• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I just heard of a Japanese PS4 game with the LONGEST and most ridiculous title I've heard up:

Translation:
Summertime High School: A Young Man's Notes—How a New Exchange Student Like Myself Ran Into His Childhood Friend on the School Tour, Then for Some Reason Became Super-Popular with the Girls for His Daily Scoops on the School Photography Club Even Though He Only Takes Panty Shots, and What He Thinks as He Goes on Dates During His Summer of Island School Life.

SIXTY-FIVE words long. wat
Haha.
Watchmojo makes you learn things innit.

I hate it.

It beat this awesomes game as the longest name ever for a game that was spotlighted in a Guinness worlds records book once:

The Lord of the Rings The Battle for Middle Earth 2: The Rise of the Witch-King.

oh well.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
well alright, not as bad as I thought

I guess I should invest in that. I can always stop payin'n, right

Sorry, I dont normaly do subscription ish based things
Yeah you can do that. Although be sure to remove all your pokemon from the bank before the subscription expires if you don't plan to renew it or you will lose all your pokemon from the bank (You might get a temporary week or two second chance to retrieve them after the expiry date though but don't quote me on that...).
As far as I know, Bank won't delete them ever unless the NNID linked to them gets deleted.

I left my 12 boxes of Mawile in for nearly two years and they never left. I have plenty of things in there atm as well.

When your subscription expires, you can take, but not deposit and you don't get poke mile rewards.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Haha.
Watchmojo makes you learn things innit.

I hate it.

It beat this awesomes game as the longest name ever for a game:
The Lord of the Rings The Battle for Middle Earth 2: The Rise of the Witch-King.

oh well.
The only thing you can learn from WatchMojo is not to watch WatchMojo content.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
As far as I know, Bank won't delete them ever unless the NNID linked to them gets deleted.

I left my 12 boxes of Mawile in for nearly two years and they never left. I have plenty of things in there atm as well.

When your subscription expires, you can take, but not deposit and you don't get poke mile rewards.
Is that so? I was under the impression that the bank won't hold on to the Pokemon for too long after the subscription has expired and that they would get removed sometime afterwards. I might have gotten some misinformation in regards to what exactly happens if you don't renew the subscription then. But then again, It's been a while so memory might be a bit hazy on that...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think the only thing I have still in the pokebank is the special starters that it gave you for free

But, I already have all the starters anyway

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Hey, I'm getting Sun instead of Moon.

The only thing I feel like I'm missing so far is UB02 Beauty. All the other things seem more to my personal preferences in Sun to me so far. Although I do plan on playing with someone else that will have a Moon copy so if I desperately need anything I can probably ask them.
Im getting Moon because I prefer most exclusive things in Moon more than Sun. I have a friend who feels like this for Sun.

We're gonna trade everything XD.
The only thing you can learn from WatchMojo is not to watch WatchMojo content.
Well is there a better alternative? I enjoy watchmojo.

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569

Nnope they will be deleted.. there have been numerous accounts of Pokemon being removed that were in the bank.. also
Bulbapedia said:
After a pass expires, Pokémon in Pokémon Bank are preserved for a period of time, but eventually they will be lost entirely if a new pass is not purchased. It is possible to connect to Pokémon Bank and withdraw any stored Pokémon without purchasing a new pass.
Also I'm getting Moon but the only problem is that I can't get the serperior Lycanroc :c

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Now that I'm finally calm enough to sanely talk about the Nintendo Switch without being all "CURLEEH MUSTACHE!" levels of hype, here are my opinions on it;
  • The whole hybrid gimmick is BRILLIANT and, for the first time in years, the console's gimmick isn't shoved down our throats, but rather an optional one, meaning that it's all about the games now, baby! No motion controls, no dual screen, no forced usage of the touch screen. Just one person, a controller and a game he can bring literally anywhere.
  • Another brilliant thing about the hybrid thing is how it unifies handheld and console gaming, which means the teams aren't divided anymore, which means Nintendo's weather girl will probably forecast a storm of good Nintendo games.
  • While we don't have the specs, the fact that it could potentially handle a Bethesda open-world game like Skyrim basically labels it as the world's most powerful tablet. That in itself it very exciting to think about
  • CARTRIDGES! Those things can handle so MUCH data nowadays! I mean, seriously. So the thought of seeing a cartridge-based system really makes me think that the limits of how much stuff people can cram into a game might have been broken, which is pretty awesome.
  • That third-party support, man! So many huge names! So many possibilities! Nintendo's got something precious in their hands right now. Hopefully, they won't mess it up.
  • I honeslty don't like the thought of using a single Joy-Con in multiplayer, but then again, buying a Pro Controller is an easy and quick fix to that. One gets the Joy-Cons, one gets the Pro Controller. Problem solved instantly! Plus, I'm probably gonna buy one of those Pro Controllers regardless of that little Joy-Con issue.
  • The console literally advertises itself because of the Joy-Cons and it's theoritical power, which is EXACTLY the kind of thing Nintendo needs!
  • The ports are kind of a good idea for one reason; the Wii U was such a flop, but still had amazing games, so using those great games and putting them on the Switch is a lazy, but good idea overall.
  • Not the Wii brand so people can instantly realize that it's a new console. That's what the Wii U needed...but hey, better late than never, right?
tl;dr, I'm hyped for it!

Last edited:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Im getting Moon because I prefer most exclusive things in Moon more than Sun. I have a friend who feels like this for Sun.

We're gonna trade everything XD.

Well is there a better alternative? I enjoy watchmojo.
Imo, there's plenty of better alternatives, such as looking up lists on google or youtube and finding lists of better quality.
Personally, WM is like Buzzfeed for Youtubers.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Is that so? I was under the impression that the bank won't hold on to the Pokemon for too long after the subscription has expired and that they would get removed sometime afterwards. I might have gotten some misinformation in regards to what exactly happens if you don't renew the subscription then. But then again, It's been a while so memory might be a bit hazy on that...
Nnope they will be deleted.. there have been numerous accounts of Pokemon being removed that were in the bank.. also

Also I'm getting Moon but the only problem is that I can't get the serperior Lycanroc :c
Odd, as I said, I left bred mawile's in there till I got my subscription again a few months ago. I first got it a few months after XY.

And I see claims that bank deleted people's mons, but never seen proof. I don't get why'd it happen to some, and not all.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
o-o You got that game Jontron talked about? Wow, how did you get it?
I got into that game LOOOOOOOOOONG before even Jontron was a thing.

YEARS ago I bought this beauty off eBay (in an era when bootlegs weren't banned):

And I proudly own it to this very day! :3

Plus there's a fan translation of the original that gives it PROPER English and removes all the bugs and tarnishes the bootleg is plagued with.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

YEARS ago I bought this beauty off eBay (in an era where bootlegs weren't banned):

Plus there's a fan translation of the original that gives it PROPER English and removes all the bugs and tarnishes the bootleg is plagued with.
Bootlegs are banned on ebay? I just bought some bootleg figures off it

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly I really do prefer all Moon's exclusives, barring two cases. While I prefer Turtonator, I really like Drampa too, so it evens out.

So Moon's only real downside is that it gets the inferior Lycanroc. Oh the things I'll put up with for Oranguru. :(

D

Deleted member

YEARS ago I bought this beauty off eBay (in an era when bootlegs weren't banned):

I had no idea that Pokemon Diamond was a remake of a bootleg Game Boy Color game. :p

Soul.

So.
Person who did the Litten/Beltigre estimate did it for Popplio basd on E3's demo.

HP 47-68 ~ 58
ATK 22-43 ~ 33
DEF 47-68 ~ 58
SP.ATK 47-68 ~ 58
SP.DEF 47-68 ~ 58
SPEED 29-49 ~ 39
TOTAL 239-364 ~ 304

Poppmaid's "Predicted" stats:

HP 102
ATK 58
DEF 102
SP.ATK 102
SP.DEF 102
SPEED 68
TOTAL 532
So it's a decently bulky special attacker.

It will get Hyper Voice but not Pixilate

Or Scald but not Serene Grace...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oranguru is certainly an interesting pokemon if you play doubles, and if I did I'll definitely take advantage of using him

But I'm not really a fan of doubles.

If pokemon want doubles to be the official format for competitive play, they should make it more common in the games

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Now that I'm finally calm enough to sanely talk about the Nintendo Switch without being all "CURLEEH MUSTACHE!" levels of hype, here are my opinions on it;
  • The whole hybrid gimmick is BRILLIANT and, for the first time in years, the console's gimmick isn't shoved down our throats, but rather an optional one, meaning that it's all about the games now, baby! No motion controls, no dual screen, no forced usage of the touch screen. Just one person, a controller and a game he can bring literally anywhere.
  • Another brilliant thing about the hybrid thing is how it unifies handheld and console gaming, which means the teams aren't divided anymore, which means Nintendo's weather girl will probably forecast a storm of good Nintendo games.
  • While we don't have the specs, the fact that it could potentially handle a Bethesda open-world game like Skyrim basically labels it as the world's most powerful tablet. That in itself it very exciting to think about
  • CARTRIDGES! Those things can handle so MUCH data nowadays! I mean, seriously. So the thought of seeing a cartridge-based system really makes me think that the limits of how much stuff people can cram into a game might have been broken, which is pretty awesome.
  • That third-party support, man! So many huge names! So many possibilities! Nintendo's got something precious in their hands right now. Hopefully, they won't mess it up.
  • I honeslty don't like the thought of using a single Joy-Con in multiplayer, but then again, buying a Pro Controller is an easy and quick fix to that. One gets the Joy-Cons, one gets the Pro Controller. Problem solved instantly! Plus, I'm probably gonna buy one of those Pro Controllers regardless of that little Joy-Con issue.
  • The console literally advertises itself because of the Joy-Cons and it's theoritical power, which is EXACTLY the kind of thing Nintendo needs!
  • The ports are kind of a good idea for one reason; the Wii U was such a flop, but still had amazing games, so using those great games and putting them on the Switch is a lazy, but good idea overall.
  • Not the Wii brand so people can instantly realize that it's a new console. That's what the Wii U needed...but hey, better late than never, right?
tl;dr, I'm hyped for it!
I doubt it's the world's most powerful tablet. And even if it was, it'll be eclipsed by the next year by a better tablet. Besides, tablets have been running Skyrim for a while
Nvidia Shield Tablet K1 comes to mind.

The limit of how much content could be crammed into one game was broken ever since blu-rays became the standard.

Weren't people hyping the **** outta the Wii U? And look where that went. I'm sure the Switch will fair better, but I don't think it'll be this drastic, game changing thing nintendo fanatics think it is.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Very late on this, but I wouldn't say Greninja was chosen solely because they were banking on how popular it'd get. Remember, moveset potential and unique abilities are very important traits in the developers' eyes. With the decision to separate Red's mons and to pass up on Squirtle and Ivysaur, there weren't any characters who had the ability to control water. Being a waterbender became a unique and sought after niche, and combined with the ninja motif, made Greninja enough of a standout to get the nod.

Though I still think other Gen 6 mons were also considered...

I really don't think that's the main reason the Wii U failed.
True. The main reason the Wii U stumbled was how barren its library was for the first couple years.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I really don't think that's the main reason the Wii U failed.
It's definitely part of it. It didn't entirely lack so much games as it had poor advertising. Many didn't know it was an entirely different system that simply worked fine with Wii games and Wii accessories.

The lack of games is due to having poor advertising alone, as it makes it very hard for 3rd parties to trust in the system. It also was not super easy to program for, another big issue.

There's no real main reason, it was pretty much all 3 that killed the system in the long run. They entirely gave up on it by the point that a lot of its games are getting ported to other systems. We can't even get a new canon Zelda game for it of all things. Which would be the first system in history(not counting slightly upgraded systems like the GBA SP or DSi) to not have it own proper canon Zelda game. And to note, I don't count ports coming out for systems wayyyyyyyyyy later. I mean that it's announced for both systems fairly close to each other.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
It's one of the multiple reasons, casuals DID think it was merely an overpriced and optional accessory
There's also it's meh, launch library that was mainly just ports of games on other consoles.

Sure the PS4 and Xbox One had "meh" launch titles, but you're not getting Knack on the PS3
True. The main reason the Wii U stumbled was how barren its library was for the first couple years.
Who wants to play a bunch of games you can play on another console?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
When I saw the Wii U trailer, the first question I asked was if it was just a wii u accessory and I knew Nintendo were supposed to be showing off a new console

I was like, "Wait, weren't they supposed to be showing off a new consoles? Is this just a wii accessory?"

D

Deleted member

So.
Person who did the Litten/Beltigre estimate did it for Popplio basd on E3's demo.

HP 47-68 ~ 58
ATK 22-43 ~ 33
DEF 47-68 ~ 58
SP.ATK 47-68 ~ 58
SP.DEF 47-68 ~ 58
SPEED 29-49 ~ 39
TOTAL 239-364 ~ 304

Poppmaid's "Predicted" stats:

HP 102
ATK 58
DEF 102
SP.ATK 102
SP.DEF 102
SPEED 68
TOTAL 532
Those would be some extremely good stats
It throws away the two stats it doesn't really need and gets great bulk on the three defensive stats that most bulky starters only get in one or two while also having enough Sp. Atk to be the perfect example of a Mighty Glacier
And then you add the supposed signature move Aurora Veil and Popplio3 is looking really good

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Would a fire type Remoraid/Octillery make sense?
It would as it's a gun and a cannon. Steel would be more fitting, but Fire works great too
It throws away the two stats it doesn't really need and gets great bulk on the three defensive stats that most bulky starters only get in one or two while also having enough Sp. Atk to be the perfect example of a Mighty Glacier
And then you add the supposed signature move Aurora Veil and Popplio3 is looking really good
I see this thing becoming more of a supporter based on movepull tbh. And if that happens, loltaunt

Burruni

Smash Hero
It would as it's a gun and a cannon. Steel would be more fitting, but Fire works great too

I see this thing becoming more of a supporter based on movepull tbh. And if that happens, loltaunt
Leftovers
252 in both defenses and 4 in hp.
HA: Serene Grace
60% Burn STAB Scald.
60% Sp. ATk lowering Moonblast
Wish for extra longevity.
Aurora Veil.

It WILL BE OU.

Edit: In current OU, only 3 pokemon resist BOTH of its stabs. Amoonguss, M. Venusaur, and Ferrothorn.
Only weak to Poison, Grass, and Electric.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Very late on this, but I wouldn't say Greninja was chosen solely because they were banking on how popular it'd get. Remember, moveset potential and unique abilities are very important traits in the developers' eyes. With the decision to separate Red's mons and to pass up on Squirtle and Ivysaur, there weren't any characters who had the ability to control water. Being a waterbender became a unique and sought after niche, and combined with the ninja motif, made Greninja enough of a standout to get the nod.

Though I still think other Gen 6 mons were also considered...

IMO I think its because of how unappealing it generally looks to begin with.

When they started airing the commercials at launch I thought it looked cool but completely forgot about it's existence for almost a year until IGN got me exposed to Nintendo Directs.

TBH I only have one because of Zelda Smash and Bayonetta....and I'll probs end up getting BoftW on the NS a year or 2 after launch...

Soul.

Leftovers
60% Burn STAB Scald.
Aurora Veil.

It WILL BE OU.
EVs in HP is better.

Aurora Veil could have some use in Doubles though.

AV / Scald / Ice Beam (or Fairy-type move) and Protect... lol

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Things that killed the Wii U:

-Silly name that not only sounded like the anti-thesis of cool, but was misleading to consumers (they though it was a peripheral for the Wii).

-Silly marketing style from the Wii era was kept for almost every major release for TV commericals and the like (unrealistically happy suburban family play games in the living room, ultimately not telling you much about the actual game itself). Sure, you had Nintendo Directs and online trailers that told you a bit more, but the majority of consumers don't see those. Marketing overall just wasn't as aggressive as the competition.

-GamePad. I personally like it, but other than Off-TV Play, it wasn't utilised much. Which is even more jarring when you realise that it was probably pushing the price of the system up by at least $100. It wasn't THAT much cheaper than the competition, meaning it didn't have the "weaker but cheaper system for the kids and casuals" edge that the Wii had.

-Underpowered and unorthodox, making it hard to develop for, resulting in a lack of third party support.

-Lack of a launch line-up

-Even when the Wii U was going stronger than usual, a lot of the games it had were missing core features that previous installments had, making you think twice about shelling out $60 for a new installment in a franchise when you might already have a better alternative for cheaper, or they just lacked industry standard features. Mario Kart 8 lacked a proper Battle Mode and had a less compelling character roster (not counting the DLC because that's MORE money), Smash Wii U lacked compelling single-player content (even the 3DS version does much better at this, with Smash Run and a MUCH better Classic Mode - and it's cheaper and portable to boot) and has a bad online mode (better than Brawl, but still lacking compared to other systems and their games), Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash needs no explanation...
...And hell, even the games that are perfectly fine on the Wii U, generally lacked a "wow" factor. Like yeah, I love 3D World, it's a really solid and fun game. But it has no real spectacle at all to it. You're going from a killer app like Galaxy that made you say "I ****ING NEED TO BUY A WII NOW", to "oh hey it's a fun little Mario game I can play with friends sometimes, cool I might get that sometime". Very, very few Wii U games really had a wow factor to them, especially in Nintendo's established franchises. The only ones I can think of are Smash (but purely on the basis of the roster, once you get past that, it's actually quite a lacking installment - plus the 3DS version has the exact same roster anyway), and Hyrule Warriors. Maybe Splatoon as well. Everything else is just there.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Leftovers
60% Burn STAB Scald.
Aurora Veil.

It WILL BE OU.

Edit: In current OU, only 3 pokemon resist BOTH of its stabs. Amoonguss, M. Venusaur, and Ferrothorn.
Only weak to Poison, Grass, and Electric.
Wait? It's confirmed that Entermaid/Sirene will have Serene Grace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom