• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Crono dies
Mario saves Peach
The Yggdrasil Labyrinth grew over an apocalyptic Earth
Diantha is the Champion
Cecil is a **** to his brother
Hilda was the mastermind and Ravio is Lorule Link
Grima is Robin and Robin dies but not really
Dedede was doing good and Kirby ****s everything up
The dog laughs at you
Weathley tries to kill you and Glados saves you
They were all friends that studied for two years together killing each other but didn't remember because their memories were erased by worst girl and the world outside is in an apocalyptic state and they were the ones to lock down the school

Now to cartoons:
Numbah One goes to space
Garnet is a gay personification
Homura is time traveling to save Madoka
Obito is Tobi
Zeno is Zatch's twin brother
The Anti-Spiral were a Spiral race and Lord I-Don't-Know-How-To-Spell-It was trying to prevent humankind's destruction
Pretty much everyone in the government is part of a mass genocide plan that has been going since the country's foundation and it was all planned by Honhenheim's half-brother and both of them are about hundreds of years old and responsible for the destruction of Xerxes

The author of the Journals is [REDACTED]
Yeah, I'm not that of an asshole

D

Deleted member

Uh, you kinda just spoiled Chrono Trigger for me with that. Thanks.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
It's fine knowing who he is. It's a cheap twist, anyway. Like @PLATINUM7 said, most of us Batman fans figured it out before the game released. There's plenty of better plot twists that will occur anyway.
Sadly I was one of those batman fans who didn't pay any attention to the media and trailers surrounding Arkham knight *sigh* oh well...

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I'm personally fine with spoilers. I kind of expect them in this thread since we talk mainly about leaks and such. They come with the terrority. For me it's all about the presentation and the set up. If the twist is too obvious then it's not good. If it wasn't at least foreshadowed than its also a bad twist. If I enjoy a movie or games story that much I'll play/ watch it again just to see the full structure of the story. If it's spoiled then it might save me that extra playthrough :p.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Uh, you kinda just spoiled Chrono Trigger for me with that. Thanks.
Not really. You can just bring Chrono back alive at the end anyhow.

Besides, that's not the big one.

Sigma is still alive

Sadly I was one of those batman fans who didn't pay any attention to the media and trailers surrounding Arkham knight *sigh* oh well...
I don't blame you. I kinda did the same thing with Mortal Kombat X. I haven't even played the game yet or seen the story mode to know that Shinnok is the final boss and he's defeated by Cassie Cage.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm personally fine with spoilers. I kind of expect them in this thread since we talk mainly about leaks and such. They come with the terrority. For me it's all about the presentation and the set up. If the twist is too obvious then it's not good. If it wasn't at least foreshadowed than its also a bad twist. If I enjoy a movie or games story that much I'll play/ watch it again just to see the full structure of the story. If it's spoiled then it might save me that extra playthrough :p.
This thread is labeled "NintenZone Social" with no mention that it's a place of spoilers for other games. Story spoilers are also much different than leaks, especially so for RPGs where it's practically the main point of them is to experience the journey on your own.

If this thread is a spoiler zone, I'm not sure I can really participate here. No offense to anyone here, but story spoilers not being spoiler tagged I consider a bit disrespectful. Those people got to enjoy these things without spoilers, other people should be allowed it too and not expect others to already have played that point in the game or game at all as of yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrono.

Dr. Wily created Zero.

Your dead brother is a computer program.

Your dad isn't really dead.

Zero dies (a lot).

Thomas was the mastermind.

You're stuck on the moon.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Your dead brother is a computer program
Who ends up risking his life to save the world only to have a cop out ending of him coming back alive for sequel bait.

And Chaud has daddy issues

Khoru

Smash Champion
there is most definitely a "statute of limitations" on spoilers
twenty years is a bit (just a bit) much

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Heyo!

Since there's a lot of discussion about the Ballot Fighters 4Chan rumor VS. the Shovel Knight rumor, I'd like to present my theory. I'm aware that this is already treaded ground, but there's a lot of black-and-white viewing going on right now, so I'd like to try and bring the shades of grey in between (inb4 non-relevant 50 Shades joke) to the forefront, if for nothing else than for more healthy discussion and debate. I'll also be speaking from the assumption that these rumors are true.

So, to begin, I'd like to clear up this misconception that both rumors somehow can't coexist and if there's any legitimacy to them only one can be true and the other fake. Basically, the misconception that they're mutually exclusive.

Because they're not.

First off, nowhere in the 4chan rumor was it ever stated that there weren't more characters. Keep in mind, the specific phrasing used was that the leaker "heard information about the upcoming ballot DLC". Ballot DLC. The first three planned Ballot characters. Not only does that not bar the possibility for more later on (If character packs are still 4 characters each, then I can see 3 more, I'll explain why later on), it also fails to account for the two pre-ballot slots that have been in planning since Mewtwo was added.

Everything we've heard about Shovel Knight, to my knowledge, suggests that he is a pre-ballot character, having been worked on for a while. Being pre-ballot, he is in no danger of having all the evidence points towards his inclusion automatically discredited because a 4chan leak describing post-ballot characters doesn't include him as a pre-ballot character. On the same token, the Shovel Knight rumor doesn't discredit the 4chan leak because Shovel Knight is pre-ballot, has been in planning for a while, and we've only heard about the ballot DLC within the last month while The SK rumor has been around for a while longer and was in part based off of, IIRC, Amazon insider info rather than sources within or close to Nintendo workers, making it understandable that Tama wouldn't have any info on other characters.

Now, with that misconception cleared up, we have a minimum of five characters coming - two pre-ballot and three post-ballot. Now, there's a few reasons for me saying this. The biggest reason, of course, is the two 'Mario' slots. They've been there in the coding since Mewtwo, suggesting that the characters that will eventually take their spot have been at lest planned since the time Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were being worked on. And while some have already presented the thought that the slots were just debugging test slots or unused space, this doesn't make since when we look at the third a lot added with the new patch. No matter what the use is, they wouldn't add a third slot unless they were planning to use it, meaning we have at least three characters. But if they're planing a third character, that means they already were planning a first and second character for the two slots. I understand that some may counter that the slots could be empty and all three are just for the Ballot DLC, but I've said it before here and I'll say it again: if they can add new slots as any time, especially as evidenced now by the addition of another slot, there's absolutely no reason Nintendo would have jumped the shark and added two post-ballot slots to their coding if they were just gonna sit on them for six months until the ballot ended. Those slots were there because they were already assigned to characters, so any slots we get beyond those are definitely Ballot DLC. Which makes two pre-ballot, and with the Ballot DLC added three, that makes five.

'But wait,' you may be asking, 'why weren't there three slots added then?' A very good question, and I would never have the answer obviously, so I can only work with the facts (and the assumption for the purposes of this post that both rumors are legit). How I see it is that the newly-added a lot belongs to Wolf. Why? Because he's the easiest to make. As mentioned by the 4chan leak, Wolf was already being seriously considered for pre-ballot DLC, but it was his super high placing in the ballot itself that solidified his chances for being made DLC, albeit as a ballot choice. Being a veteran and a semi-clone in the same way as Lucas, Wolf would be, especially
In comparison to Bomberman and K. Rool, extremely quick and easy to make. Lucas was also basically completely done by the time they revealed him as evidenced by how complete he looked. Yhat Wolf as a combination of all the above would be started before the ballot finished and sometime in the past month since the last update is not surprising in the least. And it's been often said and speculated and predicted, but with Star Fox Zero originally intended to come out in November, a month away from now, from a promotional standpoint Wolf makes the most sense of the three to come first, liking with Shovel Knight whose Amiibo is scheduled IIRC to come out in November sometime around the release of Falco and Mewtwo's.

Bomberman isn't so random a choice as you may think. I see the three ballot choices as a good mix - a veteran, a highly-requested Nintendo newcomer, and a 3rd-party with a good history with Nintendo. Bomberman, as the latter, does a good job of filling that description. Bomberman is one of the most Nintendo-like franchises that aren't owned by Nintendo, and indeed, Hudson was a major Nintendo supporter in times past before they were bought by Konami, with Bomberman their mascot character. While Bomberman hasn't garnered the support of Snake on the forums (for understandable reasons, but also keep in mind that the forums represent a small fraction of the most hardcore fans, and the Western ones at that), he makes more sense from a couple angles. One, he fits better into Smash than Snake. Two, Snake was added because Sakurai and Kojima are friends, so the stuff going on right now between Konami and Kojima over the Metal Gear series definitely does not lend itself to Sakurai or Nintendo negotiating with Konami for Snake's rights again. They definitely could, however, go to them for Bomberman, who besides Simon Belmont and Snake is probably the most recognizable character Konami has the rights too, and also has a huge history with Nintendo (Bomberman 64, IMO, is one of the best games ever on Nintendo consoles). Three, his moveset lends itself well to Smash. I personally don't see the Snake moveset comment as an issue, because it was said that only some attacks were taken from Snake, and it never specified which (for all we know it could be all A attacks and not specials at all). Rest assured that Bomberman wouldn't be Snake in a different proportioned body. After all, he best character to take Snakes moveset in its entirety, with some small tweaks, is Sami from Advance Wars.

I can see some people getting to this point already getting hung up on King K. Rool from the standpoint that the leak said that he looks like his Mii costume, but the leaker not knowing which came first. 'Obviously,' they may think, 'the third slot belongs to K. Rool because he already has a basis to work from because of the costume', while others probably think along the lines of: 'Well he's popular and obviously he's been in production for awhile because the Mii costume was based from his model!' But hold your horses! Being a newcomer, K. Rool would understandably take longer than Wolf to make, and this is a good thing as it means he'll be unique and not exactly cloned from anybody else necessarily. He also, like Bomberman, doesn't have the benefit of a new game on his side (that's been announced anyways; the biggest part of the leak actually is the non-Smash info, namely, that there's a new Donkey Kong game in the works and it's implied feature K. Rool, hence part of why he's being included to promote the DK series) like Wolf does, nor does he have a game in his series in general releasing the near future like Wolf does/did. If the order of the three characters is any actual indication, he'd be the last of the three to release if not at the same time as Bomberman and/or Wolf.

Shovel Knight, of course, has been beaten to death. With a shovel. The shenanigans with Yacht Club Games' Twitter feed and then going silent and awkwardly reshuffling their plans amidst the lack of his reveal on the release of the patch is actually fairly interesting, and alongside all the evidence that's come up in support of his inclusion alongside Tama's original rumor makes him fairly likely, with a release either this month or in November coinciding with the Amiibo release.

Of course, I said five characters, and I've only talked about four. We still have one more pre-ballot character to consider. That character is Professor Layton. We've already had a rumor about his inclusion with the whole VA thing (for those not in the loop, someone asked Layton's VA on Twitter about his IMDB being updated anonymously to say he voiced Layton in Smash. He replied no, but about a month later randomly changes his mind to maybe, reflecting on it and considering that he did some extra sound bytes like growls, grunts, and yells during a recording session for another project that may actually have been for Smash. He was unsure of what they were meant to be used for and that's as far as I've heard), and for his VA to potentially record voiceover work for him means that not only is he pre-ballot as that story played out in August, possibly even July (I can't remember for sure); but he's also very far along in the design and implementing process, as voiceover work is usually one of the last things to be done while working on a character IIRC, albeit that he recorded the lines conveniently during another session. We've had VA's give away voicing characters in Smash before (Shulk's VA, for example), so it isn't too unbelievable a thought.

Now, that leaves five characters, but wait! We can't have five characters in a character bundle when the first and only one we've gotten has four! We can't have two and three characters in two separate bundles either for the same reason! This is definitely only my own personal speculation and based on nothing but the four characters to a bundle, but if we have five characters, then that means that one character gets left out of the bundle. It would stand to reason, then, that there would need to be at least three more characters to completely a third bundle. As for who those characters are, I cannot say, though the four obvious candidates by popularity are Isaac, Dixie Kong, the Inklings and Bandana Dee, with Toad, Impa, Chibi-Robo and another 3rd-party being less-likely choices. To see 12 DLC fighters would be awesome, and while I don't exactly put stock in the idea as reality, my ideal final number is 16 (48+16=64, DLC=1/4 of the roster, 64 is the highest number of entrants in a tourney, meaning every non-Mii character can be represented without leaving anyone out or doubling up, etc.) but I'll take whatever we get, and even the five we'd be getting is
pretty awesome top of the four we already have, on top of the base roster!

And as far as the stages go, so don't have an explanation for Tikibuzz. It obviously ties into DK/K. Rool potentially but could also
mean that a DK stage is being ported too. The slot above Mario Maker was in the files since Mewtwo, but was only renamed in the past month. We can assume that every 3rd-party is getting their own stage, so Shovel Knight take the two new slots while the old one was probably meant for Pirate Ship but may now be for Jungle Hijinx? I don't know, and it doesn't account for Wolf's SFZero stage. Though with Wolf being a ballot character and recently started within the last month, it stands to reason that they haven't started work on his stage in any meaningful capacity yet. With potentially three stages being worked on right now plus Bomberman's later on, I can understand why.

So, I think that should be it! I hope this was thought provoking and can garner up some nice, healthy debates. However, I really don't want to see any debate centered on "these rumors are fake, so your entire post is automatically wrong". They have not been proven fake - Shovel Knight has been going strong for a while and has actually grown more likely as time has gone by, while the 4chan rumor not only survived the latest wave of DLC, something 99.9% of leaks don't as someone put it earlier now the thread, but it actually got a prediction correct, albeit a possibly obvious one, which is why we're giving it any thought instead of dismissing it outright like every other 4chan "leak", sans the ESRB leak. So, pleas approach this with an open mind, and even if you don't believe it - which is completely within your rights to do - please be rational and entertain the thought rather than make your rebuttal centered around dismissing it.

Soul.

Meh I would guess the Ballot ending at 12:00 A.M pacific time. Nintendo's stuff has been in pacific time so eh

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well....

It's been a good run folks.

Whether it ends now or at the end.

This is the day.

It's odd I'm getting emotional about this.

I guess it isn't Smash per say.

It's not even a character.

It's getting excited and having fun with people.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Well....

This is the day.

The ballot is over. Speculation isn't however. I think we'll still have plenty of excitement and fun coming for at least a while into 2016 when it comes to Smash.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Well....

This is the day.

C'mon bro.
Bring it in.

D

Deleted member

E-102...
Probably the first and only time a Sonic character endeared itself to me and made my want to cry.
They should totally remake his campaign as its own game.
A glaring issue with the idea is that taking his campaign out of the context of Sonic Adventure heavily lessens his impact.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
They were all friends that studied for two years together killing each other but didn't remember because their memories were erased by worst girl and the world outside is in an apocalyptic state and they were the ones to lock down the school

The author of the Journals is [REDACTED]
Yeah, I'm not that of an *******
What are these ones?

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I think we should have a staw poll (paging Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei )

Should spoilers be allowed in NintenZone?

A: yes, no spoiler tags!
B: yes, but with only spoiler tags and labelled
C: yes, with spoiler tags expect if it's five years or more, than no spoiler tags.
D: No, not at all.

I'm going to guess most people will vote either B or C.

Also apparently the Nintendo DeNa game is coming soon and it's unexpected. Source is on my Twitter (too lazy to link the retweet right now)

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Ugggggghhhhh....
So torn.

I have a little less than $10 on the eShop right now, and there's like a million great $8 or less games I could get right now. Ugh...
My current list of potential buys:

1. Mega Man X: Haven't played MMX at all, would love to beat the first game. The others are there but I want to go in order.

2. Excitebike: Don't own this (I've played though :p) despite being a huge supporter of Excitebike. What I originally planned to get but not sure on the replay value of this game (or VS)

3. Metroid Fusion: I want to play all the Metroid games, but I want to try new series first...unless this one is even better than Super Metroid, which I doubt.

4. Super Castlevania 4: Since I'm interested in Metroidvanias, I figured this would be a good substitute for Metroid Fusion since I've never played a Castlevania game.

5. Donkey Kong Country: Never played a DKC game and the trilogy is on the eShop Is it better to start with this one or should I just go for the best of the bunch (which iirc vaanrose vaanrose said was Diddy's Kong-Quest?)

I'm saving my money for now...Vote for my amusement.
Please. :urg:

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

C: yes, with spoiler tags expect if it's five years or more, than no spoiler tags.

Also apparently the Nintendo DeNa game is coming soon and it's unexpected. Source is on my Twitter (too lazy to link the retweet right now)
What I am your slave?

http://strawpoll.me/5639518

I'm allowing multiple votes as I feel people may like a couple of ideas available.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Ugggggghhhhh....
So torn.

I have a little less than $10 on the eShop right now, and there's like a million great $8 or less games I could get right now. Ugh...

1. Mega Man X: Haven't played MMX at all, would love to beat the first game. The others are there but I want to go in order.

2. Excitebike: Don't own this (I've played though :p) despite being a huge supporter of Excitebike. What I originally planned to get but not sure on the replay value of this game (or VS)

3. Metroid Fusion: I want to play all the Metroid games, but I want to try new series first...unless this one is even better than Super Metroid, which I doubt.

4. Super Castlevania 4: Since I'm interested in Metroidvanias, I figured this would be a good substitute for Metroid Fusion since I've never played a Castlevania game.

5. Donkey Kong Country: Never played a DKC game and the trilogy is on the eShop Is it better to start with this one or should I just go for the best of the bunch (which iirc vaanrose vaanrose said was Diddy's Kong-Quest?)

should warn you super castlevania 4 isnt a metroidvania

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

I posted that almost 12 hours ago. You're too slow. Check the pages.

Chrono.

Ugggggghhhhh....
So torn.

I'd go for MMX.

Metroid Fusion is pretty good, though not really a Metroidvania (at the very least it's much more linear and also has tons of Survival Horror), can't comment on SCIV, DKC is good, 2 is better, but I don't see a reason to skip out the first one (I will say that DKC1 has more slippery controls which can be... aggravating).

D

Deleted member

I still think spoilers should be used no matter what age the game or whatever is doesn't matter
It's more dependant on how well known it is because that means there is a higher chance of it already being known
But whatever the case, it's better to be respectful and use spoiler tags
It's not hard to do it anyways

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Ugggggghhhhh....
So torn.

Excitebike is a fun game, but after a half hour you're pretty much done. Castlevania didn't become Metroid-style until the Playstation game, but that said, Castlevania 4 is my favorite in the whole series. Sidescrolling platformer at its finest. Donkey Kong Country is great, but the second one is such an improvement on the first that it makes the first seem bad. You have to play the first one first, because going back after the second will only frustrate. That said, if you don't like DKC1, you still have to give 2 a shot, because it likely fixed whatever you may have disliked about the first.

Last edited:

Ganon K. Roolenstein

Smash Cadet
Ugggggghhhhh....
So torn.

I recommend getting DKC. I've been playing it a lot recently, beating it multiple times. It's super fun and hard, but short (only takes a few hours to beat the main game.) However, there are lots of secret areas hidden in the levels to discover. The more secrets you find, the more your completion percentage goes up. I haven't found most of them yet, as my file only has around 40% on it.

You should also get Mega Man X at some point. DKC and MMX are my favorite games of all time. They are masterpieces.

D

Deleted member

Ugggggghhhhh....
So torn.

Mega Man X1 and Super Castlevania IV are good starting points for their respective series, though as powerprotoman powerprotoman stated, the latter is not one of the Metroidvania-style Castlevania games. I'd recommend Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow if you want your Metroidvania fix.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Mega Man X1 and Super Castlevania IV are good starting points for their respective series, though as powerprotoman powerprotoman stated, the latter is not one of the Metroidvania-style Castlevania games. I'd recommend Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow if you want your Metroidvania fix.
Konami needs to put the DS Castlevanias on the eshop already.
Wait, ****, that would mean I'd have to give present day Konami money, nevermind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom