• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

tbh, the first sec I read the twitter thing with the pic I instantly thought "fake" :)

seriously, I am not THAT naive (.....although I was with the stage....).
Oh god I remember that fake stage.

I didn't pay attention to ANYTHING from Smash 4 during the time so I actually bought that fake Miiverse post.

Not my brightest moment.

Chrono.

https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/jp/

Why is this still up

It's currently 10/4 in Japan, 10:29 AM

Sakurai what are you doing
So either
  • They're waiting for all the timezones to hit 10/4
  • They're actually not accepting votes even though the website appears fine
  • They might be waiting for Sakurai to make a comment on it before shutting it down
  • They forgot lol
Either way I'm ready for the anticlimax.

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
They probably wait until it's the 4th in the last timezone.
This would be in about 9 hours.
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting Hawaii is like 2 or 3 hours behind PST. I always think of PST as the last timezone. GEEZ HAWAII. GET YOUR $#&* TOGETHER!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Oh god I remember that fake stage.

I didn't pay attention to ANYTHING from Smash 4 during the time so I actually bought that fake Miiverse post.

Not my brightest moment.
...no

I meant the actual stage that was announced, I basically went super overkill in prediction with it and it went into insanity.

This is the only time I admit that I freaking messed my bias up, at least I learned now.....

Btw, you were talking about support threads and here's a thing: the Paper Mario one is not much heard of because it's msotly silent.

pre release, it had a lot going on because I tried to make it alive, and it was mostly realyl good. The only time I would say the thread was kinda bad is after ESRB video where there was dr mario flamming (I really hate when this happens btw).

Just for fun and just because the ballot is about to end = I would driop my sig, how good the OP I made was?

http://smashboards.com/threads/thin...now-playable-in-mario-luigi-paper-jam.324473/

Because to be frank, I still consider it one of the best OP if I check the other supports thread as I had to mess a lot with images. :)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
PALUTENA!

SAVE THE WORLD FROM ZAIRO! :4palutena:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Just beinging this twenty pages forward to the new page. I thought it was quite a good post but it had the misfortune of being one of the dreaded last-page posts, so I'll try again now!

Heyo!

Since there's a lot of discussion about the Ballot Fighters 4Chan rumor VS. the Shovel Knight rumor, I'd like to present my theory. I'm aware that this is already treaded ground, but there's a lot of black-and-white viewing going on right now, so I'd like to try and bring the shades of grey in between (inb4 non-relevant 50 Shades joke) to the forefront, if for nothing else than for more healthy discussion and debate. I'll also be speaking from the assumption that these rumors are true.

So, to begin, I'd like to clear up this misconception that both rumors somehow can't coexist and if there's any legitimacy to them only one can be true and the other fake. Basically, the misconception that they're mutually exclusive.

Because they're not.

First off, nowhere in the 4chan rumor was it ever stated that there weren't more characters. Keep in mind, the specific phrasing used was that the leaker "heard information about the upcoming ballot DLC". Ballot DLC. The first three planned Ballot characters. Not only does that not bar the possibility for more later on (If character packs are still 4 characters each, then I can see 3 more, I'll explain why later on), it also fails to account for the two pre-ballot slots that have been in planning since Mewtwo was added.

Everything we've heard about Shovel Knight, to my knowledge, suggests that he is a pre-ballot character, having been worked on for a while. Being pre-ballot, he is in no danger of having all the evidence points towards his inclusion automatically discredited because a 4chan leak describing post-ballot characters doesn't include him as a pre-ballot character. On the same token, the Shovel Knight rumor doesn't discredit the 4chan leak because Shovel Knight is pre-ballot, has been in planning for a while, and we've only heard about the ballot DLC within the last month while The SK rumor has been around for a while longer and was in part based off of, IIRC, Amazon insider info rather than sources within or close to Nintendo workers, making it understandable that Tama wouldn't have any info on other characters.

Now, with that misconception cleared up, we have a minimum of five characters coming - two pre-ballot and three post-ballot. Now, there's a few reasons for me saying this. The biggest reason, of course, is the two 'Mario' slots. They've been there in the coding since Mewtwo, suggesting that the characters that will eventually take their spot have been at lest planned since the time Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were being worked on. And while some have already presented the thought that the slots were just debugging test slots or unused space, this doesn't make since when we look at the third a lot added with the new patch. No matter what the use is, they wouldn't add a third slot unless they were planning to use it, meaning we have at least three characters. But if they're planing a third character, that means they already were planning a first and second character for the two slots. I understand that some may counter that the slots could be empty and all three are just for the Ballot DLC, but I've said it before here and I'll say it again: if they can add new slots as any time, especially as evidenced now by the addition of another slot, there's absolutely no reason Nintendo would have jumped the shark and added two post-ballot slots to their coding if they were just gonna sit on them for six months until the ballot ended. Those slots were there because they were already assigned to characters, so any slots we get beyond those are definitely Ballot DLC. Which makes two pre-ballot, and with the Ballot DLC added three, that makes five.

'But wait,' you may be asking, 'why weren't there three slots added then?' A very good question, and I would never have the answer obviously, so I can only work with the facts (and the assumption for the purposes of this post that both rumors are legit). How I see it is that the newly-added a lot belongs to Wolf. Why? Because he's the easiest to make. As mentioned by the 4chan leak, Wolf was already being seriously considered for pre-ballot DLC, but it was his super high placing in the ballot itself that solidified his chances for being made DLC, albeit as a ballot choice. Being a veteran and a semi-clone in the same way as Lucas, Wolf would be, especially
In comparison to Bomberman and K. Rool, extremely quick and easy to make. Lucas was also basically completely done by the time they revealed him as evidenced by how complete he looked. Yhat Wolf as a combination of all the above would be started before the ballot finished and sometime in the past month since the last update is not surprising in the least. And it's been often said and speculated and predicted, but with Star Fox Zero originally intended to come out in November, a month away from now, from a promotional standpoint Wolf makes the most sense of the three to come first, liking with Shovel Knight whose Amiibo is scheduled IIRC to come out in November sometime around the release of Falco and Mewtwo's.

Bomberman isn't so random a choice as you may think. I see the three ballot choices as a good mix - a veteran, a highly-requested Nintendo newcomer, and a 3rd-party with a good history with Nintendo. Bomberman, as the latter, does a good job of filling that description. Bomberman is one of the most Nintendo-like franchises that aren't owned by Nintendo, and indeed, Hudson was a major Nintendo supporter in times past before they were bought by Konami, with Bomberman their mascot character. While Bomberman hasn't garnered the support of Snake on the forums (for understandable reasons, but also keep in mind that the forums represent a small fraction of the most hardcore fans, and the Western ones at that), he makes more sense from a couple angles. One, he fits better into Smash than Snake. Two, Snake was added because Sakurai and Kojima are friends, so the stuff going on right now between Konami and Kojima over the Metal Gear series definitely does not lend itself to Sakurai or Nintendo negotiating with Konami for Snake's rights again. They definitely could, however, go to them for Bomberman, who besides Simon Belmont and Snake is probably the most recognizable character Konami has the rights too, and also has a huge history with Nintendo (Bomberman 64, IMO, is one of the best games ever on Nintendo consoles). Three, his moveset lends itself well to Smash. I personally don't see the Snake moveset comment as an issue, because it was said that only some attacks were taken from Snake, and it never specified which (for all we know it could be all A attacks and not specials at all). Rest assured that Bomberman wouldn't be Snake in a different proportioned body. After all, he best character to take Snakes moveset in its entirety, with some small tweaks, is Sami from Advance Wars.

I can see some people getting to this point already getting hung up on King K. Rool from the standpoint that the leak said that he looks like his Mii costume, but the leaker not knowing which came first. 'Obviously,' they may think, 'the third slot belongs to K. Rool because he already has a basis to work from because of the costume', while others probably think along the lines of: 'Well he's popular and obviously he's been in production for awhile because the Mii costume was based from his model!' But hold your horses! Being a newcomer, K. Rool would understandably take longer than Wolf to make, and this is a good thing as it means he'll be unique and not exactly cloned from anybody else necessarily. He also, like Bomberman, doesn't have the benefit of a new game on his side (that's been announced anyways; the biggest part of the leak actually is the non-Smash info, namely, that there's a new Donkey Kong game in the works and it's implied feature K. Rool, hence part of why he's being included to promote the DK series) like Wolf does, nor does he have a game in his series in general releasing the near future like Wolf does/did. If the order of the three characters is any actual indication, he'd be the last of the three to release if not at the same time as Bomberman and/or Wolf.

Shovel Knight, of course, has been beaten to death. With a shovel. The shenanigans with Yacht Club Games' Twitter feed and then going silent and awkwardly reshuffling their plans amidst the lack of his reveal on the release of the patch is actually fairly interesting, and alongside all the evidence that's come up in support of his inclusion alongside Tama's original rumor makes him fairly likely, with a release either this month or in November coinciding with the Amiibo release.

Of course, I said five characters, and I've only talked about four. We still have one more pre-ballot character to consider. That character is Professor Layton. We've already had a rumor about his inclusion with the whole VA thing (for those not in the loop, someone asked Layton's VA on Twitter about his IMDB being updated anonymously to say he voiced Layton in Smash. He replied no, but about a month later randomly changes his mind to maybe, reflecting on it and considering that he did some extra sound bytes like growls, grunts, and yells during a recording session for another project that may actually have been for Smash. He was unsure of what they were meant to be used for and that's as far as I've heard), and for his VA to potentially record voiceover work for him means that not only is he pre-ballot as that story played out in August, possibly even July (I can't remember for sure); but he's also very far along in the design and implementing process, as voiceover work is usually one of the last things to be done while working on a character IIRC, albeit that he recorded the lines conveniently during another session. We've had VA's give away voicing characters in Smash before (Shulk's VA, for example), so it isn't too unbelievable a thought.

Now, that leaves five characters, but wait! We can't have five characters in a character bundle when the first and only one we've gotten has four! We can't have two and three characters in two separate bundles either for the same reason! This is definitely only my own personal speculation and based on nothing but the four characters to a bundle, but if we have five characters, then that means that one character gets left out of the bundle. It would stand to reason, then, that there would need to be at least three more characters to completely a third bundle. As for who those characters are, I cannot say, though the four obvious candidates by popularity are Isaac, Dixie Kong, the Inklings and Bandana Dee, with Toad, Impa, Chibi-Robo and another 3rd-party being less-likely choices. To see 12 DLC fighters would be awesome, and while I don't exactly put stock in the idea as reality, my ideal final number is 16 (48+16=64, DLC=1/4 of the roster, 64 is the highest number of entrants in a tourney, meaning every non-Mii character can be represented without leaving anyone out or doubling up, etc.) but I'll take whatever we get, and even the five we'd be getting is
pretty awesome top of the four we already have, on top of the base roster!

And as far as the stages go, so don't have an explanation for Tikibuzz. It obviously ties into DK/K. Rool potentially but could also
mean that a DK stage is being ported too. The slot above Mario Maker was in the files since Mewtwo, but was only renamed in the past month. We can assume that every 3rd-party is getting their own stage, so Shovel Knight take the two new slots while the old one was probably meant for Pirate Ship but may now be for Jungle Hijinx? I don't know, and it doesn't account for Wolf's SFZero stage. Though with Wolf being a ballot character and recently started within the last month, it stands to reason that they haven't started work on his stage in any meaningful capacity yet. With potentially three stages being worked on right now plus Bomberman's later on, I can understand why.

So, I think that should be it! I hope this was thought provoking and can garner up some nice, healthy debates. However, I really don't want to see any debate centered on "these rumors are fake, so your entire post is automatically wrong". They have not been proven fake - Shovel Knight has been going strong for a while and has actually grown more likely as time has gone by, while the 4chan rumor not only survived the latest wave of DLC, something 99.9% of leaks don't as someone put it earlier now the thread, but it actually got a prediction correct, albeit a possibly obvious one, which is why we're giving it any thought instead of dismissing it outright like every other 4chan "leak", sans the ESRB leak. So, pleas approach this with an open mind, and even if you don't believe it - which is completely within your rights to do - please be rational and entertain the thought rather than make your rebuttal centered around dismissing it.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Just beinging this twenty pages forward to the new page. I thought it was quite a good post but it had the misfortune of being one of the dreaded last-page posts, so I'll try again now!
I'll admit. I think we need to watch this one.

Pirate Ship and the three character thing is a tad too lucky for my liking.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
I'll admit would ANY one be mad if we got Wolf,K rool, and BomberMan in smash.Like literally idk about you but i would freak out.And throw in Shovel knight and i would literally die

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well, it'll take more than guessing Pirate Ship to convince me that it's real.
It has one easy thing to prove it being fake or real.

Pirate Ship is supposedly the last returning stage.

If we get one, then fake.

If we only get new ones or ports then it stands a chance of being real.

The thing that gets me is the timing.

Pirate Ship AND the three character thing caught my attention.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
It has one easy thing to prove it being fake or real.

Pirate Ship is supposedly the last returning stage.

If we get one, then fake.

If we only get new ones or ports then it stands a chance of being real.

The thing that gets me is the timing.

Pirate Ship AND the three character thing caught my attention.
I wouldn't jump the gun either. Remember how the Gematsu leak turned out to be incorrect?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I'll admit would ANY one be mad if we got Wolf,K rool, and BomberMan in smash.Like literally idk about you but i would freak out.And throw in Shovel knight and i would literally die
I'd kinda be salty since the leak said bomberman essentially replaced snake.

Not that I hate bomberman though.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
At this point it is what it is.Give me fourside and fountain of dreams and i'll buy anything sakurai

Wouldn't hurt for you to add shovel knight or dixie though

Last edited by a moderator:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I don't even see Gematsu as outdated really, just having some incorrect information. I recall hearing stories about how different people get different info, some of it blatantly wrong, to guard against leaks, and I feel like this was the case with Gematsu, especially after Xander Mobus told the story of how he was given red herrings when doing announcer voices.

I also think this might be the case with the Shovel Knight rumor. A reliable source, but potentially misinformation.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I don't even see Gematsu as outdated really, just having some incorrect information. I recall hearing stories about how different people get different info, some of it blatantly wrong, to guard against leaks, and I feel like this was the case with Gematsu
Well, I don't think it was really that fake either. I think the guy just contacted Sal about Chrom and the Chorus Kids before the April direct after they already been scrapped to give the people who doubted Gematsu a break.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I don't really think that leak is real for several reasons. Mostly because it contradicts the Shovel Knight rumor.

Also, I just want to say that I'm not biased or anything. I could care less if he gets into Smash or not. I've never played Shovel Knight anyways :p.

Anyways, don't forget the two key things with this leak.

1.) Tama had multiple sources.

2.) Amazon selling Nintendo eShop games came true.

I do still strongly believe in this leak, although anything can change at any point. Maybe this is all misinformation like Parallel_Falchion Parallel_Falchion says it could be? Until then, we won't really know until we get any type of official confirmation from Nintendo.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
We were talking about specific character threads? I remember trying to be a part of the Wolf thread, but people there were kind of obnoxious. I remember the Ridley thread being the best, until we saw his shadow on the Pyrosphere in the April Direct last year, then it got sad. @CyberWolfJV TheGuy07's contributions to the Ryu thread and the hype surrounded around the character made it fun. Lately the character threads haven't been able to engage. The K. Rool thread is really the only one that's been able to keep my attention (I wish some threads had more traffic).

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I'm not saying it's real.

I'm saying it's worth watching.

I made that pretty clear.

-_-
And I'm not saying it's real either, for the record. I do believe in both leaks just because I'm an optimist in that ram regard and don't really get disappointed when tumors don't pan out.

However, while the conversation has obvious changed now there was a lot of talk around that picture that found its way onto Reddit about how both leaks cancelled each other out, and there was a bit of misinformation going around, so I set out to set the record straight and also underline reasons, within the confines of suspending your disbelief to consider that they're both legitimate for the purposes of the post, why they not only work together, but also make sense with the new information we've gotten from the data mine and we can possibly look forward to them.

If you (general reader reading this, not specifically Swamp) wish to still not believe the leaks you are, of course, free to do so. But you don't have to believe in order to discuss it, just don't do so from the angle that there's nothing worth discussing because the rumors are "obviously fake"! Besides, we like debates, it passes the time. :D

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I don't even see Gematsu as outdated really, just having some incorrect information. I recall hearing stories about how different people get different info, some of it blatantly wrong, to guard against leaks, and I feel like this was the case with Gematsu, especially after Xander Mobus told the story of how he was given red herrings when doing announcer voices.

I also think this might be the case with the Shovel Knight rumor. A reliable source, but potentially misinformation.
Watch as Shovel Knight becomes a Mii costume and we've been worrying for puerile reasons.

Ivander

Smash Legend
So did anyone else notice that if you take Megaman and Ryu and add them with the Capcom Mii Costumes, you can have 8 Capcom-related characters in 8-player Smash?
Capcom said:
-Megaman
-Ryu
-Protoman
-X
-Zero
-Megaman.exe
-Hunter Armor
-Rathalos Armor
What's more, adding Sonic with the Virtua Fighter costumes or Pac-Man with the Heihachi and Lloyd costumes don't even add up to half of that.
Sega said:
-Sonic
-Akira
-Jacky
Namco said:
-PacMan
-Heihachi
-Lloyd
It's nothing important. I just thought it was interesting. That being said, in terms of series representation(not including music/trophy/taunt reference/etc), Capcom and Namco are tied at 3 series while Sega is at 2 series.

Edit: How do you do the box thing without the "said" part?

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I don't really think that leak is real for several reasons. Mostly because it contradicts the Shovel Knight rumor.

Also, I just want to say that I'm not biased or anything. I could care less if he gets into Smash or not. I've never played Shovel Knight anyways :p.

Anyways, don't forget the two key things with this leak.

1.) Tama had multiple sources.

2.) Amazon selling Nintendo eShop games came true.

I do still strongly believe in this leak, although anything can change at any point. Maybe this is all misinformation like Parallel_Falchion Parallel_Falchion says it could be? Until then, we won't really know until we get any type of official confirmation from Nintendo.
They don't contradict, actually. Just a small point reiterated from my theory post reposted on the last page, but the 4chan rumor doesn't talk about pre-ballot DLC, Tama only had info about Shovel Knight and a few other Amazon-relates things suggesting he's coming soon, and the two Mario slots that have been in for months can't have been left empty for ballot DLC when they have shown with this update, again, that they can add slots at anytime, meaning they were already planning characters to occupy those slots before the ballot even started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom