• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If it weren't for Falcon's immense popularity in Smash Bros., he'd have been at a higher risk for being cut considering the current state of the F-Zero series.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I wouldn't add the secret characters bar Luigi and Falcon.

Jiggs was almost cut from Brawl and Ness had been on the chopping block for Melee.
Ness was because of Lucas was going to be in but vaporware Mother 3 denied it.

Thing is both characters should have been cut but wasn't and after this point, there's no reason to cut them now.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
In some cases, I have doubts the original 12 from 64 are forever guaranteed "shoe-ins".

If you look around, Smash is the ONLY major fighting series (that I'm aware of) that managed to keep every character from the first game into every single installment (5 games right now). So we are VERY lucky compared to other fighting series.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
You know? While we're all working up about the Shovel Knight rumor and other supposed rumors, watch as the Professor Layton rumor becomes true in an ironic twist of events while the other two are false lol.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Of the original 12, Jigglypuff has been at risk multiple times for being cut.

If one day, one of the original 12 is cut, it's going to be Jigglypuff.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I love how with Little Mac and Lucina, it's so easy to tell where basically all the alts came from.

Minor Circuit/Original, Major Circuit, World Circuit, Champion Title Holder, NES Glitch, Wii Multiplayer, Super Punch-Out!!, Hoodie, and the Wireframe versions of each.

Lucina, Nowi, Cherche, Cordelia, Tiki, Lissa, Tharja, Sumia.

And obviously Bowser Jr. and half of Olimar's are also extremely obvious. :p

Soul.

So, shoo-in is pretty much "guaranteed to be in".

It would be sad to see Jigglypuff getting cut, but then again it's "not deserving" to be in Smash.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
hi i was tagged what's wrong
You were tagged in my post.
So the people who "supposedly know so far is...
@RogersBase
Stealth__
Zef Zef
@TrackerTD
2 Other Mystery People in which I will not name.

What's next? Is @Tama going to claim he knows something!?!
I was talking about how the number of people knowing who the next character is, is mostly growing. Mainly through friend of a friend connections I assume from all of it pointing back to @RogersBase.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I still remember a "leak" similar to that Shovel Knight video, but with Chrom, everybody said "lol, that doesn't sound like Xander, it sounds terrible"... and it was Xander's voice.
He said Chrom's name in another video and the leaker just used the audio, lol.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Ness was because of Lucas was going to be in but vaporware Mother 3 denied it.

Thing is both characters should have been cut but wasn't and after this point, there's no reason to cut them now.
There's "no reason" to cut any character beyond technical and licensing issues, but time constraints and character priority are still a thing, and Ness having been slated for replacement while Jigglypuff been on the brink of being cut multiple times goes to show that the "original 12" don't have infinite priority just for being in the first installment like many people act like they do.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Jigglypuff though.

Someone really needs to make that gif of Whoop Goldberg from Ghost that's all ''Molly, you in danger girl." say ''Jigglypuff, you in danger girl."

Because I feel if any of the 8 originals ever got cut, she's the one who it's going to happen to and it almost already has happened to her.
It's why I said 8, not 12 :p. Even then, Luigi and maybe Captain Falcon would be safe. Ness is in a weird state, though I think his fan support and also notoriety as a cult classic game could leave him be. Jigglypuff really is the weird choice. If it wasn't for her easy to make character, she would've been cut sooner. I do think though, that because of her popularity as a fighter, that if she were to get cut she would be brought back by fan support.

There's still characters I really hope not to see cut. Actually, looking at the characters that have been cut, it's mostly been easy to understand choices. Brawl cut the melee clones and also Mewtwo (Who was intended to come back). Smash 4 cut the characters with different reasons. Ice Climbers was for technical limitations. Snake is a mystery, though legal troubles and him being a 3rd party eases the pain of cutting him. Lucas and Wolf came from franchises where the state of the series was grim. And then there's Squirtle and Ivisaur, who were part of a gimmick with Charizard that had to be scrapped. Yet, looking at this roster...I don't know who could be cut.

Lucina seems to be a big figure so far with Fire Emblem, so her coming back as a semi clone could be a possibility. Dr. Mario and Dark Pit could be cut, Dr. Mario for development time, and Dark Pit for the future state of Kid Icarus. Wii Fit Trainer is a possibility due to the state of the Wii Fit series, though I think of the impact her franchise had could keep her staying. Little Mac as well if his series isn't looking too great (please no). Other than that...no one stands out as an obvious cut. If a focus was put towards bringing back fighters, then maybe, but who knows at this point.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
In some cases, I have doubts the original 12 from 64 are forever guaranteed "shoe-ins".

If you look around, Smash is the ONLY major fighting series (that I'm aware of) that managed to keep every character from the first game into every single installment (5 games right now). So we are VERY lucky compared to other fighting series.
Street Fighter, tho

Since, you know, there were only two playable characters in the first one. >~>

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
If Inklings are too new, so is Super Mario Maker... Oh wait.
Let us not forget Yoshi's Woolly World or Roy for that matter, the former releasing in NA nearly a year after it's Smash stage. Heck, even Greninja.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Any character from single repped franchises probably won't get axed unless it's an Ice Climber situation.

Future is never really the reason, because Captain Falcon would have gotten axed after Melee, Mother would have never gotten any extra reps and let's be honest here, none of the retro franchises are in trouble either.

Plus Wii Fit is a multi million dollar franchise moreso than any of the franchise's there, if sales were a factor, the franchise will never lose a rep.

The only franchise I can see being cut off is maybe the third parties or the retro series.

:4littlemac::4wiifit::4shulk::4villager: aren't gonna get cut and two of them will probably end up with new reps

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I will say this, though. When there comes a point in Smash where there's a roster reboot of sorts (which, let's face it, will eventually happen. You can't just keep adding fighters forever without heavy subtraction, otherwise the roster would look like Too Many Cooks.), Jigglypuff would definitely be the first of the Original 12 to go. But honestly? I don't think any of the others would, not even Ness. Hell, I'd say they'd probably cut Falcon at this rate before Ness. They just seem to really respect and almost cherish Earthbound over at Nintendo, with the really surprisingly nice advertising the VC games got, and all. They seem incredibly aware of the Earthbound fanbase at this point.

So yeah, even in the case of a full-on gigantic cut-fest, I have a hard time picturing anyone but Jigglypuff from the Original 12 getting cut.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Street Fighter, tho

Since, you know, there were only two playable characters in the first one. >~>
There were characters in Street Fighter that never returned.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
My reason?
A certain All-Star just barely missing the cut twice. :4mewtwo:
A certain All-Star not being in Smash 4 despite being a shoo-in.:wolf:
King K. Rool missing the cut twice despite being one of the most wanted characters.

Among other things.
Wolf isn't shoo-in. Neither is King K. Rool.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I will say this, though. When there comes a point in Smash where there's a roster reboot of sorts (which, let's face it, will eventually happen. You can't just keep adding fighters forever without heavy subtraction, otherwise the roster would look like Too Many Cooks.), Jigglypuff would definitely be the first of the Original 12 to go. But honestly? I don't think any of the others would, not even Ness. Hell, I'd say they'd probably cut Falcon at this rate before Ness. They just seem to really respect and almost cherish Earthbound over at Nintendo, with the really surprisingly nice advertising the VC games got, and all. They seem incredibly aware of the Earthbound fanbase at this point.

So yeah, even in the case of a full-on gigantic cut-fest, I have a hard time picturing anyone but Jigglypuff from the Original 12 getting cut.
I feel like Falcon might stick around just for the sake of being a Miyamoto franchise. Plus he's sort of a mascot for Smash Bros at this point (remember NWC announcing the next game had the Falcon Punch soundclip)

I believe a roster reboot is happening and almost 1/4 of the recent roster might get the axe. Plus I believe one of the retro characters will be gone.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I was waiting for you to say the red alt came from "Anna" so I could slap you. :p
Psssh, please. :p Cordelia's one of my favorite characters in Awakening. I'd slap myself if I'd have said Anna. :laugh:

I Little Mac as well if his series isn't looking too great (please no). Other than that...no one stands out as an obvious cut. If a focus was put towards bringing back fighters, then maybe, but who knows at this point.
Even in a cut-happy scenario I have no doubt in my mind Little Mac would stay. Punch-Out!!'s cultural impact and recognition alone is more than a LOT of other series that already have playable characters.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
hi i was tagged what's wrong
Well
Talked to my guy again

Told him about some of the situation that came up, with all the different people saying there's an announcement this month.

He says he wouldn't put it past Nintendo of Japan to delay an announcement to try and kill a rumor, or to shut up a leaker in the company.
You guys might end up getting the character's announcement delayed.

Just a heads up.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

Wait a minute, didn't you once write something explaining why you didn't understand why some want Jigglypuff gone?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Oh, we may get the character announcement delayed, huh? Shame it's not real

For real though, neither Nintendo has reacted to Smash rumors at all before, why now?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wait a minute, didn't you once write something explaining why you didn't understand why some want Jigglypuff gone?
That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

Context. Context is important.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Psssh, please. :p Cordelia's one of my favorite characters in Awakening. I'd slap myself if I'd have said Anna. :laugh:

Even in a cut-happy scenario I have no doubt in my mind Little Mac would stay. Punch-Out!!'s cultural impact and recognition alone is more than a LOT of other series that already have playable characters.
I honestly think that, and it's why I have extreme doubts on him being cut. It's just hard seeing any characters from this game being cut. Lucas, a Kid Icarus character with Dark Pit, and MAYBE a Fire Emblem character like Roy are the only ones that come to mind. These are the ones that seem to have an unknown future. If an announcement of a Mother 3 re-release happened (Or heck, a Mother 3 HD remake), then I would say Lucas has a good chance.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
This is just a wild theory, but what if they added in the third spot so they could add in another pre-ballot character? It does make sense if Sakurai wanted to include a character not in the ballot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom