised. It might take a lot for Ridley support to die out, regardless of how Sakurai feels about him.
Judging by a short video and a couple of images I saw at the start of the Ballot, I get the impression some of his supporters thought they could brute force their way into getting him despite being told no via the power of the Ballot.

Some others seemed to have been voting for him in order to send a message for the future.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
This gif is just so, so good. It fits the RealShigeruM account like a glove.

(I know the account was suspended, but still, this is too well made.)
The thing that annoys me about the parody accounts is they don't even attempt to parody the person. it's just stolen memes. change the name and the content could still be the same.

Chrono.

The thing that annoys me about the parody accounts is they don't even attempt to parody the person. it's just stolen memes. change the name and the content could still be the same.
The weird ones are the ones who start out as legit parody account but eventually devolve into reposting popular posts...

Makes me wonder if they're just selling their accounts lol

I wouldn't be surprised. It might take a lot for Ridley support to ever die out, regardless of how Sakurai feels about him.
Depending on where you look it has already significantly died down.

Ridley fanbase dropped from top 3 to top like. . .20 at best with an even bigger hatebase real fast after the Wii U 50 fact extravaganza.

still sad about it
:061:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Mimikyu @ Leftovers
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Df / 252 SpD
Nature Careful
- Bulk Up
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Leech Life

To whoever said Max HP on Mimikyu is bad- consider a free Bulk Up with two sources of healing and a 105 SpD base with building Def. Its not optimal, but it can work.

That being said, I personally prefer SD because a free SD with the ability to possibly get two with Ghost/Fairy STAB is nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Moon update:

Primarina: Level 40
Gengar: Level 40
Tsareena: Level 40
Charjabug: Level 38
Gigalith: Level 38
Umbreon: Level 38

Got through Po Town, beat Nanu, and now I'm in the middle of the Aether Paradise. The Po Town bit was typical "invade the evil team's hideout" yet I feel like this one managed to make itself far more interesting than most other bits like that. The music and overall atmosphere really made it stand out... at the same time though I feel like this does clash a bit with Team Skull's personality and the invasion itself felt pretty short lived. That said I still really do like the atmosphere and there's a few great jokes there.
Nanu... mostly easy. Sableye went down in two hits, Krokorok didn't last any longer, but Persian was annoying, though only due to the fact that I wanted Primarina to take a break so that the others could get some EXP.
Now, the Aether Foundation... crikey, they really like to look creepy, or at least the males do. Those smiles man. I didn't get far into this messed up place, but the battle with Faba... only a Hypno, dude? There's more Psychic types out in this region... although I approve of using a very underrated Pokémon.

:097:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I've actually seen that fake Miyamoto account apologize for posting an artist I follow's artwork without their permission.

Granted, it doesn't mean anything since he still continued to steal memes, but it's something I guess.

If you want a parody account done right, look no further than CEO Kaz Hirai

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I know it sounds like the worst part of the rumor...and I fully expect people to have reservations because of it (heck I wrote out the rumor in such a way that shows why it could and couldn't happen so people remember it's a rumor). With EuroGamer also posting about Melee VC, it seems very likely to happen as they've used their own sources to verify.
I've heard this same sort of thing time and time again. Rogersbase? The Shovel Knight guy with the "100% perfect track record"? Neo's Nintendo of Japan employee who said Ridley was playable?

The amount of dead ends from "trustworthy sources" far, far outnumber the amount of actual info we've gotten from sources like this (which, to my knowledge, is absolutely nothing).

It's fine to give these people benefit of the doubt (and it's sorta your obligation as a game journalist), but I see absolutely no reason to take this with anything more than a grain of salt. It's just impossible for me to trust these supposed "insiders" by this point.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Depending on where you look it has already significantly died down.

Ridley fanbase dropped from top 3 to top like. . .20 at best with an even bigger hatebase real fast after the Wii U 50 fact extravaganza.

still sad about it
:061:
Ridley was weird in that the most intolerable people in the fandom either supported him or flamed the heck out of him, which left the decent human beings who supported him and the people who didn't care either way stuck in the crossfire. Once one side got the rug pulled out from under them, the other side completely took over and got even more horrid and obnoxious.

The sheer crud Ridley had to put up with means he manages to dodge being the mascot for the worst of what the fandom has to offer in my mind, instead making him yet another victim once the dust settled and a particularly unfortunate one at that.

A certain other reptilian villain who had all of the hateful supporters and none of the hate directed towards him, on the other hand. . .

Last edited:

Bananija

Count of Trickery
A certain other reptilian villain who had all of the hateful supporters and none of the hate directed towards him and still manages to be among the most supported to this day, on the other hand. . .
All of them? Sure, there is some supporters that were pretty hateful toward Shovel Knight or Shantea for no reason but, from what I saw, a lot of K.Rool fan are really nice people. They're was an hateful part: I won't deny it, every fanbase as one. But all of the hateful supporters is an over-statement.

And K.Rool also got is fair share of hate during the ballot.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Ridley was weird in that the most intolerable people in the fandom either supported him or flamed the heck out of him, which left the decent human beings who supported him and the people who didn't care either way stuck in the crossfire. Once one side got the rug pulled out from under them, the other side completely took over and got even more horrid and obnoxious.

The sheer crud Ridley had to put up with means he manages to dodge being the mascot for the worst of what the fandom has to offer in my mind, instead making him yet another victim once the dust settled and a particularly unfortunate one at that.

A certain other reptilian villain who had all of the hateful supporters and none of the hate directed towards him and still manages to be among the most supported to this day, on the other hand. . .
I've been on both sides of the fence when it comes to Ridley in Smash. I was a supporter until the first Smash Bros Direct where his shadow appeared during the Boss Battle demonstration, then switched to the opposite side.

You seem to have the same misconception I see from a lot of people; that those in opposition were "haters". The truth is, most of us didn't hate him. I, myself, am a fan of the character and wanted him to be playable. The issue was more the way the supporters dealt with the mounting evidence of his NPC status.

No other character who was disconfirmed during development had people constructing insane conspiracy theories to keep their train rolling. Just about any other character would've been considered finished then and there if they were in Ridley's spot in that first Smash Direct.

People's inability to accept Ridley's disconfirmation wasn't just an endless source of irritation to some of us, but it actively got in the way of research back when the ESRB leak was being investigated (with people insisting there had to be characters left due to the absence of Ridley). It was a headache, and the amount of venom these people were on the receiving end of was usually justified.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No other character who was disconfirmed during development had people constructing insane conspiracy theories to keep their train rolling. Just about any other character would've been considered finished then and there if they were in Ridley's spot in that first Smash Direct.
This is a problem I often have with many conspiracy theorists in general. They don't look at the facts and then come to a conclusion, but rather they come up with a conclusion first and desperately look for something to fit that narrative.

That's pretty much what happened, really. We desperately wanted it to be true, so we came up with some straw theories on why he could possibly be playable, even though the truth was right in front of us, really. And it was obvious.

(And I say "we" because I was one of those people that gave into those theories during that time, I won't lie.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bananija

Count of Trickery
I've been on both sides of the fence when it comes to Ridley in Smash. I was a supporter until the first Smash Bros Direct where his shadow appeared during the Boss Battle demonstration, then switched to the opposite side.

You seem to have the same misconception I see from a lot of people; that those in opposition were "haters". The truth is, most of us didn't hate him. I, myself, am a fan of the character and wanted him to be playable. The issue was more the way the supporters dealt with the mounting evidence of his NPC status.

People's inability to accept Ridley's disconfirmation wasn't just an endless source of irritation to some of us, but it actively got in the way of research back when the ESRB leak was being investigated (with people insisting there had to be characters left due to the absence of Ridley). It was a headache, and the amount of venom these people were on the receiving end of was usually justified.
Even when there was a logical way to prove Ridley wasn't playable, there was still a lot of people whose main argument was "Ridley is too big": those were considerate the haters. People that used rational thinking like you were only detractors who weren't hated.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
All of them? Sure, there is some supporters that were pretty hateful toward Shovel Knight or Shantea for no reason but, from what I saw, a lot of K.Rool fan are really nice people. They're was an hateful part: I won't deny it, every fanbase as one. But all of the hateful supporters is an over-statement.

And K.Rool also got is fair share of hate during the ballot.
Not all of them, no. And not all of the obnoxious people supported him, either. It's just that the people that go on the attack seem to have a pattern of gravitating towards him.

Perhaps it has to do with nostalgia combined with certain peoples' attitudes. Nostalgia makes a lot of people obnoxious, most gamers with particularly deep nostalgia that use the internet heavily are 90's kids, Donkey Kong Country was one of the most popular games in that era. Not every K. Rool supporter is a bitter 90's kid in the slightest, but bitter 90's kids tend to like K. Rool.

As a matter of fact, I'd expect people who encountered Donkey Kong Country and Metroid more recently to be more mellow than the ones that played them from the start in general, due to the less passionate people from earlier in time leaving the fandoms while the more passionate ones have a greater chance of having some individuals be overly worked up about something.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Even when there was a logical way to prove Ridley wasn't playable, there was still a lot of people whose main argument was "Ridley is too big": those were considerate the haters. People that used rational thinking like you were only detractors who weren't hated.
Problem is that people put the obvious trolls ("TOO BIG, LOLZ") on the same boat as those of us who saw the writing on the wall. There wasn't really any difference back when this was all going on.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Idk what it is but the work detractors irks me

Thats one thing I dont like being called

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I hope Smash Switch brings in some new fans and players.

The current Smash fandom has become too bitter with infighting and disappointment to the point of people outright being scared of talking about the series. We need some fresh blood with a happier outlook and no expectations to brighten things up.

As for me, I guess I'm "lucky" the fandom crushed any hope of seeing the character I would naturally gravitate towards wanting via sheer hatred towards them, as there wasn't really much room for Smash itself to disappoint me outside of watching other people get upset after that.

I would hope some new people would join on here, too, as having some people newer than me around might be fun. But then, most people use social media instead lately so I'm not sure if that would happen much. . .
In a way I kind of agree.

Like, especially during ballot time, people got so toxic and holier-than-thou to anyone who didn't support a certain character/supported a perceived "unlikely" character. Sucked the fun out of everything, and even made some folks leave the site. Hive mind mentality didn't help either.

Like damn, heaven forbid someone think a character had a chance that went against the grain. They'd get talked down to, told that who they wanted was somehow an affront to common sense, and in general degraded. Hell, it even happened in this thread.

It's just a game, people. Let them speculate without you being so quick to shut them down. It's supposed to be fun.

/rant I guess

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
In a way I kind of agree.

Like, especially during ballot time, people got so toxic and holier-than-thou to anyone who didn't support a certain character/supported a perceived "unlikely" character. Sucked the fun out of everything, and even made some folks leave the site. Hive mind mentality didn't help either.

Like damn, heaven forbid someone think a character had a chance that went against the grain. They'd get talked down to, told that who they wanted was somehow an affront to common sense, and in general degraded. Hell, it even happened in this thread.

It's just a game, people. Let them speculate without you being so quick to shut them down. It's supposed to be fun.

/rant I guess
It highly annoyed me when people told others they were wasting their vote.

Makes it all the more satisfying that an "unlikely character" won, even if she wasn't my personal choice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom