• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I partially agree. I have ZERO issue when it comes to alt costumes, but even as an optional costume, being too pandering to fan service lovers is a bad move.

That said, of the three costumes I know of, each is a different level of fanservice:
  • Zelda: pure nintendo reference, breaks immersion
  • ZSS: nintendo reference and light fan service, breaks immersion
  • lingerie: straight fan service, but doesnt break immersion
The first two are just fine, but it's the last one that's questionable.
Because Fatal Frame has done the latter option multiple times over multiple times but people care about it now considering we live in a social media world with a lot of the PC standards. I'm not taking sides but it's kinda the situation it brings.

The only reason people get so salty about the costumes is that a colorful princess dress and a space suit breaks immersion in a horror game but a skimpy maid outfit doesn't because it fits the art style and that's it.

Except that Pheonix Mode turns the game into a visual novel wheras unlockable optional costumes don't do anything to the actual gameplay
Let's be honest, if you're playing Phoenix Mode, then you aren't even that much of a FE fan or looking for an quick dating sim (which let's be honest, Fates is awful with that considering how boring Corrin is. Yep even more boring than Robin who at least have a personality. Corrin is just a doormat)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
the first Heisei
upload_2015-10-16_19-58-56.jpeg

Kuuga is the only first Heisei thing I care about. inb4 plebs who haven't watched it call it kiddy
Doesn't matter because why would you go through a haunted place barely naked?
We women have kinks.
Especially when you think about why it's doing what it's doing.
Then it becomes a Horror Tragedy, with the last scene making you realize the monster is just as much a victim as the people.
Can you explain? Haven't seen anything on King Kong in 7 years

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
But...Horror movies have teenagers ****ing eachother silly all the time, I remember the Friday the 13th reboot having a naked chick or two get killed. What's wrong if a game does it?
That's why I said the third one doesnt break immersion: because it's a recurring aspect of many horror films.

That said, your question implies that I don't have an issue with it when it happens in films. I do. I personally just find it tastless and cheap. I simply consider it a weak aspect of a plot when a story can't have characters express passion without having sex or in this case express vulnerability without being half naked.

It's a valid and functional method, but there are more refined and elegant expressions of these things that are seldom used. I mean look at films like UP. There was more love in the first few moments of that film than all the sex scenes in the world.

EDIT:
Because Fatal Frame has done the latter option multiple times over multiple times but people care about it now considering we live in a social media world with a lot of the PC standards. I'm not taking sides but it's kinda the situation it brings.
Perhaps for others. I just see it as devs taking the easy, crude way out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Except that Pheonix Mode turns the game into a visual novel wheras unlockable optional costumes don't do anything to the actual gameplay
The point is that you're not forced to use or play like that
You're given the option
If someone wants to play a visual novel with a FE skin, then they can do it

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Kermit not being born = 9/11 not happening?

What did Kermit do?
Sip ice tea, the sick ****.
That's why I said the third one doesnt break immersion: because it's a recurring aspect of many horror films.

That said, your question implies that I don't have an issue with it when it happens in films. I do. I personally just find it tastless and cheap. I simply consider it a weak aspect of a plot when a story can't have characters express passion without having sex or in this case express vulnerability without being half naked.

It's a valid and functional method, but there are more refined and elegant expressions of these things that are seldom used. I mean look at films like UP. There was more love in the first few moments of that film than all the sex scenes in the world.
I feel like horror movies should be less about 'WOOO GIANT ****' and more 'WOOOO SADISTIC MURDER'
The point is that you're not forced to use or play like that
You're given the option
If someone wants to play a visual novel with a FE skin, then they can do it
But...It's casual Q.Q

D

Deleted member

I feel like horror movies should be less about 'WOOO GIANT ****' and more 'WOOOO SADISTIC MURDER
I feel like they should be more about actual psychological horror rather than jumpscares
Same applies to games
Some do it pretty nicely
Like Stairs
Go watch ProJared's playthrough
I mean look at films like UP. There was more love in the first few moments of that film than all the sex scenes in the world.
Up could have been just the intro scene and it would still be great
**** if I didn't cry a lot...

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Can you explain? Haven't seen anything on King Kong in 7 years
Not King Kong (though that's still a tragedy where Kong was a victim). Godzilla 1954.

The creature was a prehistoric creature that lived peacefully deep below the ocean floor that had been disturbed by the nukes of WWII.
That scarred, bumpy skin he's got? That's to reflect radiation burns.
His habitat destroyed and having to endure extreme amounts of pain, he attacked anything that approached him. Then when he came ashore, he was blinded by light (he has extreme sensitivity to light) and put into a rampage.
Literally none of his actions were his own fault.
And then he was killed for it in the most agonizing way possible; the Oxygen Destroyer. All while he finally found peace resting on the ocean floor.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Not King Kong (though that's still a tragedy where Kong was a victim). Godzilla 1954.

The creature was a prehistoric creature that lived peacefully deep below the ocean floor that had been disturbed by the nukes of WWII.
That scarred, bumpy skin he's got? That's to reflect radiation burns.
His habitat destroyed and having to endure extreme amounts of pain, he attacked anything that approached him. Then when he came ashore, he was blinded by light (he has extreme sensitivity to light) and put into a rampage.
Literally none of his actions were his own fault.
And then he was killed for it in the most agonizing way possible; the Oxygen Destroyer. All while he finally found peace resting on the ocean floor.
Oh...
Oh
OH
Now I'm sad

D

Deleted member

Oh...
Oh
OH
Now I'm sad
It gets worse in one continuity. Actually, in two.
In GMK, that Godzilla was brought back to life (as opposed to being a different creature like in most other continuities) and was enfused with the tormented souls of the ones who died in WWII due to the bombings, becoming a near invincible being of pure rage.
And in the Kiryu duology (Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo S.O.S.), the skeleton of the original Godzilla (in the original film, the bones were dissolved by the Oxygen Destroyer) was used to frame a Mechagodzilla (dubbed "Kiryu", which means "metal dragon") to combat the new Godzilla that was attacking Tokyo, which caused it's soul to be in a state of unrest.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It gets worse in one continuity. Actually, in two.
In GMK, that Godzilla was brought back to life (as opposed to being a different creature like in most other continuities) and was enfused with the tormented souls of the ones who died in WWII due to the bombings, becoming a near invincible being of pure rage.
And in the Kiryu duology (Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo S.O.S.), the skeleton of the original Godzilla (in the original film, the bones were dissolved by the Oxygen Destroyer) was used to frame a Mechagodzilla (dubbed "Kiryu", which means "metal dragon") to combat the new Godzilla that was attacking Tokyo, which caused it's soul to be in a state of unrest.
WHERE DO YOU FIND THIS STUFF?!

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
UHH cool I guess.

Huh...It's funny, there was this old video I found a year ago of a game just like that with Zero Suit Samus's outfit as a costume, but it was modded in.

Sadly this video is lost to time and obscurity, but here's a screenshot of it.

You can see it's old since it uses the Brawl/Zero Mission version. But that's pretty cool to see it actually become a thing.

Last edited:

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
Between having to deal with the respective "IP owners," over using characters and concepts from their games, or dealing with fan expectations, over characters and concepts that they've grown up with, I'm not sure what I'd find more stressful personally. So many mistresses to please, even before the game is distributed to the public.

However, it must be very gratifying when all of these pieces, that have really nothing to do with each other, are composed in a way that creates an extremely successful formula. Developing a successful crossover game is no easy task. Very rarely have I come across a game that is as well rounded and engaging as Smash, even with some various shortcomings.

That being said, I really with development time was focused more areas of the game outside of characters, costumes and stages. There are quite a few areas I think could use some improvement. Of course the only way I see that happening is if they released some sort of expansion pack for the game. It could happen, but since they have no history of doing something like that, it's rather unlikely.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Just saw this on Nintendo's tweet about the splatoon update:

I laughed.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I could somewhat understand Phoenix Mode, but why are the heck are people complaining about funny stuff and extras in a horror game or did the entire Silent Hill series just disappear from exis....oh right, Konami doesn't exist anymore.
Still, nothing is wrong about silly stuff in games. Games can be many different things, but honestly, the thing that they all should be is fun to play. And there should be nothing wrong about a game adding different ways to have fun or different things to have fun with.
And while I do question Fates' Pheonix Mode(mostly because I believe there should still be a challenge in games), I don't need to choose it. And I don't need to worry about the other Fanservice things since doing supports the normal way is still faster than My Room and there's like little to no fanservice in Fates' main story(besides that one Camilla scene).
I feel like they should be more about actual psychological horror rather than jumpscares.
Same applies to games.
Definitely. I don't mind jumpscares from time to time, especially if they are good. But I definitely prefer being afraid by tension and mind messing stuff compared to jumpscares.

Oh, since I see talk of Fates, somebody mind translating this for me?

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
So how many people here are actually getting Fatal Frame?

I'm going to have to get an external hard drive for it. I definitely don't even have a fraction of the 16GB left on my Wii U.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Horror games aren't my kind of thing, so I'm not thinking on getting Fatal Frame/Project Zero. I appreciate the bonus costumes nonetheless.

Also, changed my signature so it now features every Smash 3DS/Wii U character. And they aren't ordered randomly either...

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I see Godzilla talk. It looks like the Godzilla VS King Kong is all but verified now. The largets size in ANY incarnation that I could find for King Kong, is 70 feet... and most of the time he was smaller than that. In fact, the designer/director of the first King Kong placed him at 18 feet, and one of the guys in charge of the models made him look a lot bigger, and they stuck with that.

Godzilla, at least in the new movie, is 300 feet tall. I mean, I think a fight with them being the same size is already in Godzilla's favor. But Donkey-- er, King Kong is gonna have to grow over 200 feet to be the same height. How is this match up going to work??

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Another lovely "leak" from the depths of 4chan.
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/313281328
It seems to be taking from other leaks. My biggest flaw with it is the release windows for the 3 non ballot characters. If all 3 are non ballot, why would the third slot have just been added? And why is wolf the farthest away? To me,I see all 3 of those characters getting in, but I am currently thinking that all 3 would be this month if we get anything.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Every swordsman is secretly Marth.

Ike is heavy Marth. Roy is fire Marth. Lucina is waifu girl Marth. Shulk is Monado Marth. Robin is magic Marth.
Then there's Kirby with Marth's hair, Mini Marth :4metaknight:, fake Marth :4miisword:, proto-Marth :4link: and Green Diddy :4luigi:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Horror games aren't my kind of thing, so I'm not thinking on getting Fatal Frame/Project Zero. I appreciate the bonus costumes nonetheless.

Also, changed my signature so it now features every Smash 3DS/Wii U character. And they aren't ordered randomly either...
Funny you say that:

And Everyone in Fire Emblem is marth to!

D

Deleted member

Every swordsman is secretly Marth.

Ike is heavy Marth. Roy is fire Marth. Lucina is waifu girl Marth. Shulk is Meme Marth. Robin is magic Marth.
Fixed
Also, Link is Green Marth, Meta Knight is Broken Marth and Mii Swordfighter is a-Mii-Marth

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Just your daily reminder that the NX releasing in 2016 is business suicide!

Ivander

Smash Legend
I see Godzilla talk. It looks like the Godzilla VS King Kong is all but verified now. The largets size in ANY incarnation that I could find for King Kong, is 70 feet... and most of the time he was smaller than that. In fact, the designer/director of the first King Kong placed him at 18 feet, and one of the guys in charge of the models made him look a lot bigger, and they stuck with that.

Godzilla, at least in the new movie, is 300 feet tall. I mean, I think a fight with them being the same size is already in Godzilla's favor. But Donkey-- er, King Kong is gonna have to grow over 200 feet to be the same height. How is this match up going to work??
Well, if you think about it, the first King Kong VS Godzilla was originally going to be Frankenstein fighting Godzilla, so maybe they will do something that makes it sensible how Kong grew and how Kong gets powered by lightning. Either that or take away the lightning power-up, just only add how Kong grew than make King Kong practically use hard work and determination for fighting Godzilla.
That being said, I also wouldn't mind Kong and Godzilla possibly teaming up at the end to fight against some new monster that pops up.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Oh my god.
I'm a 21 year old male.
And I cannot stop gushing over how adorable this game is.

Like OH MY GOD I have not felt this happy playing a game in ages. Feel-Good is the most accurate name this company could ever have lmao.

And the music OH MY GOD

This is why I play video games. For real. To be happy like this.

Last edited:

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Being that it's my first FE game I actually played past the initial first few minutes, I'd akin that to it's accessibility. It feels easier to get into for a newcomer compared to the other games, and the art style and character designs look really cool to me.

I'll probably get hate for this, but I actually like the fact I can choose to not have my characters die. I didn't like having to worry about that and when they gave the option it let me approach the series easier. Now I could probably experiment with that feature now since I feel more comfortable with the series since I beat the game via that mode.

The gameplay felt balanced and fun for me, and I did like the story. I'm uncertain how good the other FEs are, though. But even if they are better, I think Awakening is a great game.
Except for maybe Xenoblaze, you'd be hard pressed to find a FE fan who doesn't think Awakening is a good game.

I can see the advantages of casual mode (phoenix mode is a flat out abomination though) but at the same time I think it takes away a lot of the rewards for learning how to play each game as well as what helps define the series as a whole. Getting farther in the game and forging attachments to characters I feel should be reward enough for good strategy. It's annoying to restart a chapter if someone dies, but in the end you can really only blame yourself.

Pretty much any FE game that lets you grind is unbalanced (except for Gaiden), but it's somewhat forgivable as it adds replay ability. It's a mixed bag.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well, if you think about it, the first King Kong VS Godzilla was originally going to be Frankenstein fighting Godzilla, so maybe they will do something that makes it sensible how Kong grew and how Kong gets powered by lightning. Either that or take away the lightning power-up, just only add how Kong grew than make King Kong practically use hard work and determination for fighting Godzilla.
That being said, I also wouldn't mind Kong and Godzilla possibly teaming up at the end to fight against some new monster that pops up.
Team up VS Ultraman or riot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom