• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
I strongly believe that all the characters we will see from now on are ballot related. Shovel Knight included.
I had that feeling as well, but depending on when we see the characters released... I think many people would actually get very pissed off at Nintendo if they found out they were working on ballot characters that far ahead of time. Especially people who possibly voted later in the ballot. (people would want to know what time development on them started, and it might actually be bad publicity for Nintendo if the ballot DLC was started on very soon after the ballot opened.) Because then it's kinda like.. "what was the point of the half-year long ballot if you made up your minds so far ahead of time?"
Unless maybe they decided on characters at different times during the ballot based on results and whatnot. That does actually make sense instead of waiting all this time to get started. I just mean more like I'm sure Nintendo will get crap from some people if they started the DLC before the ballot ended.

Edit: Then again Nintendo is going to get crap for whatever characters come from the ballot anyway, since they can't please everyone.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I had that feeling as well, but depending on when we see the characters released... I think many people would actually get very pissed off at Nintendo if they found out they were working on ballot characters that far ahead of time. Especially people who possibly voted later in the ballot. (people would want to know what time development on them started, and it might actually be bad publicity for Nintendo if the ballot DLC was started on very soon after the ballot opened.) Because then it's kinda like.. "what was the point of the half-year long ballot if you made up your minds so far ahead of time?"
Unless maybe they decided on characters at different times during the ballot based on results and whatnot. That does actually make sense instead of waiting all this time to get started. I just mean more like I'm sure Nintendo will get crap from some people if they started the DLC before the ballot ended.
On the contrary, maybe that's the reason for the third slot - they might've planned for two (one "early," one later), but found enough interest on somebody in particular to warrant a third.

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
On the contrary, maybe that's the reason for the third slot - they might've planned for two (one "early," one later), but found enough interest on somebody in particular to warrant a third.
Well that's why I said "maybe they decided characters at different times during the ballot" though.... I don't really think that's so much "on the contrary" unless you just missed that part. haha

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I take it your confidence in SK is still sitting at about 50%?
70-80%.

Edit: Then again Nintendo is going to get crap for whatever characters come from the ballot anyway, since they can't please everyone.
This isn't targeted at you OurBraveHero OurBraveHero , at this point I'm just ranting in general. Please don't take it personally.

To be blunt: people are stupid. Nintendo and Sakurai didn't sign a contract saying that they would wait until October 4th, 2015 to start developing ballot characters. The whole "they need to wait until the end of the ballot" notion is purely petty fanboys who will be bitter that their character of choice didn't get in. Sorry, but your character was never going to "win" the ballot. The ballot is NOT a popularity contest. It's a suggestion box, blah blah blah. I voted on the last day for the character I want -- 9-Volt. The rationale is because this data WILL be used for future games. It says so in Japanese. So if your character didn't get in, then don't worry. They have a shot in the next game (whenever that is).

Like I said two posts ago, characters take a super long time to make...especially since the development team has shrunk. The team isn't going to stick around forever; Smash DLC money is pretty sweet -- but eventually Bandai Namco will be able to make more money by allocating the teams to work on other projects. Sakurai doesn't fully own the team, and I'm sure there's some sort of deadline for everything. Smash fans always want more, more, more so people are going to be bitter no matter what. Which is a shame, because Smash is such a wonderful game that has a lot of effort put into it.

(Edit: Sorry I tagged the wrong user for the second quote!)

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
To put it bluntly, Konami may not even be around as a video game company by then. Bomberman's (and all Konami reps') time is running out.

Unless someone buys up all the IPs... it's not like they're being used for anything other than pachinko machines these days.
I know that, and I love Bomberman and Snake, but I really hope that Konami'll be back by Smash 5...

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Konami is gonna stick with gaming but the issue of whether or not they are sticking to core gaming like consoles, PC and handhelds or just going to be in the mobile business

That's the biggest problem that we are seeing with them.

Plus we don't know if they are gonna stick around in a market to where they don't dominate as much like with their pachinko machines, workout centers and most other mediums including Yugioh.

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
70-80%.

This isn't targeted at you OurBraveHero OurBraveHero , at this point I'm just ranting in general. Please don't take it personally.

To be blunt: people are stupid. Nintendo and Sakurai didn't sign a contract saying that they would wait until October 4th, 2015 to start developing ballot characters. The whole "they need to wait until the end of the ballot" notion is purely petty fanboys who will be bitter that their character of choice didn't get in. Sorry, but your character was never going to "win" the ballot. The ballot is NOT a popularity contest. It's a suggestion box, blah blah blah. I voted on the last day for the character I want -- 9-Volt. The rationale is because this data WILL be used for future games. It says so in Japanese. So if your character didn't get in, then don't worry. They have a shot in the next game (whenever that is).

Like I said two posts ago, characters take a super long time to make...especially since the development team has shrunk. The team isn't going to stick around forever; Smash DLC money is pretty sweet -- but eventually Bandai Namco will be able to make more money by allocating the teams to work on other projects. Sakurai doesn't fully own the team, and I'm sure there's some sort of deadline for everything. Smash fans always want more, more, more so people are going to be bitter no matter what. Which is a shame, because Smash is such a wonderful game that has a lot of effort put into it.

(Edit: Sorry I tagged the wrong user for the second quote!)
I totally agree with you on the timeframe thing, and yeah I didn't take it personally at all. haha I do totally agree with you that they should have been allowed to develop the ballot characters ahead of time. I mean I'm sure the majority of the votes were within the month of it opening anyway. Although, knowing there were a flood of ballots shoved in this past week; it'd be cool to think they picked a final character during the end.

But yeah, I do doubt that they haven't been working on any characters this whole time; so if these three are all ballot-related it does seem more likely they were focusing more on the suggestions they got early on in the ballot when it was blowing up after announcement. Maybe two early on, and a third decided more recently.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

2 months left I'm dying

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
@BluePikmin11 and my polls are now CLOSED. Since there is a lot of data, please give us a couple days to tally up the results.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
The whole "they need to wait until the end of the ballot" notion is purely petty fanboys who will be bitter that their character of choice didn't get in.
Nope, I can't disagree with this enough. It makes perfect sense that they'd wait until all the data is collected before making a decision. This is a ludicrous generalization.

Like I said two posts ago, characters take a super long time to make...especially since the development team has shrunk.
You're making definitive statements on things you have no experience with. By suggesting Mewtwo took all of November to April, you're operating under the assumption that characters get released as soon as they're finished, which is just not the case. Lucas was in a polished, playable state before Mewtwo was even released, as the trailer makes obvious, and yet he didn't release for another two months. People tried to argue Roy and Ryu would not be coming with Lucas when they leaked, but after, by saying the same thing. "Characters take too long to make." But they all dropped at once. The team may be downsized, but the scope of the project is, too. They're not programming two whole games from scratch and making a dozen random game modes. They're just making a few extra stages (most of them ports) and a couple of characters.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean we said stages took a long time so we shouldn't expect too much, but we already got 8 stages post release with at least three more coming.

I agree with vaanrose vaanrose

PushDustIn PushDustIn you are underestimating Sakurai's team and are frankly speaking in definites where we don't know much of anything. That is unless you know more than you let on.

Moreover, what's with the petty fanboy talk and bluntly calling people stupid. Push, that's out of character for you.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
So I kept hearing about Undertale so much that I looked it up.

I appreciate what it's doing, but between this and Eversion it seems like the indie-stry is about to fall into that trap of assuming that making a game a deconstruction makes it good. I would rather a more balanced perspective.

Heroes can still be violent without being evil or antiheroes, but just because someone looks like a hero and calls themselves one doesn't mean they are one. "Hero" can be just a word sometimes. And it can mean more other times. There can be powerful, creepy good guys. There can be supposedly cute and innocent but sociopathic bad guys. But there can also be cute good guys and creepy bad guys. It's not what you look like who makes you who you are. It's who your are inside that counts.

Why can't a video game just have a message like that instead of simply "bad guys are bad" or "if you kill opponents, you are an unforgivable sociopath?" Granted, there should be more times in games where the hero actually can stop a fight that doesn't need to happen, but avoiding all fights is avoiding the fact that some people -not just the player, mind you- are too far gone to be redeemed.

Khoru

Smash Champion
I appreciate what it's doing, but between this and Eversion it seems like the indie-stry is about to fall into that trap of assuming that making a game a deconstruction makes it good. I would rather a more balanced perspective.
eversion came out like eight years ago?

also yeah i can see what you're saying. i mean, to me, it's sort of like... i'm a bit reluctant to make this comparison, but it's sort of like chrono trigger? in being a game that doesn't really do much new for itself, but executes cliched elements particularly well.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
So I kept hearing about Undertale so much that I looked it up.

Heroes can still be violent without being evil or antiheroes, but just because someone looks like a hero and calls themselves one doesn't mean they are one. "Hero" can be just a word sometimes. And it can mean more other times. There can be powerful, creepy good guys. There can be supposedly cute and innocent but sociopathic bad guys. But there can also be cute good guys and creepy bad guys. It's not what you look like who makes you who you are. It's who your are inside that counts.

Why can't a video game just have a message like that instead of simply "bad guys are bad" or "if you kill opponents, you are an unforgivable sociopath?" Granted, there should be more times in games where the hero actually can stop a fight that doesn't need to happen, but avoiding all fights is avoiding the fact that some people -not just the player, mind you- are too far gone to be redeemed.
thing is in undertale your not a hero your a kid who falls into a cave and (if you decide to kill enemies) starts murdering all sentient life. someones not a hero just because they are the main character heroes are defined by their actions murdering innocents dosent strike me as heroic

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
thing is in undertale your not a hero your a kid who falls into a cave and (if you decide to kill enemies) starts murdering all sentient life. someones not a hero just because they are the main character heroes are defined by their actions murdering innocents dosent strike me as heroic
Well no. And in that universe, they're all innocent. But there's an assumption that others have often run with that it reminded me of that all RPG protagonists and video game characters in general are inherently evil for doing battle and all the other things they do, when in reality you have to judge on a case-by-case basis.
eversion came out like eight years ago?

also yeah i can see what you're saying. i mean, to me, it's sort of like... i'm a bit reluctant to make this comparison, but it's sort of like chrono trigger? in being a game that doesn't really do much new for itself, but executes cliched elements particularly well.
I. . .had no idea it was that old, TBH. Could have fooled me. It seemed just like all the other sprite games being pumped out within the past couple of years, so I jumped to conclusions.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Well no. And in that universe, they're all innocent. But there's an assumption that others have often run with that it reminded me of that all RPG protagonists and video game characters in general are inherently evil for doing battle and all the other things they do, when in reality you have to judge on a case-by-case basis.

I. . .had no idea it was that old, TBH. Could have fooled me. It seemed just like all the other sprite games being pumped out within the past couple of years, so I jumped to conclusions.
ya under tale is the first game in years to actually do the whole subversion of expectations

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Nintendo hates PM so much that you'll get banned for using the PM acronym on Miiverse
Even if you're talking about Paper Mario
There is no way in hell they would associate with what is to them "criminal activity"
Paper Mario is surely criminal, I mean, he helped a goomba to get delivrered a package and that goomba was doing bad stuff I think :)

.....ok seriously I really hope the new CEO does changes their policy, it's ridiculous. I got that since they shut down some tases, I am still upset that they duid that like really......it's benefitial to them and they jsut "nope!".

I can get that being conservatives has some advantages, but c'mon, this is going too far......

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
So did Nintendo announce that the Smash Ballot was over or no? Since the site is still up I'm kinda confused.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
If I might interject into all of this, but I kind of agree with Push here. I know nothing about development of characters and stages, so I won't run my mouth there, but I will acknowledge the fact that there are problems within the Smash fanbase. Heck, we just talked on those facts when discussing the Character Discussion Threads (Shulk discussion thread is the best though, if any of you guys are reading this, love ya', and sorry I don't visit the conversation as much as I used to).

Some people are too obsessed with some of these characters, and talk about nothing but these characters. There's only so many times you can hear the same propaganda spread about a character that it gets old. People see characters as borderline confirmed for this game for no other reason than their personal bias makes it so. And when that character doesn't get in, or people disagree with that character choice, they get mad and lash out, and that's not pretty at all. It's the ONE problem I have with the Smash Bros fanbase. During speculation, I was an avid supporter of Shulk. I thought he was really likely, and I'll even say that I judged leaks based on the sole fact of whether they had him in it or not. However, I knew the fact that he might not get in, and I even saw that as likeliest back when Takamaru was revealed as an AT. If he didn't get in, was I going to rant and curse on the internet and boycott the game? No, I was still going to go out and buy the game because I loved Brawl, and I knew I'd love this game too. At that point, we'd already gotten Megaman, Palutena, Robin, all of which were characters I supported. The lack of one character wouldn't diminish the fact that they were there and I could still play as them alongside all the amazing characters I didn't even know I wanted prior to their reveal. People hinge so much on just one or a couple of characters, and it's ridiculous. It's almost as if their life depends on those characters getting in, and they'd fight to tooth and nail to ensure that. People like this are all over the fanbase, and I'd venture to say that there are people like that within this thread. While I can understand supporting a character for various reasons, I can't understand the obsessiveness of people when supporting a character. I've said that before and I'll say it as many times as the issue comes up. If people aren't going to stop complaining because they overrated a character's chances, then why don't they just enjoy the game as it is, or find another better way to spend their time instead of cursing and ranting on the internet?

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
ya under tale is the first game in years to actually do the whole subversion of expectations
If it's the first game "in years", do you know of any other games from further back?

I just. . . suddenly feel like checking to see if there are any other subversion games with TVTropes pages to read.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So did Nintendo announce that the Smash Ballot was over or no? Since the site is still up I'm kinda confused.
October 3rd still has five minutes over on the Pacific side of things.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If I might interject into all of this, but I kind of agree with Push here. I know nothing about development of characters and stages, so I won't run my mouth there, but I will acknowledge the fact that there are problems within the Smash fanbase. Heck, we just talked on those facts when discussing the Character Discussion Threads (Shulk discussion thread is the best though, if any of you guys are reading this, love ya', and sorry I don't visit the conversation as much as I used to).

Some people are too obsessed with some of these characters, and talk about nothing but these characters. There's only so many times you can hear the same propaganda spread about a character that it gets old. People see characters as borderline confirmed for this game for no other reason than their personal bias makes it so. And when that character doesn't get in, or people disagree with that character choice, they get mad and lash out, and that's not pretty at all. It's the ONE problem I have with the Smash Bros fanbase. During speculation, I was an avid supporter of Shulk. I thought he was really likely, and I'll even say that I judged leaks based on the sole fact of whether they had him in it or not. However, I knew the fact that he might not get in, and I even saw that as likeliest back when Takamaru was revealed as an AT. If he didn't get in, was I going to rant and curse on the internet and boycott the game? No, I was still going to go out and buy the game because I loved Brawl, and I knew I'd love this game too. At that point, we'd already gotten Megaman, Palutena, Robin, all of which were characters I supported. The lack of one character wouldn't diminish the fact that they were there and I could still play as them alongside all the amazing characters I didn't even know I wanted prior to their reveal. People hinge so much on just one or a couple of characters, and it's ridiculous. It's almost as if their life depends on those characters getting in, and they'd fight to tooth and nail to ensure that. People like this are all over the fanbase, and I'd venture to say that there are people like that within this thread. While I can understand supporting a character for various reasons, I can't understand the obsessiveness of people when supporting a character. I've said that before and I'll say it as many times as the issue comes up. If people aren't going to stop complaining because they overrated a character's chances, then why don't they just enjoy the game as it is, or find another better way to spend their time instead of cursing and ranting on the internet?
Bro.

These holier than thou posts don't help the problem they address.

I know what you're trying to say, but this isn't saying it very well.

It's telling people to shut up which is just as problematic as blind complaining.

Last edited:

Khoru

Smash Champion
If it's the first game "in years", do you know of any other games from further back?

I just. . . suddenly feel like checking to see if there are any other subversion games with TVTropes pages to read.
OFF, maybe?
i can't exactly tell if games like it are something you're trying to avoid though

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
OFF, maybe?
i can't exactly tell if games like it are something you're trying to avoid though
Not really play or avoid, just look for TV Tropes pages to browse.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
"We decided to extend the length of the ballot into next year, in case you didn't get your votes in within the 6 month period."

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Just playing Smash 3DS recently. I just noticed that they removed small room in Reset Bomb Forest.

The small platform with wall and ceiling which formed a small room in last phase of the stage got removed which surprised me. Did anyone reported this yet?

Apparently they just removed the monster that usually shown up in the stage since I haven't seen it respawn yet.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Just playing Smash 3DS recently. I just noticed that they removed small room in Reset Bomb Forest.

The small platform with wall and ceiling which formed a small room in last phase of the stage got removed which surprised me. Did anyone reported this yet?

Apparently they just removed the monster that usually shown up in the stage since I haven't seen it respawn yet.
What?

Picture please.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Nope, I can't disagree with this enough. It makes perfect sense that they'd wait until all the data is collected before making a decision. This is a ludicrous generalization.

You're making definitive statements on things you have no experience with. By suggesting Mewtwo took all of November to April, you're operating under the assumption that characters get released as soon as they're finished, which is just not the case. Lucas was in a polished, playable state before Mewtwo was even released, as the trailer makes obvious, and yet he didn't release for another two months. People tried to argue Roy and Ryu would not be coming with Lucas when they leaked, but after, by saying the same thing. "Characters take too long to make." But they all dropped at once. The team may be downsized, but the scope of the project is, too. They're not programming two whole games from scratch and making a dozen random game modes. They're just making a few extra stages (most of them ports) and a couple of characters.
I really don't think it's such a ludicrous generalization. Most DLC development have only last less than a year after release. After a certain point, they are developing and selling, what accounts to be a essentially a separate game. The current cost of ALL the DLC is well over 30 dollars now. When are they going to stop?

They could be holding characters back, but I doubt it as the characters are balanced against each other. Therefore, it makes sense to release characters together, instead of releasing the character + balance patch in piece meals. Also, updating the Nintendo server is probably somewhat costly so they are probably limiting the updates as much as possible. The August DLC was released early, why? The "news" drought was unprecedented in DLC development -- we had no new information at all. I really don't think they are "holding" back.

As I stated before, I really think we are underestimating the amount of work that goes into character development. Pre-production lasted well over a year, before the roster was finalized. Sakurai does an incredible amount of work imagining the characters. Also, you stated that:
They're not programming two whole games from scratch and making a dozen random game modes. They're just making a few extra stages
They are making characters for two versions. I believe the engines had to be remade for each version, which is why even though the characters play the same way, they need to be programmed differently. This is why version exclusive glitches still occur. It's not a simple port, they need to do some additional programming. Furthermore, each version needs to be tested, and tested again. As they include more characters, the amount of testing is raised exponentially. For more information about testing, I'd suggest reading Sakurai's Famitsu Column on it.

I mean we said stages took a long time so we shouldn't expect too much, but we already got 8 stages post release with at least three more coming.

I agree with vaanrose vaanrose

PushDustIn PushDustIn you are underestimating Sakurai's team and are frankly speaking in definites where we don't know much of anything. That is unless you know more than you let on.

Moreover, what's with the petty fanboy talk and bluntly calling people stupid. Push, that's out of character for you.
I'm just annoyed by the whole notion of 'having to wait until the ballot over'. Plus, I didn't drink coffee when I wrote that original post so I might've been a little cranky :p.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
What?

Picture please.
Apparently, it's false alert because someone at neogaf tried same thing as I did. It still loaded up Skeleton Fish and that mini room for him. However he did it with three computers.

It's weird how it glitched on me twice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom