• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

Akuma has the weird tradition of being the guy who joins in later.

Even in SF4, he wasn't playable in the initial Arcade release and was just a secret boss.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Someone posted this on reddit. It compares the Smash weights of the playable Pokemon to their actual weights:

Something is very wrong here.
Something something anti-gravity psychic levitation something something.

Lightweight Mewtwo makes sense when you consider two things:
- In regards to game design, he's meant to be a glass cannon. Very powerful, but lacking elsewhere. Considering this, I believe the only flaw is the lack of attack power he has in Smash: it should be buffed to heavyweight power, matching the likes of Dedede, Bowser and Ganondorf.
- The whole anti-gravity thing actually makes sense from a physics point of view: mass is different from weight. What is commonly referred to as weight is actually the mass. Under lower gravity, even a heavier object will feel lighter. So, if Mewtwo is constantly levitating, his mass may be high, but his weight is actually lower.

This said, I do think Mewtwo should be a little heavier, but also have buffs to his attack power. Mewtwo's design aims for a glass cannon kind of character, after all.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Outside of the Cipher, yes they do.
Snake was mainly an explosives expert in Smash. What is Bomberman? An explosives expert.

Having similar moves based around the explosives Snake used isn't too farfetched.
It's Snake's other moves that don't translate well into Bomberman, but it's not like the rumor is claiming Bomberman would take Snake's entire moveset. Just "some" attacks.
The most I'm willing to give that rumor is perhaps somebody saw him for just a few seconds and thought "Oh, some of those moves resemble Snake's" and then over-generalized him as a Snake replacement when they made the claim. This is, however, reaching pretty far for a tiny straw.

If we entertain the possibility that it's true for a moment, I think it'll be like you've said - a couple of moves resemble Snake's purely for the sake of having explosives, but ultimately he'd have a unique moveset. They'd be wasting a lot of incredible potential if they did that.

In addition to the Cipher, Bomberman has no allegory to the Predator missile, diving into a crawl as per Snake's dash attack would make no sense, and most of Snake's martial-arts moves would be totally out of place. I could see him dropping remote bombs and throwing one like a grenade, but I don't think they'd be nearly invisible like Snake's - rather, I see them being giant bombs that could perhaps be interacted with further before detonating. Heck, if Bomberman can't at least kick his own bombs then they'll have royally screwed the pooch.

Last edited:

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
Yeah, it's really feasible for a hypothetical Bomberman to have a few moves similar to Snake's explosive moves, and if that 4chan leak is real, Bomberman having those moves is probably a coincidence rather than an attempt to clone or "replace" Snake.
That's true, unless Sakurai does a specific thing to avoid Bomberman being similar to Snake, most of the abilities Bomberman would have would be similar to Snake's abilities. Although I'm guessing "Linebomb" would be in there (unless that was his final smash and it just covered the stage in bombs.. which would be awesome)

I definitely don't see him as literally "getting Snakes moveset" as all the regulars and Smash attacks would most likely be completely different, but the specials could have similarities to an extent.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Something something anti-gravity psychic levitation something something.

Lightweight Mewtwo makes sense when you consider two things:
- In regards to game design, he's meant to be a glass cannon. Very powerful, but lacking elsewhere. Considering this, I believe the only flaw is the lack of attack power he has in Smash: it should be buffed to heavyweight power, matching the likes of Dedede, Bowser and Ganondorf.
- The whole anti-gravity thing actually makes sense from a physics point of view: mass is different from weight. What is commonly referred to as weight is actually the mass. Under lower gravity, even a heavier object will feel lighter. So, if Mewtwo is constantly levitating, his mass may be high, but his weight is actually lower.

This said, I do think Mewtwo should be a little heavier, but also have buffs to his attack power. Mewtwo's design aims for a glass cannon kind of character, after all.
Yeah, that's exactly the issue. His playstyle is represented by his weight, and that's something I can understand, but he doesn't really have the tools to compensate for it. I hope they give him some buffs in the future.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Dhalsim hype! :D :D

Swamp being a yoga instructor though? That's a bit of a...stretch.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Yeah, that's exactly the issue. His playstyle is represented by his weight, and that's something I can understand, but he doesn't really have the tools to compensate for it. I hope they give him some buffs in the future.
He mainly needs buffs in power and maybe speed if he's to keep the same weight.

The same could apply to Mr. Game & Watch, who also mainly follows a glass cannon design and actually did that well in Brawl, though his attack power was lowered somewhat in Smash 4.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You people don't seem to be capable of reading or actually retaining the information...

Some moves.

Not the things that make Snake well... Snake.

This is just a case "Mewtwo being replaced by Lucario." The leakers opinion.

D

Deleted member

Someone posted this on reddit. It compares the Smash weights of the playable Pokemon to their actual weights:

As I've said numerous times before, "weight" in Smash is just knockback resistance.
Mewtwo has less of it because he's in a constant state of levitation.

Though there's no excuse why Mewtwo isn't at least close to Rosalina's weight stat considering the two have practically the same reasoning.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Akuma has the weird tradition of being the guy who joins in later.

Even in SF4, he wasn't playable in the initial Arcade release and was just a secret boss.
It was sort of like that in the Alpha games but he had the ability to be playable.

He wasn't in the initial version of SF3.
I kinda rarely count SF3 because that game wanted take itself into another direction and make a roster with nothing but new characters but gradually added Akuma and Chun-Li back in

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
People are worried about various Street Fighter characters not getting in and I'm just here chilling, waiting to see how the remaining new character is going to be like as well as how Dhalsim is going to be changed.

Chrono.

I've always found Dhalsim to be painfully boring but going by other fighters they'll prolly modify him a bit this time around which has me interested.

Other than that I'm sure DLC will rectify my roster wishes (except Q I'm pretty sure Capcom never wants to touch him again)

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Rick Roll is on the radio right now
God help me :4pacman:
- - - - -
Back from school, back to work.
The fun never begins :4pacman:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
People are worried about various Street Fighter characters not getting in and I'm just here chilling, waiting to see how the remaining new character is going to be like as well as how Dhalsim is going to be changed.
Well, if you want to be truthful, fighting games have this stint to where the veterans and returning fighters are move hype and special than the newcomers.

Look at games like Tekken, Mortal Kombat and Guilty Gear where people were pissed when their favorite characters didn't return or was hyped when they did.

Soul Calibur is guilty of that and hurts as well considering fans love Taki and Talim.

The only fighting game that avoids that is BlazBlue because it hasn't dropped a lot of unique characters and Smash which is radically different because it's blasphemous to cut anyone (remember the salt)

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326

While Mewtwo is physically heavy, he's negating his own weight via levitation, thus the force required to move him is substantially less. The rest is gameplay balancing. I see nothing wrong with this graph.

EDIT: Oops, :4greninja:'d

Last edited:

Soul.

Pretty cool to see 3DS homebrew progress go further. Now expect to see Project B[rawl].
Remember that the DS was advertised as a 3rd pillar too.
Of course; I was only saying NX at this point and time was only a third pillar. Once it is shown we'll see what comes after that.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Wait, are we talking about the moveset of a leak? Oh wow that's a shock. I'm not even being sarcastic, we don't really take that stuff into consideration.

Also, I posted Jack Frost's thread in the Character Boards and have yet to get responses..check it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom