• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm not hating, I'm just saying.

The song is good, but the music video's CGI is kind of hard to look at nowadays. :laugh:
Ahh, fair enough. I just love me my 90's music and ****.
I actually got into arguments over that if Cloud had a chance and said that if there was a Final Fantasy rep, it would have been him.

I didn't say I was right but that he had a chance.

And True Blue Warrior True Blue Warrior agreed with me that popularity and historical sense meant more with third parties than before. And me and him was 100% right on Shovel Knignt not even being in the game.
I got everything wrong with Smash speculation sans :4feroy:who was more or less wishful thinking on my part pre-April 2015 leaks. I also predicted :4mewtwo:but that was an easy bet and I ended up being wrong initially since he didn't get in the game pre-DLC.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah definitely, and even when I passionately speculated Bayonetta for quite a while for DLC, when I made that last minute roster change that removed Bayonetta and she got revealed, the most I felt was feeling good that the Bayo and icon arguments would finally end. I felt great for the fanbase.

But then I got depressed after people here corrected and mocked me and how I didn't get Bayonetta right because of that roster change. Even when you do get a few characters technically correct, there are some people who are desperate with finding things/contradicitions and trying to correct me with the right terms just to get me in a negative mood.

I suffered 3 years of Smash speculation defending characters man I felt were underrated. And people here have not changed attitudes on how they approach speculation discussion. It's why I asked the question.
Fumi, I don't know how to say this...

But the reason people got so anal about your correct predictions was because the name gave the impression that you were a sore winner.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If that's true, it's pretty interesting, maybe the FE characters have different "Smash" versions of themselves after all.
I remember something called Smash Brethren in Awakening too.

What about Manaphy?

It doesn't have a tail and it's definitely not a firefly XD
I think he's vaguely based on a sea slug though. So they figured he was close enough to a bug.

He's like the only one though

To be honest, I don't think I have seen any notable Smash 4 argument that ended in a positive note. Do you guys ever notice that?
I saw plenty in the old character section

The only times that arguments end on a negative note is when one (or more) of the participants are hostile.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Eh, Azura and Corrin haven't been received exactly well, Corrin is mostly considered a character that only hurts the plot being an avatar self-insert and Azura for having unexplained knowledge of EVERYTHING regarding the plot but being so mysterious, cryptic and choosing not to tell anything about it until Revelations for no reason
Well, I guess that changes things.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Because Gengar clearly needs to be more powerful
Gengar ALMOST got banned from Smogon's banned list before Mega Rayquaza existed btw. WE NEED TO GIVE RICK GASTLY MORE POWER!
To be honest, I don't think I have seen any notable Smash 4 argument that ended in a positive note. Do you guys ever notice that?
Our 'cut FE character' debate, I've seen an argument involving Ridley end well once and I remember some argument I had in which I convinced the other person something can work and vise versa
It's probably because you're used to seeing the character a lot at this point.

I notice things like this all of the time in characters I don't have much interest in, but they're usually characters I see a lot.

Though I should correct you, her heels aren't black in that game. They're grey/silver, like in every other Mario game where she wears them. However, Smash changed them to a shiny cyan colour, and also made them appear to be more like soft slippers than regular heels.
The cyan colour is better tbh

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
With PSASBR, mainly the kill mechanic, I think what they were trying to go for was to have your opponent's all-star meter represent your HP meter. Execution-wise, it doesn't work when some Level 1/2/3 moves horrendously outclass others. Still, I'd love for them to make an improved sequel, though they'd need to get a new studio to do it since, IIRC, the old one's since been shut down.

I feel like people also bash the roster pretty unnecessarily. Yeah, New!Dante exists, and having Good and Evil Cole as separate characters may seem weird, but that's about the only big red flags on the roster. That and people make it seems like it had a lot more third parties than it actually did.

That, and they'd need Lara Croft/Cloud/Crash/Spyro. Oh, and The Last of Us and Shadow of the Colossus content. :p
I don't want Lara Croft there.

Because.

I want Lara Croft.

In Smash.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

But the reason people got so anal about your correct predictions was because the name gave the impression that you were a sore winner.
Does Fumi mean something?

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
If that's true, it's pretty interesting, maybe the FE characters have different "Smash" versions of themselves after all.

What about Manaphy?

Well, Fire Emblem has also established in Awakening and Fates, particularly something I read about some of the Fates DLC, that there are a LOT of alternate universes in FE, so there's probably an infinite number of copies of FE characters with an infinite number of possibilities for what kind of backstories they have.

The same concept has been stated for Pokemon as of ORAS, too, except in the case of that series the concept of Smash characters never comes up.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
If I'm being honest I'm still a little bit upset from speculation in general...

It was hard enough trying to build support for characters that were already npc's and at the end of it all I had nothing to show for it...heck I even defended characters I didn't even care for and at the end of the day I was left with a very bitter taste in my mouth...

Though it was bittersweet since I did get Cloud as DLC, so it wasn't all bad...it probably would've turned out better if he was the actual last reveal...since, to me at least, the final broadcast was very underwhelming...

The only thing I got right during DLC was the frikking Geno costume of all things...

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

That and also because Corrin and Bayonetta made a lot of people super mad.

Like me.

I was personally mad with Fumi because after Corrin's reveal he started posting in all the threads with salty fans something about Iwata and that Fates was the last game he worked on or something like that. And using the death of someone just to make people not hate a videogame character you like was not fine for me. It was like, you can hate Corrin, if you hate him you have no respect for Iwata

But I admit that predicting Corrin and Bayonetta was pretty cool for Fumi.

EDIT: Also, sorry if I posted something weird, my english is extra bad today.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Yes, I understand this, and I admit, I did change the username without thinking. But people should at least understand that I have been for a long time arguing about Bayonetta, and understanding that Bayonetta's reveal made me excited and do the username change I did without thinking. The least most people could've told me was that I was going overboard in a nice manner, but instead, people would just point out the contradictions and just post short responses of "lol".

Do you know how it feels to be happy for the Bayonetta fanbase and seeing Smash 4 rules getting utterly destroyed to a feeling of depression in just a day? It hurts.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
You know what would be the hardest part of Smash 4 speculation: Finding out which characters while stay as Assist Trophies or get lucky enough to be promoted. At least Little Mac had himself a new game while most of the AT's are either irrelevant side characters or from dead series.

Also R.I.P. Crash, **** you Activision. :crying:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The least most people could've told me was that I was going overboard in a nice manner,
We did though.

I at least did at one point.

Do you know how it feels to be happy for the Bayonetta fanbase and seeing Smash 4 rules getting utterly destroyed to a feeling of depression. That would make me quit speculation entirely.
That happened for several characters and fanbases Fumi.

I understand that its a bit of a bummer but you shouldn't give up for a reason like that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yes, I understand this, and I admit, I did change the username without thinking. But people should at least understand that I have been for a long time arguing about Bayonetta, and understanding that Bayonetta's reveal made me excited and do the username change I did without thinking. The least most people could've told me was that I was going overboard in a nice manner, but instead, people would just point out the contradictions and just post short responses of "lol".

Do you know how it feels to be happy for the Bayonetta fanbase and seeing Smash 4 rules getting utterly destroyed to a feeling of depression in just a day?
Not to be rude, but that's because of how 'in your face' the name change was. WhiteEagle's the biggest Bayonetta supporter I've seen on the site, and he didn't act that 'in your face'. It annoyed some people to the point they decided to annoy you in some way I reckon

I don't quite understand what you mean with 'rules'. And I know. I expected I could finally get hormones last Monday. I was SO excited despite my bad nerves. I then had one of the worst days of my life because of bike accidents, a ******** lorry driver trying to do a uturn despite the fact they couldn't see **** and more

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
So if i made a discord chat,where we could discuss anime,wrestling,E3, or things in general would people come?Like i know we have one already,but thats a bit private(and im glad to be apart of it) but i thought a more public one where a lot more people could be involved would be fun.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You know what would be the hardest part of Smash 4 speculation: Finding out which characters while stay as Assist Trophies or get lucky enough to be promoted. At least Little Mac had himself a new game while most of the AT's are either irrelevant side characters or from dead series.

Wait, it just got announced or are there more hints to it?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Wait, it just got announced or are there more hints to it?

More hints, but no reveal of what his design looks like.

I'm still not looking forward to getting my heart crushed into pieces next week. :cry:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
That happened for several characters and fanbases Fumi.

I understand that its a bit of a bummer but you shouldn't give up for a reason like that.
I mean the Bayonetta fanbase has been always getting **** from others because she was not iconic, too sexy, etc. She is one of the most controversial characters debated for Smash ever. It felt like a real war to me.

Considering she was the last Smash character revealed and Smash 4 speculation was finally over, it was more than just a bummer for me personally.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Thing is all I needed was some sort of closure, just needed to know that the possibility was there for one of my wanted characters to get the promotion, even if another assist trophy got the promotion instead...

I was derailed pretty hard when I saw both Midna and Dark Samus get revealed as Assist Trophies, but when the ballot was announced I felt a small glimmer of hope...but it was to no avail...

At least Midna had regained some relevance shortly after DLC had wrapped up with the remaster and the amiibo...

So if i made a discord chat,where we could discuss anime,wrestling,E3, or things in general would people come?Like i know we have one already,but thats a bit private(and im glad to be apart of it) but i thought a more public one where a lot more people could be involved would be fun.
A public version of Naoshi's? Yeah I would probably join.

I'm still not looking forward to getting my heart crushed into pieces next week. :cry:
Yo, if you're gonna scare me like that, make sure it isn't older news please. kidding but you did give me a spook there
It felt like a real war to me.
The fact it "felt like a war" is probably a sign you took this ore seriously than most people on the site do :/

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
With PSASBR, mainly the kill mechanic, I think what they were trying to go for was to have your opponent's all-star meter represent your HP meter. Execution-wise, it doesn't work when some Level 1/2/3 moves horrendously outclass others. Still, I'd love for them to make an improved sequel, though they'd need to get a new studio to do it since, IIRC, the old one's since been shut down.

I feel like people also bash the roster pretty unnecessarily. Yeah, New!Dante exists, and having Good and Evil Cole as separate characters may seem weird, but that's about the only big red flags on the roster. That and people make it seems like it had a lot more third parties than it actually did.

That, and they'd need Lara Croft/Cloud/Crash/Spyro. Oh, and The Last of Us and Shadow of the Colossus content. :p
As far as characters they could legally use, they did a good job with the roster selection. I don't even have much of a problem with Evil Cole myself. The 3rd party line up I did find a bit lackluster though, but I understand they couldn't legally get the ones people really wanted.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Looks like I know what reveal I'm going to avoid for E3. It will be waaaaaaaay too many complaisant dn dislikes when the new trailer do happen.

Thing is all I needed was some sort of closure, just needed to know that the possibility was there for one of my wanted characters to get the promotion, even if another assist trophy got the promotion instead...

I was derailed pretty hard when I saw both Midna and Dark Samus get revealed as Assist Trophies, but when the ballot was announced I felt a small glimmer of hope...but it was to no avail...

At least Midna had regained some relevance shortly after DLC had wrapped up with the remaster and the amiibo...
AT speculation will be just as hard for Smash 5 too. We won't know who will return as an AT until it's too late. In a way, being an Assist Trophy hurts and helps that character's chances in many ways.

At least that's what I heard from the Saki group before they disbanded.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

What about Manaphy?

Basically, to explain this confirmation, all of the amiibo characters in Fates essentially say they were pulled from a world where they "battle many champions". Robin and Lucina are more direct about it, with Robin's last memory being "I was launching the other fighters...or were they launching me?", and Lucina saying she had just had a victory and was being applauded by her opponents before she arrived in Corrin's castle.

They also are all notably "battle obsessed" in Fates, which isn't really a trait they had in their own games. Ike is literally Ryu and wants to "fight the strongest opponents" Corrin's world has to offer, and Robin seems to think everything is a battle tactic in some shape or form.

Other OoC traits with Robin and Lucina in particular, is that Robin is much more aloof and distant than he is in Awakening, while Lucina is much more cheery and gentle than she is in Awakening.

The REAL kicker though, is the special conversations you can have with Lucina and Robin, if you take Laslow, Selena, or Odin into the Hero Battles with them, and let them fight Lucina or Robin. Doing so triggers special conversations.

Laslow, Selena, and Odin are all time/multiverse travelling characters from Awakening that return for Fates as part of the main story (and went by the names Inigo, Serena, and Owain in Awakening), and as such, they all recognise Robin and Lucina. However, upon conversing with them, they come to the conclusion that "you seem a lot like Robin/Lucina, and look exactly like them, but I don't think you're the same one I know...". Which is a blatant confirmation, the Robin and Lucina in Fates are not the ones from Awakening, they are the trophy champions from Smash, and we can naturally assume Marth and Ike are the same too.

Another thing to note is that, while Lucina remembers Laslow, Selena, and Odin, and by their previous names too, Robin does not. If Robin was the one from Awakening, he should remember who those three are. You could argue "maybe Robin was pulled from BEFORE Awakening's events", but this doesn't work - Robin's default class in Fates is the Grandmaster class, at Level 15. In Awakening, Robin is a Tactician by default when you begin the game, but Grandmaster is what he can be promoted to if he reaches Level 10 and consumes a Master Seal.

Even more is that Fates has day one DLC for a map called "Before Awakening", which is, literally, Corrin and friends showing up before Chrom and friends, and they help each other in a fight against some otherworldy soldiers. At the end of the map, after Corrin returns to his own world, and immediately after, Chrom finds Robin laying in a field, leading into Awakening...except when I did this map, Robin was one of my units too. :p

So basically, logically, Robin should not have amnesia if he was Awakening Robin - since he is a Level 15 Grandmaster when you fight him and recruit him, he would have to remember the characters from Awakening if he was Awakening Robin, since under Awakening's terms, he would have to have progressed into that adventure quite a bit to be a Level 15 Grandmaster, and should remember at least one of those three time jumping characters. The only explanation for Robin being a Grandmaster and still not remembering anything, is that he was pulled from Smash (as he directly implies he was), and that Smash Robin is a different person, likely just a trophy brought to life, as Smash lore has implied since Melee.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Being an Isaac supporter certainly was a polarizing jorney in terms of emotions. One day, you're hopeful, and another you just feel pessimistic. At the end of it all, Isaac not only got nothing despite the fan support, but his AT was removed for some strange reason (he wasn't even a trophy!). So yeah... not that fun in the end.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
A public version of Naoshi's? Yeah I would probably join.

Yo, if you're gonna scare me like that, make sure it isn't older news please. kidding but you did give me a spook there

The fact it "felt like a war" is probably a sign you took this ore seriously than most people on the site do :/
I dunno man, a whole lot of people took their characters pretty seriously.

I wouldn't say they took it more seriously than the rest of the site, as considering the hissing reactions anyone who wasn't supporting Bayo made just because she wasn't their one true character I figure a noticeable chunk of the fandom thinks of character debate as a war.

It's just that Fumi was defending a character while most of the other people were on offense because they figured that flaming a character would somehow get revenge for precious cajun jerky kun or whoever they had in mind.

Heck, I never even liked the idea of Bayonetta, but the fandom's reaction was so extreme that within like a day or two I went from "following the leader what the heck is this and why is it in my game" to "OK, this reaction is stupid, she actually looks kind of cool, what's she like?"

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I think I just saw Black Manta.
Not sure if a stage transition though.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I didn't talk about it earlier, but I would really love if we did get a sequel to PlayStation All-Stars. Despite its flaws, I had a blast playing it. There was a good 7 months were I played that game almost everyday.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
One of my Mario Maker levels was played by a Youtuber :) It's really cool to see someone play through one of my levels. It kinda has a small amount of views at the moment, but this is the first step towards more Mario Maker plays!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Ashley and Takamaru's reveals as Assist Trophies hit me real hard when they were revealed.

But what truly hurt me the most was Ridley being Pyrosphere's personal organic piñata. The Cunning God of Death can never catch a break in Smash speculation.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Ashley and Takamaru's reveals as Assist Trophies hit me real hard when they were revealed.

But what truly hurt me the most was Ridley being Pyrosphere's personal organic piñata. The Cunning God of Death can never catch a break in Smash speculation.
Never forget.

His optimism and hope died soon as he released that being a living cameo was enough for him to meet Link in persona. If only Murasame Castle was localized a bit earlier, maybe back on the Wii's Virtual Console, things would have been different.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think I just saw Black Manta.
Not sure if a stage transition though.
My stream was incredibly laggy so I wasn't sure if
Black Manta was a stage transition or not.

Hope he's playable though, since he's probably my most wanted for that game. :p

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Tail glow is firefly light in Japanese

Lanturn ain't no firefly
To be fair, it makes sense since the tail is kind of like a fire fly's and emits light. It makes sense
Ah, how I missed these
Because Gengar clearly needs to be more powerful

I dunno, choose a name you like or that you think fits you, I don't know how to help exactly

Eh, Azura and Corrin haven't been received exactly well, Corrin is mostly considered a character that only hurts the plot being an avatar self-insert and Azura for having unexplained knowledge of EVERYTHING regarding the plot but being so mysterious, cryptic and choosing not to tell anything about it until Revelations for no reason
Don't worry we have smogen to protect us!

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
If you said something bad about a popular character in Smashboards, there would be about 4 to 5 people who would be triggered and respond to you as a result. So yeah, most people here take Smash speculation seriously.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
My stream was incredibly laggy so I wasn't sure if
Black Manta was a stage transition or not.

Hope he's playable though, since he's probably my most wanted for that game. :p
Looking at the trailer he was in the part with the Super move montage so maybe he is playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom