• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
As far as this whole Shovel Knight thing goes, I don't think he'll end up in. Regardless of this rumour.

It all boils down to the fact that it is Shovel Knight. As stupid as it may sound to some, I think that guest characters will stay exceptional cases and that we'll only see very important 3rd Party characters. I don't see more than about 10 other 3rd Party characters as being particularly feasible.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That's why the rule "Don't stick your **** in crazy" exists.

She's pretty ehh as a character but it was the design that was the appeal of her. If want a decent character, you try Cordelia but good luck on that. She'll never love any of her husbands more than Chrom, a character she can't even S-Support with
I hate Cordelia for that very reason lol.
That and she's pretty overated imo.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
As far as this whole Shovel Knight thing goes, I don't think he'll end up in. Regardless of this rumour.

It all boils down to the fact that it is Shovel Knight. As stupid as it may sound to some, I think that guest characters will stay exceptional cases and that we'll only see very important 3rd Party characters. I don't see more than about 10 other 3rd Party characters as being particularly feasible.
Outta curiosity, which ten do you have in mind? Does that include Sonic, Mega Man, Pac Man, Ryu and Snake?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Outta curiosity, which ten do you have in mind? Does that include Sonic, Mega Man, Pac Man, Ryu and Snake?
I'd choose these guys myself
1. Sonic
2. Mega Man
3. Pac-Man
4. Ryu
5. Shovel Knight
6. Yooka-Laylee
7. Quote
8. Shantae
9. Beck
10. That chick from Bloodstained

All very important, IMHO.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I think it's kinda dumb saying 'Not happening because of this character' as we all know how that went this time around
I hate Cordelia for that very reason lol.
That and she's pretty overated imo.
Damn ***** stealing the superior redhead's spotlight and paycheck!

Chrono.

Tharja only appeals for yandere otaku crowd.

She's a trope like pretty much the rest of Awakening's characters.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
The more people rally against Shovel Knight and give him crap.

The more my support for him grows.

You being a **** about it and calling it nonsense won't escape the inevitability of it all if the rumor is true.

It'll just make you look like a straight up ****.
This. And more to the point, it's fruitless.

If you complain and he's in, you've only made yourself unhappy.

If you complain and he's not in, what have you gained? You still have nothing.

To the haters: Don't take the lose/lose position. Just be happy with what you get. You don't have to like the character to enjoy playing with/against him. All you're doing is setting yourselves up for a position in which you rage-quit every match when someone playing SK beats you. Do yourselves a favor and lighten up.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Damn ***** stealing the superior redhead's spotlight and paycheck!
Indeed.

I used to hate Tharja, but after seeing Camilla I have realized she is not really that bad.
She's still obviously a terrible and creepy person, but that just means I can have someone who's almost evil on my team.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Indeed.

I used to hate Tharja, but after seeing Camilla I have realized she is not really that bad.
She's still obviously a terrible and creepy person, but that just means I can have someone who's almost evil on my team.
I don't see Camilla in the same way as Tharja, although that's probably because Camilla isn't so damn skimpy with the wardrobe department and how she has amusing dialogue from time to time, having a cat fight with Fate's best husbando

My favorite Awakening character was Sully making me 1 in a million¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Although my favorite support conversation will always be Lon qu + Nowi because that **** is hilarious.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
My favorite Awakening character was Sully making me 1 in a million¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Although y favorite support conversation will always be Lon qu + Nowi because that **** is hilarious.
I like how Sully goes full SJW in a DLC route in which some guy questions her being a knight only to be told it's her brash attitude that made him question it. Sully was rather useful, though her armor has a toilet thing at the top iirc

I need to see this

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't see Camilla in the same way as Tharja, although that's probably because Camilla isn't so damn skimpy with the wardrobe department and how she has amusing dialogue from time to time, having a cat fight with Fate's best husbando
Um...you sure?
Camilla puts so much emphasis on T&A it's nauseating.
Esp. A. Not to mention that one cutscene with Camilla is just..cringe.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I think it's kinda dumb saying 'Not happening because of this character' as we all know how that went this time around
Honestly, I think it's different than people who were saying crap about the ESRB leak because of Dark Pit or Duck Hunt Duo or whoever it was that people thought "this leak is fake because those characters would never get in". 1st Party Nintendo characters are COMPLETELY different than 3rd Party characters. We have no precedent for anything but the top 3rd Party video game characters being added to smash. But we'd previously had precedent for clones and retro revivals.

Even some of these are pushing it, but (no order on these):
Snake
Rayman
Tails (If Tails ever got in then I could possibly see Eggman get a spot on this list)
Leon/Jill/Chris (I'd air on the side of Leon as his games were more Nintendo-central)
Banjo-Kazooie*
Heihachi*
Spyro
Mickey
Bomberman
Simon

*Previously considered. (I may have forgotten someone, that's all I can think of from the top of my head)

Those are all characters who are relevant to Nintendo in one way or another, and I think there's each a reason to believe that they'd genuinely be on the 3rd Party radar. Obviously some of these do have some bigger hurdles to overcome than others though. I do think there's a possibility for some form of a SE character but I can't really think who would work. FF is such a huge series but I'm not sure there's any one character that could really fit the bill (as Cloud's game wasn't on a Nintendo system).

I know some people will vehemently disagree with my list, and that's fine. It is just my perception on the matter after all. If Shovel Knight does somehow make it into Smash, I will of course admit I'm wrong.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Honestly, I think it's different than people who were saying crap about the ESRB leak because of Dark Pit or Duck Hunt Duo or whoever it was that people thought "this leak is fake because those characters would never get in". 1st Party Nintendo characters are COMPLETELY different than 3rd Party characters. We have no precedent for anything but the top 3rd Party video game characters being added to smash. But we'd previously had precedent for clones and retro revivals.

Snake
Rayman
Tails (If Tails ever got in then I could possibly see Eggman get a spot on this list)
Leon/Jill/Chris (I'd air on the side of Leon as his games were more Nintendo-central)
Banjo-Kazooie*
Heihachi*
Spyro
Mickey
Bomberman
Simon

*Previously considered. (I may have forgotten someone, that's all I can think of from the top of my head)

Those are all characters who are relevant to Nintendo in one way or another, and I think there's each a reason to believe that they'd genuinely be on the 3rd Party radar. Obviously some of these do have some bigger hurdles to overcome than others though. I do think there's a possibility for some form of a SE character but I can't really think who would work. FF is such a huge series but I'm not sure there's any one character that could really fit the bill (as Cloud's game wasn't on a Nintendo system).

I know some people will vehemently disagree with my list, and that's fine. It is just my perception on the matter after all. If Shovel Knight does somehow make it into Smash, I will of course admit I'm wrong.
Remember when people called Royu fake because of Ryu?

Isn't Mickey 4th party? He's not a video game character after all

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Only Resident Evil 4.
The REmake was made specifically for the GameCube and had Jill and Chris as the main characters.
Revelations was made specifically for the 3DS and had Jill as the main character and Chris as secondary.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
All I have to say is, if
A) Shovel Knight doesn't get revealed in this month
B) Characters that aren't him gets revealed this month
C) He ends up only being a Mii costume despite the source of the rumour being confident he won't be a Mii costume
or D (the most unlikely scenario, mind you) Sakurai announce they will only start on ballot charactersafter the ballot ended despite the rumour stating that Shovel Knight was currently being worked on and was a ballot choice

Then the rumour is dead and so does my belief that Shovel Knight is a plausible candidate.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Problem with that. That would imply you ever thought Butt Butt was plausible, something contradictory to your previous posts about the character in question
Good point. The only reason why I decided to wait and see before declaring the rumour fake is because it was backed up by Push and Neo. If it weren't for that, well....

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Only Resident Evil 4.
The REmake was made specifically for the GameCube and had Jill and Chris as the main characters.
Revelations was made specifically for the 3DS and had Jill as the main character and Chris as secondary.
If you look at the original lineup of RE games you've got:

RE1 - not on Nintendo
RE2 - N64
RE3 - not on Nintendo
RECV - not on Nintendo
RE4 - Gamecube
RE0 - Gamecube

So barring remakes, Leon's games were 2/3 of the RE games that got initial releases on Nintendo systems. They're also pretty much the most successful/popular RE games from their times. There's nothing wrong with wanting Chris or Jill over Leon, I just think Leon fits better in a Nintendo cross over.

Remember when people called Royu fake because of Ryu?

Isn't Mickey 4th party? He's not a video game character after all
Mickey may have originated as a cartoon character but his gaming resume is nothing to sneer at. He's got G&W games, Power of Illusion, Epic Mickey, Disney Infinity and tons of others. It's not a case of like Spongebob or something. Disney have said they want Mickey to meet Mario. It's kind of far fetched but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I feel like you can also discuss a character's chances in Smash Brothers without the vitrol and hate that is spewed that fictional character's way too.

And before Burb Burb says it's about hurting a fictional character's feelings they don't have. It's not that. It's about the fact nobody wants to come into a thread and see negative words about their favorite things.

After all? You don't want someone coming into your house and saying your sofa is ugly or that the way you decorated your kitchen is trash.

It's the same concept. People have feelings and emotions tied to things they like.
Having read all that.....

....yup, it's still a stupid overreaction to get personally offended over someone saying your character of choice has no chance.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

RE1 - not on Nintendo
RE2 - N64
RE3 - not on Nintendo
RECV - not on Nintendo
RE4 - Gamecube
RE0 - Gamecube

So barring remakes, Leon's games were 2/3 of the RE games that got initial releases on Nintendo systems. They're also pretty much the most successful/popular RE games from their times. There's nothing wrong with wanting Chris or Jill over Leon, I just think Leon fits better in a Nintendo cross over.

Mickey may have originated as a cartoon character but his gaming resume is nothing to sneer at. He's got G&W games, Power of Illusion, Epic Mickey, Disney Infinity and tons of others. It's not a case of like Spongebob or something. Disney have said they want Mickey to meet Mario. It's kind of far fetched but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it happened.
That doesn't matter. Mickey isn't a 3rd party but a 4th party in contrary to your list. Not to mention the ballot says 'video game characters'. Though to be fair, James Bond's problem was guns according to Sakurai iirc

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Awesome! By the way I put a whole bunch of those red koopalings in that part so you had enough to jump off of to be able to cross. You're supposed to start with the ones on the left and go right :p.

That doesn't matter. Mickey isn't a 3rd party but a 4th party in contrary to your list. Not to mention the ballot says 'video game characters'. Though to be fair, James Bond's problem was guns according to Sakurai iirc
Mickey isn't 4th Party. If that even exists in this context.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Am I the only one who is tired of SK arguments?
Even more when te counter arguments involve things like Mickey having a legit chance of being in Smash

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

RE1 - not on Nintendo
RE2 - N64
RE3 - not on Nintendo
RECV - not on Nintendo
RE4 - Gamecube
RE0 - Gamecube

Actually, it's:
RE1 - remade specifically for the GameCube, Wii
RE2 - N64, GameCube
RE3 - GameCube
RECV - GameCube
RE4 - made specifically for the GameCube, Wii
RE0 - made specifically for the GameCube, Wii

Every Resident Evil game except for RE5 and RE6 (not much of a loss) are on Nintendo, either through GameCube, Wii, or N64.
Not to mention, Revelations (which stars Jill) is on both 3DS AND Wii U.
Meanwhile Leon's latest outing (RE6) is not on Nintendo platforms.

At best, Leon and Jill have equal footing here.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Are people seriously considering Resident Evil characters in Smash?

I mean, it'd be really cool and all, but I honestly don't see it happening, especially since Capcom already has TWO characters :4megaman::4ryu:

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
I love Leon but I think if they were to do a RE character that Jill would fit Smash better, especially sporting her classic uniform.

She's got a more colorful and campy design and has appeared in fighting games already. She's not the type of character I think they'd pick but I think they could make her work really well. There's more to how much a character fits than what games they've been in, IMO.

I mean, it'd be really cool and all, but I honestly don't see it happening, especially since Capcom already has TWO characters :4megaman::4ryu:
WE NEED TO KEEP GOING

DON'T STOP

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

...But neither Mega Man and Ryu were chosen because they are from Capcom.
Same logic used against Ryu when he wasn't confirmed. "Ryu can't get in, there's already a Capcom character".

Granted, I don't expect a Resident Evil character since Sakurai doesn't allow guns and nobody is asking for them, but Mega Man and Ryu aren't stopping them if both of those change.
In fact, I'm sure Sakurai would like to complete the Capcom trifecta of Mega Man, Street Fighter, and Resident Evil.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Am I the only one who is tired of SK arguments?
One part of me is telling me to stop getting involved in SK argument but the part of me that encourages me to continue frequently wins.:b:

Well, we already got two, so one more isn't impossible, particularly for the next game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I love Leon but I think if they were to do a RE character that Jill would fit Smash better, especially sporting her classic uniform.

She's got a more colorful and campy design and has appeared in fighting games already. She's not the type of character I think they'd pick but I think they could make her work really well. There's more to how much a character fits than what games they've been in, IMO.
WE NEED TO KEEP GOING

DON'T STOP
PHEONIX WRIGHT. BASS. CHUN LI. ARTHUR. VIEWTIFUL JOE. CLASSIC DANTE. FIREBRAND. SO MANY POSSIBILITIES! This is why I love Capcom, they've got a large memorable cast of IP

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Actually, it's:
RE1 - remade specifically for the GameCube, Wii
RE2 - N64, GameCube
RE3 - GameCube
RECV - GameCube
RE4 - made specifically for the GameCube, Wii
RE0 - made specifically for the GameCube, Wii

Every Resident Evil game except for RE5 and RE6 (not much of a loss) are on Nintendo, either through GameCube, Wii, or N64.
Not to mention, Revelations (which stars Jill) is on both 3DS AND Wii U.
Meanwhile Leon's latest outing (RE6) is not on Nintendo platforms.

At best, Leon and Jill have equal footing here.
The reason I wasn't including remakes in my analogy was because a game's initial release and success on a particular system can make that game feel like it's more strongly associated with other systems. When you think of Resident Evil 3 do you really think of the gamecube port? I don't. But when I think of RE4, I certainly think of the GC one.

It's different if it's a mascot rivalry like Sonic vs. Mario or Spyro/Crash vs. Mario.

If the "Capcom already has a character" argument didn't keep Ryu out, then how is "Capcom already has two characters" going to keep a RE character out?

We have definitive proof in Ryu that there's no arbitrary limit on "3rd party reps per company".

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
...But neither Mega Man and Ryu were chosen because they are from Capcom.
Same logic used against Ryu when he wasn't confirmed. "Ryu can't get in, there's already a Capcom character".

Granted, I don't expect a Resident Evil character since Sakurai doesn't allow guns and nobody is asking for them, but Mega Man and Ryu aren't stopping them if both of those change.
In fact, I'm sure Sakurai would like to complete the Capcom trifecta of Mega Man, Street Fighter, and Resident Evil.
Good point, but I'm sure he'd give priority to characters from other third-party companies because not every good character is made by Capcom......or maybe I'm a little biased and want Snake and/or Bomberman first :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom