• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Here's the biggest issue with Melee HD as an idea. (Edit: Besides DOWNGRADING THE ROSTER)

They'd have to remake a gameplay engine which is largely used for the abuses/glitches of the system.

There is NO way this was intended.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The rare drops are better in this game than XC, it takes me 8-12 hours to find them XC vs the 20-30 minutes in XCX and this is even worst if you're trying to find a rare monster that only comes out on a certain weather type it takes forever to find them in XC.
Drop rate is incredibly subjective.
Some people are really lucky and get the good/rare stuff with ease whilst others get the usual junk.
For example in XC I found Ice Cabbages (enough for the Collectopedia and Colony 6 rebuilding) really easily first time going through Valak Mountain despite them having a low chance of appearing but Rainbow Slugs (also infamous for their drop rate AND can't be traded for)? Many a fast travel was done to get them totalling in about an hour or two just to get enough to rebuild the Colony and for the Collectopedia.

XCX was a lot worse in that department for me. Sometimes I'd have the stuff on hand already, other times I'd go driving around for about 30+ minutes just for "common" items.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'm going to dissect the problems with some Wii U games by series (but mostly focusing on the biggest projects):

:4mario: Super Mario 3D World didn't make as equally big impact compared to the Galaxy games, plus Paper Mario Color Splash was still not what fans want. Super Mario Maker lost its exclusivity.

Feel free to critique me on this.
Mario Party 10 expanded on the disliked car gimmick from 9 and Ultra Smash only had the mushroom gimmick going for it with no unique courses and the same boring gameplay as previous titles

No need to mention Mario Kart 8 since the game is great aside from some item balancing and a certain elephant in the room (battle mode not being locked in arenas).

I feel like people LOVVVVE to jump to extremes when it comes to comparing XC and XCX

Both do some things better and some worse.
XC absolutely destroys XCX in story and character development and arguably music (one is widely praised, the other is extremely divisive at best)
XCX destroys XC in it's exploration and giant mechs

But then there are a bunch of things that range between minor and major, and whether or not they are better is generally subjective.

Personally I vastly prefer XC, 2nd favorite game of all time but can see why so many people liked XCX

**** XCX's terrible party system tho

:061:

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I feel like people LOVVVVE to jump to extremes when it comes to comparing XC and XCX

Both do some things better and some worse.
XC absolutely destroys XCX in story and character development and arguably music (one is widely praised, the other is extremely divisive at best)
XCX destroys XC in it's exploration and giant mechs

But then there are a bunch of things that range between minor and major, and whether or not they are better is generally subjective.

Personally I vastly prefer XC, 2nd favorite game of all time but can see why so many people liked XCX

**** XCX's terrible party system tho

:061:
But Zebs
Xenoblade Chronicles X has such rememberable music.
Like.
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, DEEEEEEEEEEDEEEE, DIDDY AY! AY-AY-AY-AY DADDY-O!

And how could you forget such rememberable names as.
z5m20i12r04a28
z23s20a12m0a9-1r4u
And
raTEoREkiSImeAra

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Here's the biggest issue with Melee HD as an idea. (Edit: Besides DOWNGRADING THE ROSTER)

They'd have to remake a gameplay engine which is largely used for the abuses/glitches of the system.

It was unintentional, but it was spotted by the developers. They decided to leave it in though because it was harmless and people could use it if they wanted.

This is actually quite a common practice in game development. Another example is the Infinite One Wall Jumping in Mega Man X. The game was going to have more traditional/realistic wall jumping, but they unintentionally got it the way it is now...But decided to keep it because they thought it was more fun than what they initially intended.

Also I don't see why porting would be an issue. WWHD was done in six months, and apparently the tools used for that port could be used for more GC ports.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Fire and Steel could certainly work for Octillary, with remoraid pure fire.

Give remoraid a red war helmet look, and Octillirly gets the helmet, then gets a steel like coloring to it's tentacles. It's snout becomes more canon looking, and he could still have the red body.
It's perfect.

Soul.

To be honest I don't understand why game engine exploits are called tech in Smash.

And the constant overuse of "cancelling"

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
So Moon's only real downside is that it gets the inferior Lycanroc. Oh the things I'll put up with for Oranguru. :(
I thought I was the only one that preferred Moon over Sun, but I like Midday Lycanroc over the Midnight one, I don't know, its design is better cough*anddoesn'tlooklikecrash*

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
To be honest I don't understand why game engine exploits are called tech in Smash.

Because you're exploiting stuff for a technique?
"Overuse of cancelling" probably comes down to the amount of stuff that can get cancelled.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

Why would making the game HD mess around with mechanics? Unless they're building the game up from scratch, it's just giving everything a visual overhaul. Nothing else.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

"Tech" stands for "technique", which game engine exploits are.

"Cancelling" is used in a lot of tech names because so much Smash tech revolves around cancelling animations. Just being simple and literal with the names.

Chrono.

Werewolf Lycanroc looks much cooler but wolf Lycanroc has better moves and abilities.
I'll give you the abilities, but we literally only know two moves either learn exclusively. Counter and, what seems to be, a Rock-type Quick Attack.

We can't really tell which one will be better (or if either will be good at all, their stats and movepools could be garbage for all we know).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, I'd rather have a straight Melee HD via VC or a remake that makes Wavedashing balanced around the characters. The other obvious glitches(like Mewtwo's major ones) can be cut out. L-Cancelling can stay since it was designed with the game in mind and works fine. However, Wavedashing is quite hard on the hands, which is why it being gone is not a bad thing. Overuse of input commands is bad for you hands and all. Note that L-Cancelling does not count as an input command since it's literally needs as much of a press as A or B. It's bad balance-wise, but does not matter for your hands.

At this point, since Wavedashing is the biggest thing about Melee, and clearly is bad for your hands, remaking the game is not a terribly good idea. It would definitely sell at this point, sure, especially with more balance done, but the possibly of issues coming with the input commands makes it not entirely worth it.

And yes, I'd prefer all glitches gone(Wavedashing isn't a glitch, to note) too, but that's also a major reason why it's popular. Besides obviously being fast and fairly balanced when it came to game mechanics overall. Not too offensive or too defensive. Obviously the characters are not that balanced(nowhere near bad as Brawl or Smash 64...), but it's not severely bad. Smash 4 has the best balance so far, mind you.

To say the least, I'd also like them to give a bit more than the base roster. Make some of the NPC's playable. While the Hands don't work well due to their game mechanics, there's nothing wrong with Giga Bowser, Male Wireframe, and Female Wireframe.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Honestly, I'd rather have a straight Melee HD via VC or a remake that makes Wavedashing balanced around the characters. The other obvious glitches(like Mewtwo's major ones) can be cut out. L-Cancelling can stay since it was designed with the game in mind and works fine. However, Wavedashing is quite hard on the hands, which is why it being gone is not a bad thing. Overuse of input commands is bad for you hands and all. Note that L-Cancelling does not count as an input command since it's literally needs as much of a press as A or B. It's bad balance-wise, but does not matter for your hands.

At this point, since Wavedashing is the biggest thing about Melee, and clearly is bad for your hands, remaking the game is not a terribly good idea. It would definitely sell at this point, sure, especially with more balance done, but the possibly of issues coming with the input commands makes it not entirely worth it.

And yes, I'd prefer all glitches gone(Wavedashing isn't a glitch, to note) too, but that's also a major reason why it's popular. Besides obviously being fast and fairly balanced when it came to game mechanics overall. Not too offensive or too defensive. Obviously the characters are not that balanced(nowhere near bad as Brawl or Smash 64...), but it's not severely bad. Smash 4 has the best balance so far, mind you.

To say the least, I'd also like them to give a bit more than the base roster. Make some of the NPC's playable. While the Hands don't work well due to their game mechanics, there's nothing wrong with Giga Bowser, Male Wireframe, and Female Wireframe.
Wavedashing is useful, just figure out a more "ergonomical" (for lack of better word) way to execute it.

As for L-Cancelling, that's just bad game design. A mechanic that you want to do 100% of the time with no drawbacks at all? Take that out. Just half everyone's landing lag. At what point do you ever want more landing lag?

And before someone brings up something about how L-Cancel is like basketball, no it's not. Not even close.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Tentacool and Tentacruel becoming pure Electric type. Numel and Camerupt becoming Water/Grass these just make sense to me.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Melee HD just needs to be Melee with a HD resolution and textures, and online functionality. Maybe a couple of cosmetic unlockables and trophies added.

Anything else is just defeating the purpose of making it in the first place.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Melee HD just needs to not exist.
Why not?

Personally, I'd rather the next smash try to be a bit more in between Smash 4 and Melee. More movement options, faster paced, more aggressive. Reward players who take the time to master the game more. But also be accessible.

Chrono.

Why not?

Personally, I'd rather the next smash try to be a bit more in between Smash 4 and Melee. More movement options, faster paced, more aggressive. Reward players who take the time to master the game more. But also be accessible.
I feel like that's the next obvious step.

They (probably) wouldn't go back to the slower pace of Brawl.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Rather them adding adventure mode to smash 4 than for them to make melee HD. I only see a small group of people buying an HD remake of Melee.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Why not?

Because Melee was boring.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rather them adding adventure mode to smash 4 than for them to make melee HD. I only see a small group of people buying an HD remake of Melee.
A large amount of people would buy it (especially if the Switch gives us more big droughts :p).

Only a handful would play it regularly.

So basically Smash 4 again, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom