• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The new Marvel characters I really want in MvC4:

• Spider-Man (Miles Morales)
  • Ms.Marvel (Kamala Khan)
  • Nova (Sam Alexander, though since Richard Rider is back it might not happen)
  • The Maker (Ultimate Universe Reed Richards)
  • Black Panther (T'challa)
  • Namor
  • Wiccan/ Hulkling
  • Riri Williams (Ironheart)
  • Flash Thompson (Agent Venom)

Replacements:
  • Amadeus Cho replacing Bruce Banner as Hulk
  • Victor Von Doom replacing Tony Stark as Iron Man
  • Jane Foster replacing Odinson as Thor
I haven't read Infamous Iron Man yet, but how is Doom's Iron Man suit compared to Tony's? Like load out wise.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Found our Smash 4 Switch Newcomer.

Anyway, @Zoroarking I may play one of those Etrain Odyssey games. I'm not sure yet... sell it to me. Why should I play it?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's truly one of the Wii's most hidden gems!
Why do Zack & Wiki never appear in Versus games? Capcom loves cramming their obscure characters in there as they know it'll sell as long as you slap Ryu's face and Morrigan's... charms on the cover.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
So I wonder, if Smash Switch is an updated Smash Wii U, if the DLC characters will actually get custom moves and maybe unique Palutena's Guidance?

I'd guess but I wouldn't hold my breath.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
So I wonder, if Smash Switch is an updated Smash Wii U, if the DLC characters will actually get custom moves and maybe unique Palutena's Guidance?

I mean, I'd hope.

It was weird when they got Pit and Palutena's VA's for Bayo's trailer, and yet we didn't get new Guidances.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Why do Zack & Wiki never appear in Versus games? Capcom loves cramming their obscure characters in there as they know it'll sell as long as you slap Ryu's face and Morrigan's... charms on the cover.
At least Capcom was nice enough to add that game to the Wii U eShop.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699

There's fanmade Guidances for the DLC characters with Palu, Pit, Viridi, and Bayo's has Hades. They're well-done, and well-written. Check them out.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Personally I'd rather see Iron Man and Doctor Doom separately.
They're both decent characters in their own right. And are recognizable enough that both can coexist.

Most people think Stark when they see Iron Man, and others see Victor when they see Doom.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
The new Marvel characters I really want in MvC4:

• Spider-Man (Miles Morales)
  • Ms.Marvel (Kamala Khan)
  • Nova (Sam Alexander, though since Richard Rider is back it might not happen)
  • The Maker (Ultimate Universe Reed Richards)
  • Black Panther (T'challa)
  • Namor
  • Wiccan/ Hulkling
  • Riri Williams (Ironheart)
  • Flash Thompson (Agent Venom)

Replacements:
  • Amadeus Cho replacing Bruce Banner as Hulk
  • Victor Von Doom replacing Tony Stark as Iron Man
  • Jane Foster replacing Odinson as Thor
Something else I forgot to add, if they do replace Tony with Doom, they could still have the Classic Doom character and moveset, but with Kristoff Vernard (Doom's adopted son) in the armour.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I don't think they should do any of the new comic characters like Cho Hulk or new Iron Man.

Go for the familiar stuff but what my main issue will be is how much MCU pandering will there be. I liked MvC3 a lot more since it didn't feel like it was an advertisement for the movies so I don't want that to get into the game

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I don't think they should do any of the new comic characters like Cho Hulk or new Iron Man.

Go for the familiar stuff but what my main issue will be is how much MCU pandering will there be. I liked MvC3 a lot more since it didn't feel like it was an advertisement for the movies so I don't want that to get into the game
I think at best, the most MCU pandering there will be the re-designs like MCU Black Panther over comic book Black Panther.

Edit: And voice actors as well, in the case of Rocket Racoon.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

It depends, mainly, on what'd be considered MCU pandering.

It's a tough line to draw, especially since most of the big hitters in the MCU are big hitters in the comics nowadays as well.

Just learned that WWE smackdown is about an hour away from me right now (from Curt Hawkins none the less)

would have loved to go to a live show instead of just the smaller shows (even if those were pretty good) and it's so close.

Shame I missed it because this show has been pretty good (even if too much promo not enough match) but oh well.

:061:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I also hope with a bunch of X-Men (apparently) recently appearing in one of Marvel's mobile games, I hope that means we can get more X-men characters in Marvel 4.

I also hope they trigger the hardcore wolverine fans and make X-23 Wolverine like she is in the comics... and then give us OML for the classic Wolverine moveset.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I really hate it when comic books replace a character with a new one.

We don't need another Iron Man or Spider Man.

Make them something in their own right like War Machine.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
I think at best, the most MCU pandering there will be the re-designs like MCU Black Panther over comic book Black Panther.

Edit: And voice actors as well, in the case of Rocket Racoon.
I have to ask because I haven't read a comic with Black Panther in a while......what are the main differences between the comic and the MCU, costume-wise?
Also, perhaps a costume change for spidey to fit in with civil war?

D

Deleted member

F-Zero X is on the eShop in Japan, and during the same week as the 60Hz PAL release. Coincidence? Maybe.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I really hate it when comic books replace a character with a new one.

We don't need another Iron Man or Spider Man.

Make them something in their own right like War Machine.
I can see it going both ways, since it depends on the character.

Namely if it involves the death/depowering of the original, someone else taking up the mantle makes sense. Sam Wilson became Captain America after Steve lost his serum strength, and is now operating as Captain America even after Steve regained the mantle. Amadeus Cho, similarly, took on the Hulk mantle after curing Bruce Banner, since he absorbed a deadly amount of radiation and would have gone berserk had he not been cured. The radiation needed a vector of sorts, so Cho injected himself with it and became a Hulk. All in all, those two were pretty well done, IMO.

And then there's other cases like Ms. Marvel just using Carol's old moniker after the latter upgraded to Captain Marvel. And it makes sense considering she's a Captain Marvel fan girl, despite her completely different power set. :p

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

Namely if it involves the death/depowering of the original, someone else taking up the mantle makes sense. Sam Wilson became Captain America after Steve lost his serum strength, and is now operating as Captain America even after Steve regained the mantle. Amadeus Cho, similarly, took on the Hulk mantle after curing Bruce Banner, since he absorbed a deadly amount of radiation and would have gone berserk had he not been cured. The radiation needed a vector of sorts, so Cho injected himself with it and became a Hulk. All in all, those two were pretty well done, IMO.

And then there's other cases like Ms. Marvel just using Carol's old moniker after the latter upgraded to Captain Marvel. And it makes sense considering she's a Captain Marvel fan girl, despite her completely different power set. :p
And X-23 with the death of Wolverine.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

I'm not against new characters inheriting a title exactly... But at the same time, I don't want old characters to be forgotten.

D

Deleted member

Found our Smash 4 Switch Newcomer.

Anyway, @Zoroarking I may play one of those Etrain Odyssey games. I'm not sure yet... sell it to me. Why should I play it?
Oh boy, here we go
*cracks knuckles*
Disclaimer: I just want to let it clear thag YOU asked for this, YOU awakened this wall of text.
So, putting in the simplest way possibe, Etrian Odyssey is an homage to Old-School Dungeon Crawler RPGs, from the first person exploration, to the character creation and finally to the touch screen map drawing which is a practical way of reviving player's on-paper notes.

Character creation is one of its main aspects, there are no set playable characters with personalities and dialogue(with the exception of the Untold remakes, but I'll get into that later), the point of it is for you to create your own much like you would do in a Tabletop RPG.

Party balance and synchrony are the keys to battles, with usually around 10 classes to choose from, each with four portraits(and one pallete swap for each in III and IV), varying from damage dealers to support and defense, all hardly ever overlap with another and with some sort of gimmick: things like the Ronin's Stances that boost certain stats and allow use of different skills, Dark Hunter's higher damage against enemies afflicted by ailments or binds or simpler ones like Protector's Elemental Walls that can negate all damage of a hit from a specific element. They can also vary imside the class itself, such as different weapons to use that change the skills avaible or different roles one class can take. One thing to note too, is that ailments and to an extent binds are much more useful than in other RPGs and are almost essential, bosses are usually vulnerable to most of them(with the exception of obvious ones like Instant Death and Petrify or sometimes just resistant to some potential powerful ones like Fear), as for Binds, every skill uses at least one of three body parts, and all can be binded, meaning certain skills can't be used if they're bound, and that ectends to you and enemies. Finally, battles rely much more on strategy, in a way like Pokemon or SMT, patterns need to be understood abd weaknesses need to be exploited and you need to be aware of them to have a chance against even random encounters, some classes take further advantage of these to boost their damage even more or have a higher chance of inflictong an ailment or bind.

Now to exploration, floors are all maze-like, and since you'll be revisiting them a lot(either because of a quest or having to go back to town to heal), you'll need to draw a map to not get lost, while it may seem like a chore sometimes, it's usually very satosfying to look at a completed map and know you can rely on it for the rest of the game.
As for the labyrinth itself, it has two things to keep the exploration interesting: out of battle events, be it chests, some choice based events with unique monsters or items or story events; and FOEs. FOEs are basically the signature of EO, monsters that move around the labyrinth floors that will always be stronger than you when you first meet them, meaning you have to avoid them, which is where puzzles come in, from analysing their movement patterns or to find a way to knock them out with some overworld objects without fighting.

Tl;dr Etrian Odyssey is an Old-School RPG from the likes of Wizardry, if you don't like that kind of game, then you probably won't like EO; if you do like them or don't have an opinion on them, then give one of the 3 demos on the EShop a try because they're probably the best demos I've ever seen of any game.

As for the Untold games, they're remakes of fhe first two games and feature a Story Mode with pre sst characters and a more "developed" story(quotes because it's hard to do such a thing with existing "plots").
They were done with the intention of attracting new players but it's kinda hard when it's the exact opposite of the series.
Though they do have some interesting chatacters and some cool animated intros(and cutscenes too for the first Untold)
Or how I like to call it: OC-Making Monster Slaughtering Anime Dungeon Crawler with One Obligatory Loli for each Female Portrait Set
I guess I kinda went overboard with it but well, I don't get to talk about it too oftem

Last edited by a moderator:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Wow. So umm. I'm a dummy.

If you're looking for the new Unown shapes in HGSS, just tune your radio to Mysterious Transmission and the odds of finding an uncaught shape rises.

Pfft, this is easy. What the heck. Wish I knew that before.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm not against new characters inheriting a title exactly... But at the same time, I don't want old characters to be forgotten.
Trust me, they wouldn't be. Arguably the only case where a legacy character completely overshadowed its original version nowadays is Carol Danvers becoming Captain Marvel after Mar-Vell, but at the same time, his death was incredibly moving and she didn't take up her new mantle until much later. :p

Even in cases like Nova, a comparatively more minor character in the grand scheme, people were still longing for Richard Rider's return until he was finally confirmed to be coming back recently.

Trust me, them being forgotten isn't an issue. :p

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
They definitely won't, since most of the old characters are still alive and kicking...

Key word key being most.

RIP Bruce Banner and Tony Stark.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Most of the old characters are still alive and kicking tho...

Key word key being most.

RIP Bruce Banner and Tony Stark.
They'll be back in time for Ragnarok/Infinity War promotion anyway. ;)

Also you didn't even mention Rhodey. :(

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh don't worry, I know they will.

Also, Rhodey didn't have anyone taken up the mantle of War Machine after his passing... unless I am missing something..
Oh, I was just going by deaths, not replacements, haha. Poor Rhodes.

Although I do wonder whether I should consider Tony dead or not. From what I heard, isn't his consciousness still around in Infamous Iron Man, acting as Doom's AI? Almost like a tech ghost. Kind of a weird case.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To me it comes off as pandering, lazy, and uncreative when new people take up the mantle of existing characters. I'm not huge into comics, but I'd much rather have a new black female character with her own unique name and powers than simply making Iron Man into a black female for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom