• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If you said something bad about a popular character in Smashboards, there would be about 4 to 5 people who would be triggered and respond to you as a result. So yeah, most people here take Smash speculation seriously.
That happened for almost every character man.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
If you said something bad about a popular character in Smashboards, there would be about 4 to 5 people who would be triggered and respond to you as a result. So yeah, most people here take Smash speculation seriously.
And if you say something GOOD about a character that isn't part of that cool kid's club, you'll trigger 4 or 5 people. Which I honestly find worse.

I don't even mind when a defense force swoops in most of the time because characters get bashed so much that it's a welcome break to see someone actually stick up for something.

I do get kind of irritated when something is outright treated like a sacred cow that can do no wrong though, as after all the bashing I've seen treating some characters as above criticism seems like a double standard and pretty hypocritical.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
That happened for almost every character man.
I mean most characters sure, but none get more bashing and triggering than Bayonetta.

Most of the time, it was just me who defended Bayonetta versus a whole bunch of people.

Not even Bayo supporters could help defend her much when it was her turn in Rate Their Chances.

So yeah, you could say that the end-negative reaction I got at the end of Smash 4 speculation had a large emotional impact on me. Which led to me questioning whether or not people are honestly happy with arguing about Smash. What do you gain from it after experiencing it so many times?

**** Viewtiful Joe's water level.

Water physics making you feel like 4,000 pounds in a 2d beat em up action game is bad.

Weird electro mines that punish your powers and just make it so you cant move are bad.

A boss that has a counter you cant react too and can heal is obnoxious

BUT WHY OH WHY DO I NEED TO HEAR "WARNING WARNING A BOMB HAS BEEN ARMED" OVER THE LOUDSPEAKERS FOR 90% OF THE LEVEL?
I mean most characters sure, but none get more bashing and triggering than Bayonetta.
Ridley

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Looking at the trailer he was in the part with the Super move montage so maybe he is playable.
Just looked at the trailer again with a better connection and yeah, it looks like he's playable.

In that case...

Black Manta hyyyyyyyyyyyyype! My most wanted right off the bat (no pun intended). :p

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Personally I'd say they were both equally controversial. Although Bayonetta in particular had more people who said no to the idea than yes due to her having the most problems with her sexyness, iconicness, etc. She had more problems than Ridley, who in particular only had his size as the only major problem.

Last edited:
Personally I'd say they were both equally controversial. Although Bayonetta in particular had more people who said no to the idea than yes due to her having the most problems with her sexyness, iconicness, etc. She had more problems than Ridley.
Unless you count the actual reveal too (which IMO is cheating) then nah. More individual problems. WAY less of a total problem.

Ridley was far and away the most controversial characte. There is a reason Ridley fans wound up quarantined.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Unless you count the actual reveal too (which IMO is cheating) then nah. More individual problems. WAY less of a total problem.

Ridley was far and away the most controversial charactre. There is a reason Ridley fans wound up quarantined.
Well if you based on aggressive reaction, then yeah, I see. But Bayo is still one of the most controversial. Guess I didn't clarify sooner.

And being one of the most controversial, you could imagine how much that emotionally impaired my brain to defend Bayonetta by myself for a long time. And how negative I felt towards the end of it.

I just want you guys to understand my perspective.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I still remember the day I tagged Shokio on Ridley's final day in the original Rate Their Chances thread, and then he actually posted and gave the purple space dragon a big zero. Good times.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Geno, one of the most likeliest characters? Really?

Do people suddenly believe for a moment that Square would even remotely be on board with having him in Smash even though it has absolutely no benefit for them?
Not many people voted, it's part of the Source Gaming choice series.

If I remember correctly I didn't vote for Geno (I don't hate him, I just think other characters are more likely.)

After Brawl Sakurai wanted to work on a portable Smash and include new IPs into Smash.

Sakurai talked about customization in a couple of his Family Columns before the project plan was finished.

...and that's exactly what happened with Smash for 3Ds/Wii U.

The way we approached the voting was if Smash for NX was built upon Wii U/3Ds, and was going to be a launch title for NX.

After Smash for Wii U/3DS development finished Sakurai talked about liking to work with interesting characters (FE Anniversary, and his column Exhaustion and Excitement). That's what I personally kept in mind when voting (in addition to popular characters, relevancy, etc).

Neo Zero and I actually had a 1.5 hour discussion on this article (oh god, I came off as a huge nerd in it)...I need to edit the audio and I'm trying to decide if I should wait until E3 is over to post it...but that's also a thing if you are interested.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I got done with school and how I'm all unpacked at home.

To celebrate, do you guys want me to make another hunger games thing?

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
A minor nitpick with the DLC characters for me was that there was only one non human character as DLC and he and one other character had a different art style.

Also I'm seeing the Warcraft movie on Tuesday(my local theatre lowers the price of movies on Tuesdays).

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Can of Peas will return along with Champion Jack Sparrow and Champion Sam the Eagle.

Our two champions and one fan favorite from the first game.

Pick one fan favorite from the second game please.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Smash speculation is over for now you guys. Now we can start Injustice 2 speculation :D

Supergirl, Atrocitus, Gorilla Grodd, Black Manta, Captain Cold, and Dr. Fate are all pretty much confirmed at this point, and Ed's poll may lead to Blue Beatle and Swamp Thing being playable

These are the newcomers I predict will get in.

Black Canary
Darkseid
Booster Gold
Red Hood
Static Shock
Circe
Red Tornado
Brainiac
Starfire
Poison Ivy

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
>sees Ridley's name

Every time someone brings up Ridley I have that same little situation I find funny pop into my head again.

"Ridley is so big, he's a stage!"

*looks at Chapter 23 of a certain game*

. . .*snicker*

I think Ridley could use that as a stage.

In Eight Player Smash.

Like, "too big" is apparently only the go-to argument until you bring up someone other than Ridley it can apply to. Then it switches to "proportions" REAL quick.

Like, I think if Sakurai's really going "too big" about characters, then he's probably looking at his own character that he designed at enough of a scale that an individual disproportionately small organ is the size of Ridley and just going "Yeah. . .No."

-This Comment Brought To You By The Society For A More Consistent Set Of Character Standards. We Nitpick Vocabulary So You Don't Have To. (TM)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Can of Peas will return along with Champion Jack Sparrow and Champion Sam the Eagle.

Our two champions and one fan favorite from the first game.

Pick one fan favorite from the second game please.
Was Rowlet game two?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
After playing enough Bust A Groove, I have a suggestion for a Hunger Games character.

Hamm with his hamburgers of doom would be perfect for the game.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
You want him because of a the sheer hilarity of a fat guy being gut alive, right? :troll:
Guilty as charged.

Seeing the death of large squishies can be more satisfying than yelling at Lawrence all day.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I would just like to weigh in one the above subject about speculation and anger and whatnot.

At this point I think King K. Rool and Ridley are equals. Even though the former's fanbase is a step down from Ridley's there is just a staggering level of similarity over how speculation transpired for them as DLC and main game possibilities respectively. High hopes at the beginning followed by a massive, negative pants soiling reveal(Pyrosphere/Mii costume), followed by the character not getting in and general anger from the fans, some more extreme than others. Also characters that you could get bashed for saying anything negative about them and speculation juggernauts in the echo chambers.

I mean, sure, the last part also applies to fanbases such as Wolf(bleh), but I've always found the parallels between croc and space dragon to be so amazingly similar to one another ever since speculation ended last December.

Just a thought of mine.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The characters have already been chosen.

Sorry.

Chrono.

Just saying but, Crash in being Skylanders doesn't rule out a new game.

I wouldn't hit the panic button just yet.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
>sees Ridley's name

Every time someone brings up Ridley I have that same little situation I find funny pop into my head again.

"Ridley is so big, he's a stage!"

*looks at Chapter 23 of a certain game*

. . .*snicker*

I think Ridley could use that as a stage.

In Eight Player Smash.

Like, "too big" is apparently only the go-to argument until you bring up someone other than Ridley it can apply to. Then it switches to "proportions" REAL quick.

Like, I think if Sakurai's really going "too big" about characters, then he's probably looking at his own character that he designed at enough of a scale that an individual disproportionately small organ is the size of Ridley and just going "Yeah. . .No."

-This Comment Brought To You By The Society For A More Consistent Set Of Character Standards. We Nitpick Vocabulary So You Don't Have To. (TM)
RDS12.jpg

After years of the same excuse.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I just opened up my laptop and Windows 10 updated automatically for me.

WHY? :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom