• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
One thing I have to say about jumpscares. fnaf does it right. Why? Anticipation. You KNOW it's going to happen, you don't know WHEN though. Same thing with World War Z, I thought 'Jumpscare in 3, 2, 1' and because I got the timing wrong, I was more tense with that jumpscare. Most 'horror' games use jumpscares to say 'hardehar, made you jump!' when they should be making an unsettling atmosphere and ****

D

Deleted member

I'm unaware of this. Care to send a link?

You aren't aware of this either, how do you know how he developed things? I'm concluding this based on how the games tick and the release gaps. I've stated before that I don't care for the games and that I believe Scott's a cool guy
i did say if i recall correctly, but i couldn't find anything on it

And im not there with him as he designs, but as a graphic design student, i know there's a process, pre development. You are more than likely getting ideas on paper before you move to the digital environment, And I'm not talking about 1 or 2 ideas, hours and hours of ideas, maybe days, look at any art book for a video game, i seriously doubt every concept they thought of during pre development was in that book. Considering how long i take to make a 2d graphic, and then how many changes it goes thhrough before it becomes my final outcome. I have not had any experience in game design, but my experience in design and what i know of programming, i can tell you that there is probably a lot more than copying and pasting and changing a couple things

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
One thing I have to say about jumpscares. fnaf does it right. Why? Anticipation. You KNOW it's going to happen, you don't know WHEN though. Same thing with World War Z, I thought 'Jumpscare in 3, 2, 1' and because I got the timing wrong, I was more tense with that jumpscare. Most 'horror' games use jumpscares to say 'hardehar, made you jump!' when they should be making an unsettling atmosphere and ****
That's what FNAF does so well. They have mastered the anticipation bit.

The frantic pace just gets you even more tense and stressed.

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
At least Mario Maker lets you skip an annoying level in lieu of a better-designed one that's actually possible without twenty frame-perfect jumps. From what I've seen, there are no penalties and you can do it as often as you need to (though you still need to beat 16 levels in total).

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
The best jumpscare of any game was the one in the original Resident Evil. If you played the game you know what I'm talking about.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Damn right I don't.

Next you'll start realizing I have no power here.
Maybe not in the terms of moderation, but you have all of the power here.
The most power, in fact.

I've only seen the first one but I loved it.
I've seen most of it but I can still say it's really good.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The best jumpscare of any game was the one in the original Resident Evil. If you played the game you know what I'm talking about.
The dog scene?

I personally did not find that scary.

Lisa Trevor was the scariest bit from the game. Well REmake but I count that.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That's what FNAF does so well. They have mastered the anticipation bit.

The frantic pace just gets you even more tense and stressed.
I personally absolutely hate it, but when you have Yahtzee Croshaw, the man who absolutely loves Silent Hill 2, admitting that fnaf genuinely scares him too much, you have to admit, fnaf did something good
i did say if i recall correctly, but i couldn't find anything on it

And im not there with him as he designs, but as a graphic design student, i know there's a process, pre development. You are more than likely getting ideas on paper before you move to the digital environment, And I'm not talking about 1 or 2 ideas, hours and hours of ideas, maybe days, look at any art book for a video game, i seriously doubt every concept they thought of during pre development was in that book. Considering how long i take to make a 2d graphic, and then how many changes it goes thhrough before it becomes my final outcome. I have not had any experience in game design, but my experience in design and what i know of programming, i can tell you that there is probably a lot more than copying and pasting and changing a couple things
My apologies, I'm tired so I can't read straight

I think it isn't a stretch saying you too have a skill difference. I didn't say they were copy pasta did I? I said they were similar, as in, the all have the same song and dance

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I do.
Doesn't scare me anymore.
REmake trumps it with Lisa Trevor (her boss fight is a goddamned nightmare on Invisible Enemy Mode) and the first Crimson Head encounter (especially if you try to burn it).
Though it's still a memorable scene.

I only have as much power as you give me.
Whatever.

Last edited:

Chrono.

At least Mario Maker lets you skip an annoying level in lieu of a better-designed one that's actually possible without twenty frame-perfect jumps. From what I've seen, there are no penalties and you can do it as often as you need to (though you still need to beat 16 levels in total).
Yeah thank god, still, if you're playing on Expert, get ready to skip A LOT of levels.

D

Deleted member

I personally absolutely hate it, but when you have Yahtzee Croshaw, the man who absolutely loves Silent Hill 2, admitting that fnaf genuinely scares him too much, you have to admit, fnaf did something good

My apologies, I'm tired so I can't read straight

I think it isn't a stretch saying you too have a skill difference. I didn't say they were copy pasta did I? I said they were similar, as in, the all have the same song and dance
Even with the skill difference, getting ideas on paper and figuring out what works and doesn't is still huge part of designing anything. I am no where near that level, and it might be because i don't take as much time as i should during predevelopment on my projects. I know you didn't say anything about copy pasta, that's just something i hear a lot about the games

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Enough FNAF and Minions!!! Please...

Edit:I'm late aren't I?

Last edited:

Soul.

FNaF sometimes feels stagnated. I don't really hate the franchise; what irks me is the overratedness of it. Like, I don't know if it's a fad. They're good games for sure, but I can't help but think this way.

No, I'm not going to bother arguing about this.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I do fear it has gotten too popular.

It's not the franchise's fault but when I go to work and see some of my first graders drawing Chica, Foxy, Bonnie and Springtrap, I'm terrified.

This series is about a serial child killer. How do these kids know these things? They can't even tie their shoes.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Nice but is it cheaper to just to buy the VC versions individually?

Bananija

Count of Trickery

It's not the franchise's fault but when I go to work and see some of my first graders drawing Chica, Foxy, Bonnie and Springtrap, I'm terrified.

This series is about a serial child killer. How do these kids know these things? They can't even tie their shoes.
These day, kids play CoD, have access to anything on the internet and the majority have a cellphone. What were you expecting?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Freddy Kreuger toys were sold at Toy R Us iirc. But nope, it's the Breaking Bad action figure soccer moms had hissy fits about. Kids are ****ing dumb, makes you wonder if some deranged nut will actually try doing this as it's not impossible for pedos and such to replicate that. It's going to be Death Note all over again

D

Deleted member

Unless they watch and read the theories online, I don't think they know about the L O R E
It's just edgy and cool for them :cool:

There is no such thing as a game without flaws. Whether or not you're missing much however depends on whether you like the idea of Mario Maker to begin with
My favorite game of all time is absolutely filled with flaws. I know that. it's just that there is so much positive hype and that was the first thing (other than no slopes) i'e seen negative about the game. Strange to me it took me so long to find an issue.
I'm sorry, what did you say?
Cmon we both know those tanks are really really dumb.

Also it doesn't have a future. I would say that is a flaw :cry:

D

Deleted member

My favorite game of all time is absolutely filled with flaws. I know that. it's just that there is so much positive hype and that was the first thing (other than no slopes) i'e seen negative about the game. Strange to me it took me so long to find an issue.

Cmon we both know those tanks are really really dumb.

Also it doesn't have a future. I would say that is a flaw :cry:
The one flaw about it I can think about:
Wonder-Energyy is ****ing dumb and there shouldn't be a limit to how much you an spam Unite Morphs
But then, that makes it go from 101% to 100% only so it's still flawless :^)

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I'm going to have to get the Resident Evil Remake when I get the chance. Have you guys ever heard on Sweet Home? It's a horror RPG for the Famicom, and it's apparently really damn good.

Last edited:
Unite Guts. Took me a while to remember that though
Yeah but what if you dont have it. Which you arent required to or even recommended to :upsidedown:
The one flaw about it I can think about:
Wonder-Energyy is ****ing dumb and there shouldn't be a limit to how much you an spam Unite Morphs
But then, that makes it go from 101% to 100% only so it's still flawless :^)
But does it have a character that is a trap?
This isn't a criteria for me in case anyone is wondering

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
BTW, anyone else seen the new trailer of live action The Jungle Book? I think Disney's milking Cinderella's success for all it's worth.

Curiously enough, Kaa was a female in the original book.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Honestly I do see no flaws in TW101. It's a really good game and if it was pushed as even half of what Splatoon has been, it would have sold like hot cakes.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

This is the same generation responsible for endless videos about kids raging in COD and Minecraft.

That kids draw Springtrap is sad but true. inb4 re because horror

I'm going to have to get the Resident Evil Remake when I get the chance. Have you guys ever heared on Sweet Home? It's a horror RPG for the Famicom, and it's apparently really damn good.
I think you mean Sweet Home.

:4greninja:'d with the edit.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah but what if you dont have it. Which you arent required to or even recommended to :upsidedown:

But does it have a character that is a trap?
This isn't a criteria for me in case anyone is wondering
Why wouldn't you have it? Look at the store, something that sounds very helpful
Wonder Make-up likes being a trap in spare time iirc
THIS IS CATCHY AS ****!!!
As long as it's not URAKIDURASQEED I'm fine

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
BTW, anyone else seen the new trailer of live action The Jungle Book? I think Disney's milking Cinderella's success for all it's worth.

Curiously enough, Kaa was a female in the original book.
*Shakes head in disaproval, gets faster and faster...* WHAT THE **** DISNEY, YOU RUINED EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom