• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

If strawpoll allowed my to vote both I would so I just put wii u because I have a feeling thats coming out first
To be fair, despite starting as a GameCube exclusive, Twilight Princess actually came out on the Wii less than a month prior.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
To be fair, despite starting as a GameCube exclusive, Twilight Princess actually came out on the Wii less than a month prior.
At that time, I didnt even know it came out for gamecube, I thought it was just for wii. I only found out it was on gamecube a while after the game came out on the wii

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Depends, whats the avatar gonna be??
Dunno. Haven't thought about it. Nothing against the site rules. That's kind of the point of the bet, it could be anything. Goes both ways though.

And no, no dates have been announced yet.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I swear I hope Nintendo freaking turns the world on it's head with the Nintendo Switch, and I hope I'm there from Day 1 to watch it.

I never cared about the Wii as a kid, the motion controls never really caught me. But this. . .this is something freaking awesome. it's been so long since I've felt a spark inside of me like this with a game system. Not since I first grasped that DS that started my being a Nintendo fan in the first place have I just been anywhere near as outright. . .enthralled.

I dream of a world where every kid can wake up on Christmas morning and open a box with this. Where Nintendo has a unified output which we haven't seen since the NES era with an even greater quality behind them than back then.

Just give me the things Nintendo gradually gave the 3DS UI over time right from launch, an Uprising sequel, and don't make me pay for online and this thing would basically be a miracle system. And then if Pokemon Sun and Moon and the things found in the datamine for it are an indication of the plots, responses to complaints, and willingness to bring certain things back in the future combined with how much of a graphics bump that series will get by being on the Switch. . .ooooooohohohohohohoho.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I swear I hope Nintendo freaking turns the world on it's head with the Nintendo Switch, and I hope I'm there from Day 1 to watch it.

I never cared about the Wii as a kid, the motion controls never really caught me. But this. . .this is something freaking awesome. it's been so long since I've felt a spark inside of me like this with a game system. Not since I first grasped that DS that started my being a Nintendo fan in the first place have I just been anywhere near as outright. . .enthralled.

I dream of a world where every kid can wake up on Christmas morning and open a box with this. Where Nintendo has a unified output which we haven't seen since the NES era with an even greater quality behind them than back then.

Just give me the things Nintendo gradually gave the 3DS UI over time right from launch, an Uprising sequel, and don't make me pay for online and this thing would basically be a miracle system. And then if Pokemon Sun and Moon and the things found in the datamine for it are an indication of the plots, responses to complaints, and willingness to bring certain things back in the future combined with how much of a graphics bump that series will get by being on the Switch. . .ooooooohohohohohohoho.
I feel you. This is the first time the "gimmick" actually entices me as opposed to provides something I just sort of have to tolerate.

And the consolidated library is just a helluva bonus. :D

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Is it a gimmick if it's something that can still be useful once it's novelty wears off?

Wii's motion controls got lame after you realized Wii Sports was the only fun game utilizing it. Wii U tablet, while a step in the right direction was just too limited. But Switch, even after you get used to the idea of portable home console experience, it's still really useful. You mean I could play Skyrim on my hypothetical bus ride home? Sign me up.

All I ask for is proper third party support. Nintendo games are fun and all, but when you're not a major Ninty fan, it's sorta limiting.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Is it a gimmick if it's something that can still be useful once it's novelty wears off?

Wii's motion controls got lame after you realized Wii Sports was the only fun game utilizing it. Wii U tablet, while a step in the right direction was just too limited. But Switch, even after you get used to the idea of portable home console experience, it's still really useful. You mean I could play Skyrim on my hypothetical bus ride home? Sign me up.

All I ask for is proper third party support. Nintendo games are fun and all, but when you're not a major Ninty fan, it's sorta limiting.
This is why I feel lucky for being low maintenance on that front.

Two of the main things I'd want are the latest 3D Sonic and a version of Terraria that's kept up to date and both of those were put on a silver platter for me before we even knew what the Switch's name was.

Other than that most of what I'd want would basically boil down to SEGA dumping a ton of stuff onto Virtual Console like they did with the Wii and then piling a bunch of their old ports onto the Gamecube Virtual Console for good measure.

Between that and the fact that most of Nintendo's big hits are practically locks, I can feel safe having my biggest problem be that I'm worried no one wants to make a sequel for one of my more obscure favorite Nintendo first party games.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I liked the Wii's and the DS's features for the most part. They were used awfully sometimes, but I feel that when they worked, they worked well.

I just think that the 3DS's 3D was useless and the Wii U tablet was never used correctly.

Regardless I'm glad the Switch's main feature is something everyone can appreciate.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
At best, I might miss the DS double/touch screen features. Can't say the same for motion controls. 3-D had some uses but not many, I got the 3DS for the games rather than the gimmicks attached to it.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
On an unrelated note, I just found a piece of construction material near the Battle Royale. There's no plot there, but the hedge extends well beyond where the foliage currently blocks area on the map to the point that if it were removed there would be enough room for one.

That's five I've noticed now. Four plots in various cities and now this. And a spot in another city that is being prepared for construction, but that one has no construction material and has a situation displayed that seems similar to something I heard happened in Kanto with the plot never being developed so I give that one a coin flip.

Still, if I didn't know any better I'd almost wonder if Game Freak was planning on installing a new kind of utility facility akin to the Pokemon Centers/Salons/Clothing/Malasada stores that would warrant being placed in most major cities. Who knows WHAT exactly, but there's so many places with conspicuous gaps in the middle of populated areas that it feels odd.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Also, tonight birthed a new, soon to be overused to hell and back, gif:

Can't wait to get ****ing sick of it! :D

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
This is why I feel lucky for being low maintenance on that front.

Two of the main things I'd want are the latest 3D Sonic and a version of Terraria that's kept up to date and both of those were put on a silver platter for me before we even knew what the Switch's name was.

Other than that most of what I'd want would basically boil down to SEGA dumping a ton of stuff onto Virtual Console like they did with the Wii and then piling a bunch of their old ports onto the Gamecube Virtual Console for good measure.

Between that and the fact that most of Nintendo's big hits are practically locks, I can feel safe having my biggest problem be that I'm worried no one wants to make a sequel for one of my more obscure favorite Nintendo first party games.
Eh, I don't think it's a matter of my gaming interests being "high maintenance" more so that it's just different. Really, so long as I think the game is fun, it's all good for me. It's actually not all that necessary for me that the Switch has third party support, I still have my PS4, XBone, and PC if I really want a different game. I just like to see third party support because it's something nice to have.

---

The other day I was talking to someone about how our tastes in video games developed differently. Limited to only playing old games on old consoles growing up, they grew a strong aversion to what video games have become and are moving to. Whereas for me, growing up with a PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube (and then PS3, 360, and Wii), I have very little qualms with it. I think it started over Open World games. They took major issue with how a ton of AAA releases were pushing open worlds and they felt it was highly unnecessary and actually detrimental to the experience, but I felt it wasn't a big issue at all, and in some cases felt it was a step in the right direction.

It got me wondering if the reason I don't see the issues with the gaming industry that others see is because I was never limited to what type of game I could play. Even if one type of game wasn't being produced anymore, I still had tons of others to check out. There's people out there who look at Nintendo as the last pure gaming company, and yet to me they're just another batch of cool games among an even larger sea of games. Or declaring their favorite franchise dead because it incorporated jetpacks and wall-running or real-time combat, and to me they're not dead, just doing something different.

This could all just simply be chalked up to me being open-minded or just seeing things differently, but y'know I think it's interesting to think about how it happened.

Anywho, was wondering if anyone who had a similar experience growing up had similar views.

Thinking about it, I'm wondering if that's why I don't look at good ol' Ninty as fondly as others. When you go Ninty, you're mainly just getting Nintendo and that's just really limiting.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Reminds me of a Hideki Kamiya GIF from a few years back.

Though I prefer how expressive Miyamoto's face is.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I went back to Gen VI to pick Meloetta and Arceus.

My goodness, the characters' heads are so big.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I went back to Gen VI to pick Meloetta and Arceus.

My goodness, the characters' heads are so big.
Is there a code for Meloetta? Or is it Gamestop only? It's the only Pokemon I'm missing for Gen 5.

If I'm lucky, maybe I can go sometime this month.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Is there a code for Meloetta? Or is it Gamestop only? It's the only Pokemon I'm missing for Gen 5.

If I'm lucky, maybe I can go sometime this month.
nah arceus is the code one just activate mystery gift off of any gen 5 game and pick you up a meloetta

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Well, something incredible just happened - seeing the Nintendo Switch appear on the Jimmy Fallon Show. Looking good as ever, and Iook forward to seeing what else comes to the Switch.

Chrono.

10 years in the making.

Anyway, saw the Switch footage. It looks pretty dope surprisingly enough.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805

But more importantly.
Where did he get that shirt? I want it.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
10 years in the making.

Sword flavored coffee is bound to wake you up.

nah arceus is the code one just activate mystery gift off of any gen 5 game and pick you up a meloetta
Thanks dude. Gen 5 complete.

D

Deleted member

10 years in the making.

Sometimes I wonder how the final product would have turned out if FFXV had taken five years or less to make.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
http://www.strawpoll.me/11825922

Here's a completely unrelated poll but its one I have been wanting to do for a while.

How do you feel about the Sonic Adventure games?
If you want my personal opinion on it, which is very unpopular, Sonic Adventures 1 is a bad game. It has very few redeeming qualities about it, 1 being the multiple playable characters, and 2 it's not unplayable bad.

Not only has the game not aged well, in the slightest, the level design and overworld design, for that matter, are downright awful. The levels have no real fluidity to them and the ones that do stick you on a straight path to do nothing but react to stuff. Sadly, those latter levels are the better levels. I can't even count how many times I've fallen through platforms during the platforming stages. The other characters levels are nothing special enough to write home about and we don't even talk about Big.

Sonic Adventure 2 on the other hand is a very good game. Luckily they decided to stick the platforming stages on characters like Eggman and Tails almost exclusively in this game. The game is much faster paced, much more polished, much less buggy, and a downright joy to play. The game corrects the mistakes of the previous entry and adds enough to keep the game fresh. The characters individual stories play out better than the cluster**** that was SA1 and each one has their own individual feel with the exception of their intended antagonistic counterpart.

I could go on and on about how bad Sonic Adventure is. And I could go on and on about how good Sonic Adventure 2 is. So I'll just leave at that for now.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If you want my personal opinion on it, which is very unpopular, Sonic Adventures 1 is a bad game. It has very few redeeming qualities about it, 1 being the multiple playable characters, and 2 it's not unplayable bad.

Not only has the game not aged well, in the slightest, the level design and overworld design, for that matter, are downright awful. The levels have no real fluidity to them and the ones that do stick you on a straight path to do nothing but react to stuff. Sadly, those latter levels are the better levels. I can't even count how many times I've fallen through platforms during the platforming stages. The other characters levels are nothing special enough to write home about and we don't even talk about Big.

Sonic Adventure 2 on the other hand is a very good game. Luckily they decided to stick the platforming stages on characters like Eggman and Tails almost exclusively in this game. The game is much faster paced, much more polished, much less buggy, and a downright joy to play. The game corrects the mistakes of the previous entry and adds enough to keep the game fresh. The characters individual stories play out better than the cluster**** that was SA1 and each one has their own individual feel with the exception of their intended antagonistic counterpart.

I could go on and on about how bad Sonic Adventure is. And I could go on and on about how good Sonic Adventure 2 is. So I'll just leave at that for now.
Very interesting read.

Personally, I love both games but I can see where you're coming from.

It's for those reasons I like 2 better overall.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I like Adventure 2 overall better. I do like that the levels are spread out better for characters. There's 4 different playstyles to have(kart racing being the 4th), and they're rather polished. Tails' stages are a bit subpar compared to Eggman's, unfortunately, but not bad by any means. Worst part is the Get 100 Rings emblems...

My favorite are the hunting stages in general, but the radar got nerfed from Adventure 1. Otherwise, it was perfect. Not all the stages were, of course. Security Hall, Meteor Herd, and Mad Space needs some work. The first two are just a pain at points(lolrandommeteor taking away all your rings, and the time limit is very annoying) and the third one isn't nearly as bad, just really huge and can be hard to find stuff at a decent speed.

Shadow's levels felt a bit lacking at times compared to Sonic's, but that's mostly because the 3 clone characters(Shadow, Tails, Rouge) were made later in development, so most likely their stages weren't nearly as planned out. I do like White Forest and Radical Highway, but the other two were fairly cheap to go through with overuse of enemy placement/pitfalls. It's why the racing stages aren't really high on my list of preferences for the games.

That said, the Chao system was massively improved. No longer did you need special fruits to make them Dark or Hero Chao. You can pet them without it not registering(the hell? That should've been fixed in the original gamecube port...). You don't have a character who cannot swim, so it's far easier to rescue them from what looks like drowning. The various mini-games are easier to train them for due to the Chaos Drive system.

I still enjoy Adventure 1 overall(I do wish Big's fishing was more polished), but as noted, it's flawed. The courses aren't particularly great at times(Sonic's final stage can let you die if you jump just a little too high...), although I don't remember exactly why it does that.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

I'm not too familiar with those games, and I don't particularly feel that either is all that great from what I played, though I'm no expert.

But one thing the first did right were the emerald seeking for Knuckles' stages. Since you got to see which ones were close to you regardless of their order. So even if you went at your own pace, you could get a handle of certain situations faster.

Other than that I mostly agree with you. Especially when the game settles for 3 distinct playstyles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom