• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

replicating Snake's specials make no sense
Outside of the Cipher, yes they do.
Snake was mainly an explosives expert in Smash. What is Bomberman? An explosives expert.

Having similar moves based around the explosives Snake used isn't too farfetched.
It's Snake's other moves that don't translate well into Bomberman, but it's not like the rumor is claiming Bomberman would take Snake's entire moveset. Just "some" attacks.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Honestly if Bomberman comes in and he's a Snake clone, I'll be hella pissed. Bomberman should have stuff on his own merits to stand on, not copy stuff from a cut fighter.

It's like suggesting Shovel Knight represent all indies in his moveset as opposed to giving him a moveset inspired from, you know, his own source material(because who in their right mind is silly enough to suggest that, right, also I am not advocating for SK at all, just making a parallel).

and :4megaman: Uptilt, Mega Upper being a call back to a certain uppercut which what it was back during the Power Fighters games but even that's reaching.
Wasn't the Mega Upper explicitly listed as being from MVC1?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think I'm the only person who thinks Juri sucks.
Granted, I'm not saying the Bomberman part isn't believable, because I can honestly see something like that crossing Sakurai's mind. Specifically the "not including Snake because of the bs surrounding Kojima and Konami" part.
However, it just seems.......odd to where I can't actually imagine Sakurai adding Bomberman in replacement. I see Sakurai in the "Snake or bust" mindset with the most likely outcome being "bust".
Honestly, I still see Snake as way more likely than Bomberman anyways. Since they're both owned by Konami, it seems really odd they'd get the rights to Bomberman before Snake...

D

Deleted member

People gave that leak credit because it predicted Pirate Ship
And apparently, it was that hard of a guess
No, seriously, I saw people that legitimately thought Pirate Ship was unlikely to return

D

Deleted member

People. READ THE DAMN RUMOR.

It's not saying Bomberman would be Snake 2.0.
It's saying that Bomberman would take only some of Snake's attacks while being completely different otherwise.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I still see Snake as way more likely than Bomberman anyways. Since they're both owned by Konami, it seems really odd they'd get the rights to Bomberman before Snake...
Considering how Kojima was involved with Brawl in regards to Snake and the Metal Gear series in general, I can see Sakurai unwilling to use Snake if Kojima is out of the equation.

That's why I can see the logic behind the rumor's concept. The only thing I can't wrap my head around is why he would then include someone else from Konami.
Unless Bomberman himself managed to do well on the Ballot with only Snake being real opposition.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Honestly if Bomberman comes in and he's a Snake clone, I'll be hella pissed. Bomberman should have stuff on his own merits to stand on, not copy stuff from a cut fighter.

It's like suggesting Shovel Knight represent all indies in his moveset as opposed to giving him a moveset inspired from, you know, his own source material(because who in their right mind is silly enough to suggest that, right, also I am not advocating for SK at all, just making a parallel).

Wasn't the Mega Upper explicitly listed as being from MVC1?
I think it came from those then got in MVC and the MM8 inspired moveset as well.

Not like it matters, the move is still a Shoryuken expy.

AKA just a DP

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
People. READ THE DAMN RUMOR.

It's not saying Bomberman would be Snake 2.0.
It's saying that Bomberman would take only some of Snake's attacks while being completely different otherwise.
I can see BomberMan having some Snake-like moves and strategies. I mean, they DO both mostly use bombs (if you go by Brawl Snake, I mean). How likely is this rumor anyways? I have not kept good track on it.

I have never played a BomberMan game, and I can't say I'd be thrilled with him being in, but I wouldn't be against it. ^^

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
People gave that leak credit because it predicted Pirate Ship
And apparently, it was that hard of a guess
No, seriously, I saw people that legitimately thought Pirate Ship was unlikely to return
I said on Neogaf I didn't think it would return because I thought it couldn't run on 3DS and handle 8 Player Smash. Can I get a cookie for at least predicting those two aspects right?

:231:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Sakurai really isn't the kind of designer to simply slap Snake's moveset on Bomberman. I do agree they could share SOME similar attacks given they do have similar abilities in regards to the use of explosive weaponry.

It's no different from characters sharing similar moves such as both Fox and Zero Suit Samus having laser guns. Why? Because both characters have laser guns. Why do Mario and Luigi have Fireballs? Because they both can use Fireballs in their own games.

However, Snake's moveset is very much tailored after his own games and his characterization in them. He uses CQC and weaponry from the MGS series, with emphasis on traps over direct combat.

Sakurai does design characters with their characterization (in regards to their skills and abilities) in mind, though he isn't afraid to improvise when necessary. By improvisation, I mean things like giving moves not based on the characters' own games, taking moves used by other characters in their games (see Zelda, Ness or Lucas) or even just adapting an existing character's moveset and tweaking them to better fit the new character (see clones).

Sakurai does follow the source games, but is also aware that characters are flexible to an extent and he's willing to make changes to better fit with Smash's gameplay, to provide with more gameplay options and/or development constraints.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Crotch-Chop Waluigi
I have no interest in amiibos and even I would buy that. :laugh:

Snake was mainly an explosives expert in Smash. What is Bomberman? An explosives expert.

Having similar moves based around the explosives Snake used isn't too farfetched.
It's Snake's other moves that don't translate well into Bomberman, but it's not like the rumor is claiming Bomberman would take Snake's entire moveset. Just "some" attacks.
What about his up special though?

While Snake was an explosives expert, he had a number of CQC moves too - neck snapping, his normal moves and all that on top of being a heivyweight. So, while they may share a few moves. Bomberman will have a very different feel from Snake.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
This was Losers Finals:
I think there was another set between them but that wasn't uploaded.
Ah thank you! I know, :079:, but I only log in while i'm at work. The capes were so well timed in the fight. Had my jaw drop a few times.

D

Deleted member

I said on Neogaf I didn't think it would return because I thought it couldn't run on 3DS and handle 8 Player Smash. Can I get a cookie for at least predicting those two aspects right?

No
And don't steal someone else's post signature

D

Deleted member

Though come to think of it.....after Sonic and Mega Man, wasn't Bomberman a rather popular request for Brawl?
What about his up special though?

While Snake was an explosives expert, he had a number of CQC moves too - neck snapping, his normal moves and all that on top of being a heivyweight. So, while they may share a few moves. Bomberman will have a very different feel from Snake.

You didn't read the post you quoted in its entirety, did you? :p

Last edited by a moderator:

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
Someone understands me. That's exactly how I feel about the Smash games. After Project M came by, I stopped playing vBrawl completely.

Remember that the DS was advertised as a 3rd pillar too.

Google supports Goku and Shrek, obviously. :p

Who doesn't? It didn't help that he disappeared soon after the RTC ended. He did drop in for a chat once, but then disappeared again.

The DS remained a third pillar for three years after its release considering the last game for GBA was released in 2007 and Nintendo ceased the production in the same year.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Has no one besides Golden actually read the rumor?

"Some attacks are ripped straight from Snake's moveset but otherwise he's pretty different."
Yeah, I read it but I'm still pissed that he has to go that regard. There's having something similar but he said he ripped some moves from a fighter already.

It doesn't matter if the rest of the moves are original, it hurts the fans of Snake that they'll even try to skew over some his moves to a character that have a radically different moveset

No other newcomer has that so why Bomberman? That's what I'm upset about it.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Characters data that should have been removed from the beta got leaked? I have no sympathy, considering that was something that should have been done.

So, Bomberman getting in as a Snake replacement because of Kojima's and Konami's falling out is more believable to you than Shovel Knight?
Good point.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Characters data that should have been removed from the beta got leaked? I have no sympathy, considering that was something that should have been done.
And yet somehow people got all up in arms when a few datamined Smash and found Royu. What's with that?

No
And don't steal someone else's post signature

My God. The Phanpy are spreading...

Kill it! Kill it with fire!

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
And yet somehow people got all up in arms when a few datamined Smash and found Royu. What's with that?

Because Smash is different and it makes us hype. When Capcom does it, it's scummy because SFxT did now every game will.

:232:

Using fire against a ground type? You're just asking to get hit by a super effective move. Try water.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm sorry but I think the idea of Snake's moveset being repurposed for someone else in any capacity is dumb.
Whether it's Sami or Bomberman, this would be a disservice to both the new character, as they don't live up to their full potential, and to Snake's fans, who don't get Snake nor the whole moveset he once had.

Whether it's 2 moves or the whole thing, there's no point and it will just leave a sour taste in people's mouths.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Because Smash is different and it makes us hype. When Capcom does it, it's scummy because SFxT did now every game will.

:232:
No... I don't see how it's different.
I mean, unless it's somehow the full and complete character then no I don't see how it's on disk, nor how just because another company does it that another somehow double standards take effect.

It's not justified, it's bias.

Using fire against a ground type? You're just asking to get hit by a super effective move. Try water.
You're right! What was I thinking?...

:231::231:

May God have mercy on our souls. :scared:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom