• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I never fight Lvl 9 CPUs. They'll make you (want to) throw your 3DS/gamepad out of the window.

Seriously, it becomes an exercise in how much frustration you can take.

:231:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I assumed it was because both you and N kicked their *** and they couldn't fight back enough. This is even touched upon in BW2 when Alder says he retired because he lost to N and couldn't protect the region.

Actually this is touched upon and deconfirmed in BW2 as well. If you use the memory link feature, one of the clips you unlock is about how during the time of the league's invasion, Cilian and his brothers were fighting the shadow triad at their gym. They get destroyed and the shadow triad leaves them. That's why they resign as leaders in BW2.

I really liked the memory link feature, I'd love to see it return in the third XY game.
My theory is that GF did that to stop those stupid theories, because seriously, how dumb do you have to believe that the gym leaders that are basically cheating are the Ninja plot devices?
I never fight Lvl 9 CPUs. They'll make you (want to) throw your 3DS/gamepad out of the window.

The worst part is when you just want to play but your internet is slow as ****
Seriously, is it hard to take out frame-perfect reactions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I can fight Level 9 CPUs somewhat fine.

Granted, it's with items on, so it becomes an exercise in luck more than anything.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
They lost a bet so they gotta use those avis for the rest of the week.
Poor souls, they bet on the wrong horse and now wear a mark of shame. :cheep:

Granted, it's with items on, so it becomes an exercise in luck more than anything.
Exercise in RNG sounds more like it. They grab an item that can mop the floor with you and you're screwed.

CPUs can't handle Ridley though. :p

D

Deleted member

This actually reminds of a 9.0 Classic run I did once
>On last stock
>Pokeball appears
>CPU grabs it
>"Oh no you won't"
>I beat the **** out of it
>Drops Pokeball
>Regrabs it
>"****"
>Repeat process
>Finally get it
>Summons Pokemon
>Who is that Pokemon?
>It's Goldeen!

How much you wanna bet that if it had used the Pokeball, it wouldn't have been a Goldeen? :^)
By the way, is there an inside joke between The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn Icedragonadam Icedragonadam and @BluePikmin11 having Dora the Explorer avatars? :p

I know, I know. I'm guessing they do it because most other fighting games do the same.

Difference being tho, is that those games don't usually have ****ing perfect shields or airdodges
I hate charging Shield Breaker only for them to PS it

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
This whole Dora thing is funny to me because this isn't the first time I've seen someone go around with one due to a bet. Nor the second.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
By the way, is there an inside joke between The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn Icedragonadam Icedragonadam and @BluePikmin11 having Dora the Explorer avatars? :p

I know, I know. I'm guessing they do it because most other fighting games do the same.

There was a bet on yesterday's patch. Several users betted on there being a character reveal.There wasn't and the punishment is having a Dora avatar for a week.

D

Deleted member

There was a bet on yesterday's patch. Several users betted on there being a character reveal.There wasn't and the punishment is having a Dora avatar for a week.
Why is it considered a punishment tho? You all have matching avis :p
I want to have matching avis with someone too, quick, somebody change your avi to this
073space-1.png

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I'll respond in mostly in order.

[stuff about faults]
No, not agreeing with a change does not mean I find fault in it. I personally felt that dodging was fine as is, but I understood that many players felt it was too lenient. It was a matter of taste, not a matter of the logic being wrong.
And as stated, if you find it justfiable, why bring it up as an example of a "unnecessary nerf"?

[significant engine change and get up attacks nerfs]
Yes, it was a significant engine change that didn't need to happen. Therefore the adjustments to get up attacks, which are a result of the universal shield nerf, is also unnecessary to me.
Except the very lenient shieldstun was one of the most criticized aspects of the game. While I do think people exaggerated the strengths of Smash 4 shields and people get information flatout wrong about them (I've lost count of how many times I seen people say Smash 4 shields regenerate too fast when they regenerate slower than Melee and Brawl shields), they were still really powerful and made most moves unsafe. An increase to shieldstun improves move safety across the board and help tune the game towards more offensive, which is ultimately better for Smash 4's competitive health. We'll have yet to see how it truly affects balance and we can only theorycraft that for now (I personally think it'll be better overall as the slower heavier-hitting characters will get a bigger net benefit, than the already faster more mobile characters who were generally safe already), but the engine change will be for the better regardless.

But even if I could test it, the point of patch notes is to be a quick reference so people dont have to test every single change them selves. Thank you for having them update that thread, though.
While most of the stuff is on there, the patch notes won't be entirely completed on there after just a day, there are things that get overlooked or isn't shown/apparent in the datamined data. Keep that in mind for future reference (though anyone claiming a non-easily measurable claim not corroborated in the patch notes without hard evidence is 99% likely to be bull****).

[more shieldstun stuff]
And again, you still haven't said why universal shield stun changes were made in the first place, just how they work, which I understand; I know smash, I saw the equation, and I understand math, so I know what it does. Explaining how things work after-the-fact tells people nothing about why the balance changes were necessary in the first place. It's like changing a U.I. of a site people think is fine; you can explain to users how the new U.I. works (though you probably dont need to like in this case), but it doesn't necessarily explain why it was changed. And when there wasn't a problem with the old one they are going to wonder why it was changed. Does them wondering mean they have no idea how UI works? Does it mean all the U.I. changes were necessary?
Except you didn't say anything about the shield stun in the first place, but just the shield damage reductions, so I addressed those. But moot point now, as I just explained the shield stun increase previously in this post.

So I'll rephrase my question to you. Maybe I was just unclear in my tiredness. Why do you think or feel the base changes (that resulted in all the qol and minor changes) were necessary and what do they accomplish? Personally, I think I see what they accomplish and why they were made, but I simply don't think it was necessary.
Explained shield stun and why it's a very positive change, and the slight air dodge/back roll nerfs tie into the greater offensive-tuning point (air dodge especially, as they're the biggest reason offstage is so safe most of the time), while the shield damage changes are completely negligible and won't make any real practical difference compared to last version, so there's nothing there to care about with them.

[technical terms / who cares]
There's a reason my initial post it was simple, off-hand remark and not a page long tirade. The only reason I'm still talking about it is because you asked what I thought and then proceeded to make assumptions, rude ones at that, about me and my thoughts, so I keep replying. If you hadnt responded you'd never have heard me speak of it again.

[stuff about complaining, lamenting, and terrible players]
That is 83% incorrect. I was wondering, not complaining because it just didnt matter much; it was literally a passing thought. I wasn't lamenting because it didnt make me feel anything and it wont significantly affect how well I play. I was half serious about terrible players being the cause of most of the changes, though, so I'll give you a solid 17% correctness on that.
Arguing about post intent is useless, but that is how your post came off, just like how you may find my posts rude but I have no such intent with them. Regardless, if it was just a "passing thought", it's not any less viable to being questioned.

[Luigi]
I did say that most of the changes weren't significant (thrice at this point I believe).
And there's a reason I didn't list Luigi in any of my posts.
Annndddd I brought up Luigi there as the only example of a direct nerf in the patch, to show why I found the claims of "unnecessary nerfs" to be unfounded to begin with.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
It happened again.
image.jpeg

Some guy screamed out in the middle of class "Zelda's a girl?!"
smh

Last edited:

redroses

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Marmalade
Still waiting for that Pokemon Z game news Gamefreak :c

Also, I can't figure out who my fav Elite 4 member is. I don't know what to really base it on, personality? Most don't have that much. Design or pokemon type used could do, but, that seems boring.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
My theory is that GF did that to stop those stupid theories, because seriously, how dumb do you have to believe that the gym leaders that are basically cheating are the Ninja plot devices?

The worst part is when you just want to play but your internet is slow as ****
Seriously, is it hard to take out frame-perfect reactions?
They probably did, but I doubt the shadow triad were suppose to have identities, just to be orphans. It would have been an awesome if they were though. Maybe Cilian being Ash's companion affected that? I still like the N is a zoroark theory though.

What am I chopped liver :(

We all lost bets that there would be a character reveal for the most recent patch. More people lost as well.
And what about me?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It happened again.
View attachment 75974
Some guy screamed out in the middle of class "Zelda's a girl?!"
smh
At this rate Zelda and Sheik have to flash themselves yelling 'WE'RE WOMEN YOU IDIOTS'
Still waiting for that Pokemon Z game news Gamefreak :c

Also, I can't figure out who my fav Elite 4 member is. I don't know what to really base it on, personality? Most don't have that much. Design or pokemon type used could do, but, that seems boring.
Something I'm curious about. Will Z introduce new megas?

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Okay... this is getting suspicious.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I'm always sleeping during these good conversations, but I'm not going to just let this one go because damn it, Lance is easily the worst champion. Not only does his team get weaker in the three years since red & blue, he's the only one who's entire team can be easily swept by a Pokemon ten levels lower than his strongest because they're all weak to ice or water except Gyarados, meaning any water type worth its salt can just tank Gyarados and destroy the rest, especially since the ones exclusively weak to Ice (and therefore avoiding STAB) are Dragonites with a 4x weakness to it. Oh, and if your Water type is Lanturn, lol.

Alder is also kind of bad. He actually loses to someone else before you reach him. Like, really, bro? He's the only "champion" in the series you never actually need to beat the complete the game.

Best is easily Cynthia, though. One of the few things gen 4 did right.

D

Deleted member

Sorry for posting this,but i wanted to share this:
EDDROY 001.jpg

I tend to draw stuff like this whenever im bored.
Fortunately Pirate Ship might keep me busy.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Okay... this is getting suspicious.
To everyone in this thread: Keep in mind this company enjoys jokes. Not to mention they know they'd get in trouble if they genuinely leaked it. Stop trying to find nonexistent answers

D

Deleted member

They probably did, but I doubt the shadow triad were suppose to have identities, just to be orphans. It would have been an awesome if they were though. Maybe Cilian being Ash's companion affected that? I still like the N is a zoroark theory though.

And what about me?
But how can he talk? And how can he be a trainer(**** what non-canon Mewtwo says)? And most importantly: that would make me a furry and how can I be a furry?
I'm always sleeping during these good conversations, but I'm not going to just let this one go because damn it, Lance is easily the worst champion. Not only does his team get weaker in the three years since red & blue, he's the only one who's entire team can be easily swept by a Pokemon ten levels lower than his strongest because they're all weak to ice or water except Gyarados, meaning any water type worth its salt can just tank Gyarados and destroy the rest, especially since the ones exclusively weak to Ice (and therefore avoiding STAB) are Dragonites with a 4x weakness to it. Oh, and if your Water type is Lanturn, lol.

Alder is also kind of bad. He actually loses to someone else before you reach him. Like, really, bro? He's the only "champion" in the series you never actually need to beat the complete the game.

Best is easily Cynthia, though. One of the few things gen 4 did right.
Battle wise, Lance was great
Also, good luck a 10 levels lower Water Pokemon being able to tank Outrage/Thunder
And how is Alder losing to N bad? I always see this when people talk about him but it's not like N had a game breaking Legendary or anything
Besides, Alder is the only Champion that actually tries to ****
The others didn't even TRY to fight the evil team bosses
And Alder is, like, an actual character instead of "LOOK AT MY PSEUDO LEGENDARY I'M TOUGH AIN'T I?"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
But how can he talk? And how can he be a trainer(**** what non-canon Mewtwo says)? And most importantly: that would make me a furry and how can I be a furry?

Battle wise, Lance was great
Also, good luck a 10 levels lower Water Pokemon being able to tank Outrage/Thunder
And how is Alder losing to N bad? I always see this when people talk about him but it's not like N had a game breaking Legendary or anything
Besides, Alder is the only Champion that actually tries to ****
The others didn't even TRY to fight the evil team bosses
And Alder is, like, an actual character instead of "LOOK AT MY PSEUDO LEGENDARY I'M TOUGH AIN'T I?"
The Hiker that gave you Snarl turns into a Zoroark after giving you the TM iirc

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
You mean there are still people out there who don't know? Jesus, I'd hate to see them when they find out about Samus.
There was a short line of questioning about Samus' gender. It was quickly resolved that she was a girl due to multiple people knowing she was a girl.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413

If you want to consistently beat the level 9 cpu then you should play bait & punish. Don't throw out attacks for no reason. Wait for the CPU to commit to an attack and then punish.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Favorite Elite 4 member...I really can't pick one, I don't care for any of them. I find the vast majority of human characters in Pokemon to be completely forgettable in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom