• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
I'm surprised everyone is acting like the ballot is over. Since when does something saying the "deadline" for anything mean "before that date". Like 90% of the time the deadline for stuff is including that day, unless it specifies otherwise. Why would they end it before Saturday instead of just ending it when the week is over? haha

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm surprised everyone is acting like the ballot is over. Since when does something saying the "deadline" for anything mean "before that date". Like 90% of the time the deadline for stuff is including that day, unless it specifies otherwise. Why would they end it before Saturday instead of just ending it when the week is over? haha
That's what I said earlier.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Excitebike is a fun game, but after a half hour you're pretty much done.
Yeah, I thought as much. As much I'd like to have it since I support Excitebike for Smash big time, I feared that game would get old rather quickly. Ah well. Maybe next time. :ohwell:
I recommend getting DKC. I've been playing it a lot recently, beating it multiple times. It's super fun and hard, but short (only takes a few hours to beat the main game.) However, there are lots of secret areas hidden in the levels to discover. The more secrets you find, the more your completion percentage goes up. I haven't found most of them yet, as my file only has around 40% on it.

You should also get Mega Man X at some point. DKC and MMX are my favorite games of all time. They are masterpieces.
Donkey Kong Country is great, but the second one is such an improvement on the first that it makes the first seem bad. You have to play the first one first, because going back after the second will only frustrate. That said, if you don't like DKC1, you still have to give 2 a shot, because it likely fixed whatever you may have disliked about the first.
So what you're saying is essentially to play both DKC 1&2 in order to see where the first one went wrong and how the sequel is better in every way?
In that case, I'll pass on Donkey Kong Country for now. I can only get one and if I get DKC1 I'm just going to be thirsty for this "vastly superior game" when I actually beat it. :laugh:
Castlevania didn't become Metroid-style until the Playstation game, but that said, Castlevania 4 is my favorite in the whole series. Sidescrolling platformer at its finest.
should warn you super castlevania 4 isnt a metroidvania
Mega Man X1 and Super Castlevania IV are good starting points for their respective series, though as @powerprotoman stated, the latter is not one of the Metroidvania-style Castlevania games. I'd recommend Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow if you want your Metroidvania fix.
Hm...well, not quite what I expected, but I'm still interested in the game. It's a series I haven't explored and a game I hear nothing but great things about. If I could get my hands on one of the Metroidvania-styled games I'd go for that, but this might do.
I'd go for MMX.

Metroid Fusion is pretty good, though not really a Metroidvania (at the very least it's much more linear and also has tons of Survival Horror), can't comment on SCIV, DKC is good, 2 is better, but I don't see a reason to skip out the first one (I will say that DKC1 has more slippery controls which can be... aggravating).
GO FOR METROID!
Hm...
Well overall I'm seeing mostly Mega Man X, with a little Metroid Fusion.
Not sure what will sway me either way tho---
tons of Survival Horror
Weeeeeeell ****. :surprised:
Okay. So...
I'm thinking it comes down to Metroid Fusion or Super Castlevania 4...
It's a tough call but...I'm going to say...
Metroid Fusion! I can't pass up "survival horror".
This is like my longest post ever. Worth! :awesome::awesome::awesome:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah, I thought as much. As much I'd like to have it since I support Excitebike for Smash big time, I feared that game would get old rather quickly. Ah well. Maybe next time. :ohwell:

So what you're saying is essentially to play both DKC 1&2 in order to see where the first one went wrong and how the sequel is better in every way?
In that case, I'll pass on Donkey Kong Country for now. I can only get one and if I get DKC1 I'm just going to be thirsty for this "vastly superior game" when I actually beat it. :laugh:

Hm...well, not quite what I expected, but I'm still interested in the game. It's a series I haven't explored and a game I hear nothing but great things about. If I could get my hands on one of the Metroidvania-styled games I'd go for that, but this might do.

Hm...

Okay. So...
You're in for a treat.

Metroid Fusion actually made me scared as a kid.

Game is probably the most tense Metroid out there.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Ugggggghhhhh....
So torn.

I have a little less than $10 on the eShop right now, and there's like a million great $8 or less games I could get right now. Ugh...
My current list of potential buys:

1. Mega Man X: Haven't played MMX at all, would love to beat the first game. The others are there but I want to go in order.

2. Excitebike: Don't own this (I've played though :p) despite being a huge supporter of Excitebike. What I originally planned to get but not sure on the replay value of this game (or VS)

3. Metroid Fusion: I want to play all the Metroid games, but I want to try new series first...unless this one is even better than Super Metroid, which I doubt.

4. Super Castlevania 4: Since I'm interested in Metroidvanias, I figured this would be a good substitute for Metroid Fusion since I've never played a Castlevania game.

5. Donkey Kong Country: Never played a DKC game and the trilogy is on the eShop Is it better to start with this one or should I just go for the best of the bunch (which iirc @vaanrose said was Diddy's Kong-Quest?)

I'm saving my money for now...Vote for my amusement.
Please. :urg:
Get DKC. Get it.

D

Deleted member

*fangirls*
Spoopy scary game = best game
Super Metroid, Earthbound, Majora's Mask, and now Metroid Fusion.
I will explore Nintendo's entire catalog of spoopy!!
I could put you in a room with a FOE and then you would know the true meaning of spoopy
But yeah, SA-X is pretty spoopy

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
You guys.

I have never played a StarFox game.

Will getting the Nintendo Select re-release of StarFox 64 3D ruin StarFox Zero for me? They are based on the same game, and people complain that Zero is too much like the old game, so.. I am not sure which I should play first. ._.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Remember that part in Prime where the laboratory lights go out and all the metroids break out of their cases :c:c:c

Shog

Smash Ace
*fangirls*
Spoopy scary game = best game
Super Metroid, Earthbound, Majora's Mask, and now Metroid Fusion.
I will explore Nintendo's entire catalog of spoopy!!
I envy you, having to enjoy Metroid Fusion again, what a blast! (It is a bit more story driven than other Metroid Games which are accepted by the fanbase, but I'll be sure you will enjoy it)

[...] about Metroid Prime labs, yeah that part was scary and hard. But the thing that terrified the most in my MP experience was the electric "back weakness" dino thing which shoots electric beams in MP2. I hated them as a kid :mad: Especially if you have to defeat them in the Torvus Level to continue. I hated that part so much
--
Also can I say in the same regard that I dropped Majora Mask after getting to the first wood dungeon with the poison water? I really, really hate that I have to buy maps or that I have to time travel :ohwell: (also much the fonkeys! I didn't know that to activate the witch cutscene you can't stay in your deku mask :facepalm:)

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
With the upcoming closing of the Smash Ballot, I feel like we should maybe have a nice party as a "Goodbye!" to the Ballot and "Hello!" to the oncoming wait.
http://comeonandsl.am/
Have some slam jam.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
This would be good. Has some of my favorite partners. watt could be a standard aerial to possibly. Imagine spikster as a down aerial that threw a spiny down to spike someone. There truly is so much potential! It's why I want Paper Mario So much!

I know, that's why my theory is that those first two slots are half ballot and half sakurai picks. My theory is that they were meant to be two characters picked from the ballot that would be filler till the real ballot DLC is chosen. So technically Shovel Knight would be ballot still. If the 2 slots are pre ballot, then that new slot definitely goes to Shovel Knight as it is also linked to a new stage.
If it is partially a Sakurai pick, then it doesn't count as a ballot choice period and if we are getting pre-ballot characters, it is not "obviously" SK due to the rumour stating he'd be a ballot character, nothing concerning pre-ballot.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
All ballot characters will be picked by Sakurai. The ballot merely serves to give him a concrete pool of characters.

Factors like popularity, moveset ideas, potential development issues will determine which characters will be chosen.

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
All ballot characters will be picked by Sakurai. The ballot merely serves to give him a concrete pool of characters.

Factors like popularity, moveset ideas, potential development issues will determine which characters will be chosen.
And with that said, good luck to all candidates.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

What he meant by Sakurai pick is a pick determined by Sakurai liking the character as opposed to a character chosen because of popularity among fans.

If Shovel Knight makes it in, according to the rumour, it will be solely as a fan-choicenot influenced by Sakurai's wants unlike Lucas, Ryu and Roy as he stated that from now on, it's going to be fanservice.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Let's see how things will turn out. I'm quite curious to see the final results!

I think Wolf is likely to return: the same reasons that led to his inclusion in Brawl could easily apply here. Popularity and ease of development. Given those factors, it would be such a missed opportunity to not have him return. I also think that it's for these reasons he might be the only veteran DLC from now on.

As for newcomers, the possibilities are almost endless. Which Nintendo characters will join the roster? What other third-party guests could be chosen? Will Sakurai sneak some easy to make clones such as Pichu? How long will DLC development last?

So many questions that only time will answer. It's been a year since the 3DS game was released outside of Japan. Since then, plenty of content has been added that one year ago we had no idea it would be included. In fact, DLC wasn't even confirmed back then.

All in all, I'd say it's time for one last ride on the hype train. I'm quite sure we won't be seeing another Smash game in quite a while, so it's best if we enjoy all content we've gotten so far and that we'll get in the upcoming months.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Hm...

Okay. So...
The GBA Castlevania's are Metroidvania's and are available on the Wii U. I'd still consider Castlevania 4 over them, the atmosphere and gameplay are great.

Actually, even though I know you bought Fusion, you should buy some Castlevania games this October. Beat month for horror themed games, after all.

D

Deleted member

****ing hell, not only I had to fight two bosses at the same time with SUICIDE PARTY WIPING MOVES
But after that I have to fight a Damage Sponge Boss with a Party Wiping Move that has a 100% hit rate if my team members are affected by an ailment
WHICH IS 99% OF THE ****ING TIME BECAUSE OF HENTAI TENTACLES
I DON'T THINK I EVER FOUGHT SOMETHING THIS HARD AND FRUSTATING IN AN RPG
(nor do I want to remember if I did, because there is probably a good reason I can't do it in the first place)

And now I'll never associate the word "tentacles" the way I did before ever again

Last edited by a moderator:

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
****ing hell, not only I had to fight two bosses at the same time with SUICIDE PARTY WIPING MOVES
But after that I have to fight a Damage Sponge Boss with a Party Wiping Move that has a 100% hit rate if my team members are affected by an ailment
WHICH IS 99% OF THE ****ING TIME BECAUSE OF HENTAI TENTACLES
I bet this wouldn't be as funny if it wasn't taken out of context.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I bet this wouldn't be as funny if it wasn't taken out of context.
You joke but I actually got ***** by the tentacles
This game has ****ing Rapelopes already and then there is Scylla AKA Hentai Lady
At least the Wiki says she could be considered the hardest boss in the game so I guess I'm good for now

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
What he meant by Sakurai pick is a pick determined by Sakurai liking the character as opposed to a character chosen because of popularity among fans.

If Shovel Knight makes it in, according to the rumour, it will be solely as a fan-choicenot influenced by Sakurai's wants unlike Lucas, Ryu and Roy as he stated that from now on, it's going to be fanservice.
Actuall I meant it was both. A character who Sakurai saw got really good reception from the start as well someone sakurai thought would be a good edition. So he began work on him while he waited for the ballot to end. Thus making SK technically ballot but chosen before it was fully over. Sorry for any confusion, I only called it pre ballot because the ballot wouldn't have been done yet if my theory is correct.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
jordan pls

I guess it's good to not be completely dismissive of rumors, otherwise you may make wagers that could create rifts in your household.
Not really, you just have to know what's okay to stick on the Internet. It's more common sense if you ask me.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I would actually try to delete my Smash 3DS save data because I'm curious if Duck Hunt is now fought on the Duck Hunt stage or still on Battlefield when unlocking.

But this game no longer has the option to just delete unlocked characters... I wouldn't like to delete all my data just for that.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Hm, the ballot is still up. In that case, it must end at 12 am est tonight. Then if there is some kind of announcement, I'd expect it tomorrow.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
the character threads will stay open until DLC is done? I mean, when Nintendo stop to do announcements regarding that. (I hope so)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom