• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

So, I was doing some math and complicated stuff to find out:
Why October 3rd?
Well, turns out the ballot was a ruse all along and we are getting out first anime character as DLC in Smash
Proof inside
FB_IMG_1443915479381.jpg

I need some sort of news before I go completely insane

Khoru

Smash Champion
I voted for the Castlevania series.

I recommend starting with either Super Castlevania IV (it's on the Wii U eShop), Rondo of Blood (it's on the Wii Shop Channel, or get the PSP remake if that's an option for you), or Aria of Sorrow (also on the Wii U eShop).
i really wish sotn were on nintendo consoles
have they ported dawn of sorrow or order of ecclesia to wii u yet

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
...I've never understood the praise for 3. I mean don't get me wrong, I LOVE all the Megaman games, 3 included, but The Doc Robots were such obnoxious padding to me, and the Wily Castle was a joke.
What is it about 3 that gets it so much admiration? Not an accusation, just curiosity.
Rush,Slide,probably best level design of the whole series and a kick ass soundtrack to boot.And it introduced probably the best megaman character Protoman

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I wonder how this site will react when both Shovel Knight and Shantae are playable.
This implies that either of them are inevitable.

But I stand by my statement. Shovel Knight is the 'popular' one, Shantae isn't, and this community always shows their biases with junk like this.
Somebody just implied that Shovel Knight is a significant game outside of being yet another well-received game among hardcore fans.

Shantae has seniority (Been around since the GBC, Nintendo Power praised her all the damn time, and Risky's Revenge was one of the only reasons to bat an eye at the DSiWare shop).
Shovel Knight has much more recent support with a ground breaking (c wut I did thar) indie game that rejuvenated the market for 8 bit throwbacks. Therefore he is much more well known to the folks of today rather than just us old geezers.
They're both popular for their own reasons with their own merits. I don't think there's really a "Contest" to be had.
Having a well-received game doesn't make Shove Knight (the game) notable or important in the grand scale of things so calling it ground-breaking when it basically just is a love letter to NES games that ended up being popular among hard-core fans is a huge exaggeration of its non-existant importance to video gaming.

And even if SK is better known that Shantae, the differences don't mean much in the grand scale of things as he is still very obscure. Heck, his one game hasn't even sold 1 million copies despite being on multiple platforms.

Calling SK significant is like saying that Bravely Default is significant to video gaming because of how innovative and fun a JRPG it is. It is strictly not true.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
This implies that either of them are inevitable.

Somebody just implied that Shovel Knight is a significant game outside of being yet another well-received game among hardcore fans.

Having a well-received game doesn't make Shove Knight (the game) notable or important in the grand scale of things so calling it ground-breaking when it basically just is a love letter to NES games that ended up being popular among hard-core fans is a huge exaggeration of its non-existant importance to video gaming.

And even if SK is better known that Shantae, the differences don't mean much in the grand scale of things as he is still very obscure. Heck, his one game hasn't even sold 1 million copies despite being on multiple platforms.

Calling SK significant is like saying that Bravely Default is significant to video gaming because of how innovative and fun a JRPG it is. It is strictly not true.
Bruh.
Chill out.
I was just reaching for a pun.
:drohyou:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
...I've never understood the praise for 3. I mean don't get me wrong, I LOVE all the Megaman games, 3 included, but The Doc Robots were such obnoxious padding to me, and the Wily Castle was a joke.
What is it about 3 that gets it so much admiration? Not an accusation, just curiosity.
Everything before the Doc Robot madness. Like how all 8 robot masters were so fun to fight. The power ups, the music and the new abilities Rock gets like the slide and Rush. It just feels like a true continuation.

That said I do agree with the major issues. It's like Mario Sunshine where people point out all the positives of that game while undermining the negatives.

It's not my favorite classic game considering Megaman 4, 7 & 9 are my favorites. But I understand the love

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm prettty sure every single ballot pick is going to cause salt.

I don't think a single "shoo-in" from the ballot is getting in.

And I'll tell you why. I think it exists to pick the characters Sakurai and Nintendo would never dream of adding themselves.

So this means big time Nintendo all-stars are probably not going to happen in this line of thinking.

Lesser ones and other shocking things such as Shovel Knight, Shantae, etc will get picked.

I think Sakurai turned to us not for ''typical" Smash characters (K. Rool, Inkling, Dixie, etc), but a-typical.

It's a feeling I have.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Everything before the Doc Robot madness. Like how all 8 robot masters were so fun to fight. The power ups, the music and the new abilities Rock gets like the slide and Rush. It just feels like a true continuation.

That said I do agree with the major issues. It's like Mario Sunshine where people point out all the positives of that game while undermining the negatives.

It's not my favorite classic game considering Megaman 4, 7 & 9 are my favorites. But I understand the love
I can definitely agree with the 8 robot masters being solid, definitely the reason I still do ENJOY the game. And slide is deeeeeeeelicious. Weapons and music were among the best too, for sure.
Doc Robots just bug me a bit more than it does other people I guess. Eh, that's what the password screen is for.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

And I'll tell you why. I think it exists to pick the characters Sakurai and Nintendo would never dream of adding themselves.

So this means big time Nintendo all-stars are probably not going to happen in this line of thinking.

Lesser ones and other shocking things such as Shovel Knight, Shantae, etc will get picked.

I think Sakurai turned to us not for ''typical" Smash characters (K. Rool, Inkling, Dixie, etc), but a-typical.

It's a feeling I have.
Three popular veterans and a video game icon are the characters we got so far as DLC, all which fits into the kind of characters Sakurai would choose. So really, your theory has no backing especially as Sakurai stated that from now on, it's going to be fanservice, and considering Shantae and Shovel Knight aren't even remotely well-known among the Japanese fanbase, neither seem like the type of Sakurai picks (SK only has the rumour going for him)

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
The Shantae thread has been around since 2012 while the Shovel Knight thread was just made last year just shortly before his game's release.
But guess what?

When the Shovel Knight thread was made, the Shantae thread only had two pages. Meaning both have essentially collected their respective page counts in the same amount of time.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Three popular veterans and a video game icon are the characters we got so far as DLC, all which fits into the kind of characters Sakurai would choose. So really, your theory has no backing.
All of those were Sakurai picks.

This is strictly a theory about going forward with the ballot.

It could be wrong, sure, but to use Roy, Lucas, Mewtwo and Ryu against it is just silly when it's about any DLC going forward culled from the ballot votes.

Yeah, Sakurai is going to pick those too, but I think this is a literal ''Get out of my own head and into someone else's" suggestion box in which he'll be adding characters he might not think of and I'm sure at times?

He's thought of most of the bigger names in the ballot.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Three popular veterans and a video game icon are the characters we got so far as DLC, all which fits into the kind of characters Sakurai would choose. So really, your theory has no backing.
Blue, did you stub your toe getting out of bed today or something?
You're being awfully picky.

D

Deleted member

Three popular veterans and a video game icon are the characters we got so far as DLC, all which fits into the kind of characters Sakurai would choose. So really, your theory has no backing especially as Sakurai stated that from now on, it's going to be fanservice, and considering Shantae and Shovel Knight aren't even remotely well-known among the Japanese fanbase, neither seem like the type of Sakurai picks (SK only has the rumour going for him)
Those are pre ballot tho

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But those first four weren't ballot characters. I don't subscribe to the same theory, personally, but at the same time the main point isn't addressed here.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
But guess what?

When the Shovel Knight thread was made, the Shantae thread only had two pages. Meaning both have essentially collected their respective page counts in the same amount of time.
At the same time, you're ignoring the kind of fans each have.

Some groups are talkative like K.Rool

Others aren't like Isaac.

Both are around the same on polls.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin

It's a feeling I have.
Welp. We all know who the next Smash character is then.
:troll:
I'm sorry.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I think it's more so the additions of Rush, Protoman, sliding, and the Gamma boss fight.

Personally I just want to know why 2 gets so much praise. It added 2 stages and E-Tanks.

People hate the Magnet Beam (which you're dumb if you do), but never complain about how each Wily level forces those types of sections on you in spades on top of Bosses that are only damageable by a certain weapon. Not to mention if you get a Game Over you lose all your E-Tanks (MM&B is less punishing than that). Run out of Crash Bombers on Wily 4? Good luck killing yourself or farming at random for ammo.

D

Deleted member

Leaks and Rumours should be in Smash because it has about 5 thread each with 1000+ pages
#LeaktheLeak

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I can definitely agree with the 8 robot masters being solid, definitely the reason I still do ENJOY the game. And slide is deeeeeeeelicious. Weapons and music were among the best too, for sure.
Doc Robots just bug me a bit more than it does other people I guess. Eh, that's what the password screen is for.
I do agree because the Doc Robots make the game unfun in my eyes and I hate how people just say "get gud" when it's kinda hard to when you have to learn weaknesses for robots who have MM2 powerups and how some have some crazy patterns and Protoman pls.

Even then, the only MM game that upset me was Megaman & Bass by it's just BS level design and be warned. I played the GBA version which is the worst version as a youngster. I hate the setup, how neutered Rock was compared to Bass.(He doesn't have his Super Adaptor but Bass does.)

That game is actually no good.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
So, is there any songs people want in Smash 4 that come from 3rd party franchises? Even if the character couldn't happen, there's still a lot of songs from different games you would like to see in Smash. Here's a couple of ones I would love to see (I tried to stay a bit in the realm of possibility).

• Crash Bandicoot: Turtle Woods, Warp Room medley, Slip Slide Icecapades
  • Rayman: Band Land, Gloo Gloo, The Woods of Light, The Final Battle (Rayman 2)
  • Castlevania: Bloody Tears, Simon Belmont's theme
  • Street Fighter: M. Bison's theme, Guiles' theme
  • Metal Gear Solid: Quiet's theme, Heaven's Divide
  • Katamari Damacy: Katamari On the Rocks
  • Cave Story: Grass Town
If any of these songs were to get into Smash, I would be so happy. Too bad most will never happen...

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Funny thing about MM3 is that Inafune actually considers it one of his least favorite games in the series, despite almost everyone else loving it.

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
Are there actually people on here arguing about what characters had more pages on their threads in terms of validity as a ballot pick?
Gosh, Nintendo. Please give us something to work with as soon as the ballot closes so we don't have to resort to this kind of discussion. haha

So, is there any songs people want in Smash 4 that come from 3rd party franchises? Even if the character couldn't happen, there's still a lot of songs from different games you would like to see in Smash. Here's a couple of ones I would love to see (I tried to stay a bit in the realm of possibility).

If any of these songs were to get into Smash, I would be so happy. Too bad most will never happen...
Definitely more Street Fighter music. It bums me out how it's just remixes of the same two songs.

I'd love Castlevania music. I'd also love a Castlevania rep; but I guess like the music could be good by itself on certain stages.

Cave Story is up there too. I would love Quote in Smash; he's my number one Indie pick, buuuuuut people would probably complain he's too similar to Megaman or whatever. And I guess we'd get more variety from Shovel Knight or Shantae. I'd love a Cave Story medley tossed in somewhere though.

I definitely wouldn't mind Bayonetta music at least as a nod to her since we don't have any trophies or anything. They should put the After Burner remix on a Star Fox stage. ;D

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But guess what?

Last time I entered the Shantae thread, I left swearing to never return.
Filled with the same three people posting random videos, provocative fanart, and just overall not contributing to legitimate discussion while drowning out the few people that tried to have serious discussion.

If Shovel Knight had those kinds of fans here, he'd probably be at 100+ pages too.

(Though it's rather stupid to judge popularity based on how many posts a thread has anyway.)

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Filled with the same three people posting random videos, provocative fanart, and just overall not contributing to legitimate discussion while drowning out the few people that tried to have serious discussion.

If Shovel Knight had those kinds of fans here, he'd probably be at 100+ pages too.

(Though it's rather stupid to judge popularity based on how many posts a thread has anyway.)
It's definitely a hugbox, but then again, so are most of the popular choices. No hate intended, of course.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I think it's more so the additions of Rush, Protoman, sliding, and the Gamma boss fight.

Personally I just want to know why 2 gets so much praise. It added 2 stages and E-Tanks.

People hate the Magnet Beam (which you're dumb if you do), but never complain about how each Wily level forces those types of sections on you in spades on top of Bosses that are only damageable by a certain weapon. Not to mention if you get a Game Over you lose all your E-Tanks (MM&B is less punishing than that). Run out of Crash Bombers on Wily 4? Good luck killing yourself or farming at random for ammo.
2 just comes down to solid level design, weapons and music for me. Even without spammy-mic-OPBlades, I adore doing runs with all the weapons in that game, it is the one and only instance where I can say with certainty that I love every single weapon in a Mega Man game.
The bit with E-tanks never bothered me. Plus, 2's "normal" mode is pretty much everyone's recommended starting point with Megaman, which is probably why it's so popular. Dispicably OP Mega Buster aside, it's still plenty challenging for someone who has never played a Megaman Game in their life.
All the Classic Megaman games have their own unique high and low points, I guess it's just why the series has so much charm and got away with having 6 games on NES well into the SNES life cycle.
And yeah the Sentry Turrets boss can eat a massive, spotted metalic.... hot dog.

I do agree because the Doc Robots make the game unfun in my eyes and I hate how people just say "get gud" when it's kinda hard to when you have to learn weaknesses for robots who have MM2 powerups and how some have some crazy patterns and Protoman pls.

Even then, the only MM game that upset me was Megaman & Bass by it's just BS level design and be warned. I played the GBA version which is the worst version as a youngster. I hate the setup, how neutered Rock was compared to Bass.(He doesn't have his Super Adaptor but Bass does.)

That game is actually no good.
It's the only Classic Megaman Game I have yet to play for that very reason.
Like holy crap, who promoted a chimpanzee to the lead level and gameplay designer for that game?

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

It's the same as 3 in the sense. The Robot masters are great, the powerups are fantastic, the iconic music (Title theme, Metal Man, Air Man, Wood Man and Wily's Castle) and just feels like that continuation that MM3 had but it has its problems.

It's why I consider 4 superior than 2/3 because the addition of the iconic charge **** which is now a staple in EVERY Megaman game, the music, robot masters were kinda lackluster but had their charms and Dr. Cossack's Castle is better than all the Wily Castles ever.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord

I was just pointing out the fact to Captain Fun, as it seems to support his observation of Shantae being more popular within the Smash fanbase. I don't know what kind of fans they have, I haven't read the threads.

But even if the SK fanbase is "less talkative", you gotta admit it's a huge difference.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion

I'm sorry but even as a shantae fan who visit the thread every so often.Even i can agree that's 85% of her thread is nothing but videos and fanart

Keeo in mind shantae is one of my top 5 most requested characters.So no hate towards her or her fans

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

You bet there is, 'cause I'm
Betting it All
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hQKtLZrI2yM
Battlefield's Awakening
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lItw8mkOXcc
The Fallen Capital of Shinjuku
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=imnmNtECuBk

Seriously, I just want some EO in my Smash
Could even be Mii Costumes
The mascots of the first two games are the Protector and Gunner, it writes itself
But we need Atlus to have a character so Jack Frost for Smash

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
So, I just reset my save data and tried to unlock Duck Hunt Dog on the 3DS version again. You still fight him on Battlefield unfortunately.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
A lot of the top characters have terrible threads here.

Bandana Dee, Wolf and Shantae are especially cringe worthy.

K.Rool, Isaac and Snake have some of the nicer ones though they definitely have their moments.

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice

Yeah, I really like Shantae but the character discussion subforum is enough to drive me crazy. I don't wanna disrespect here but I feel like it's a huge echo chamber and people not directly contributing to it aren't welcomed. They really seem to hate being contradicted and this goes for almost everyone. Most of the character threads have only a handful of very active users.

With that said I do think that Shantae is legitimately more popular than Shovel Knight in these parts.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
It's the only Classic Megaman Game I have yet to play for that very reason.
Like holy crap, who promoted a chimpanzee to the lead level and gameplay designer for that game?
Funny thing, MM&B is Inafune's favorite MM game. And it was only made because they wanted to give MM fans on Nintendo systems something to play while the Playstation and (superior) Saturn have MM8

Despite being an SNES game in 1997.
And being released in Japan only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom