• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I have a question for you guys who like to speculate. I might sound stupid.

Do you ever feel happy trying to "win" a Smash speculation argument?

Sometimes, I feel Smash arguments is the only "food" you guys have to survive life.
I think I know what you're getting at.

But aren't you guilty of that too?

I mean, you renamed yourself Fumi got Smash 4 DLC Right for a while.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
In that case I misunderstood you. I thought you meant the characters you listed were like Lucario. Though now that I think about it, Lucina could apply as she got in PXZ2, with Chrom added there
I guess the easiest way to put it is:

Look at what Lucina has gotten over the past few years since Awakening:
-Smash, but as an easy to add clone that otherwise wasn't considered, they just had some extra dev time
-Guest appearance in Codename STEAM along with the other FE Smash reps because IS needed a way to promote their new IP easily
-Guest appearance in Fates, same as above. New FE fans are familiar with her so it's an easy way to get them invested
-PXZ2 along with Chrom since they fit pretty well and made sense for that game if Nintendo wanted characters in it
-Some merchandise but barely any, the most significant one is the Figma

This is all that has happened in the last four years since she debuted. Along with appearing in a few PR things like that Women's History Month thing.

Basically, it FEELS like she's been in loads, but it's not much in reality. Her game is recent and very popular, so of course she still shows up a bit. We won't know if she's truly popular and a mainstay icon until a few more years. If she pulls a Rosalina and is just showing up in more and more stuff and getting more and more merchandise, then she's here to stay. Keeping in mind Rosalina went through a similar thing at first - she showed up in one game as a major character, and that was supposed to be it. But then she was popular so they put her in that game's sequel, as well as Mario Kart, and got a little bit of merchandise. They didn't know what to do with her for a while, but they knew she was popular, so they eventually got her into a bunch more games and just solidified her as a mainstay, with her getting more merchandise and becoming increasingly prominent as poster/front box material, and was literally top priority for Smash. And the reason why we can say she is a mainstay, is because it's almost been a decade since she debuted now and things just keep getting better if you're a Rosalina fan.

If you want my personal opinion though:

Chrom and Lucina: They're gonna be mainstays, I'm confident in that, and that's because they were the main heroes of the game that saved the series. Awakening is really a "soft reboot" for Fire Emblem for all intents and purposes. Marth and Anna will be "classic legacy mascots", but I think Chrom and Lucina will be the "modern legacy mascots".

Robin: Could be mainstay, but his/her status as "the avatar" and essentially being non-canon might get in the way. Corrin can effectively replace him too.

Corrin and Azura: I don't think they will stay because Corrin will likely be overshadowed by the next avatar character, and Azura is just sort of a plot device and doesn't seem very popular anyway. She didn't make any impact like Chrom or Lucina.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
How exactly are most of his moves just variations of Food X' moves?
image.jpeg

Wait what? What this about Food X? We ain't playing Persona here, are we?

Clones yes but different clones are not the same in terms of similarities to their originators. When someone is going to try to compare Dr. Mario and Wolf because "they're both clones" then i'm going to have to call that BS out.
Oh I agree. But that doesn't mean we should say he's a original character as of now.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The fact the characters in Smash are represented as trophies doesn't mean they are other completely different characters/versions, IMO.

That's like saying the Mario from Mario Kart is not the same as Super Mario's Mario, because he is having fun with Bowser instead of fighting with him, I don't know.

They are videogame characters, creators/directors can do whatever they want with them, in Smash Lucina is a trophy, in other games she isn't, it's not a completely different universe or something like that, just different decisions that make sense considering the videogame.

That's practically confirmed with all the Smash references in different "canon" (God, I hate that word) games, like the Smash ability in Kirby, the KI conversations and all that.

That's my opinion XD
This isn't really debatable in the case of the FE characters though.

In Fates, they literally disclose that the Marth/Ike/Lucina/Robin you can summon using amiibo in the game, is not the same character from previous Fire Emblem games, but an alternate universe version from Smash. It's the canon explanation.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
After Relax Alax Super Smash Facts video, I can't call Wolf original now.

When he has moves from other characters and variations of Fox moves plus a similar final smash to Fox/Falco, he's just a much as a clone as most characters.

Hell calling Lucas a clone is insulting to most people. Most of these characters are clones, it's just the matter of how unique they are from their original characters they are based from

Well except for Luigi
A character being called a clone is often treated like an insult to most people. It's more or less why we came up with terms such as "semi-clones" or "pseudo-clones" in order to soften the blow a little. And even then some fans of certain characters find that insulting.....

It is true that Wolf is a special type of character though in that he didn't just borrow moves from Fox and Falco but also from a few other characters as well, giving him his own type of flavor in return. I mean, they where pressed for time after all.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
It is true that Wolf is a special type of character though in that he didn't just borrow moves from Fox and Falco but also from a few other characters as well, giving him his own type of flavor in return.
So basically Wolf = Frankenstein's Monster now? Well, I guess we all know what Wolf's alt costume must be should he return to Smash!:troll:

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hey, cuts are important now!

How else are you supposed to keep the lawn nice and tidy-looking?:troll:
Only this kind of cutting involves a lot of butthurt. I'm no exception unfortunately :(.
Considering the only argument so far about cuts was something that ended up being a misunderstanding, I think this is surprisingly good for a cut debate
Yeah, I guess. Usually cut debates devolve in to "which character I don't like" or "which character I know for sure won't get in" and at the end of the day we usually get proven wrong. Just speaking in general terms.
View attachment 109641Oh I agree. But that doesn't mean we should say he's a original character as of now.
For sure. People insisting that Wolf is completely original would also be wrong. It's just there's a huge misunderstanding among Smashers who aren't familiar with clone specifics that will say stupid nonsense like "Wolf should never come back cuz he's a clone" and compare him to the likes of Doc and Dark Pit. These people tend to be very annoying.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Fox. I meant Fox.

Typos.
Oh I see and variations come from his specials and I think a few of his grabs.

When Fox has almost all of Wolf's specials as custom moves, that should say something. Everything else is from other characters or for him alone.

So basically Wolf = Frankenstein's Monster now? Well, I guess we all know what Wolf's alt costume must be should he return to Smash!:troll:
To be fair, Sonic is the same way, however he has the advantage of having most of his moves be in ball form back in Brawl

Smash 4 fix that by giving him new moves and new animations but it's still there like him having Pikachu's forward air and Samus' back air

_Sheik

Smash Lord

Not to take her defense, but... Seriously? That's plain awesome.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Yeah definitely, and even when I passionately speculated Bayonetta for quite a while for DLC, when I made that last minute roster change that removed Bayonetta and she got revealed, the most I felt was feeling good that the Bayo and icon arguments would finally end. I felt great for the fanbase.

But then I got depressed after people here corrected and mocked me and how I didn't get Bayonetta right because of that roster change. Even when you do get a few characters technically correct, there are some people who are desperate with finding things/contradicitions and trying to correct me with the right terms just to get me in a negative mood.

I suffered 3 years of Smash speculation defending characters man I felt were underrated. And people here have not changed attitudes on how they approach speculation discussion. It's why I asked the question.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Blue (Da Bu Dee), one of the few great songs with a CGI infested music video that didn't age well.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I have a question for you guys who like to speculate. I might sound stupid.

Do you ever feel happy trying to "win" a Smash speculation argument?

Sometimes, I feel Smash arguments is the only "food" you guys have to survive life.
I think it kind of depends on the way the argument is handled.

A debate that can happen without devolving into childish insults can be pretty interesting and informative to participate in. In that case, it might well make me feel a little happy to try to "win."

On the other hand, there are other discussions where it feels less like I'm trying to win for fun and more like I'm trying to not lose because losing would mean that the other party had convinced me that a situation would happen that would make me feel saddened. I guess I'd feel happy to "win" here too, but out of relief rather than joy.

And then there's situations that are bickering that are more just cringeworthy and depressing than anything else. In those cases, just being there means you kind of lose.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
>Download Uwizard
>Seems like a normal Wii U hacking program
>But suddenly

Rosalina is a hacking wizard.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Well it was really just Corrin and Bayonetta.

Among a list of 20 characters.
I speculated that Robin was the most likeliest Awakening character at one point and I thought Doctor Mario and Roy were more likely than what people gave them credit for. I'm sure everyone here got something right speculation-wise.

On the other hand, there are other discussions where it feels less like I'm trying to win for fun and more like I'm trying to not lose because losing would mean that the other party had convinced me that a situation would happen that would make me feel saddened. I guess I'd feel happy to "win" here too, but out of relief rather than joy.
You just summed up FE discussions in one paragraph.:troll:

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Don't hate Aussie. That song is my jam. :b:
I'm not hating, I'm just saying.

The song is good, but the music video's CGI is kind of hard to look at nowadays. :laugh:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I have a question. Is it normal to notice a small difference in a character's design when it's a character you don't really care for? I played Mario Party 10 and something about Rosalina irked the **** out of me. Hsr black heels. Does this mean I'm a closet fangirl, have an eye for detail or something else?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I speculated that Robin was the most likeliest Awakening character at one point and I thought Doctor Mario and Roy were more likely than what people gave them credit for. I'm sure everyone here got something right speculation-wise.
Yeah, once I saw Mario's custom Neutral B moves, I had a good feeling Dr. Mario had no chance as an alt, since the Megavitamins weren't there. I overall thought he had a good chance coming back at that point.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I actually got into arguments over that if Cloud had a chance and said that if there was a Final Fantasy rep, it would have been him.

I didn't say I was right but that he had a chance.

And True Blue Warrior True Blue Warrior agreed with me that popularity and historical sense meant more with third parties than before. And me and him was 100% right on Shovel Knignt not even being in the game.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Yeah definitely, and even when I passionately speculated Bayonetta for quite a while for DLC, when I made that last minute roster change that removed Bayonetta and she got revealed, the most I felt was feeling good that the Bayo and icon arguments would finally end. I felt great for the fanbase.

But then I got depressed after people here corrected and mocked me and how I didn't get Bayonetta right because of that roster change. Even when you do get a few characters technically correct, there are some people who are desperate with finding things/contradicitions and trying to correct me with the right terms just to get me in a negative mood.

I suffered 3 years of Smash speculation defending characters man I felt were underrated. And people here have not changed attitudes on how they approach speculation discussion. It's why I asked the question.
I had a character I liked once.

Then every time I saw them talked about people did nothing but mock and insult the character and whoever suggested them.

I decided from then on I'd become a supervillain and take over the world judge every character by criteria rather than any kind of personal preference.

So in a way, my rather callous way of tackling speculation is likely a product of my own tragic backstory experiences watching the fandom.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I have a question. Is it normal to notice a small difference in a character's design when it's a character you don't really care for? I played Mario Party 10 and something about Rosalina irked the **** out of me. Hsr black heels. Does this mean I'm a closet fangirl, have an eye for detail or something else?
It's probably because you're used to seeing the character a lot at this point.

I notice things like this all of the time in characters I don't have much interest in, but they're usually characters I see a lot.

Though I should correct you, her heels aren't black in that game. They're grey/silver, like in every other Mario game where she wears them. However, Smash changed them to a shiny cyan colour, and also made them appear to be more like soft slippers than regular heels.

D

Deleted member

It's not a Nintendo Direct leak, but we have terrible paper leaks for E3 again lol.
Ah, how I missed these
Because Gengar clearly needs to be more powerful
Guys. I think I'm stuck in a one of a kind situation. I'm stuck between what name I want for when I transition
I dunno, choose a name you like or that you think fits you, I don't know how to help exactly
Consideirng the success of Fates, I can see them having staying power.
Eh, Azura and Corrin haven't been received exactly well, Corrin is mostly considered a character that only hurts the plot being an avatar self-insert and Azura for having unexplained knowledge of EVERYTHING regarding the plot but being so mysterious, cryptic and choosing not to tell anything about it until Revelations for no reason

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
This isn't really debatable in the case of the FE characters though.

In Fates, they literally disclose that the Marth/Ike/Lucina/Robin you can summon using amiibo in the game, is not the same character from previous Fire Emblem games, but an alternate universe version from Smash. It's the canon explanation.
If that's true, it's pretty interesting, maybe the FE characters have different "Smash" versions of themselves after all.
I remember something called Smash Brethren in Awakening too.

Tail glow is firefly light in Japanese

Lanturn ain't no firefly
What about Manaphy?

It doesn't have a tail and it's definitely not a firefly XD

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I think the fact that Watch Mojo joked about the aliens' phallic heads is what made me stop taking my childhood music video serious.
They seriously said that?

Well, at least it's tame compared to Mara or the other phallic SMT demons. :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom