• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't like Timer Balls and Quick Balls being nerfed. They were absolutely necessary to catch some Pokemon. With a limited number of Master Balls(generally 1 or 2), it becomes a severe pain to get some.

Don't get me wrong, I want catching some Pokemon to be a challenge, but it already was before the nerf.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I don't but I believe I got a Igglybuff
Though I can't do it right now and I already found out that there's an ingame trade for one and I already got the Pokemon required for it

Hey, mine is Lonely too
Is it female? If it is, they could make babies together
Also, you're already there? ****, I only got to the Ghost Trial yesterday and I have the game since Friday
Yeah, it doesn't matter, I already have one, I need like 10 Pokemon to complete the Pokedex now.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't but I believe I got a Igglybuff
Though I can't do it right now and I already found out that there's an ingame trade for one and I already got the Pokemon required for it

Hey, mine is Lonely too
Is it female? If it is, they could make babies together
Also, you're already there? ****, I only got to the Ghost Trial yesterday and I have the game since Friday
Spoopychu is a lady, yes
THAT ***** ASS ************ JUST CAME BACK FOR MORE
I HAVE 99 ULTRA BALLS AND I ****ING SWEAR, YOU BETTER GET IN THERE BEFORE I FIND A MINIOR YOU PUNK

D

Deleted member

...Ultra Beasts are allowed in Battle Tree...

...Kartana just became my BP Magnet.
To be fair, most Ultra beasts do have some pretty hindering weaknesses that the battle tree WILL throw at you.(For an example, this sounds ridiculous, but Venosaur somehow was perfectly capable of crushing my Ultra Beasts with ease, perfectly countering them, except for Buzzwole who already died anyway because special fire moves pretty much destroy it, but they are effective when you match them up with Pokemon that complement them well, Ultra Beasts don't really cover eachother that well.)

And the actual reason why they aren't banned is because the Battle Tree(and other similar things like the battle frontier.) don't ban strong pokemon, they just ban legionaries, regardless of whether or not they're any good.(In fact, if I remember correctly, even Cosmog is banned despite it being on par with magikarp.)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

****ing hell, Gen 7 has even dethroned N as my favorite Pokemon character
Lillie is just great and too pure
Spoopychu is a lady, yes
THAT ***** *** ************ JUST CAME BACK FOR MORE
I HAVE 99 ULTRA BALLS AND I ****ING SWEAR, YOU BETTER GET IN THERE BEFORE I FIND A MINIOR YOU PUNK
THEY SHALL MAKE BABIES THEN

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To be fair, most Ultra beasts do have some pretty hindering weaknesses that the battle tree WILL throw at you.(For an example, this sounds ridiculous, but Venosaur somehow was perfectly capable of crushing my Ultra Beasts with ease, perfectly countering them, except for Buzzwole who already died anyway because special fire moves pretty much destroy it, but they are effective when you match them up with Pokemon that complement them well, Ultra Beasts don't really cover eachother that well.)

And the actual reason why they aren't banned is because the Battle Tree(and other similar things like the battle frontier.) don't ban strong pokemon, they just ban legionaries, regardless of whether or not they're any good.(In fact, if I remember correctly, even Cosmog is banned despite it being on par with magikarp.)
The game treats them as legends. They just ban things like cover legends and mythicals, not every legend. UBs, Tapus, the legendary birds, Heatran, Cresselia...generally those types are allowed.

D

Deleted member

I shall tear the battle tree apart with either my Adamant or Jolly Buzzwole.
Which one should I use though?

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ

I understand that. Its just hilarious that they aren't considered Legendaries. ESPECIALLY Kartana, who, with the right setup, is impossible to kill in Battle Tree. But no, you're right, its not about the power of the Pokémon. You would've thought that they would add UBs as Legendaries, but... I guess not.

I'm going to be using Kartana in the Battle Tree from now on. After SD it sweeps with ease. I just need to decide on how to support it properly.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I understand that. Its just hilarious that they aren't considered Legendaries. ESPECIALLY Kartana, who, with the right setup, is impossible to kill in Battle Tree. But no, you're right, its not about the power of the Pokémon. You would've thought that they would add UBs as Legendaries, but... I guess not.

I'm going to be using Kartana in the Battle Tree from now on. After SD it sweeps with ease. I just need to decide on how to support it properly.
As stated, they ARE considered legendaries. The in game battle facilities don't ban ALL legendaries, just cover legends+their relatives and mythicals. Legends like the birds, the dogs, the Regis, the Lake Guardians, the Forces of Nature, the Muskadeers, the Tapus, the UBs, Latios and Latias, Heatran and Cresselia are allowed.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I've been trying to chain fish a shiny :061:/Basculin...

I haven't broken the chain yet.

It's just been going on forever.:drsad:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
As stated, they ARE considered legendaries. The in game battle facilities don't ban ALL legendaries, just cover legends+their relatives and mythicals. Legends like the birds, the dogs, the Regis, the Lake Guardians, the Forces of Nature, the Muskadeers, the Tapus, the UBs, Latios and Latias, Heatran and Cresselia are allowed.
...oh right. I forgot some are allowed in. Its been awhile, what can I say?

Still. Regardless of everything, I now full understand that BP is NOT difficult to farm because of this. And I plan on utilizing it to the best of my ability.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why the heck can Sandshrew learn Leech Life?

I dunno, but I gave it to him

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Please remember those spoiler tags. That does relate to the UB stuff. I did edit at least one post to quickly put a spoiler tag in, but it's prefer you guys do it yourself.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'm up to the fourth island and am now bored of my team :(

I might have to go back and make some changes.

Also I have like no special attackers and some annoyingly slow Pokemon.

The biggest surprise for me is Shell Smash Turtonator. I'm loving it.

Maybe see ya later run of the mill Passimian, Muk and 2 slow Wishiwashi...

D

Deleted member

I think the issue between the two of them is consistency in cultural presence.

Dragon Ball/DBZ was popular in its nineties heyday here, but has dropped off immensely since then. The thing with Pokémon and Pikachu in particular is that it never dropped off. It's been marketed so aggressively that its popularity never died out. Waned? Yes. Died out? No. Outside of anime/manga/video game fans, which are a small minority of the GA, DBZ and Goku are, from my experience, solely remembered by guys born in the nineties who grew up watching Toonami...and that in itself is a small subset of the population.

I mean, the Power Rangers have a balloon, so humanoid characters aren't really hard. :p
I mean, there's no doubt Goku is pretty popular and well known. But Pikachu? You have to keep in mind that he's the face of a global trend and craze, that reached to people who'd otherwise never really touch any games or anime. It spawned a lot of merchandise and sales that last to this day, it reaches out to the VERY general and broad mainstream to the point where you have had people bringing it up in the news and politics because it was so 'hip'. After all "Leeeets Pokemon GO to the polls!" : ^ )

IDK, just kind of seems like an odd comparison, and I could go on and on about pokemon/pikachu as a trend, it just transcends nerd culture as a whole times, especially when it comes to pikachu. I mean, it being targeted towards a child demographic alone made it so much popular, rather than being late nights on Toonami, it was watched by A LOT of children all over the world that adults with no interest in anime or games in the first place were exposed to as a result.
Yeah, but Dragonball is also a massive multimedia franchise, and it remained alive well after the anime ended through video games.

There has in fact been a Dragonball game on every gaming system since the NES for 3 decades now, that counts for something. I'm very certain there has to be more Dragonball games in existence than Pokemon games, just due to the sheer number of them. Perhaps not Mario big, but certainly up there. It's often overlooked, but Goku is just as much a gaming icon as are the likes of Ryu, and Megaman and Link. It's just, he's also an Anime icon, and primarily so.

Not only that, but Goku is doubly popular in all of Asia, due to culture and the references he draws from lore, being a derivative of the single-handedly most popular character in Asian historical myth, Son Wukong. Not only that, but with Manga/Manwha having a much bigger reach in Asia than comics do in the west, it's very fair to say that Goku is far more popular in Asia than Superman is in the west, and Superman is a massive icon of American and western culture in general. Superman IS comics, just the same, Goku practically IS the face manga, and the shounen genre. Which, while anime/manga might be niche in the West, it's INCREDIBLY popular in Asia. I'd even argue that Manga is more popular in Japan and Asia than gaming is. Just take that in for a second. Practically EVERYONE in Japan reads manga. Gaming on the other side, is also relegated to a certain demographic of the population, just like the west. When looking at Goku, you have to take into account his global appeal, not just in the US. Both Pokemon and DB are worldwide phenomenom, but while DB kinda faded a bit in the US after the anime ended, it remained alive, and always was FAR more popular in Latin America, much more than Pokemon which kinda became more of a fad. I can at least say that Pokemon's popularity in Spain has certainly fallen and is seen as mostly for kids, meanwhile, Goku is recognized and loved by children and adults alike. And I know the same is true for Latin America as I was in Mexico when the Dragonball fever hit, and it was massive, EVERYONE watched DBZ, and collected the stickers and cards, even the teachers at my elementary school.

So, while won't argue that Goku is more popular than Pikachu (since that's why I asked the question), him and Dragonball are way more popular than you're giving credit. On a global scale, not just North America.

In fact, here's some food for thought, while Pikachu might only be a gaming icon, and the face of a massive multimedia franchise. Goku is an anime, gaming, manga, and cultural icon that defined a generation, and inspired countless different derivative works.

D

Deleted member

The game treats them as legends. They just ban things like cover legends and mythicals, not every legend. UBs, Tapus, the legendary birds, Heatran, Cresselia...generally those types are allowed.
Well, yeah, but
I don't consider UBs legendaries as rather than actually being mystical or legendary they are treated more like beasts than legends, with their own ecosystems back in their world and not to mention they are a lot more common than Legendaries, as you can catch multiple, such as me catching 4 Kartanas in one game.

That's also one thing that separates Necrozma from the UBs, it acts as it's own legend with significance rather than simply being a beast. Which BTW, is banne despite having the same BST total of Heatran and other legends similar to it.(Probably due to a future form like Kyrurem/Zygarde, as that's the new third legendary formula.)

Also I forgot about the legendary Birds/small trio pokemon in general. Which share the same BST total as UBs, but I still don't consider UBs legionaries due to their origins and how they're treated which is a bit different than the smaller legendaries. Yeah, those are not banned, you're right, it's usually cover legendaries, mysticals, and event pokemon.

Then again Ultra Beasts are pretty complicated in general, they're just kind of a new thing altogether.
I understand that. Its just hilarious that they aren't considered Legendary. ESPECIALLY Kartana, who, with the right setup, is impossible to kill in Battle Tree. But no, you're right, its not about the power of the Pokémon. You would've thought that they would add UBs as Legendaries, but... I guess not.

Yeah, though IMO being a legendary has more to do with origin and background rather than being strong, since a legendary can be weak while a normal pokemon can be overpowered. Same goes for UBs, which is why I define them by their origin.
[/SPOILER]

I shall tear the battle tree apart with either my Adamant or Jolly Buzzwole.
Which one should I use though?
Jolly, it already hits thing hard enough, the problem is when it gets outspeeded.

Please remember those spoiler tags. That does relate to the UB stuff. I did edit at least one post to quickly put a spoiler tag in, but it's prefer you guys do it yourself.
I don't get why even mentioning the UBs is considered a spoiler considering I haven't mentioned their origins outside of spoiler tags, I mentioned their effectiveness in the battle tree and how they aren't technically legends, but that doesn't really say anything specific or spoiler about them, there's no detail at all.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Illima makes a comment if you beat the Kahuna without using a Z move

Ha Illima. Didn't need your stupid Normalium Z or whatever.

He's just jeleous

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, yeah, but
I don't consider UBs legendaries as rather than actually being mystical or legendary they are treated more like beasts than legends, with their own ecosystems back in their world and not to mention they are a lot more common than Legendaries, as you can catch multiple, such as me catching 4 Kartanas in one game.

That's also one thing that separates Necrozma from the UBs, it acts as it's own legend with significance rather than simply being a beast. Which BTW, is banne despite having the same BST total of Heatran and other legends similar to it.(Probably due to a future form like Kyrurem/Zygarde, as that's the new third legendary formula.)

Also I forgot about the legendary Birds/small trio pokemon in general. Which share the same BST total as UBs, but I still don't consider UBs legionaries due to their origins and how they're treated which is a bit different than the smaller legendaries. Yeah, those are not banned, you're right, it's usually cover legendaries, mysticals, and event pokemon.

Then again Ultra Beasts are pretty complicated in general, they're just kind of a new thing altogether.

Yeah, though IMO being a legendary has more to do with origin and background rather than being strong, since a legendary can be weak while a normal pokemon can be overpowered. Same goes for UBs, which is why I define them by their origin.
[/SPOILER]

Jolly, it already hits thing hard enough, the problem is when it gets outspeeded.

I don't get why even mentioning the UBs is considered a spoiler considering I haven't mentioned their origins outside of spoiler tags, I mentioned their effectiveness in the battle tree and how they aren't technically legends, but that doesn't really say anything specific or spoiler about them, there's no detail at all.
The way I see it is they're normal in comparison to their home world, but when they're here there's such an immense power gap that they're essentially legends. Big fish in a small pond syndrome, kinda.

Also the spoiler is that they're catchable at all, FYI. :p

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Anyone find Pokérus infected Pokémon yet? If you do, please, for the love of god, spread your infection. I need it.
I got a Pokerus infected Golem from the GTS.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
So we have people saying it's no contest in Pikachu's favour, and people saying that it's no contest in Goku's favour. ...Clearly there is a contest, then, eh? :p

For what it's worth, I'd give it to Pikachu. At least in this part of the world, Dragon Ball was nowhere near as popular as Pokémon, and these days would be virtually unheard of outside of anime/manga/video game fan circles, while Pokémon was iconic - everyone knew about it back in the 90s, and everyone still knows about it today thanks to stuff like Pokémon Go. I grew up in the 90s, when both series could be said to have been at their peak, and had never even heard of Dragon Ball before I first went abroad in 2001. So if we're talking "on a global scale", some input from someone like me outside North America must be worth something, right?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Well, as a fair warning. . .

Tapu Bulu and Tapu Fini self-heal. Tapu Bulu actually heals EVERY grass type in the area and it wears off after a few turns since it's related to it's weather ability, so it's mostly fine, but Tapu Fini uses Aqua Ring and, well. . .
Thanks for the heads up.

*sigh* That's not going to be fun to deal with, I guess I'll have to get a good tank with False Swipe for Bulu and something that can Taunt Fini to help deal with that passive healing, but I'm probably going to need some help from Anna here if I want those two to cooperate with the RNG and stay in their Pokeballs.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I got a Pokerus infected Golem from the GTS.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE CONSERVE THAT!

I don't care what has the disease- but I seriously need it. Can you infect and save a Pokemon for me until we can trade? I don't have much but tell me what you want now and I'll see what I can do. I'm a Sun player if it matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom