• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The focus aren't the fights though, it's more about the story of each Pokemon region
It's about that DEEP L O R E
lol, well although true, even in that case,It kinda undermines the story if the fights are designated to "Huehuehue I'm so strong, I practically one shot the Elite 4! It wasn't a struggle in either way!". Also they have some weird cuts, too.

Like they showed a few Elite 4, then Agatha is about to attack with Gengar then we just get a big "NOPE!", and it cuts mid animation.

Decided to do some Nintendo x Overwatch costumes Tracer :4mario:
dat plumber

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You know, I'm actually not a fan of Pokemon Generations? Like, I get it's shorts, but I don't wanna see a bunch of one shots and a lack of fighting. If you're gonna make small clips on a budget, give us what anime fans actually want, just show 3 minute fights for each major fight. :202:
This is honestly why I couldn't enjoy Pokemon Origins much. The thing I love the most is the major fights, and skipping nearly every Gym? Ugh. They're the key focus of the Gens in general(bar Gen VII respectively). You don't have to have long fights, but this really makes Generations sounds bad to me. The lore is cool and all, but the main Anime does that just fine while having amazing fights at many times. This is also the problem with the Kalos league. With few exceptions, they skipped most of the battles and only showed some final blows. Like, it's a half-assed job and ruins the fun of the fights. :/

D

Deleted member

This is honestly why I couldn't enjoy Pokemon Origins much. The thing I love the most is the major fights, and skipping nearly every Gym? Ugh. They're the key focus of the Gens in general(bar Gen VII respectively). You don't have to have long fights, but this really makes Generations sounds bad to me. The lore is cool and all, but the main Anime does that just fine while having amazing fights at many times. This is also the problem with the Kalos league. With few exceptions, they skipped most of the battles and only showed some final blows. Like, it's a half-***** job and ruins the fun of the fights. :/
Yeah, Generations is a more of a lackluster version of Origins. Its a neat idea, execution is spotty and the animation is on a severe budget.

tbh, I think they shoulda just release like 10 episodes per region if they are gonna do a budget. Woulda been so much better for them and the fans and woulda been real popular. Make the episodes like 10 mins long, too. You can rush, but don't rush like this.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
People can claim Gen 5 caused the most salt all they want, but it doesn't come close to how much salt came from Ruby and Sapphire. Sure, they're beloved now (but going by this logic, so is Gen 5) but before the Gen 1 remakes and Emerald, since it was impossible to catch a lot of the Gen 1 and 2 Pokémon, it lead to the belief that RS were a reboot of sorts. People got pissed and thus Genwunners were born.

:094:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
IMO fleshing out the world and the NPCs is far more interesting than just watching the fights. To see fights you could just play the games, or even watch the main anime. But the world gets much more fleshed out in Generations I feel, since you see it through the eyes of different characters, and not just Ash/the player character. Episode Two is probably the best example of an experience you'd never see in the games proper and that the main anime may be too averse to showing. And yet it does so much to make it feel like a living, breathing world.

Last edited:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Decided to do some Nintendo x Overwatch costumes too.

D.Va :4kirby:
This needs to be a thing.
Here's my Smash Overwatch
genji:4darkpit:
mccree:4fox:
pharah:4samus:
reaper:4ganondorf:
76:snake:
tracer:4zss:
bastion:4rob:
hanzo:4pit:
mei:popo:
junkrat:4bowser:
torbjorn:4morton:
widowmaker:4bayonetta2:
roadhog:4wario2:
reinhardt:4dedede:
dva:4wendy:
winston:4dk:
zarya:4jigglypuff:
ana:4sheik:
zenyatta:4lucario:
lucio:4diddy:
mercy:4palutena:
symmetra:4zelda:

D

Deleted member

IMO fleshing out the world and the NPCs is far more interesting than just watching the fights. To see fights you could just play the games, or even watch the main anime. But the world gets much more fleshed out in Generations I feel, since you see it through the eyes of different characters, and not just Ash/the player character. Episode Two is probably the best example of an experience you'd never see in the games proper and that the main anime may be two averse to showing. And yet it does so much to make it feel like a living, breathing world.
Except we don't get to see the characters fleshed out. There is hardly anytime too flesh them out to begin with. A lot of characters are skipped and more of just seen as an inconvenience or they get 1-3 lines and that's it. There's not a lot of depth going on for the majority of it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, Generations is a more of a lackluster version of Origins. Its a neat idea, execution is spotty and the animation is on a severe budget.

tbh, I think they shoulda just release like 10 episodes per region if they are gonna do a budget. Woulda been so much better for them and the fans and woulda been real popular. Make the episodes like 10 mins long, too. You can rush, but don't rush like this.
Origins and the X/Y anime honestly had top-notch animation. Sad that they really weakened Generations. I mean, I love story too. But you need to still appeal to those who play the games, and the fights are pretty damn important.

It would help if the regular anime didn't essentially do both things better in the long run. It has amazing lore and amazing fights. Neither are half-assed generally. Again, bar the Kalos League, which is the only real time they half-assed the battles. It's either "we don't show this battle at all" or "we fully show it" before that. And with a large tournament, it's fine to not show every battle, especially for characters that aren't facing the focused ones. Like Ash, any of his main group, all the rivals... of course, after Ash loses, you can just summarize any battles that aren't on the focused ones to show who the final winner is. This is fine, since the main character(s) lost. The biggest stuff is over.

D

Deleted member

Origins and the X/Y anime honestly had top-notch animation. Sad that they really weakened Generations. I mean, I love story too. But you need to still appeal to those who play the games, and the fights are pretty damn important.

It would help if the regular anime didn't essentially do both things better in the long run. It has amazing lore and amazing fights. Neither are half-***** generally. Again, bar the Kalos League, which is the only real time they half-***** the battles. It's either "we don't show this battle at all" or "we fully show it" before that. And with a large tournament, it's fine to not show every battle, especially for characters that aren't facing the focused ones. Like Ash, any of his main group, all the rivals... of course, after Ash loses, you can just summarize any battles that aren't on the focused ones to show who the final winner is. This is fine, since the main character(s) lost. The biggest stuff is over.
Yeah, the actual anime is far, far, better despite the fact they reboot it and it's a marketing tool. I wish they treated it more like the main show, not story-wise, but the effort put into it. Agreed.

Chrono.

People can claim Gen 5 caused the most salt all they want, but it doesn't come close to how much salt came from Ruby and Sapphire. Sure, they're beloved now (but going by this logic, so is Gen 5) but before the Gen 1 remakes and Emerald, since it was impossible to catch a lot of the Gen 1 and 2 Pokémon, it lead to the belief that RS were a reboot of sorts. People got pissed and thus Genwunners were born.

:094:
Yeah, on top of weird mechanics that never really caught on (did anyone seriously care about berry farming? the revamped fishing? the mach and acro bikes and the annoying puzzles involving both? )

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Haveto agree Generations seems rather low budget, considering the voice acting being hit-or-miss along with the animation. You'd think one of the most successful franchises could afford better, though they managed to recycle the same game for 20 years. Still enjoyable, and the 2nd and 8th episodes are outstanding.

Saw people accusing Kim Kardashian for trying to commit insurance fraud. Please, the bimbo got confused she had a fat belly during pregnancy and tried to diet it off

D

Deleted member

lol, well although true, even in that case,It kinda undermines the story if the fights are designated to "Huehuehue I'm so strong, I practically one shot the Elite 4! It wasn't a struggle in either way!". Also they have some weird cuts, too.

Like they showed a few Elite 4, then Agatha is about to attack with Gengar then we just get a big "NOPE!", and it cuts mid animation.

dat plumber
I agree that there could have some fights(like the Blue epiosde which was the whole point of it) but they don't have the time for that
I'm just glad we're finally getting some of the game's best moments(with some original ones thanks to Looker) animated
Also, the oneshotting is just being true to the games :p

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Saw something on TVTropesthat made me think., you know all those games that blame the player for horrible things happening to them?

Of all games, the one to place the blame on the people who put the characters into those scenario was of all things The Simpsons game.

Blame the game, not the player.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Except we don't get to see the characters fleshed out. There is hardly anytime too flesh them out to begin with. A lot of characters are skipped and more of just seen as an inconvenience or they get 1-3 lines and that's it. There's not a lot of depth going on for the majority of it.
Yeah they're not completely fleshed out, but in some ways it does add more to them. You actually get to see Looker with the Kanto police conducting a police raid. You get to see the Elite Four converse with each other for a bit before the next challenger arrives. You get to see, from Eugine's own perspective, why the creation of the Legendary Beasts means so much to him. You see the Rocket Hideout raid from Lance's perspective, showing in more subtle ways his strength as a trainer through how he commands his Dragonite, while also seeing how Rocket Grunts act in general.

So much of that isn't shown in the games due to it not being from the player's perspective, and not shown in the anime either because it doesn't involve Ash/is too dark or not sanitized enough/the characters involved don't exist there, and that's what makes Generations interesting. I can get battles elsewhere. But where else can I get a Pokémon police raid or an animated version of Giovanni's betrayal of Silver?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I agree that there could have some fights(like the Blue epiosde which was the whole point of it) but they don't have the time for that
I'm just glad we're finally getting some of the game's best moments(with some original ones thanks to Looker) animated
Also, the oneshotting is just being true to the games :p
nice icon bro

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That whole Generations episode was confusing to me. One minute Archie is all like "Hell yeah lets awaken Kyogre!" and then the next moment he's all like "No! We're all going to die!".

That and him tossing the orb when it was supposed to control Kyogre. I'm not convinced that Archie has an IQ any higher than 10.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That whole Generations episode was confusing to me. One minute Archie is all like "Hell yeah lets awaken Kyogre!" and then the next moment he's all like "No! We're all going to die!".

That and him tossing the orb when it was supposed to control Kyogre. I'm not convinced that Archie has an IQ any higher than 10.
I thinks that was supposed to be Generations' representation of needing Kyogre to hold the Blue Orb to become Primal.

Still hilarious, but possibly justified.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

How is it confusing when you realize your idea ****ed up tremendously? It's like "I like onions and yogurt, so I'll mix them!" and then actually tasting it

Chrono.

I mean this is fairly obvious why.

He thought Kyogre would be easy to control and when he realized it wouldn't be like that he realized what a huge mistake he made.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Star Wars Rebels: The Nostalgia Episode

Battle Droids! Kilani is back! A proper end to the Clone Wars! Battle Droid shenanigans!
Loved this episode and hope Kilani and his droids show up a bit later to help the Rebels once he has more resources.
Also shows how Rex has aged a lot, he takes two silly hits (not even a scratch though) and is on edge.

That whole Generations episode was confusing to me. One minute Archie is all like "Hell yeah lets awaken Kyogre!" and then the next moment he's all like "No! We're all going to die!"
Not really confusing. Things turned out very differently to how he imagined they would once he awakened Kyogre.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

ever heard of the meme "At that moment -blank- realized they ****ed up"?

The moment Kyoge went "**** you" is when he knew he ****ed up

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So, in the generations universe Archie and Maxie died?

Because I'm fairly certain they didn't in game

D

Deleted member

Yeah they're not completely fleshed out, but in some ways it does add more to them. You actually get to see Looker with the Kanto police conducting a police raid. You get to see the Elite Four converse with each other for a bit before the next challenger arrives. You get to see, from Eugine's own perspective, why the creation of the Legendary Beasts means so much to him. You see the Rocket Hideout raid from Lance's perspective, showing in more subtle ways his strength as a trainer through how he commands his Dragonite, while also seeing how Rocket Grunts act in general.

So much of that isn't shown in the games due to it not being from the player's perspective, and not shown in the anime either because it doesn't involve Ash/is too dark or not sanitized enough/the characters involved don't exist there, and that's what makes Generations interesting. I can get battles elsewhere. But where else can I get a Pokémon police raid or an animated version of Giovanni's betrayal of Silver?
IMO, those few seconds of their dialogue is hardly worth skipping the fights in which screen time is very scarce in these 3-6 minute videos.

Agatha: "I understand your impatience... It has been quite a while since any trainer has collected eight gym badges."
Lorelei: "I'm sorry, but you won't be seeing him. I'll freeze him right into place."
Bruno: -cracks knuckles- -grunts-
Lance: "Well then. Let us prepare! And I look especially look forward to seeing how good he really is."

Like, all they really go on about is how they're gonna fight him, they build up the fight with that intro and we just get practically one shots. I don't feel it is worth building up any fight if there's no actual depth to them. Yeah, the game has the fights, but we don't get to see how they go down storywise since that's the gameplay aspect. Pokemon battles are a huge part of the world, they deserve spotlight, and the characters themselves need more time to flesh themselves outside the game.

It is why I don't see this as "This is what the anime should've been..." cause, it really is kinda low tier for the most part IMO. Having a anime based on the story of the games is a great idea, but not in a low budget short that hypes several aspects but we don't get to see the real hardships here. The character progression, their struggle, the quirks of each character. There may be some pieces here and there which I think are neat, but nothing enough for me to where it is enough to satisfy me personally.

That's just my take on it, not saying other people can't it enjoy it, however.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah I guess that's understandable but it still makes Archie look like an incompetent dummy.
So, in the generations universe Archie and Maxie died?

Because I'm fairly certain they didn't in game
I don't even think Generations has a canon TBH.

Chrono.

Yeah I guess that's understandable but it still makes Archie look like an incompetent dummy.
Well he kinda is.

He was always the more impulsive one while Maxie was cold and calculating (though I guess that makes him even dumber than Archie for awakening Groudon).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
BTW

Even though I criticized Shelly's overuse of eyeshadow
Generations still had Aqua as the superior team, just like it should be
Well he kinda is.

He was always the more impulsive one while Maxie was cold and calculating (though I guess that makes him even dumber than Archie for awakening Groudon).
Don't forget how Archie is COMPLETELY unaware of the water cycle. I don't care about Kyogre being stupid with science, the water cycle still exists dammit

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well he kinda is.

So the water guy is hot-headed and the fire guy is cool as water. How ironic.

Chrono.

I moaned with pleasure while watching this.

I think Sonic's animations are the best part, they look like they were done by a real professional.
Anyway, yeah, I'm really interested in trying out the demo.

My concerns are how it controls are the fact that looks a little too open ended (though not to GHP Act 2 levels of overkill).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom