• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
FYI, Zef is on the Japan TIme Podcast with Roger. They know each other.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Dixie can bring hype. Any newcomer can bring hype. For God sakes, people were pretty low on Pac-Man until they saw his trailer and fell in love with him, same with Bowser Jr, Shulk and the even Ryu so they hype thing is really stupid argument and Dixie and K. Rool don't have a rivalry as bad as say; Wolf vs Krystal.

It's rivalry is something to where both sides wouldn't be upset if either one got in and can support either side.

Do you even pay attention, m8?
While it is true that any newcomer can bring hype (excluding some clones), we also have to remember that not every newcomer is going to be on the same level of hype that they'll bring to the table. Lets take Villager and Mega Man for example. Both of those characters were hype additions and many were excited to see them, but even with that in mind, the amount of people that jumped out of their seats and screamed "YES!" for Mega Man far outnumbered the ones that did for Villager, even though he also got positive reception himself.

Provided this rumor is true, I'd say the same would hold true for Dixie vs. some other highly popular potential newcomers. She is a very popular character in her own right, but when you look at how she does in popularity polls and the like, she's not necessarily one that would make the "media go crazy" over her whereas those like Inklings would. That's not a shot against her character (personally, I feel she has a lot of merits to her and it would be nice to have her on the roster finally), it's just how she compares to other newcomers.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Just remember you said this if Dixie gets revealed.
And if anyone gets salty about it then that's their own fault. The people that complain are gonna be the vocal minority and NOT the majority.
It'd say Pac-Man had the "Ghostly Adventures design/un unique moveset) thing going against him, but seeing what Sakurai can make work despite something being "meh" in my eyes :4duckhunt:, Yeah, any character he touches a can assume would make people hype for, even Ridley.
I think there were more variables that kinda made Pac-Man looked boring to most people eyes.

But it's still the same thing, hype is gonna come as long as you give a character a creative and unique look, even for a clone, add them kicking major ass on the cast, put it with the background of a great soundtrack from the game and a CG trailer and BAM. Hype

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Dixie can bring hype. Any newcomer can bring hype. For God sakes, people were pretty low on Pac-Man until they saw his trailer and fell in love with him, same with Bowser Jr, Shulk and the even Ryu so they hype thing is really stupid argument and Dixie and K. Rool don't have a rivalry as bad as say; Wolf vs Krystal.

It's rivalry is something to where both sides wouldn't be upset if either one got in and can support either side.

Do you even pay attention, m8?
Just want to say that many of us Krystal fans, at least here on Smashboards, also support Wolf. Lots of us were rooting for Wolf to get in pre-ballot to make way for Krystal. His cut hurt us too. We can relate to Wolf fans in that at least. Many of us actually want both characters and believe it's possible if the total number of DLC characters we get is enough. I think the same could be said of Rool and Dixie. Though I'm not as familiar with their fanbases, I believe there's at least some people that support both. In fact, I think I've head that many Rool supporters were perhaps Dixie supporters that moved to Rool just so they could make sure DK in general could at least get something out of Smash. I'll admit however, that it doesn't seem likely that any franchise will get more than two characters unless the total number of DLC characters we're yet to get is at least 5.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Tama Tama : So... I have a quick question for you. This thread has been recently following a leak from RogersBase, Stealth and Zefiscool. They're teasing a possible announcement of something in the next two weeks.

I know you probably don't want to deal with rumors anymore, but would you be willing to PM them on twitter and maybe sending one of them to SmashBoards? We're just trying to get information to document for possible future references just in case if it were real.

You don't necessarily have to do this, but it would be awesome since you seem to have the background and knowledge of getting sources.

D

Deleted member

Guys, there's a duo you're all forgetting about
One that even uses ice attacks
Icecool.png

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Just want to say that many of us Krystal fans, at least here on Smashboards, also support Wolf. Lots of us were rooting for Wolf to get in pre-ballot to make way for Krystal. His cut hurt us too. We can relate to Wolf fans in that at least. Many of us actually want both characters and believe it's possible if the total number of DLC characters we get is enough. I think the same could be said of Rool and Dixie. Though I'm not as familiar with their fanbases, I believe there's at least some people that support both. In fact, I think I've head that many Rool supporters were perhaps Dixie supporters that moved to Rool just so they could make sure DK in general could at least get something out of Smash. I'll admit however, that it doesn't seem likely that any franchise will get more than two characters unless the total number of DLC characters we're yet to get is at least 5.
That is a great statement. I support all 4 characters because they are unique fighter that can bring something new to the roster. If they all got in along with maybe Isaac, Simon Belmont(bias:)) and Impa then it's a complete roster to me.

I never got he idea of character rivalries. One character doesn't hold another back. In my belief, one doesn't hurt the other and would be great if both sides just get a rep for their franchise

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I was one of the, like, six Duck Hunt supporters when my info fell into my lap. Stranger things have happened.
There's that chance that it's not a coincidence. Maybe Grinder knows something because someone out there knew he cared.

Maybe that's part of why Duck Hunt fell into your lap. Someone knew you cared about the character. Though I know you had early details last year, I can't say I know the circumstances, but it wouldn't be unusual for someone with news to make sure a friend with investment heard about it.

Duck Hunt does seem a bit big for a lap dog however.

Tama

Smash Apprentice
It's almost like I'm an immature *****. Oh wait, I am. No need to get extra salty about a joke
Grow up.

Also, I heard this supposed character that those guys are going on about is the inklings from Splatoon. That's basically a rumour about a rumour, but nobody's denied it.

I dont know if there's any truth to their rumour, but I think it's a bit unfair to everyone that they're showing off about apparently knowing, while refusing to go on record about the specific character in case it's wrong. I believe in letting people know what you've heard, instead of just being vague and teasing; it doesn't matter if it's wrong.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Oh... Hey Tama Tama . Sorry things got the way they did dude. True or not, we do appriciate you giving us something to talk about these past few weeks.
...What brings you here though?

EDIT: Oh, the Splatatatatatata leak. I'm kinda baffled we're still on about that...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If we were to define salt, what would it mean, exactly? anger? frustration? annoyance?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Just don't stir the pot, okay? Tama didn't really deserve that comment.
Yeesh, I'm one of the least serious people in the thread, why should anyone take anything I joke about seriously?
Grow up.

Also, I heard this supposed character that those guys are going on about is the inklings from Splatoon. That's basically a rumour about a rumour, but nobody's denied it.

I dont know if there's any truth to their rumour, but I think it's a bit unfair to everyone that they're showing off about apparently knowing, while refusing to go on record about the specific character in case it's wrong. I believe in letting people know what you've heard, instead of just being vague and teasing; it doesn't matter if it's wrong.
No u
The fact this guy has no evidence and unlike you, has no credibility, means the rumour should be taken with a whole packet of salt. Pun not intended

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
If we were to define salt, what would it mean, exactly? anger? frustration? annoyance?
Dry, white and throat killing, but pretty great on french fries.
:secretkpop:

Yeesh, I'm one of the least serious people in the thread, why should anyone take anything I joke about seriously?

No u
The fact this guy has no evidence and unlike you, has no credibility, means the rumour should be taken with a whole packet of salt. Pun not intended
Ryuga.
Stop.
Right now.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin

Being vague is what really gets a fanbase riled up. The reason is since we don't know what the content is, we cannot judge the authenticity of it. It's sort of irritating that we can't verify anything lol.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Welp, I'm feeling overdue for one of my classic reality checks...

We're at the point where "My dad works at Nintendo" text leaks are taken seriously again and a Nintendo tweet about an upcoming game is being viewed as a Smash-related clue.

I think it's high time we reeled ourselves in a bit, because this is getting pretty ridiculous.
I love how many likes this post has. It deserves a hell of a lot more though.

But try as you might Burb, this sort of thing is going to get worse as time goes on. I guarantee after DLC has fizzled out and come to a sensible end we're going to get "NEW SMASH DLC IN NEXT DIRECT" leaks.
I'm glad there are others here who recognize it - We've wandered into territory that is as dangerous as it is cringeworthy.

Please, everyone, take a good look at what you're doing. You're going out to Twitter - a medium which, I will remind everyone, restricts your posts to 140 characters - and looking for the tiniest hint that somebody - anybody - knows something - anything - about Smash.

Here's the workflow I've observed:
A vague comment about Nintendo news or a photo completely unrelated to Smash is noticed.
The tweet is linked here.
Tangential meaning is linked between the tweet and Smash.
You guys flock to Twitter in droves and hound the poster to be more specific.
From there, one of a few things happens:
  1. The poster responds, completely oblivious to what you're actually asking for, and accidentally says something that sounds even more like what you want it to mean.
  2. The poster realizes you're taking what they've said to mean the wrong thing, so they hide the post. This is in turn taken as an admission of guilt and treated as "more evidence."
  3. The poster is actively trolling you and has fun baiting you along because they know you're going to come in here and bait the rest of us along with you.
The end result is everyone watching this debacle gets confused, Twitter posters are put off because of all the unwarranted browbeating and harassment that resulted from the confusion, and all of us present are left with a terrible reputation.

You guys begged for news. Tama came in here and gave us news. You hounded him until he got fed up and wrote us all off. You think we'll be able to rely on him for news next time? I wouldn't blame him if he didn't give us a second thought.
Yacht Club Games has stated a few things that were either intentionally teasing or genuinely being a good sport. You guys browbeat them into a game of "Let's see what they respond with THIS time."
Wayforward removed a photo of a dev with Sakurai because somebody tracked it down from MONTHS ago and started hammering them for details.
A couple of guys from NeoGAF or Gamefaqs or whatever are now teasing you with itty bitty details. Given all of the above, what do you think the chances are that their entire endgame is to troll us because we've demonstrated how gullible we are?
Now we have people within this very thread making the classic "I know a guy who works at Nintendo," and we're actually listening to them??

What's going on right now is not 'leak busting.' It's just sad.

That's the thing, it isn't a 4chan leak. It's a Twitter leak.
Don't ask me why, but that makes it better.
4chan posts are anonymous, while Twitter isn't. In this case, we know who the people are, and can scrutinise what they say and force them to own up and apologise if they're lying.

And the people who are saying the stuff risk unnecessary damage to their reputation if they indeed are lying. So people are willing to put a little more stock into this. (That's what I think, anyway.)

:231:
I disagree. I would rather have a 4chan leak than whatever it is we're doing now.

Let me bring up the 140 character limit again. In not-so-many characters, a PR rep or a dev or someone has to figure out a way to reply to an inquiry for information that a) does not violate a NDA, b) does not alienate fans, c) does not discount the possibility that what they're asking for can't happen some day, d) keep fans interested and buzzing, e) doesn't imply fans are getting something that isn't actually happening f) doesn't send a signal to other companies that they are untrustworthy g) does send a signal to fans and other companies that they are open-minded and easy to work with... I could go on. Imagine being in this position while dozens of people are hammering you with very specific questions about a very specific feature that either doesn't exist, or you're not allowed to talk about, hour after hour after hour.

What happens is you run out of ways to vaguely avoid the question, and then the people you've been responding to start drawing conclusions you never meant out of things you've stated purely to get them off your back.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the 'Self-Fulfilling Prophecy.' All of the conclusions present that have been drawn from a Twitter post have been extrapolated by reading between the lines at the fine print between what's vaguely stated and what's not being said outright, and somehow this tenuous process is being treated as hard evidence.

Twitter is a TERRIBLE format for conveying information that isn't in the form of a video or an image, and it's even worse for those of us begging for info - why? Because that begging is public.

Perhaps I'm off base with that assessment, but at the very least, the way we're using Twitter right now is not producing results. On the contrary, it's producing bad press for all of us - even those of us not engaging in these shenanigans.

Each and every one of us should be held accountable for the respect - or lack thereof - that we as a group show the outside world.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"This is going to be an EO character"
*opens spoiler*
"yup" :rolleyes:
I'll play one of those games one of these days
Oh geez, you guys know me SO well

You know what I did with the Viridi costume?
You guessed it
An EO character!

Just download one of the demos on the eshop already

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
I mean Roger used to work at Nintendo apparently, so if he does actually say who it is he can get in some serious ****. He's not even looming it over anyone or even claiming it's Smash-related, he was just really excited about something Nintendo-related that he learned about and wished he could tell people. I mean, the other guys are kinda looming it over a little bit by claiming they learned Smash stuff and that apparently that's the news Roger knows, but also realize that if they DO tell anyone, it will be proof that Roger talked which means whoever he learned it from that still works at Nintendo will be in deep trouble. Even if it's BS and they don't actually know who it is, these guys are actually being way more professional by not telling people who they think it is, because if it's true, it would go right back to Roger, which would get other people in trouble.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I don't see K. Rool and Dixie as being like Wolf and Krystal. I see them being more like King Dedede and Meta Knight.

Ezequieleste

Smash Apprentice
Sorry about what happened Tama Tama , don't let that get into you. Keep up the good job with Unseen 64, I do really appreciate your findings

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I disagree. I would rather have a 4chan leak than whatever it is we're doing now.

Let me bring up the 140 character limit again. In not-so-many characters, a PR rep or a dev or someone has to figure out a way to reply to an inquiry for information that a) does not violate a NDA, b) does not alienate fans, c) does not discount the possibility that what they're asking for can't happen some day, d) keep fans interested and buzzing, e) doesn't imply fans are getting something that isn't actually happening f) doesn't send a signal to other companies that they are untrustworthy g) does send a signal to fans and other companies that they are open-minded and easy to work with... I could go on. Imagine being in this position while dozens of people are hammering you with very specific questions about a very specific feature that either doesn't exist, or you're not allowed to talk about, hour after hour after hour.

What happens is you run out of ways to vaguely avoid the question, and then the people you've been responding to start drawing conclusions you never meant out of things you've stated purely to get them off your back.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the 'Self-Fulfilling Prophecy.' All of the conclusions present that have been drawn from a Twitter post have been extrapolated by reading between the lines at the fine print between what's vaguely stated and what's not being said outright, and somehow this tenuous process is being treated as hard evidence.

Twitter is a TERRIBLE format for conveying information that isn't in the form of a video or an image, and it's even worse for those of us begging for info - why? Because that begging is public.

Perhaps I'm off base with that assessment, but at the very least, the way we're using Twitter right now is not producing results. On the contrary, it's producing bad press for all of us - even those of us not engaging in these shenanigans.

Each and every one of us should be held accountable for the respect - or lack thereof - that we as a group show the outside world.
Thanks for using my post to make a generalization that doesn't really apply to me.
I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
That is a great statement. I support all 4 characters because they are unique fighter that can bring something new to the roster. If they all got in along with maybe Isaac, Simon Belmont(bias:)) and Impa then it's a complete roster to me.

I never got he idea of character rivalries. One character doesn't hold another back. In my belief, one doesn't hurt the other and would be great if both sides just get a rep for their franchise
Thanks! I support them all as well, though I favor the Star Fox characters a more. Isaac and Impa or an my list too. If I get Wolf, Krystal, and at least one DK rep, Isaac and Impa are pretty much my next choices. Simon would be a good Snake replacement though I've not put much support into the Konami stuff since there's so many question marks there. Oh, and I support Shantae a lot too, but I don't think she'll get in and I understand that she's probably not ready yet. If we do get an indie though, she's the one.

DK and Star Fox have a unique situation since they're really the only two franchises with two highly requested characters, at least according the most comprehensive polls. Rool and Wolf appear to be top contenders if not the top two and Dixie and Krystal often round out the top 10 or appear just outside it. I think the next franchise that has two or more contenders in popularity is Mario with Paper Mario and Toad/Waluigi/Daisy. The difference being that Paper Mario is usually a few places outside the top 10 and the other three are usually just outside the top 20. Basically, there's only really two franchises I could see getting two characters as DLC... Star Fox and DK. Even so, that depends on probably at least 5 to 10 more DLC characters. 6 seems like the boarder number between realistic and unrealistic however, at least imo.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
The greatest text wall I've had the pleasure of reading.
Dude. THANK YOU.
News is going to happen when it happens guys. Ryu and Roy leak spoiled us, BADLY. Stuff that we would never give the time of day leading up to Melee/Brawl/Smash 4 is now suddenly the basis of almost all of our conversations. NONE of this is credible, not even by a margin. This needs to stop. Not to mention all the hounding of people making completely innocent comments and tweets.
We waited more than a year for Smash 4. We waited almost 6 months for Mewtwo. We can wait for the ballot.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
So, one of the supposed "leakers" apparently answered some more questions.
upload_2015-10-7_17-17-4.png

upload_2015-10-7_17-17-58.png

Yep. It's 100% confirmed

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Okay, seriously what the flying crap is going on? I'm gone for a bit, then suddenly I see fire in the sky and Hell on the streets. I mean, good God. It's a freaking text leak; is this really going to be the thing where name games happen and we devolve into childishness? Because I for one ain't sticking around for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom