• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
If I had to guess a character, probably something from Ubisoft (especially if that Mario/Rabbid rumor is real).

That, and maybe a highly voted Smash Ballot character.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
New Nintendo Switch Characters?

Honestly? I only want Sora. That's a pipe dream and I know it sadly.

Realistically I'd like to see Snake, Ice Climbers, Inkling, maybe more but I can't think of them. Just those for now.

Be ready for more "leaks" though. That'll be fun.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm doing it at least partially in jest.

The other part of me remembers how much the fandom set themselves up for failure begging for Gen 5 Mythicals and thinks even if there's no actual scientific reason why an odd-genned Pokemon wouldn't get in that the universe itself might taunt them for their sheer arrogance.

Which is also to a degree in jest, but is also a "counting our chickens before they hatched has turned out pretty badly before, especially in this exact situation, so maybe we shouldn't count them before they hatch yet again" thing.

I don't even discount the possibility of something from Gen 7 getting in, just the air of inevitability to it.

That's gonna jinx up the whole joint if it keeps going, I can already see it.
Couldn't the same be said about folks like the Ice Climbers and Inklings? I don't see what the prediction of an Alola Pokémon has over those as far as perceived likeliness.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't know why you lot are jumping down @n8han11's throat. Are you guys Nintendo shareholders?

From the perspective of a consumer who doesn't fervently gobble up Smash with the same gusto as the very small fraction represented on here, it is kind of a ****ty move. They just got the game like two years ago. They just finished adding stuff to it earlier this year. And now you have to buy a new version, let alone a new console, to keep getting the content? I mean I don't think even Capcom pulls that kind of ****.

They're far from the only ones in the business who do it, but I wouldn't argue that justifies it. It just normalizes it. Ofc it makes business sense. Smash is a quality product that can appeal to a wider market should it have better hardware behind it, but it is unfortunate for the existing consumer.

I don't agree with him saying they're doing it for no good reason. It is a good reason, it's just not a reason that benefits us, so I don't understand why we're so quick to defend Nintendo.

Might as well put my smash wishlist again because it's relevant again
  • 1. Viridi
  • 2. Edea Lee
  • 3. Ridley
  • 4. Sora
  • 5. Wonder Red
  • 6. Incineroar
  • 7. Phoenix Wright
  • 8. Squall
  • 9. (Captain) Toad
  • 10. Dixie Kong
  • 11. Crash
  • 12. Inkling
mmmmm sweet sweet no-hopers.
:061:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
It's cute how you're saying it like it's a good thing, that it's a good thing that Nintendo's restricting those characters like it's something to applaud.
Cute? Heh... Not as cute as you, bud.

I mean- Look at you. Dwelling within your fairytale land- thinking there should fair and good in business of all things. That a white knight be sent from the magical kingdom to stop this act of unfairness. Who will save us from this darkness?!

Get over it. Nintendo is a business with the desire for the currancy in your possession- no matter how you or I feel about it, thats what they are. If you disagree with their methods, then feel free to complain about it, but it won't change the fact that they are a business, and that's how a business operates.

Welcome to the real world. :073:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Might as well put my smash wishlist again because it's relevant again
  • 1. Viridi
  • 2. Edea Lee
  • 3. Ridley
  • 4. Sora
  • 5. Wonder Red
  • 6. Incineroar
  • 7. Phoenix Wright
  • 8. Squall
  • 9. (Captain) Toad
  • 10. Dixie Kong
  • 11. Crash
  • 12. Inkling
mmmmm sweet sweet no-hopers.
No Ringabel? How dare you

Last edited:
Cute? Heh... Not as cute as you, bud.

I mean- Look at you. Dwelling within your fairytale land- thinking there should fair and good in business of all things. That a white knight be sent from the magical kingdom to stop this act of unfairness. Who will save us from this darkness?!

Welcome to the real world. :073:
Let's be honest is this really necessary?

I mean n8's post isn't exactly perfect but this is an exponential escalation.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Couldn't the same be said about folks like the Ice Climbers and Inklings? I don't see what the prediction of an Alola Pokémon has over those as far as perceived likeliness.
Mostly just my ingrained memories of "Zoroark's totally gonna be in, you guys!" "Meloetta's totally gonna be in, you guys!" "Genesect's totally gonna be in, you guys!" etc.

Ice Climbers and Splatoon as IPs don't really have any precedent for what has happened to them, meanwhile I've seen firsthand Pokemon fans setting themselves up for disappointment before.

Ice Climbers and Inklings also were around/known at the time of the Ballot and had Ballot voting waves, meanwhile Gen 7 was revealed well after it was closed and seems to be being requested entirely because it "makes sense," so that's another thing those two have over it, however small.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Mostly just my ingrained memories of "Zoroark's totally gonna be in, you guys!" "Meloetta's totally gonna be in, you guys!" "Genesect's totally gonna be in, you guys!" etc.

Ice Climbers and Splatoon as IPs don't really have any precedent for what has happened to them, meanwhile I've seen firsthand Pokemon fans setting themselves up for disappointment before.

Ice Climbers and Inklings also were around/known at the time of the Ballot and had Ballot voting waves, meanwhile Gen 7 was revealed well after it was closed and seems to be being requested entirely because it "makes sense," so that's another thing those two have over it, however small.
Meloetta and Genesect were by no means seen as guarantees by most. Hell, even Zoroark's perceived odds tanked after Lucario and Mewtwo's Megas were revealed, if not earlier (and even then many just thought it'd be Brawl+Mewtwo). No one saw those as guarantees, so I don't see the comparison.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Let's be honest is this really necessary?
*shrugs* Sorry. But I don't take kindly to words being put in my mouth, in conjoining with sarcasm. But that being said, I meant every word.

Nintendo is a business. What did you expect? I'm not a shareholder, but I'm also not an imaginator. This is what they do. This is what Sony does. This is what businesses do. Plain and simple. Constantly whining about it won't change anything.

Again, I do apologize, and I won't dwell any deeper into this, but that's my opinion on the matter.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Actually I just thought of one character we could be blindsided to, but makes a lot of sense.

They were more then likely planned based on Gematsu. The fact that they didn't make it, leads me to thinks it's because they were meant to work as a trio, and thus like the ICs didn't work well. Rather then cut it down to one chorus man, they were cut.

If this is the case, like ICs they probably have data leftover that can be used for switch version making it easier to implement. Therefore I think they are pretty likely, or at least a rep from the series. It's an easy first party newcomer and a unique one. With the last installment being popular, it may not be a bad idea to add them.

Chrono.

I caught the Tapus! That was surprisingly quick, but Tapu Bulu and Fini gave me a run for my money.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Actually I just thought of one character we could be blindsided to, but makes a lot of sense.

They were more then likely planned based on Gematsu. The fact that they didn't make it, leads me to thinks it's because they were meant to work as a trio, and thus like the ICs didn't work well. Rather then cut it down to one chorus man, they were cut.

If this is the case, like ICs they probably have data leftover that can be used for switch version making it easier to implement. Therefore I think they are pretty likely, or at least a rep from the series. It's an easy first party newcomer and a unique one. With the last installment being popular, it may not be a bad idea to add them.
Not for a Smash 4 port, I'd say.

A completely new franchise works better for a new Smash sequel.

D

Deleted member

Gonna ignore everything else buuuut

Criticizing companies is EXACTLY how you get them to stop ****ing over the consumer or having practices that just don't work.

There's also voting with your wallet.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Criticizing companies is EXACTLY how you get them to stop ****ing over the consumer or having practices that just don't work.

Adding additional content for a port of a future console does work. That's the difference. People are already on board for Switch Splatoon and Switch Smash because of the promise, or in Smash's case, the high possibility, of additional content.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Gonna ignore everything else buuuut

Sometimes. But usually they're not going to stop making decisions that benefit their bottom dollar like this just because a very small contingent of the fanbase is upset with it. Some minor bellyaching isn't going to drown out all the profits from decisions like this.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Meloetta and Genesect were by no means seen as guarantees by most. Hell, even Zoroark's perceived odds tanked after Lucario and Mewtwo's Megas were revealed, if not earlier (and even then many just thought it'd be Brawl+Mewtwo). No one saw those as guarantees, so I don't see the comparison.
It's more of a gut feeling than any real fact, hence why I'm on the fence rather than counting it out.

Although. . .

I think this sort of thing spawns from the idea that whatever the latest generation is -must- get a representative and then goes from there. None of the Gen 7 Pokemon are seen as guarantees either, despite Decidueye being pretty close, hence it being used as "Gen 7" and other Pokemon names being tossed around. My memory is fuzzy and leaves stronger memories of the Pokemon themselves than the spawning logic, but it's entirely possible that all started from people insisting there would be a "Gen 5 rep" at the time as well.

The circumstances are different now from then, but the more I see people agreeing that a Gen 7 Pokemon is a sure thing the more my gut instinct tells me something is wrong.

Then there's the concept of shoo-in in general, which while I'm willing to make an exception for Inkling just due to the sheer magnitude of how heavily Splatoon has taken off has a notorious tendency towards backfiring.

. . .And for all we know Ice Climbers may actually not get in, due to not working with 8 Player Smash or for whatever other reason. Who the heck knows. A lot of people insisted Wolf was getting in during the last stretch of the Ballot and that didn't happen. Ice Climbers could hypothetically jinx as well, as much as they seem like they'd be nice on the roster and I'd love to see Summit in Smash 4.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I don't know why you lot are jumping down @n8han11's throat. Are you guys Nintendo shareholders?

From the perspective of a consumer who doesn't fervently gobble up Smash with the same gusto as the very small fraction represented on here, it is kind of a ****ty move. They just got the game like two years ago. They just finished adding stuff to it earlier this year. And now you have to buy a new version, let alone a new console, to keep getting the content? I mean I don't think even Capcom pulls that kind of ****.

They're far from the only ones in the business who do it, but I wouldn't argue that justifies it. It just normalizes it. Ofc it makes business sense. Smash is a quality product that can appeal to a wider market should it have better hardware behind it, but it is unfortunate for the existing consumer.

I don't agree with him saying they're doing it for no good reason. It is a good reason, it's just not a reason that benefits us, so I don't understand why we're so quick to defend Nintendo.
I don't really see much issue with the practice though. It's a game being re-released a couple years after it's launch on new hardware, of course they're going to do something they make it more attractive. In the case of Smash, they'll be adding more characters. Other games just up the resolution and clean up the textures, or in other cases completely remodel things, and it's all done to make the game more attractive to consumers. I can understand for something like Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 where an updated game came out only a couple months after with no way to upgrade from the previous one, but smash is a couple years.

If you don't like the practice, there's nothing forcing you to buy it.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Point taken.

Dunno, still don't think them too likely for a port. Maybe the Gematsu thing still has some aftertaste.
It'll be interesting to see how Nintendo goes forward with this port. They could very well just continue adding new characters and stages and maybe even modes to the base Switch version throughout the Switch's lifespan. In that way it could potentially be treated as a brand new entry in the franchise without having to lay the groundwork for a new game with a new engine and physics. I figure that's how this game will be treated but we'll see.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't buy the whole "Smash Switch shouldn't have new character because it's unfair to the originals" argument. If they have the opportunity to add more stuff why shouldn't they? Would it not be unfair to kneecap it? The originals are in pre-owned sections now. Why buy a Switch for Smash when you could get Smash 3DS and a 2DS for much cheaper?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If you don't like the practice, there's nothing forcing you to buy it.
It's a form of psychological tugging.

The existence of a separate superior version is not really a pro-consumer thing. If you happen to have bought the inferior version, then you'll feel left out. And as more and more people buy the new one, you'll finally want to fork over the cash too.

It's the same mentality on which micro-transactions run. It divides the players into haves and have-nots. It makes the have-nots feel that they are lacking something and creating a internal urge to pay up. It's a false choice.

I do feel it's scummy. I'd prefer they make a new Smash for Switch from ground-up instead.

Last edited:

Chrono.

I don't buy the whole "Smash Switch shouldn't have new character because it's unfair to the originals" argument. If they have the opportunity to add more stuff why shouldn't they? Would it not be unfair to kneecap it? The originals are in pre-owned sections now. Why buy a Switch for Smash when you could get Smash 3DS and a 2DS for much cheaper?
Then in that case just skip the port and wait for an all new Smash years later.

I don't disagree with the port, but that /is/ a solution.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Of all the issues to divide us, it's whether a Smash game should have new characters at all.

2016 has done some strange stuff but this may be the strangest yet.

Then in that case just skip the port and wait for an all new Smash years later.

I don't disagree with the port, but that /is/ a solution.
I suspect they'll play Smash Switch up as a new game but it'll be Smash 4 at it's core.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

The existence of a separate superior version is not really a pro-consumer thing. If you happen to have bought the inferior version, then you'll feel left out. And as more and more people buy the new one, you'll finally want to fork over the cash too.

It's the same mentality on which micro-transactions run. It divides the players into haves and have-nots. It makes the have-nots feel that they are lacking something and creating a internal urge to pay up. It's a false choice.

I do feel it's scummy. I'd prefer they make a new Smash for Switch from ground-up instead.
I like to think of it like this. No one likes to feel left out and you are an ass if you say " You dont want to feel left out? Buy what everyone else is getting"

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

It's the same mentality on which micro-transactions run. It divides the players into haves and have-nots. It makes the have-nots feel that they are lacking something and creating a internal urge to pay up.

Considering Brawl was almost a Melee port had Sakurai not agreed to make it and Sakurai seems to have finally left Smash, a small part of me almost wonders if a new game would even happen this generation without Sakurai holding it up.

I'd prefer a new game too, but after the sheer amount of agreement on the port I've made my peace with this being all I'm getting from the series this generation and just hope that Inkling has a fun moveset if they're getting in.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I cut a bunch of the regional forms in my Pokemon game now I only have 19 new ones. So including the returning ones there's 30 in total.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It's also the cause of patience being a virtue. In this day and age we know in our collective minds that there will be an inevitable 'Ultimate Edition'. As humans however, many of us want something as soon as we can get it. So, all in all, whether the whole Ultimate Edition thing is good or bad business wise or ethics wise doesn't matter because in the end it's our fault that we already bought the game and all the DLC that came with it as soon as we could instead of waiting on the 'Ultimate Edition' of the game.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

I'm still not seeing the issue here. I could understand for something that's a necessity or very important, like education or healthcare, but this is a video game, it's entertainment.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's something we could do other than argue the business ethics of re-releases, post your prediction list and your wish-list. Maximum of 5 each

Prediction
1. Splatoon Rep
2. Gen 7 Pokemon
3. Ice Climbers
4. Wolf
5. Rayman?

Wish
1. Inkling (w/ Callie & Marie alts)
2. Wolf
3. Ice Climbers
4. Solid Snake
5. Shantae

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm still not seeing the issue here. I could understand for something that's a necessity or very important, like education or healthcare, but this is a video game, it's entertainment.
Well, this is a video game forum. If we don't make a fuss about it, who else will?

And anyway, it's still concerns $60+ of your hard earned money. It is important.

So the gaming industry is free from this type of criticism because games aren't important.

Shutting down arguments isn't fun man :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom