• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I'm just going to call it now.

We're not getting any Smash news in October, but we will in November. It's pretty obvious that Nintendo is doing Smash patches every other month.
I think we'll see a reveal but not a release until next month.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
When you use headphones and you start feeling your hair between your ears and the headphones is when you realize your hair is growing a little too big. :p

Not really sucking, but gaming overhaul has kinda lost its luster lately... That's the feeling I get.

I feel the industry is getting a bit saturated.

And I'm now off to watch some anime.
Ehh I feel like gaming is kinda the same as it was before except you now know the problems at hand that are going one and just more laziness.

I just ignore the crap and go for the usual good stuff. It's why I only at certain game genres as of late. To avoid disappointment, rage, salt, pessimistic attitude and other stuff.

Like fighting games, racing games, hack n slash games, platformers and SRPGs

Those genres still have great quality in them and are still fun adventures.

I'll leave the other RPGs, shooters, MMOs and open world crap alone.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm going to play as Samus in Fatal Frame cuz he's kinda like Master Chief and Master Chief doesn't afraid of anything. :3

It's not about the years.

It's about releasing it right in the middle of the PS4 and Xbox One's lifespan.
2017 is also going to be right in the middle of the other two lifespans. They only released less than two years ago, and they're doing well enough that them being on the market without a successor for the next... three or four years seems entirely plausible.

Regardless, that's hardly an inherent death sentence. If Nintendo wants to position the NX in the exact same way Sony and M$ have handled their campaigns, sure, it'll seem redundant... but it's pretty unlikely Nintendo does that (especially since it seems the NX has a gimmick the other two won't), they've always gone the deliberately distinct route.

Also, not only do people pick up systems in the middle of a console cycle all the time (look at the PS3), but many even pick up new versions of systems they already own.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I actually see this the other way around - I see them painting the stages, but not the characters.

It's more important to the Inklings' mechanics, first of all. The stage would have to be painted in order for them to be able to swim or use stealth (and it's why I'm stuck on "break the media" actually meaning "break the meta," if there's any truth at all behind those pesky tweets - they'll completely redefine the zoning game, at least while they're on stage). They'd need to take some liberties in implementing them, like severely reducing the time an area remains painted to a few seconds, but it could be cool. Painting the stages shouldn't be terribly difficult either, so long as they restricted themselves to static surfaces.

Painting characters, however, has no benefit in a Smash context. The point is to rack up damage, not completely paint the surface of an enemy. More importantly, applying paint effects to every character model could be incredibly challenging - it's easier in Splatoon because the models are relatively simpler and more similar, but imagine trying to properly apply a splat to Ganondorf's armor. Painting each character would be purely an aesthetic choice, and one that seems like it'd come at a high cost for little payout. Maybe it is made simple through some cheeky algorithm, but you've asked the right question - is it feasible on a 3DS?
Yeah, that's why I figured paint attacks on enemies might just have a splash effect and nothing else. I understand the whole gimmick is painting the landscape but at the same time the only weapons Inklings have for attacking their opponents are also paint based. I just imagined the full body texture of the metal box for instance being easier than spot painting an enemy, if they were to try and make paint stick on an opponent for any reason.

I'm not sure how paint textures on stages would work either. Again, spot painting stages seems like it could get messy in more ways than one if it wasn't limited. And by limited I mean I don't think it could last too long or be too big, not just from the standpoint of gameplay balance within Smash but also what the 3DS engine could manage. Basically, if it was very limited it could work. Rather than existing as a "retexturing effect" it could just exist as an attack effect similar to any other attack effect.
I also imagine stage painting would only be a narrow stream or spot existing only on the "fighting plane". I don't see the effect having any variation mostly due to the 3DS, as in the paint effect of a move would appear the same every time. With the exception of say a special that leaves a spot for several seconds as a place an Inkling could have more "power" or whatever, I think most ink effects would only last as long as the attack animation. For instance, a move where the point is to have a spot on stage for at set amount of seconds could be similar to the Villager's sprout and could have the effect of increasing the power of the Inkling while in that area, or cause harm to enemy while they're in it, or just make them trip or something. The limitation would be that you couldn't do this move again until it wore off from the first time. I also see an issue with multiple Inkling's on the stage as well, but if just one move left ink for any length of time it could be not too messy.

Other ink based moves may not paint anything. Say the neutral special is just shooting an ink gun. I could see that move simply being a projectile that has a splash effect when it impacts an enemy for damage. After the splash there would be no ink left anywhere. Likewise, a squid jump special could have an animation where the Inkling creates a stream on the ground or in the air and passes through it. Think Pac-Man's side B but appearing more like Shadow Sneak or something. After the move was made, the ink would be gone.

TL;DR - I see the Inkling's being doable but they'd be much much less messier in Smash than in Splatoon. I realistically only see ink sticking as part of one or maybe two moves. All other moves would just have splash effects and wouldn't leave ink behind. The theory being that this kind of limitation, while certainly not accurate to Splatoon gameplay, would be a lot less taxing on Smash's game engine by making things a lot less messy.

Last edited:

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
Picking up Yoshi's Woolly World, but won't be able to play it until Sunday night at thecearliest. Ah well, at least music's nigh-impossible to get spoiled on accidentally, and that's what I'm looking forward to the most by far. Tomoya Tomita with all the good feels.
I got it but I can't play til Christmas. ;-; Yarn Yoshi, comfort me.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
TriForce Heroes' Online is gonna turn on in about an hour, anyone from the North America region wanna add eachother so we can play together? :4pacman:

D

Deleted member

TriForce Heroes' Online is gonna turn on in about an hour, anyone from the North America region wanna add eachother so we can play together? :4pacman:
I don't think you can play online with friends in the demo...
But just to make sure, I would like to add you!:4pacman:

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
Can confirm. You cannot play with friends in the demo. Add me anyway?

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
You can!
Friday, Oct. 16; 8PM - 1AM EST
Saturday, Oct. 17; 8PM - 1AM EST
Sunday, Oct. 18; 10AM - 3AM EST
1 hour and 4 minutes (approx.) until Online is turned on! :4pacman:

D

Deleted member

You can!
Yeah, I know about the online times, but I heard somewhere that it was random only
I added your FC anyways so add mine too
Unless you already did it

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You can!
Hey, could I join you guys? :4pacman:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
A source would be nice on that
"Beg pardon, but you cannot play with friends in the demo version of this game. In the full version, however, you can form a team with only friends, or even with one friend and an unknown hero."

Source: The Demo version of the game when you try to play Online with Friends...

D

Deleted member

"Beg pardon, but you cannot play with friends in the demo version of this game. In the full version, however, you can form a team with only friends, or even with one friend and an unknown hero."

Source: The Demo version of the game when you try to play Online with Friends...
Thought it just gave a normal error message
That's a bummer

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Guys.

Stop.

Online with friends apparently doesn't work.

Guys.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I started watching an anime called Comet Lucifer. Two episodes in and I have no idea what the **** is going on.

From the protagonist finding a giant crystal that turns into an absurdly moe kawaii loli with superpowers, to a military unit wanting her for some reason, to mecha, to a rock that transforms into a bug-like rock thing and also a mecha, to an old guy making cryptic speeches, to a kid killing with a knife a bunch of military men armed to the teeth...

It's THAT kind of series. One that is completely random. Or so it seems, as there was a lot of tension and mystery squeezed in. I'll be watching it. I liked it so far. But damn if it didn't create such an impression with all the stuff going on.

Anyway, anything going on? I see you guys are all entertained with the Zelda: Tri Force Heroes demo. I'm looking forward to the game myself. Though I also want Majora's Mask 3D and haven't found a copy yet...

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Actually, did anyone know that there was once a Westernized version of Sailor Moon?

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
so as it is the season of terror and we are on the subject of american cartoons id like for everyone who is able to go watch the powerpuffgirls episode knock it off....youll see why and then youll go in no uncertain terms
"holy **** what the everloving **** how did they get away with this" i know i just did

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
so as it is the season of terror and we are on the subject of american cartoons id like for everyone who is able to go watch the powerpuffgirls episode knock it off....youll see why and then youll go in no uncertain terms
"holy **** what the everloving **** how did they get away with this" i know i just did
*goes to the wiki*
"The Professor gets a call from his old friend, **** Hardly"

I think thats enough reading for that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom