• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The way I see it is they're normal in comparison to their home world, but when they're here there's such an immense power gap that they're essentially legends. Big fish in a small pond syndrome, kinda.

Also the spoiler is that they're catchable at all, FYI. :p
Oh yeah, I forgot that people thought they were going to be uncatchable, my bad. I respoiler everything then once I'm finished with this post.

Yeah, but Dragonball is also a massive multimedia franchise, and it remained alive well after the anime ended through video games.

There has in fact been a Dragonball game on every gaming system since the NES for 3 decades now, that counts for something. I'm very certain there has to be more Dragonball games in existence than Pokemon games, just due to the sheer number of them. Perhaps not Mario big, but certainly up there. It's often overlooked, but Goku is just as much a gaming icon as are the likes of Ryu, and Megaman and Link. It's just, he's also an Anime icon, and primarily so.

Not only that, but Goku is doubly popular in all of Asia, due to culture and the references he draws from lore, being a derivative of the single-handedly most popular character in Asian historical myth, Son Wukong. Not only that, but with Manga/Manwha having a much bigger reach in Asia than comics do in the west, it's very fair to say that Goku is far more popular in Asia than Superman is in the west, and Superman is a massive icon of American and western culture in general. Superman IS comics, just the same, Goku practically IS the face manga, and the shounen genre. Which, while anime/manga might be niche in the West, it's INCREDIBLY popular in Asia. I'd even argue that Manga is more popular in Japan and Asia than gaming is. Just take that in for a second. Practically EVERYONE in Japan reads manga. Gaming on the other side, is also relegated to a certain demographic of the population, just like the west. When looking at Goku, you have to take into account his global appeal, not just in the US. Both Pokemon and DB are worldwide phenomenom, but while DB kinda faded a bit in the US after the anime ended, it remained alive, and always was FAR more popular in Latin America, much more than Pokemon which kinda became more of a fad. I can at least say that Pokemon's popularity in Spain has certainly fallen and is seen as mostly for kids, meanwhile, Goku is recognized and loved by children and adults alike. And I know the same is true for Latin America as I was in Mexico when the Dragonball fever hit, and it was massive, EVERYONE watched DBZ, and collected the stickers and cards, even the teachers at my elementary school.

So, while won't argue that Goku is more popular than Pikachu (since that's why I asked the question), him and Dragonball are way more popular than you're giving credit. On a global scale, not just North America.

In fact, here's some food for thought, while Pikachu might only be a gaming icon, and the face of a massive multimedia franchise. Goku is an anime, gaming, manga, and cultural icon that defined a generation, and inspired countless different derivative works.
Yeah, I get that DBZ is popular, I was not not arguing that. My argument is that Pokemon is way bigger when you consider the bulk of it, not just exclusively one thing of it, I'm not talking about the pokemon anime specifically(DBZ is more so watched globally, but one spawns a lot more merchandise.), and yes the American market does matter a lot as it's a market that matters. That's how you have franchises like Street Fighter being much more popular and well known than KoF despite KoF and SNK games being a lot bigger in more countries overall. There's also the video games and even the trading card games, both which were big,. Which then you have DBZ games don't even come close to pokemon's sales despite there being a lot more DBZ games overall, and the trading card game also doesn't compare to pokemon's. Luckily unlike the poison popularity argument, I got the market on my side to prove that it doesn't really even come close when it comes to the global picture.

So we have people saying it's no contest in Pikachu's favour, and people saying that it's no contest in Goku's favour. ...Clearly there is a contest, then, eh? :p
Here anyway, anywhere else I look it's pretty much pokemon/pikachu no contest. I don't really even care which is more popular, I wouldn't be arguing for it if it wasn't true.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Question, is Chargabug's ability worth basing a strat around? Is its ability & Evolite good for late but not quite evolution location game play?

Thanksgiving food was planned for 330

I jokingly said it would be served at 500 because my extended family cant work together to open a door.

We wound up eating at 530 and i hadn't even eaten Lunch :/

I've been trying to chain fish a shiny :061:/Basculin...

I haven't broken the chain yet.

It's just been going on forever.:drsad:
Gonna be honest the fact someone used the :061: emote and it wasnt me just confused me a little
:061:

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, I forgot that people thought they were going to be uncatchable, my bad. I respoiler everything then once I'm finished with this post.

Yeah, I get that DBZ is popular, I was not not arguing that. My argument is that Pokemon is way bigger when you consider the bulk of it, not just exclusively one thing of it, I'm not talking about the pokemon anime specifically(DBZ is more so watched globally, but one spawns a lot more merchandise.), and yes the American market does matter a lot as it's a market that matters. That's how you have franchises like Street Fighter being much more popular and well known than KoF despite KoF and SNK games being a lot bigger in more countries overall. There's also the video games and even the trading card games, both which were big,. Which then you have DBZ games don't even come close to pokemon's sales despite there being a lot more DBZ games overall, and the trading card game also doesn't compare to pokemon's. Luckily unlike the poison popularity argument, I got the market on my side to prove that it doesn't really even come close when it comes to the global picture.

Here anyway, anywhere else I look it's pretty much pokemon/pikachu no contest. I don't really even care which is more popular, I wouldn't be arguing for it if it wasn't true.
I don't think Pokemon is WAY bigger than DBZ. They're definitely comparable.

I wasn't referring to the DBZ anime specifically either, but you can't only count gaming to give Pokemon the victory, when DB is more popular and iconic than Pokemon in other mediums. Again, gaming is a lot more niche than comics/manga/anime are in other parts of the world. The fact of the matter is that the Pokemon anime is only popular with hard core Pokemon fans, and some children, the movies too. Meanwhile DB anime and films continue to be at the crux of the anime industry. The Dragonball films easily outdo the Pokemon films at the box office, and Super, while I hate it, is still one of the most viewed and best selling anime today. The leg up that Pokemon might have in game sales surely gets outdone by viewership and box office sales for films and anime, as well as anime and soundtrack sales. Especially since Dragonball is no slacker in game sales either, DB games typically sell very well, on name recognition alone too. If DB games didn't sell, then they wouldn't continue to make them for 8 generations. Yeah, it's not Pokemon big, but Xenoverse sold 3.1 million units, and Xenoverse 2 has so far sold 1.4 million.

Plus, sales is a poor measurement for recognition. I guess it's a question that's hard to answer without bias, but the point here is which character is more iconic, which yeah, ties into franchise popularity, but Pokemon and Dragonball are worldwide phenomenons. After all, both Pokemon and Dragonball are Star Wars tier in terms of recognition and popularity, comparisons outside of there are hard to properly estimate. Especially since again, gaming isn't the only thing we're focusing on here, but TV, Merchandise, books, etc... I would argue that Goku encompasses a lot more into his character than Pikachu does.

Likewise, the the Anglosphere is important here, but there are two other cultural spheres in the world that hold just as much weight, the Asian sphere and the Latin Sphere, and I find that Goku is generally more recognizable among both of those for a variety of reasons. Like someone else ITT mentioned, Goku has a holiday after him in Japan.

D

Deleted member

Finally, big story spoilers thoughts time
First with Hapu being named Kahuna, that was a really great moment, especially since I like her a lot and oh man, she really did deliver on that battle. Kinda odd you get to fight her before the seventh trial but I'll take it
Also, the Ground Z-Move is the kost over-the-top of all Z-Moves, like, her Mudsdale tackled me to the CORE OF THE EARTH and then MADE IT EXPLODE

The Exeggutor Island scene with Lillie was great too, and oh boy **** me if I don't ship it

Team Skull makes their final stand and they try to make you tell them how to get Guzma back, a nice moment that shows how loyal they are to him
Then Plumeria also shows up and sends the grunts away and try to apologize for what she's done, again, another character I really liked from SM. Good thing she was the only Skull admin as that's what gave her time to develop unlike a certain group of four scientists...

I don't like Mina though, she completely neglects her job as a Trial Captain and the last Trial really suffers being turned into "beat these Pokemon here"
Totem Kommo-o put up a fight though he wasn't prepared for Oricorio's Z-Mirror Move copying his Clanging Scales and turning it into freaking Devastating Drake lol

Then comes the big moment, Lillie and the trainer playing the flutes was great and Nebby evolving into Lunala really puts another perspective into the Magikarp Power Trope

Now to the Ultra Space, even Guzma is afraid, and rightfully so, Nihilegos are very creepy after all
Lusamine has gone full mad and fuses with one of the Nihilegos and WHAT THE **** IS HENTAI LADY DOING HERE
She has her own team of mini Totem Pokemon though it's easy to get past their boosted stats
Though Moonlight Clefable and Recover Milotic are bull****
AND OH GOD THAT MUSIC
After that, Moonman separates MILF Cynthia from hentai tentacles and she becomes free from its mind control

We go back before we get tentacle ***** and they go get help for Lusamine
But Nebby doesn't want to leave so Lillie asks you to catch it
And again: OH GOD THAT MUSIC IS TENNOUTTATEN
Lunala is no joke being freaking Lv55 when my team is around Lv46
AND I GOT IT ON MY ONLY MOON BALL THIS IS THE MOST FITTING CATCH I HAVE EVER DONE

I stopped playing after Nanu asking meif I want him to take me to Tapu Village but all I'll say for now is:
>Not naming Lunala/Solgaleo as Nebby

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So, while won't argue that Goku is more popular than Pikachu (since that's why I asked the question), him and Dragonball are way more popular than you're giving credit. On a global scale, not just North America.

In fact, here's some food for thought, while Pikachu might only be a gaming icon, and the face of a massive multimedia franchise. Goku is an anime, gaming, manga, and cultural icon that defined a generation, and inspired countless different derivative works.
If you're talking on a truly global scale, you're missing one thing: Reach

The Dragon Ball franchise is not exactly iconic outside of North America, South America, Europe, and East Asia. The Dragon Ball anime was only part of the franchise I knew growing up, and I certainly never saw any merchandise or anything like that.

Pokémon was different. The Pokémon anime started airing in 2003-ish and saw collecting cards and similar merchandise tie-up within weeks of it. Children were buying up that stuff in droves. (Bad enough that I saw cases of parents locking away their kid's Pokémon stuff because they were too much into it.) It certainly managed to capture our minds much better than Dragon ball did.

Just look at the list of countries Pokémon GO has been released in. (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_GO#Release) That should give you an idea.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would argue that Goku encompasses a lot more into his character than Pikachu does.
Actually, no, if anything that's why pokemon crushes DBZ in popularity overall is that Pikachu is in so much merchandise it's pretty ridiculous.

And yes, I use sales and merchandise as that's the only way to determine popularity without personal bias and what you've seen personally. Someone earlier for an example said Goku has his own holiday, so he must be more popular... Pffft, tell me when either one of them gets a citizenship like Godzilla did. :p (Yes, they do honor him that much, even if he isn't really popular with Japan's younger generation, well, until this year's film anyway.)

Though Godzilla is arguably more well known and iconic then both of them(it helps that he predates both of them by a pretty good amount of time, meaning that even the very old generations), his lore and fandom aren't nearly as apparent as either DBZ's or Pokemon's(And I have seen both to be very apparent, maybe more so DBZ especially that Latin America community which you refer to which I come across quite often, then again I'm not as involved in the pokemon community as I used to be.), same goes for his merchandising. However like I said, Pokemon's merchandising is just pretty gigantic globally, reaching around globally while also being popular in the places with the most influence of popularity in the first place.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So outside of the 3 of the biggest nations in the world and half the largest nation in the world
All I meant to say is that Dragon Ball isn't iconic outside of the First World.

Step outside of it - Africa, Central Asia, Middle East and South Asia, (that's more than a third of the world population) and Dragon Ball's popularity decreases, while Pokémon's doesn't.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Game's main story beaten.

Maya sweeped Hala, Olivia and Acerola whilst Sif sweeped Golf Girl.
Kukui was nothing special.
The throne is mine
Top Kek went down easy, Torrent boosted Oceanic Operetta does some nasty damage. Not opting to catch it until more stuff is done in general, plus I didn't have Roach in my team for it.

Now for Post-Game

D

Deleted member

The Dragon Ball franchise is not exactly iconic outside of North America, South America, Europe, and East Asia.
But most of the world's population is centered in those locations. The most common languages in the world are English, Spanish, and Chinese, in that order. East Asia and the Anglosphere are responsible for most popular culture, that's why they matter the most. What's most popular in those parts of the world are what's most popular pretty much everywhere else in the world, as they set the trends, and they have the broadest appeal. USA and Japan account for most of the influx of popular culture into the globe. There's a reason why Africa for example doesn't have any iconic franchises hit the mainstream that were birthed in that part of the world.

Anyway, I agree with what you said about reach. I asked my friend the same question, and he replied Pikachu because Pokemon appeals to both genders, wheras DBZ only appeals to boys. Goku appeals and is a hero mostly to boys, whereas Pikachu is liked by boys and girls of all ages alike for different reasons. Which is a solid answer, so I guess that settles that.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
GUYS! I figured out why Ash doesnt age!

Haunters entry in Sun:

It strikes at humans from total darkness. Those licked by its cold tongue grow weaker with each passing day until they die.

Ash and Sabrina are dead!

Ultimate Theory confirmed!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
But most of the world's population is centered in those locations. The most common languages in the world are English, Spanish, and Chinese, in that order. East Asia and the Anglosphere are responsible for most popular culture, that's why they matter the most. What's most popular in those parts of the world are what's most popular pretty much everywhere else in the world, as they set the trends, and they have the broadest appeal. USA and Japan account for most of the influx of popular culture into the globe. There's a reason why Africa for example doesn't have any iconic franchises hit the mainstream that were birthed in that part of the world.

Anyway, I agree with what you said about reach. I asked my friend the same question, and he replied Pikachu because Pokemon appeals to both genders, wheras DBZ only appeals to boys. Goku appeals and is a hero mostly to boys, whereas Pikachu is liked by boys and girls of all ages alike for different reasons. Which is a solid answer, so I guess that settles that.
All I wanted to point out Pokémon managed to spread into Africa despite all the stuff they are facing. The Arabic dub of the Pokémon anime was broadcast over entire North Africa (before the fatwa came through), and Niantic thought it was worthwhile releasing Pokémon GO even in countries like Sierra Leone (where international media loves to focus on the negatives more), even when it hasn't been released in comparatively major markets like Russia.

So all the places with the strongest economies.
Sorry for quoting you again. I felt had to clear up something. The economy has nothing to do with how well a series does in a country. It's about culture. That's the reason Doraemon took off everywhere in Asia (from poor Bangladesh to rich Japan) but failed in the US.

Anyway, it was fun to debate.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Ok, storytime.
Friend tells me they're buying a game as an early christmas gift for me.
I specifically ask, "Before you buy it, what is it."
"I'm not telling you."
"Please."
"Nope, I watched some gameplay. It's something I know you'll binge for hours. I know it's something you'll like."
They proceed to buy a game I told them about while I was watching an LP of the entire game; something far more bullet helly than I can ever handle playing but I enjoyed watching for the story.
Am I in the wrong for being frustrated for them doing the exact thing I ask those questions for?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I think I did good

I got a PS4 Slim

Ironically Wal-Mart has no PS4 Pros

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Ok, storytime.
Friend tells me they're buying a game as an early christmas gift for me.
I specifically ask, "Before you buy it, what is it."
"I'm not telling you."
"Please."
"Nope, I watched some gameplay. It's something I know you'll binge for hours. I know it's something you'll like."
They proceed to buy a game I told them about while I was watching an LP of the entire game; something far more bullet helly than I can ever handle playing but I enjoyed watching for the story.
Am I in the wrong for being frustrated for them doing the exact thing I ask those questions for?
I think you're not in the wrong. Especially if it's a style of game you're not into.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I think you're not in the wrong. Especially if it's a style of game you're not into.
I wanna clarify a little.
My frustration isn't "Why did you get me a game I won't enjoy."
It's more of... "If you'd listen to me, you'd not waste your money; even if it was on sale."

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I wanna clarify a little.
My frustration isn't "Why did you get me a game I won't enjoy."
It's more of... "If you'd listen to me, you'd not waste your money; even if it was on sale."
I knew what you meant. I was going with both of those. lol

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I'm going to go with my latest guess as to the Nintendo Switch's year one first/second party lineup. Mix of leaks and utter guesswork on my part, but I like to think it's safer than what a lot of fake leaks roll with.

Ports with significant new content:
Super Smash Bros 4
Mario Kart 8
Splatoon
Pokemon Stars
Mario Maker. . .if it panned out, anyway. Seems like it would be treated the same as the others if it did, especially considering all the updates over time it got in the first place.

Ports/Simultaneous Releases without significant extra content:
LoZ:BotW
Pokken Tournament (Borderline, I expect the arcade version with Darkrai, Scizor, Empoleon, and Croagunk to be brought over)
XCX (Possibly made by Tantalus I.E. the Twilight Princess HD guys since Monolith Soft isn't handling it and they basically confirmed they were doing port work for Nintendo)
*Tantalus Port B* (Tantalus actually spoke plurally about whatever they were doing, so it's possible there's another port already being worked on by them as well)

New Games:
3D Mario
Pikmin Reboot
Animal Crossing
Wave Race
*Retro Project*
*New IP*

This is about the picture I'm starting to get of Year 1 for the Switch, give or take a thing or two and with some vague slots in need of clarification. Obviously part of the appeal would have to do with whether the new IP is the "Hit it out of the ballpark" kind or the "meh" kind and what Retro is doing other than "not one of the two IPs they've already worked on," but about how would you all feel if this was the lineup?

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The ps4 honestly gave me the least enjoyment of the 3. But congrats I guess.
Well I need muh Persona and Spider-Man plus all them Japanese fighters so I don't mind. Plus they kinda run better on PS4 anyway

D

Deleted member

I might still wait to get a PS4. More and more games are coming out for it that interest me, but it was disappointing to hear that certain games actually run worse on the Pro edition.

Speaking of which, I honestly have a hunch that Nintendo might come out with an incremental upgrade for the Switch.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I might still wait to get a PS4. More and more games are coming out for it that interest me, but it was disappointing to hear that certain games actually run worse on the Pro edition.

Speaking of which, I honestly have a hunch that Nintendo might come out with an incremental upgrade for the Switch.
Considering Microsoft and Sony are doing it, and iirc Nvidia mentioned something about how tegra can be incremental, they'll probably release a strong Switch down the line. Especially if they plan to keep up with the competition.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I`m having a good listen of the soundtrack for Sun and Moon on Youtube...to see which tracks I like because I can`t remember all of the route and area themes in the game...

This is easily my favourite soundtrack for any of the Pokemon games, by far!! Just blows ORAS out of the water...

edit: seriously...

Last edited:

Chrono.

Wait, what?

I just got to this supermarket and to my surprise, the Strange Souvenir was on sale.

What the ****?

What was the point of hiding it away in XY if you can just buy one here for a relatively cheap price (don't answer if it involves some big secret or something).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I have 3 more hours of work this black friday

Wait, what?

I just got to this supermarket and to my surprise, the Strange Souvenir was on sale.

What the ****?

What was the point of hiding it away in XY if you can just buy one here for a relatively cheap price (don't answer if it involves some big secret or something).
I think the joke is that it's nothing but a cheap mass produced souvenir

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom