• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Binding Blade sucks cause Roy is ****ty and doesn't promote until like the second or third last chapter.
And yet, I still enjoyed it. I've played through it three or four times now?

Don't delude yourself that everyone shares your tastes in games.

D

Deleted member

Fates sucks cause Corrin and his siblings barring Azura, Elise and Sakura are basically untouchable.
Wait, what? Since when? Maybe Xander and Ryoma during their introduction, but as they aren't really even close to being untouchable, there's definitely been more powerful units in other FE games.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
To further twist the knife, some people have made little short about that developp the character and the world of the game in general. Like this video for exemple.
It's really showing you how Fates was probably rushed at some point. Not only on the story, but also for some gameplay's point. (Hello Revelation!Odin, how you going in the trash can?)
It's just a damn shame really, this game had so much potential lost and now, it will be remembered mostly for it's poor storytelling.

Poor Corrin, your amazing design deserve a much better character...

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Wait, what? Since when? Maybe Xander and Ryoma during their introduction, but as they aren't really even close to being untouchable, there's definitely been more powerful units in other FE games.
I'd say Ryoma is pretty near untouchable, even on Lunatic. The solution to practically every problem Birthright throws at you is to just throw Ryoma at it and watch him mop up. Giving a unit like that a 2-range weapon was pretty needless, in my opinion. Xander is a decent tank with his huge def growth and personal weapon, but loses out due to his speed issues - he sure doesn't count as untouchable, if nearly everything can land a hit on him. :p Though I agree that there are better overall units in other games, like Seth and Sigurd, but they also have other factors like availability over Ryoma or Xander.

I still preferred Birthright the most out of the three, though, personally. It was the most polished of them, I felt, and had something akin to difficulty scaling as you progress, while the other two are all over the place.

(finally, a discussion I can actually join in on! :p)

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Dhelmise? **** man, that's dumb stuff. Now Regenerator Mareanie
Also, Minior's first catchablr after the Ghost trial, right?
Minior is found near the Electric trial.
You have to go down the road and off to the side.
It's also where you get Ditto.

D

Deleted member

I'd say Ryoma is pretty near untouchable, even on Lunatic. The solution to practically every problem Birthright throws at you is to just throw Ryoma at it and watch him mop up. Giving a unit like that a 2-range weapon was pretty needless, in my opinion. Xander is a decent tank with his huge def growth and personal weapon, but loses out due to his speed issues - he sure doesn't count as untouchable, if nearly everything can land a hit on him. :p Though I agree that there are better overall units in other games, like Seth and Sigurd, but they also have other factors like availability over Ryoma or Xander.

I still preferred Birthright the most out of the three, though, personally. It was the most polished of them, I felt, and had something akin to difficulty scaling as you progress, while the other two are all over the place.

(finally, a discussion I can actually join in on! :p)
Oh yeah, I was thinking of Ryoma in Birthright though, I was thinking Ryoma in Revalations, since Birthright is so easy TBH, that it's not that hard for a unit to seem unstoppable. Not to say that Ryoma and Xander aren't great units, but they aren't broken, especially not to the point of breaking the whole game.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

So here's an interesting question:

Which of these two would you say is the more iconic/recognizable/popular character, and why?

D

Deleted member

Which of these two would you say is the more iconic/recognizable/popular character, and why?

Pikachu, in all honesty. Especially outside of any fandom when it comes to normal, everyday people. I just think pikachu is more popular to the point where even some random very casual soccer Mom can have AT LEAST a vague familiarity of what Pikachu is, even if not by name. Goku I'd say is more celebrated and popular within his own fandom than Pikachu is in its own fandom.(Which makes sense because with hundreds of pokemon that are loved by all different kinds of people, a lot of people are bound to greatly prefer something over Pikachu.)

Though to be honest popularity arguments are a waste of time when the two being compared are of a similar level. Though in this case I think Pikachu is on a different level of recognizably than Goku anyway. Especially when you look at it from a brand and sale perspective to the GA.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Here's to hoping IntelleSys learned from theri mistakes and try writing a much better plot for Fire Emblem 15. If it's going to be Switch exclusive, I hope they drop the dual release idea for a bigger game a la Radiant Dawn/Path of radiance.

Goku.

He pioneered the shonen manga scene and he is one of the biggest anime characters internationally. People still talked about Dragon ball Z to this day, even when Super finally happened.

Pikachu is popular, but his games are far more bigger than his own anime/manga.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

For me, it's Pikachu. Pokémon is just a lot more visible in popular media than Dragon Ball. Even someone who has never seen an anime or never played a game likely has a vague idea of Pikachu (or at least that he's a Pokémon.) Also helps that Pokémon spans a lot more forms of media - anime (which has a worldwide audience), manga, console games and mobile games (Pokémon GO is even in countries which never saw the anime, like Nigeria).

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I'd love a Stufful, it can even be Klutz since I just need it for Pokedex completion but I ain't running through grass for a 5% chance of a Pokemon I'm not even gonna use
I have a bunch of Pokemon in my box and may even breed some for you if you want a certain nature and/or ability, though I wouldn't be able to do it right now
Do you have a Jigglypuff?
Edit: now I don't need one.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

Pikachu hands down, Pokemon is so popular now those days that even people who know jack **** about Pokemon will tell you they know Pikachu.
For Goku, while he is a popular anime character. He isn't really that much popular by now. He was know in the 80'-90' and Dragon Ball is still remembered. But Goku isn't really now what most people think when they talk about Anime. Also, Pokemon is a multi-media franchise, so, more people from different media can learn more about Pokemon than Dragon Ball.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Without a shadow of a doubt, Pikachu. In the US anyway, not only is Pikachu leaps and bounds beyond Goku in terms of recognizability, but Pokémon as a whole is leaps and bounds more well known than Dragon Ball is.

Honestly it's not even a contest here. After all, only one of these two had a balloon in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade this year, and for the past fifteen years. :p

D

Deleted member

Pikachu hands down, Pokemon is so popular now those days that even people who know jack **** about Pokemon will tell you they know Pikachu.
For Goku, while he is a popular anime character. He isn't really that much popular by now. He was know in the 80'-90' and Dragon Ball is still remembered. But Goku isn't really now what most people think when they talk about Anime. Also, Pokemon is a multi-media franchise, so, more people from different media can learn more about Pokemon than Dragon Ball.
Nah, I would definitely still argue Goku is hands down the most popular and iconic anime character to date. Everyone in the world knows who Goku is, plus he's got a massive legacy, and is an incredibly recognizable character. The Dragonball franchise probably has had more games that Pokemon in fact. It also has two collectible card games, AR games, merchandize, a currently running anime series, tons of films, and hundreds of millions of fans.

Now, whether Goku or Dragonball are more popular than Pokemon is a different story, but it's hard to say overall, hence the question.

But just like every gamer knows who Pikachu is, every gamer knows who Goku is. Not only that, but plenty of old people recognize the character in the west, just like Pikachu. You forget that DBZ is single-handedly responsible for making anime popular in the West. It too created a fever in the mid 90s, just like Pokemon did.

Without a shadow of a doubt, Pikachu. In the US anyway, not only is Pikachu leaps and bounds beyond Goku in terms of recognizability, but Pokémon as a whole is leaps and bounds more well known than Dragon Ball is.

Honestly it's not even a contest here. After all, only one of these two had a balloon in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade this year, and for the past fifteen years. :p
Well, to be fair, how WOULD you make a balloon of Goku? But I suppose that's a fair point.

D

Deleted member

Sun update:
Team:
Coo the Decidueye
Pancakes the Raichu
Mr. Krabs the Crabominable
Spot the Lycanroc
Vastra the Salazzle
Greg the Golisopod
Why the **** must I catch 4 Kartana? At least I know what to do with them... I'm gonna trade one for its counterpart, and the other 2 will be traded for a Cosmog and a Cosmoem respectively as I want to have every Pokemon from each evolutionary line.
Afterwards, I caught Guzzlorrd, who was a bit of a pain in the ass to find because I didn't have access to resolution cave, and I had to battle Dexio before even going to the route where it's found. Highlight of the battle:
*Dexio sends out Alakazam*
*I send out Greg*
"It's gonna mega evolve, isn't it?"
*It mega evolves*
"Awww, you got a Mega Alakazam? That's cute."
*Greg used First Impression!*
*The opposing Alakazam fainted!*
Anyways, I did end up catching Guzzlord, and later, I went to Ten Carat Hill to catch Necrozoma. Was harder to catch than the UBs but oh well.
I also caught the 3 remaining Island Guardians, and got myself a Cosmog which I will evolve into a Solgaleo, and then trade it for a Lunala.
Not sure what I should do next though. What else is there to do in the postgame?

Also, here's a question to people who played at least some of the Sun/Moon postgame.
How'd you rank the UBs? Here's my ranking, from favorite to least favorite:
Buzzwole > Xurkitree > Guzzlord > Kartana > Nihillego > Pheromosa >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Celesteela

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Lusamine is a ****ing joke.
Bewear effectively doomed itself with Pain Split so Tucana one shot it.
Mismagius went down to a single crunch from Sif
Lilligant and Milotic lost to Borg Camlann badly.
Clefable was the worst but even then she didn't do a thing worth noting.

Like seriously, a proper difficulty option in future would be really nice.

Oh well, caught Solaire so there's that.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

Pikachu because Dragonball is still considered niche if we're considering all around the world

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sun update:
Team:
Coo the Decidueye
Pancakes the Raichu
Mr. Krabs the Crabominable
Spot the Lycanroc
Vastra the Salazzle
Greg the Golisopod
Why the **** must I catch 4 Kartana? At least I know what to do with them... I'm gonna trade one for its counterpart, and the other 2 will be traded for a Cosmog and a Cosmoem respectively as I want to have every Pokemon from each evolutionary line.
Afterwards, I caught Guzzlorrd, who was a bit of a pain in the *** to find because I didn't have access to resolution cave, and I had to battle Dexio before even going to the route where it's found. Highlight of the battle:
*Dexio sends out Alakazam*
*I send out Greg*
"It's gonna mega evolve, isn't it?"
*It mega evolves*
"Awww, you got a Mega Alakazam? That's cute."
*Greg used First Impression!*
*The opposing Alakazam fainted!*
Anyways, I did end up catching Guzzlord, and later, I went to Ten Carat Hill to catch Necrozoma. Was harder to catch than the UBs but oh well.
I also caught the 3 remaining Island Guardians, and got myself a Cosmog which I will evolve into a Solgaleo, and then trade it for a Lunala.
Not sure what I should do next though. What else is there to do in the postgame?

Also, here's a question to people who played at least some of the Sun/Moon postgame.
How'd you rank the UBs? Here's my ranking, from favorite to least favorite:
Buzzwole > Xurkitree > Guzzlord > Kartana > Nihillego > Pheromosa >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Celesteela
I think my ranking would be pretty much the same, although I don't dislike the last one that much

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Goku is one of the largest anime stars in history.

Pikachu is one of the largest multimedia stars in history.

It's Pikachu.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Oh and I caught Serperior in a Beast Ball. And its Female. So now I wait for Bank to open so I can breed it with a Contrary Serperior and get a bad*** Beast Ball Contrary Serperior. Very amusing.

So if it isn't obvious, I just learned about Island Scans and the QR Scanner. The fact Cyndaquil is on that list tells me I will be having a Typhlosion sooner then expected. Which is awesome.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The Thanksgiving dinner is shaping up to be very diverse in my home. A good picture of Australian and American foods for the best of both worlds.

Can't wat to dig in after all the hard work I've did with the meat and pasta.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Nah, I would definitely still argue Goku is hands down the most popular and iconic anime character to date. Everyone in the world knows who Goku is, plus he's got a massive legacy, and is an incredibly recognizable character. The Dragonball franchise probably has had more games that Pokemon in fact. It also has two collectible card games, AR games, merchandize, a currently running anime series, tons of films, and hundreds of millions of fans.

Now, whether Goku or Dragonball are more popular than Pokemon is a different story, but it's hard to say overall, hence the question.

But just like every gamer knows who Pikachu is, every gamer knows who Goku is. Not only that, but plenty of old people recognize the character in the west, just like Pikachu. You forget that DBZ is single-handedly responsible for making anime popular in the West. It too created a fever in the mid 90s, just like Pokemon did.
I think the issue between the two of them is consistency in cultural presence.

Dragon Ball/DBZ was popular in its nineties heyday here, but has dropped off immensely since then. The thing with Pokémon and Pikachu in particular is that it never dropped off. It's been marketed so aggressively that its popularity never died out. Waned? Yes. Died out? No. Outside of anime/manga/video game fans, which are a small minority of the GA, DBZ and Goku are, from my experience, solely remembered by guys born in the nineties who grew up watching Toonami...and that in itself is a small subset of the population.

Well, to be fair, how WOULD you make a balloon of Goku? But I suppose that's a fair point.
I mean, the Power Rangers have a balloon, so humanoid characters aren't really hard. :p

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I think the issue between the two of them is consistency in cultural presence.

Dragon Ball/DBZ was popular in its ninteties heyday here, but has dropped off immensely since then. The thing with Pokémon and Pikachu in particular is that it never dropped off. It's been marketed so aggressively that its popularity never died out. Waned? Yes. Died out? No. Outside of anime/manga/video game fans, which are a small minority of the GA, DBZ and Goku are, from my experience, solely remembered by guys born in the nineties who grew up watching Toonami...and that in itself is a small subset of the population.

I mean, the Power Rangers have a balloon, so humanoid characters aren't really hard. :p
I think they had a Float.

Not a Balloon

D

Deleted member

I mean, there's no doubt Goku is pretty popular and well known. But Pikachu? You have to keep in mind that he's the face of a global trend and craze, that reached to people who'd otherwise never really touch any games or anime. It spawned a lot of merchandise and sales that last to this day, it reaches out to the VERY general and broad mainstream to the point where you have had people bringing it up in the news and politics because it was so 'hip'. After all "Leeeets Pokemon GO to the polls!" : ^ )

IDK, just kind of seems like an odd comparison, and I could go on and on about pokemon/pikachu as a trend, it just transcends nerd culture as a whole times, especially when it comes to pikachu. I mean, it being targeted towards a child demographic alone made it so much popular, rather than being late nights on Toonami, it was watched by A LOT of children all over the world that adults with no interest in anime or games in the first place were exposed to as a result.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
...Ultra Beasts are allowed in Battle Tree...

...Kartana just became my BP Magnet.

EDIT: LOL ITS OHKOing EVERYTHING I CANT EVEN

D

Deleted member

Do you have a Jigglupuff?
I don't but I believe I got a Igglybuff
Though I can't do it right now and I already found out that there's an ingame trade for one and I already got the Pokemon required for it
IT HAS A LONELY NATURE
MIMKKYU NEEDS HUGS ALL DAY ERRYDAY
Hey, mine is Lonely too
Is it female? If it is, they could make babies together
Also, you're already there? ****, I only got to the Ghost Trial yesterday and I have the game since Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom