• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Apparently, the Switch won't succeed the 3DS.

Looks like the shared library dream may just be that-- a dream. True handhelds may still co-exist.
But wouldn't it be pointless to have a 3DS successor when you can already play this thing on the go?
Didn't they also say this about the Wii and GameCube? Or DS and GBA?
It wouldn't be in their best interest if they outright revealed it's a successor to the 3DS when it still sells.
Heck, they would probably lose Switch sales too if they actually did make a successor of the 3DS because people who would buy the Switch for its handheld mode would instead buy the other thing.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I don't see how they can make another handheld console when the Switch already fills that role.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Oh--Twitter is back up for normal. Never mind, can't test TOR's awesomeness. Someone give me a site that's down thanks to DDoS (are they over yet?) so I can test it.
Noscripts tho, have to use Twitter mobile because SCREW JAVA

I'm really enjoying the feeling of security / freedom that TOR / Linux offers. Not that I hated how things were when I had Windows 7, it was fine, but this feels much better.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
They also said that NX isn't a Wii U successor before so I'm not gonna think too much about this right now. Since they said that they will release the 3DS successor "much later" I highly doubt they are gonna not care about the handheld aspect of the Switch. I mean the majority of the teaser was showing how awesomely portable it was for example.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Apparently, the Switch won't succeed the 3DS.

Looks like the shared library dream may just be that-- a dream. True handhelds may still co-exist.
But wouldn't it be pointless to have a 3DS successor when you can already play this thing on the go?
Huh, I wonder why NeoGAF's not jumping on this. They've leapt onto every other bout of potential bad news for the Switch so far.

. . .See it mentioned in a spot on one thread. It seems between that and the Reddit they got it from the response is split between taking it seriously, assuming it's another form factor, and just dismissing it outright as "third pillar" talk ala GBA-to-DS.

Someone on the Reddit questioned why the source Twitter was one with only 60 followers and another person on Reddit asked if there was another source to help back it up.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
They also said that NX isn't a Wii U successor before so I'm not gonna think too much about this right now. Since they said that they will release the 3DS successor "much later" I highly doubt they are gonna not care about the handheld aspect of the Switch. I mean the majority of the teaser was showing how awesomely portable it was for example.
I hope they focus on Switch's hardware modularity in future marketing, soon. I'm interested to see if they have a way to deal with the problem of casuals who don't want to think about those sorts of things.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Dickingg around on Tumblr because im bored

found this and it made me smile so why not share it

because no one here plays skullgirls that's why

:061:
I don't play Skullgirls, but I recognized them instantly. It made me smile.
I'm a... fan. Of the game. I watch it on Twitch sometimes. *Coughs and looks away.*

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Pokémon that could cause great damage, but wouldn't due to their nature: Mewtwo, Lugia, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina (it's isolationist and doesn't care about the human world unless provoked), Regigigas, Darkrai (though it could unintentionally do it), Arceus, Reshiram, Zekrom, Landorus, Victini (?), Zygarde.

Pokémon that could cause great damage and are very capable of doing it at their own will: Groudon, Kyogre, Deoxys (depends on the reasoning behind the meteorite), Thundurus, Tornadus, Kyurem (arguable due to the whole Lacunosa deal), Yveltal (whether unintentionally or not).

Really, the Pokémon world is lucky a lot of its legendaries are benevolent as otherwise it'd probably be a smoking ball of rock right now.

Well that would explain why something like Lugia or Dialga could go from living comfortably in their own environment/dimension to a Pokeball without much resentment towards the trainer.

I bet it has a hot tub.
Is this our Pokemon discussion for today? Yes? Cool, this is a good one I want in on.
Remember the first movie, how strong mewtwo's storm was? Iiirc, planet threatening, or at least (by low scaling) could destroy thesurface of the planet. But I haven't seen that movie in a while....
Lugia's dex literally says it creates giant storms by flapping it's wings.
Rayquaza? It blew up a potentially planet killing meteor. That's all the info necessary on how strong it is, plus the fact that that kyogre and groudon are it's *******.
Jirachi literally makes wishes come true.
Space and Time control, is, well, there's so many things you can do. Dialga in Mystery Dungeon iirc went near Primal and wiped your character from existence.
Giratina controls anti-matter, and was banished TO A WHOLE OTHER DIMENSION FOR IT'S VIOLENCE.
Regigas can tow continents.
Darkrai I wouldn't necessarily say physical destruction, but still scary (heh).
That's all from me (for now). Good topic.

So, I watched The Cavern.

And I thought the end of Courtney's vision was disturbing. Still, it's making me see Shelly in a new way.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
My reaction is this:

If this is what the contents of a regular Pokeball are like, then what's inside of a Luxury Ball?
It actually switches the conventions up and turns them into information / energy and then stimulates that information directly to affect the Pokemon's state of satisfaction.
It's probably just a more spacious room with lots more stuff to do.
Also why can't we switch the balls Pokemon are in?! I want to re-use my master ball and transfer all my 'mons to luxury.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well guys, I'm off to yet another Smash related event! Wish me luck and hope I don't get destroyed by any doctors or tippers today! :p

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

"...the equivalent of a high-end suite room in a fancy hotel.”?

I'd post that Robot Chicken clip but I'm not sure if mods are fine with it.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
2 things I learned from Monster bug wars

1) Crabs can't beat ANYTHING. Not spiders, not leeches, not ants

2) People that scold others in the comment section for called the crab a ****** can reply when the person doesn't reciprocate by calling them a "***"

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
It actually switches the conventions up and turns them into information / energy and then stimulates that information directly to affect the Pokemon's state of satisfaction.
It's probably just a more spacious room with lots more stuff to do.
Also why can't we switch the balls Pokemon are in?! I want to re-use my master ball and transfer all my 'mons to luxury.
Purely speculating, but. . .

I'd imagine each ball registers as "used up" once a capture succeeds or fails once and either breaks or registers to the trainer in the event of a failure/capture so that any idiot with one Pokeball can't instantly capture everything Pokemon in an area, hence why you have to use additional ones in the event of a failure. They're probably either biodegradable due to being capable of being carved from something grown on trees. . .somehow. . .or use the time-space altering tech that creates a custom environment to create a small black hole that wipes the Pokeball from existence and then instantly fizzles out due to a black hole of that size being incapable of being supported without additional intervention.

Of course, I would assume you COULD swap Pokeballs since IIRC Ash had to replace the ball for his Snorlax at one point, but to think of a possibility there. . .perhaps you have a gap of time between the deactivation of one and the activation of another so that it doesn't register as "stealing" and block the switch attempt, and in that time the Pokemon could attempt to bolt and run away? Perhaps a swap is only really viable for a Pokemon that either has high enough friendship with you to sit through the procedure or simply can't be bothered to move during it like Snorlax.

On a side note, I wonder what happens if and when people try to jailbreak Pokeballs. . .carved balls leave a whole other list of questions and the console games must answer some element since apparently in those you can steal Pokemon or something. . .but I wonder what other things could happen besides overriding the Pokemon Trainer Registration System?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Purely speculating, but. . .

I'd imagine each ball registers as "used up" once a capture succeeds or fails once and either breaks or registers to the trainer in the event of a failure/capture so that any idiot with one Pokeball can't instantly capture everything Pokemon in an area, hence why you have to use additional ones in the event of a failure. They're probably either biodegradable due to being capable of being carved from something grown on trees. . .somehow. . .or use the time-space altering tech that creates a custom environment to create a small black hole that wipes the Pokeball from existence and then instantly fizzles out due to a black hole of that size being incapable of being supported without additional intervention.

Of course, I would assume you COULD swap Pokeballs since IIRC Ash had to replace the ball for his Snorlax at one point, but to think of a possibility there. . .perhaps you have a gap of time between the deactivation of one and the activation of another so that it doesn't register as "stealing" and block the switch attempt, and in that time the Pokemon could attempt to bolt and run away? Perhaps a swap is only really viable for a Pokemon that either has high enough friendship with you to sit through the procedure or simply can't be bothered to move during it like Snorlax.

On a side note, I wonder what happens if and when people try to jailbreak Pokeballs. . .carved balls leave a whole other list of questions and the console games must answer some element since apparently in those you can steal Pokemon or something. . .but I wonder what other things could happen besides overriding the Pokemon Trainer Registration System?
Also, what happens when you let a pokemon go free

Can the pokemon not be caught by anyone else? Because all ash does it toss them out of the pokemon

Are they still "registered" to that pokeball?

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

Can the pokemon not be caught by anyone else? Because all ash does it toss them out of the pokemon

Well, you can catch N's Pokemon, so uh. . .I guess whether or not that answers the question depends on whether his having Pokeballs was simply a graphical limitation of the DS or not since he gathered random friends from each area he was in and let them be on their way right afterwards anyway.

I'm guessing you'd deregister them at that point, though. Guessing.

Maybe Ash is an idiot who doesn't know how to do it properly and the Box handlers have to do it in order for it to work, though.

. . .Actually, scratch that, you do catch and release in the Sun/Moon demo. There's definitely a way to do it on site.

Does not exclude the possibility of Ash being an idiot, though.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
For Sun & Moon, all I asked to happen was a dolphin Pokémon and a Dark type Gym Leader.

I'm pretty mad neither happened :glare:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If I were some kind of pokemon evironmentalist that didn't like people catching pokemon, I would catch them myself and free them from the ball but not release them. Just never put them back

Then no one could capture them, and they'd be free

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Well guys, I'm off to yet another Smash related event! Wish me luck and hope I don't get destroyed by any doctors or tippers today! :p
Good luck!

There's an actual button on the ball to physically release them. Ash never used it outside of butterfree I believe.

He wanted no to catch pidgeot so it could protect the woods, Lapras was never caught, same for haunter, primeape was never released, but he gave the guy its pokeball, and...
Goodra isn't released and able to be called upon at any time.

Greninja wasn't released so it can stay Zygarde's Bodyguard.

Jessie released Dustox though, and James and her both released Arbok and Weezing. I think they even broke their pokeballs. Paul smash Chimchar's if I remember after releasing it as well.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
For Sun & Moon, all I asked to happen was a dolphin Pokémon and a Dark type Gym Leader.

I'm pretty mad neither happened :glare:
Well Lanturn substituted for one in one episode of the anime and that's in the Dex, and I suppose you could always hope for a Dark type trial captain.

INB4 they already datamined the trial captains and there isn't one

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
If I were some kind of pokemon evironmentalist that didn't like people catching pokemon, I would catch them myself and free them from the ball but not release them. Just never put them back

Then no one could capture them, and they'd be free
*EDIT* First part was clearly wrong due to stuff I missed reading.

. . .I don't know. But there has to be a reason why the members of Plasma that actually cared didn't just do that.

It's possible being inside a Pokeball owned by someone psychologically alters a Pokemon slightly to be more compatible with their trainer as well due to how Pokemon start to mimic the moralities of their trainers and follow their actions without question when a trainer is of a "qualified" gym badge count, so that could present other problems environmentalists don't want to deal with.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Do these gamergate morons just...Not know what words mean?
To be fair, he/she/preferred pronoun could be just a plain old weeaboo.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Good luck!

There's an actual button on the ball to physically release them. Ash never used it outside of butterfree I believe.

He wanted no to catch pidgeot so it could protect the woods, Lapras was never caught, same for haunter, primeape was never released, but he gave the guy its pokeball, and...
Goodra isn't released and able to be called upon at any time.

Greninja wasn't released so it can stay Zygarde's Bodyguard.

Jessie released Dustox though, and James and her both released Arbok and Weezing. I think they even broke their pokeballs. Paul smash Chimchar's if I remember after releasing it as well.
Ah. That changes a few things. In that case they're definitely biodegradable if they have a disposal process, with breaking it speeding up the process and potentially avoiding some other hypothetical complications that could come up. Like someone pretending a used Pokeball was valid and giving it to someone only for it to not work, maybe.

Come to think of it I pictured disposing of a Pokeball post-release as breaking it before the WMG I started right now so it fits pretty well. Not sure if my mind subconsciously remembered that or if it just fits in general.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You know, it's fun to think about the flipside of the Switch's concept.

The concept is that it's a home console that you can take anywhere. Play console games on the go.

But there are certain traditionally handheld games that could be really fun on a TV. Stuff like Professor Layton and Ace Attorney. Typically, one would play those games in isolation on a bus or even just in their bed. But if they made these games for Switch, you could play them on the TV with family or friends and enjoy it together, and they can help you solve some of the puzzles/mysteries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom