• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
so can we talk about that impa looking character?

seriously that other swordsperson looks a bit like impa(white hair) then again it could be the multiplayer they said they wanted to bring in to it back when they first started talking about "Zelda WiiU"
That looks more like a regular NPC than Impa.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Just saying that, since Monolith Soft was entirely bought by Nintendo (i.e. all shares of the company now belong to Nintendo), that makes it a first-party studio by definition. In fact, Intelligent Systems is also wholly owned by Nintendo.

By virtue of being created and developed by these companies, Xenoblade and Fire Emblem are first-party franchises. They only would be "second party" franchises if those companies were independent from Nintendo and merely did their games in collaboration, both sharing the rights of those franchises. This is the case with Pokémon, whose rights holders are Nintendo, Game Freak, Creatures Inc. and The Pokémon Company.

Nintendo has no ownership of Game Freak whatsoever, therefore they don't have the same level of ownership with Pokémon as they have with Xenoblade and Fire Emblem.

About Shulk's difficulty of being in Smash: as Sakurai never specified why Shulk was a difficult addition to Smash in the first place, it is therefore fallacious to assume it was due to rights considering other factors like game design or the fact he's from a niche game could be part of said difficulty instead. When someone has to strawman to make their point seem credible, they're not doing a good job at proving its validity.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Just saying that, since Monolith Soft was entirely bought by Nintendo (i.e. all shares of the company now belong to Nintendo), that makes it a first-party studio by definition. In fact, Intelligent Systems is also wholly owned by Nintendo.

By virtue of being created and developed by these companies, Xenoblade and Fire Emblem are first-party franchises. They only would be "second party" franchises if those companies were independent from Nintendo and merely did their games in collaboration, both sharing the rights of those franchises. This is the case with Pokémon, whose rights holders are Nintendo, Game Freak, Creatures Inc. and The Pokémon Company.

Nintendo has no ownership of Game Freak whatsoever, therefore they don't have the same level of ownership with Pokémon as they have with Xenoblade and Fire Emblem.

About Shulk's difficulty of being in Smash: as Sakurai never specified why Shulk was a difficult addition to Smash in the first place, it is therefore fallacious to assume it was due to rights considering other factors like game design or the fact he's from a niche game could be part of said difficulty instead. When someone has to strawman to make their point seem credible, they're not doing a good job at proving its validity.
Do you have a source that could provide definitive proof that IS is wholly owned by Nintendo? I don't doubt you, it's just I see so much jumping around between people saying it is and that IS is just affiliated with Nintendo.
The only "source" I've ever seen regarding IS and Nintendo is Wikipedia, which just lists them as an, "affiliate" and not a, "subsidiary" like Monolith Soft.

EDIT: Is it also correct to say The Pokemon Company owns a stake in Pokemon? Ownership is split three ways between Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures with The Pokemon Company just being a joint venture between the three.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Do you have a source that could provide definitive proof that IS is wholly owned by Nintendo? I don't doubt you, it's just I see so much jumping around between people saying it is and that IS is just affiliated with Nintendo.
The only "source" I've ever seen regarding IS and Nintendo is Wikipedia, which just lists them as an, "affiliate" and not a, "subsidiary" like Monolith Soft.
At the very least, they own an overwhelming majority of stake, making it a first-party studio anyway.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/71188-Nintendo-Purchases-Stake-in-Monolith-Soft

And I think Bandai Namco later sold more of their stake to Nintendo. Can't find a source right now.

EDIT: http://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/company/profile.html

Yep, majority of the stocks are owned by Nintendo (任天堂). A minority of the shares is owned by three other people, one of them being founder Tetsuya Takahashi himself.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
At the very least, they own an overwhelming majority of stake, making it a first-party studio anyway.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/71188-Nintendo-Purchases-Stake-in-Monolith-Soft

And I think Bandai Namco later sold more of their stake to Nintendo. Can't find a source right now.

EDIT: http://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/company/profile.html

Yep, majority of the stocks are owned by Nintendo (任天堂).
I think you misread my post. I was asking about IS, Intelligent Systems.
I know Monolith is a 1st party Nintendo developer. It's just hard to find something saying Intelligent Systems is 1st party or not.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think you misread my post. I was asking about IS, Intelligent Systems.
I know Monolith is a 1st party Nintendo developer. It's just hard to find something saying Intelligent Systems is 1st party or not.
Intelligent Systems has always been a part of Nintendo. They are mainly responsible for developing Nintendo hardware dev kits since their inception. Don't have a source for their ownership status, but this I can say for sure (and my source is their official website).

EDIT: http://www.giantbomb.com/intelligent-systems-co-ltd/3010-333/

Intelligent Systems was formed through one of Nintendo's R&D departments, one of its founders being Gunpei Yokoi, creator of Game & Watch and Game Boy. They couldn't be more Nintendo even if they tried.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Intelligent Systems has always been a part of Nintendo. They are mainly responsible for developing Nintendo hardware dev kits since their inception. Don't have a source for their ownership status, but this I can say for sure (and my source is their official website).
Yeah, looking at their history, all they've ever done is develop games and hardware for Nintendo and have had their HQ at Nintendo buildings.
Seems like they're 1st party, which just brings up the question as to where this whole, "IS is 2nd party/not owned by Nintendo" thing came from?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hello everyone,

I came to this thread to inform you that the SmashBoards user known as Final Smash Gamer is a quarter-century old today.

Here it is. Now you are aware of it in case you weren't.

...Wait.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Yeah, looking at their history, all they've ever done is develop games and hardware for Nintendo and have had their HQ at Nintendo buildings.
Seems like they're 1st party, which just brings up the question as to where this whole, "IS is 2nd party/not owned by Nintendo" thing came from?
Check my edited post. They were formed from one of Nintendo's R&D departments. They're a first party studio.

As for the claims of being "second party" (there's no such thing as a second party whatever), they likely come from misinformed people who don't look for information to confirm whether the information they have is true or false.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Hello everyone,

I came to this thread to inform you that the SmashBoards user known as Final Smash Gamer is a quarter-century old today.

...Wait.
I came to this thread to congratulate the SmashBoards user known as Final Smash Gamer with the achievement of being alive a quarter-century

Last edited:
Does the Spirit Knight expansion for Shovel Knight have a release date yet? I missed the awards.

Hello everyone,

...Wait.
Happy quarter-centurieth birthday!

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Check my edited post. They were formed from one of Nintendo's R&D departments. They're a first party studio.

As for the claims of being "second party" (there's no such thing as a second party whatever), they likely come from misinformed people who don't look for information to confirm whether the information they have is true or false.
Was reading through some forums elsewhere, seems the "not 1st party" bit comes from Intelligent System's website.
They don't describe themselves as 1st party for Nintendo, just "supporting Nintendo" and having a "strong partnership".

Not that this explicitly says they aren't 1st party but I can see why people drew that conclusion, since they aren't explicitly described as 1st party either.

Link: http://intsys.co.jp/english/

EDIT: Just an example I found where someone drew the conclusion IS just has a "partnership" with Nintendo.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/69515826 It's GameFAQs but this kind of confusion can be seen elsewhere, like Wikipedia who just describes IS as strongly affiliated with Nintendo but not as a 1st party developer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hello everyone,

...Wait.
I'm here to wish the SmashBoards user known as Final Smash gamer a happy quarter centurieth birthday.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hello everyone,

...Wait.
Are you as old are your avatar being a ghost suggests?

But seriously, happy birthday.

Also, 2nd party has got to be one of the most annoying terms in all of history. XD

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I've been making a Doubles team based around Electric Terrain and Rain. The synergy of these two field moves and A-Raichu is fantastic, and I've been wanting to play it for awhile. Its not finished, and it only has three Pokémon right now, but I still want to share.

Here's what my team looks like right now.

Tapu Koko@Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Att, 4 Def, 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Wild Charge/Brave Bird/Roost/U-Turn

Pelipper@Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 Spe
Calm Nature
Hurricane/Scald/U-Turn/Roost

A-Raichu@Expert Belt
Ability: Surge Surfer
EVs: 252 SpA, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
Modest Nature
Thunder/Psychic/Focus Blast/Grass Knot

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I've been making a Doubles team based around Electric Terrain and Rain. The synergy of these two field moves and A-Raichu is fantastic, and I've been wanting to play it for awhile. Its not finished, and it only has three Pokémon right now, but I still want to share.

Tapu Koko@Life Orb
Jolly Nature

Pelipper@Leftovers
Calm Nature

A-Raichu@Expert Belt
Modest Nature
I did this once with these Pokés + Araquanid and Toxapex

D

Deleted member

Tapu Koko@Life Orb
Jolly Nature

Pelipper@Leftovers
Calm Nature

A-Raichu@Expert Belt
Modest Nature
I've been testing out both Koko and Bulu now that mine are fully trained
Koko really helps against Spore users who try to set up on you and Horn Leech on Bulu hits HARD
I even put Leftovers on him for maximum recovery lol, though I'm not really sure what's the best item for him

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123

Tapu Koko@Life Orb
Jolly Nature

Pelipper@Leftovers
Calm Nature

A-Raichu@Expert Belt
Modest Nature
I've been trying to run something like this as well :p I wanted Electro Ball on A-Raichu because of Surge Surfer. For Tapu Koko and Pelliper you have the same moves that I picked :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So here's a question/scenario thing.

Pokémon are real and you become a trainer. However, there is a catch: you can only have three or four total. In addition, you may only have one per generation, and can only choose either even or odd number generations.

In other words, your two options are A (one Kanto, one Hoenn, one Unova, and one Alola Pokémon) or B (one Johto, one Sinnoh, and one Kalos Pokémon). If a family is cross-generational, the region of the final evolution is the one you use (for example, getting a Munchlax in option A is fine since it evolves into Snorlax, but Chingling can't be used in option B). As well, legendary and mythical Pokémon aren't allowed because lore.

What team would you use under these conditions? Which option would you pick?
Strawpoll
What did you vote for, and what team would you use?

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

I figured this discussion would be over by now, so I'm not gonna get too deep into it.

But I just wanna point out that being formed from a development studio does not automatically make the new one part of the old one, or vice versa.

I can list plenty of examples of development studios that grew out of another development studio, but aren't owned by the studio they grew out from. Monolith Soft was actually born from Squaresoft, initially. Giant Squid was born from thatgamecompany. Big Red Button was born from Naughty Dog. Prope was born from Sonic Team. Etc, etc. Of the four studios I mentioned, they are all either not owned by the company they grew from anymore, or never were to begin with.

Your stating that "IS being formed from one of Nintendo's R&D departments makes them first party" is incorrect, and it actually goes to contradict a lot of what you posted before about them (which discussed who owned shares in what, rather than who was in the companies), even though the information you posted before is more correct. You're right about IS being born from one of Nintendo's R&D studios, but you're incorrect about that fact actually having anything to do with who owns the company.

You're also right about IS being owned by Nintendo, but it's only because Nintendo (to my knowledge) actually do own all shares in the company. It has nothing to do with being born from a Nintendo R&D studio, though. You can have one without the other, and the latter point has no relevance to the former.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

Pokémon are real and you become a trainer. However, there is a catch: you can only have three or four total. In addition, you may only have one per generation, and can only choose either even or odd number generations.

In other words, your two options are A (one Kanto, one Hoenn, one Unova, and one Alola Pokémon) or B (one Johto, one Sinnoh, and one Kalos Pokémon). If a family is cross-generational, the region of the final evolution is the one you use (for example, geting a Munchlax in option A is fine since it evolves into Snorlax, but Chingling can't be used in option B). As well, legendary and mythical Pokémon aren't allowed because lore.

Strawpoll
Blastoise (Kanto)
Decidueye (Alola)
Swellow (Hoenn)
Krookodile (Unova)

EDIT: Although, the other option with Slowking, Empoleon and Talonflame seems great too

Last edited:

In other words, your two options are A (one Kanto, one Hoenn, one Unova, and one Alola Pokémon) or B (one Johto, one Sinnoh, and one Kalos Pokémon). If a family is cross-generational, the region of the final evolution is the one you use (for example, geting a Munchlax in option A is fine since it evolves into Snorlax, but Chingling can't be used in option B). As well, legendary and mythical Pokémon aren't allowed because lore.

Strawpoll
Voted for option A, though it was a hard choice: My one favorite is from Gen I and other from Gen IV.

For Pokemon, I'd use Gengar, Metagross, Krookodile and Kommo-o.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123

In other words, your two options are A (one Kanto, one Hoenn, one Unova, and one Alola Pokémon) or B (one Johto, one Sinnoh, and one Kalos Pokémon). If a family is cross-generational, the region of the final evolution is the one you use (for example, getting a Munchlax in option A is fine since it evolves into Snorlax, but Chingling can't be used in option B). As well, legendary and mythical Pokémon aren't allowed because lore.

Strawpoll
Under these conditions:
Kanto: Pikachu
Hoenn: Flygon
Unova: Dewott
Alola: Decidueye

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I've been trying to run something like this as well :p I wanted Electro Ball on A-Raichu because of Surge Surfer. For Tapu Koko and Pelliper you have the same moves that I picked :p
Someone on Smogon made calcs on Electro Ball that reaffirmed why its not worth using over Thunderbolt or Thunder, but I can't seem to find it.

Honestly, if you're using both Pelipper and Tapu Koko, you should ALWAYS run Thunder. Electric Terrain + Rain are part of what makes Alolan Raichu so good. Once Surf is legalized, A-Raichu will be one of the top threats in OU. Guaranteed.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Someone on Smogon made calcs on Electro Ball that reaffirmed why its not worth using over Thunderbolt or Thunder, but I can't seem to find it.

Honestly, if you're using both Pelipper and Tapu Koko, you should ALWAYS run Thunder. Electric Terrain + Rain are part of what makes Alolan Raichu so good. Once Surf is legalized, A-Raichu will be one of the top threats in OU. Guaranteed.
That was for Koko though.
Max investment in speed + Choice Scarf + Surge Surfer + Electro Ball while gimmicky could work.

D

Deleted member

Strawpoll
Was a tough decision Between my favorite starter and my favorite Pokemon, but I ultimately went with option A.
I'd use Venusaur, Salamence, Golisopod, and of course, Chandelure.
If I went with B though I'd have Scizor, Luxray and Greninja.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom