• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Honestly, considering the awkward timing or Mario Maker, it wouldn't surprise me if those two were actually pre ballot DLC.

It could make sense considering that they wouldn't be sure just what they wanted with the ballot and I assume the number of characters would be included in that.
I actually do think that if there's any characters in this update, they're likely to be pre-ballot unless stated otherwise (or if Shovel Knight ends up being one of them, since I'm pretty sure Tama said he's a ballot pick). Definitely pre-ballot if Wolf ends up being in it.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
To be honest, I think we're getting more than the stage only. Another stage possibly, some Mii costumes, and hopefully a character. No update has seriously been small outside of of the respective balance patches. And sometimes those had actual things like characters/etc.
I think it'll be sizable considering how much time they gave for the announcement. Last update was announcement, then release.

The Lucas/ Ness Brawl website quote is a translation choice, it's not as definitive in Japanese. I had an article about it for SG but it got delayed and I'm not sure if it'll be worked on.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I actually do think that if there's any characters in this update, they're likely to be pre-ballot unless stated otherwise (or if Shovel Knight ends up being one of them, since I'm pretty sure Tama said he's a ballot pick). Definitely pre-ballot if Wolf ends up being in it.
Indeed. If we get anyone. Expect two and only two.

Honestly, I wouldn't even have this feeling if the update wasn't planned literally days before the ballot ends. It reeks of "final preparations."

Then again I suppose we could only get Mario Maker but that just seems silly especially with the whole "5" thing.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
So, if we do get a character, how do you think they'll handle the announcement? I doubt we'll get a Direct by the end of the month, so they'd probably just do it on Twitter like before.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Lanky Mario for Smash bundled with the stage. :troll:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
We'll just get a bunch of Mii costumes of characters we want playable on the 30th. Can't wait for Wolf Gunner.
Given that one of the official reasons for Dr. Mario being made his own character in SSB4 instead of a Mario costume was that it would upset people who played as him in Melee.

I don't think any cut veterans will be getting the Mii Fighter treatment because of that. It's either playable, just a trophy, or missing entirely as far as vets go.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Given that one of the official reasons for Dr. Mario being made his own character in SSB4 instead of a Mario costume was that it would upset people who played as him in Melee.

I don't think any cut veterans will be getting the Mii Fighter treatment because of that. It's either playable, just a trophy, or missing entirely as far as vets go.
I agree. :seuss:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Robin's announcement was hype. I remember I stayed up all night thinking it'd be Shulk. Robin was such a bomb-shell, it really changed up Smash speculation at that time.
The Good: Gematsu was pretty much destroyed and Smash speculation became interesting again.

The Bad: Gematsu's death opened a floodgate for fake leakers.

The Ugly: The first spotlight leak after Gematsu was Miahstorm.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Thank god StarFox is getting delayed. It looked shockingly mediocre and would've been prematurely released had it come out this holiday. It looked far from finished every time it was shown. People can say what they want, but honestly it looked very meh.

I'm sure there was a lot of internal pressure to keep SFZ as the holiday title given the lack of anything else (and considering that Zelda was in all likelihood initially supposed to play that role) but better a good SF game and a barren holiday than a title that will disappoint and do nothing to help continue an already precariously positioned series.

Hopefully with the extra time the game can be infused with more Platinum action, EAD polish and first-party Nintendo visuals.
I just hope NoA and NoE throw some marketing money behind Xenoblade Chronicles X, now. Does Nintendo have anything else left for Wii U for the holidays?

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

Yeah, Sakurai would receive backlash bigger than Ridley if he ate a mega mushroom if he tried to pull a stunt like that.
So, uh... I just found this video.

I can respect the dedication...
...um did he actually talk to the Nintendo executives? Also why is Daisy drunk?

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
So, uh... I just found this video.

I can respect the dedication...
It's sad to expect people to generalize all fans of her to be like this and hate on the character an the fans as a whole even more just from one single person.

Humanity is a cruel mistress.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
It's sad to expect people to generalize all fans of her to be like this and hate on the character an the fans as a whole even more just from one single person.

Humanity is a cruel mistress.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not going to generalize anyone because of this.

Just thought it was humorous that he actually went out of his way to go there.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The Good: Gematsu was pretty much destroyed and Smash speculation became interesting again.

The Bad: Gematsu's death opened a floodgate for fake leakers.

The Ugly: The first spotlight leak after Gematsu was Miahstorm.
Which one was Miahstorm again?

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not going to generalize anyone because of this.

Just thought it was humorous that he actually went out of his way to go there.
Yeah, I know, it wasn't referring to you. But just form the dislikes already on that video, my point is, other people that has a more bias look on the character/fans as a whole won't look at this positive and make it out worse then it really is.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I just hope NoA and NoE throw some marketing money behind Xenoblade Chronicles X, now. Does Nintendo have anything else left for Wii U for the holidays?
Well unless I'm mistaken I think Woolly World still hasn't been released in NA. >_<

But honestly I think they're better off just pushing Mario Maker and potential Splatoon, Smash, and Kart DLC above XCX. Not to say XCX shouldn't get marketing, obv Nintendo should put some push behind it, but those other titles are just inherently going to have a bigger market, especially in the west.

And for what it's worth, I can't imagine Nintendo will give XCX less marketing than the gave the initial one. That said, even with the bump in marketing attention, I don't see XCX being able to match Xenoblade's commercial success, even with the barren holiday lineup. Even if the Wii U had a healthy install base, because the first one had Rainfall behind it. People bought the first one to prove a point as much as they did to have the actual game... the same can't really be said for XCX.

Oh and I guess there's also Fatal Frame and Devil's Third... but... yeah.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Miahstorm was the infamous "Bandanna Dee is going to get revealed at Comic-Con, but oops video file corruption" leak.
Didn't most people say Ness was gonna be revealed at Comic Con because it was Mother's anniversary at that time?

Geno Boost

Smash Master
WALL OF TEXT.

Wall of Text.

Oh, did I mention I live with a Geno supporter, have played the game, love Geno, would adore him in Smash, but realize his chances aren't that great, because while he starred in a game that started a whole subset of Mario spin-offs. He's ultimately just a really cool character that has put in one appearance and isn't even owned by Nintendo, but Square Enix.

A company that has at least 3 or 4 major video game franchises that deserve a representation in Smash Brothers for what they did to Nintendo before that one really cool character that appeared once in the Mario game they helped Nintendo make.

I'd adore Geno and sort of support him just because I want my friend to be happy, but he's one of the least likely characters of them all. He doesn't make sense to release alongside the most iconic indie character which is a thing Nintendo is very into right now, supporting indies.

Nor is he the mascot of a franchise that is huge in Japan and is hoping to make a new splash in the West.
I am ok with his chances, I can't see sakurai goes to square to ask for only 1 square Enix character (because having both black Mage with Geno will make more sense) In my opinion.

But We can get more than 1 character from square Enix, and Geno represent something completely different from other square Enix characters, SMRPG was the first game when square teamed up with Nintendo for the first time and they are freinds now and this is something important in the history, you can't find any other square Enix character who represent Nintendo history rather than square Enix history other than Geno, he is more like a Mario rep rather than square/3rd party rep, smash is mostly about "Nintendo celebrity" rather than "3rd party's celebrities" look at this:
DQ/FF/CT rep = represent their Square history
SMRPG rep = represent their Nintendo history

Sure he is not a mascot of anything but he still can hold with Nintendo history than square history he is like a half Nintendo character.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Would it be to ****** of me to just respond to every comment on the internet that I don't feel like going into a detailed response about with a gif or video of Karina's rich snobby anime girl laugh?

Would that be too much?

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Well unless I'm mistaken I think Woolly World still hasn't been released in NA. >_<

But honestly I think they're better off just pushing Mario Maker and potential Splatoon, Smash, and Kart DLC above XCX. Not to say XCX shouldn't get marketing, obv Nintendo should put some push behind it, but those other titles are just inherently going to have a bigger market, especially in the west.

And for what it's worth, I can't imagine Nintendo will give XCX less marketing than the gave the initial one. That said, even with the bump in marketing attention, I don't see XCX being able to match Xenoblade's commercial success, even with the barren holiday lineup. Even if the Wii U had a healthy install base, because the first one had Rainfall behind it. People bought the first one to prove a point as much as they did to have the actual game... the same can't really be said for XCX.

Oh and I guess there's also Fatal Frame and Devil's Third... but... yeah.
Don't forget Mario Tennis Ultra Smash and everyone's most anticipated game, Animal Crossing amiibo Festival.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Would it be to ****** of me to just respond to every comment on the internet that I don't feel like going into a detailed response about with a gif or video of Karina's rich snobby anime girl laugh?

Would that be too much?
Well... yes.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Don't forget Mario Tennis Ultra Smash and everyone's most anticipated game, Animal Crossing amiibo Festival.
I'll be very surprised if the Tennis game doesn't also get delayed. It looked it more preliminary than StarFox at E3. iirc it had only been in development for like a month prior to its reveal... though I might be mistaken on that one. Plus it's another goddam Mario Tennis game from Camelot instead of Golden Sun. x(

I did forget about Animal Crossing Party: Cash Grab Festival though. Yaaaaay. -_-

None of this really bothers me though because the horribly weak lineup means Nintendo is getting ready to blow us away next year with what they've got planned for the NX. It's clear where they've re-allocated their heavy hitters.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
It was basically cancelled because Nintendo wanted the sequel on a stronger system.
I can understand putting a game on a stronger system if certain things aren't working. I suppose its a question of if everything they wanted was working. I have no idea why it didnt come out on gamecube. I guess they thought Assault (I'm 50% sure that was a repurposed game) was a better investment.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So @ N3ON N3ON are you aware of the Shovel Knight rumor?
The one in which he's rumored to be in development and is set to be revealed sooner than later? Basically what was in the video the Unseen64 guy posted?

Nah, never heard of it. ;D

(though if there's more to it than that I genuinely haven't heard about it)

If we get him that's alright I guess. I think Shantae's a better choice for an indie but Shovel Knight is still a cool character from the limited amount I've seen. And he did well on the ballot. Some people will probably be vocally upset if we get him but only up until the point it's no longer cool to publicly hate on the idea of indie characters in Smash. :smirk:

I personally think the idea of characters like Ryu and Shovel Knight in Smash over those like K. Rool and Isaac is silly business, but I get why they're doing it.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
30th.

Last chance for Pre-ballot DLC and I think we're getting a character.
I fully expect at least one character to drop on the 30th. Because the team is still together. They've been together this whole time. They had to have been working on something these past few months, and if the Mario Maker stage really is spoiling a possible MM update (slopes, standalone lava pools), that would, to me, imply the stage was produced relatively recently, depending on how soon that update gets announced. Which would mean there's a lot of undocumented dev time to account for.

Soul.

I want to see the 3DS' successor god dammit. Granted, the thing is doing well and all, but like, damn.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I think expecting a character to drop on the 30th is wishful and dangerous thinking.

When has Sakurai ever done what is expected?

Also, I'm hyped for Mario Tennis but Camelot better be working their Butt Butts off otherwise it won't be ready/polished by the Holidays.

Mario Tennis on the GC was great, let's hope it's more in line with that installment than the 3DS trainwreck.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I fully expect at least one character to drop on the 30th. Because the team is still together. They've been together this whole time. They had to have been working on something these past few months, and if the Mario Maker stage really is spoiling a possible MM update (slopes, standalone lava pools), that would, to me, imply the stage was produced relatively recently, depending on how soon that update gets announced. Which would mean there's a lot of undocumented dev time to account for.
Also since the delay of Star Fox Zero was just announced today, I don't think anyone was planning on the delay smash wise, after all this was shown to be the case with Wooly World, we got that stage before the game released, so if lets say Wolf was intended to be revealed soon, he wouldn't be delayed because of Zero's delay, he'd just be released on time. They had to be working on at least one character by this point.

ProjectTwin

Smash Apprentice
Unpopular opinions? mmm

I love the Rayman franchise to death. But in my opinion... the new re-imagining is the ugliest thing I've seen in gaming so far x__x no offense origin fans.

*Example* said:

*Example* said:
Rip old Rayman.. with all your style :(

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Unpopular opinions? mmm

I love the Rayman franchise to death. But in my opinion... the new re-imagining is the ugliest thing I've seen in gaming so far x__x no offense origin fans.

Rip old Rayman.. with all your style :(
Finally someone who wants Rayman 3 design over origin I am not the only one :,)

Last edited:

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
For those who like Attack on Titan might be interested in the game being developed by Koei Tecmo. First look at the gameplay and I've got to say this is exactly something I imagined an Attack on Titan game to be. I hope it turns out to be a great game.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Man I finished up Plague of Shadows and I have to say it is AMAZING.

The story is surprisingly better than Shovel Knight's original story.

Also the ending scene was so nice and well animated. I just sat there and watched it for a good 2 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom