• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Here's something to pass the time, if all current 3rd party series got a second character who do you think it will be and (if different) who do you want it to be? LEt's include Metal Gear too for completion's sake.

Sonic
Want: Blaze
Expect: Tails
Explanation: A lot of people will say Eggman but I think Sega is more liable to push their playable characters. Blaze is my favorite but Tails has been having a lot more prominence in Sonic's recent games, even if not playable.

Mega Man
Want: Roll
Expect: Zero
Explanation: After Marvel vs Mega Man feels incomplete without Roll to me but Zero is the only non-Mega Man to get his own spin-off series (as opposed to Tron Bonne's one game)

Pac-Man (Assuming the Pac-Man series doubles as NAmco arcade in general)
Want: Dig-Dug
Expect: Valkire
Explanation: Dig-Dug is a classic but Valkire seems to be a secondary mascot for Namco. Especially in Japan.

Street Fighter
Want and expect: Chun-li
Explanation: Chun-li has been in almost as many games as Ryu and is THE iconic female fighter.

Metal Gear
Want and expect: Raiden
Explanation: Unless they want to rename the original to SOLID Snake to get Big Boss/Naked Snake in there...
Sonic:
Want, Expect: Tails.

Pac-Man:
Want, Expect: Ms Pac-Man.

Mega Man:
Want, Expect: Protoman

Street Fighter:
Want, Expect: Ken

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I was thinking about Young Link's possible return, and I came up with some interesting ideas:

- He'd be a sort of middle point between Link and Toon Link in regards to speed and attack power. Not as fast as Toon Link, but still fast, but with a little more attack power than him.
- Up Smash would be three strikes, just like Link. However, it wouldn't combo like Link. Each strike would have around the same power as Toon Link's up Smash.
- Spin Attack can be charged and deals multiple hits, just like Toon Link. Bombs would work like Link's, but a bit weaker and lighter (can be thrown further). Boomerang would be like Toon Link's or Link's custom side Special #2.
- Fire Bow would work like how it did in Melee rather than working like Toon Link's version.
- Down aerial wouldn't be a stall-and-fall (like Link), but would have roughly the same attack power as Toon Link's.
- He would use kicking moves for the neutral and back aerials, just like Link.
- Similar to characters like Pit or Robin, and just like Link in Melee, he'd have both an infinite jab or a three strike jab depending if the button is pressed repeatedly or hold down. Of course, as per mechanic changes in Smash 4, the infinite jab would have a finisher.
- The overall design would be based on Majora's Mask, including the designs of the items that appear in said game, using Ocarina of Time designs for items that don't.
- Taunts: up would be the same as Melee (drinking milk), side would have him wear a Keaton Mask and take it off (similar to Lucina's down taunt), down would have him play Saria's Song on the Ocarina of Time.
- Final Smash would have him transform into Fierce Deity Link, in which attack power would be greatly boosted and invincibility would be granted. His sword attacks would also fire short ranged beams.

I don't believe this is going to happen anyway, but I admit it was fun to imagine possible changes for the character and ways to make him stand out from both Link and Toon Link.
Definitely what I'd expect to see if he came back.
Although I'd to point out that the only item Young Link uses that doesn't appear in Majora's Mask is the Boomerang, so you could reskin every item of his to be from that game.

I genuinely want Young Link in Smash 4 now. I would probably main him tbh. Or at least co-main.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Here's something to pass the time, if all current 3rd party series got a second character who do you think it will be and (if different) who do you want it to be? LEt's include Metal Gear too for completion's sake.

Sonic
Explanation: A lot of people will say Eggman but I think Sega is more liable to push their playable characters. Blaze is my favorite but Tails has been having a lot more prominence in Sonic's recent games, even if not playable.

Mega Man
Explanation: After Marvel vs Mega Man feels incomplete without Roll to me but Zero is the only non-Mega Man to get his own spin-off series (as opposed to Tron Bonne's one game)

Explanation: Dig-Dug is a classic but Valkire seems to be a secondary mascot for Namco. Especially in Japan.

Street Fighter
Explanation: Chun-li has been in almost as many games as Ryu and is THE iconic female fighter.

Metal Gear
Explanation: Unless they want to rename the original to SOLID Snake to get Big Boss/Naked Snake in there...
Sonic
Expect: Tails or Eggman

Mega Man
Want and expect: Zero

Pac-Man
Want: Spooky
Expect: Ms Pac-man

Street Fighter
Want: M Bison
Expect: Chun-Li

Metal Gear
Want: Raiden
Expect: Big Boss

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Definitely what I'd expect to see if he came back.
Although I'd to point out that the only item Young Link uses that doesn't appear in Majora's Mask is the Boomerang, so you could reskin every item of his to be from that game.

I genuinely want Young Link in Smash 4 now. I would probably main him tbh. Or at least co-main.
Admittedly, I was kind of against his inclusion before and still feel that he overlaps a lot with Toon Link in regards to being a faster, lightweight version of Link. I mean, Toon Link's moveset is basically be a semi-cloned Young Link kind of like what Luigi, Ganondorf, Falco and Roy became after their clone inclusions.

Hyrule Warriors Legends made me change my mind in regards to having both Young Link and Toon Link in addition to Link. Each can be made distinct, even if they are variations on the same moveset. It's kind of like having Marth, Lucina and Roy: they may all have similarities, but they all also distinct traits.

And yeah, only the Boomerang doesn't appear in Majora's Mask, so that would keep the same design as before. Bombs wouldn't change either, considering they look the same as Ocarina of Time. The Kokiri Sword, Bow and Hookshot all have different designs in Majora's Mask.

I still think it's unlikely for Sakurai to add Young Link as DLC. Frankly, the only character I want is Wolf, as I've said a million times before.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I predict we'll start seeing the Mii costumes/ other stage in the ext 24 hours. Exact prediction - 18 hours and 8 minutes.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I'm watching the Pokémon Go conference... Damn, it was sad to see that the trailer was dedicated in memory of Satoru Iwata, who had worked on the project. It's not common to see such a thing in a game trailer. :(
Had no idea he was involved :(

I've always wanted to play this, but I think I will even moreso now in his memory.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Had no idea he was involved :(

I've always wanted to play this, but I think I will even moreso now in his memory.
Pokémon Go was an idea Iwata and Tsunekazu Ishihara had for the franchise, so yeah, he was very involved in this.

A shame he never got to see it finished.

gameonion

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gameonion
3DS FC
4382-1966-1902
I recently replayed Super Mario 3D World...
Why do so many people hate it again? IT'S SO GOOD AND I NEVER REALIZED.
I really wish that game gets DLC some day. It's unlikely, but pl0x EAD.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Sonic

Mega Man

Street Fighter

Metal Gear
Sonic
Want: Tails
Expect: Tails or Eggman

Megaman
Want: Roll or Zero
Expect: Zero or Protoman

Pac-Man
Want: ???? idk
Expect: same here dude

Street Fighter
Want and Expect: Ken or Chun-li

MGS
Want: Raiden
Expect: Venom/BB/Naked Snake

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Sonic
Sonic
Two people choose Blaze the Cat as their ideal Sonic newcomer.
That's two more than I expected...
tumblr_ms0xpmTjmm1sobdp8o4_250.gif

That's amazing...
The hype would be insanely real if they actually went and added ****ing Blaze to Smash Bros.
Instant main.
Favorite Sonic character and the only worthwhile new Sonic character since 2001. Sorry Omega, but you're a depressing reminder that Gamma is dead

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The best Street Fighter character addition would be M. Bison.

Who wouldn't want to play as a dictator?

Chrono.

I was thinking about Young Link's possible return, and I came up with some interesting ideas:

- He'd be a sort of middle point between Link and Toon Link in regards to speed and attack power. Not as fast as Toon Link, but still fast, but with a little more attack power than him.
- Up Smash would be three strikes, just like Link. However, it wouldn't combo like Link. Each strike would have around the same power as Toon Link's up Smash.
- Spin Attack can be charged and deals multiple hits, just like Toon Link. Bombs would work like Link's, but a bit weaker and lighter (can be thrown further). Boomerang would be like Toon Link's or Link's custom side Special #2.
- Fire Bow would work like how it did in Melee rather than working like Toon Link's version.
- Down aerial wouldn't be a stall-and-fall (like Link), but would have roughly the same attack power as Toon Link's.
- He would use kicking moves for the neutral and back aerials, just like Link.
- Similar to characters like Pit or Robin, and just like Link in Melee, he'd have both an infinite jab or a three strike jab depending if the button is pressed repeatedly or hold down. Of course, as per mechanic changes in Smash 4, the infinite jab would have a finisher.
- The overall design would be based on Majora's Mask, including the designs of the items that appear in said game, using Ocarina of Time designs for items that don't.
- Taunts: up would be the same as Melee (drinking milk), side would have him wear a Keaton Mask and take it off (similar to Lucina's down taunt), down would have him play Saria's Song on the Ocarina of Time.
- Final Smash would have him transform into Fierce Deity Link, in which attack power would be greatly boosted and invincibility would be granted. His sword attacks would also fire short ranged beams.

I don't believe this is going to happen anyway, but I admit it was fun to imagine possible changes for the character and ways to make him stand out from both Link and Toon Link.
Yeah I find this fair overall.

I think the problem with the FD FS is that the Double Helix Blade is a two-handed sword, while YLink uses a short one-handed sword, so either his FS is Triforce Slash FD Edition or it'll be a transformation with like 2 moves similar to Dragon Yoshi/Mega Charizard X/etc etc

Kinda unrelated but I find it funny how Koei went ahead and supersized the Kokiri Sword in order to accommodate the FD transformation.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Yeah I find this fair overall.

I think the problem with the FD FS is that the Double Helix Blade is a two-handed sword, while YLink uses a short one-handed sword, so either his FS is Triforce Slash FD Edition or it'll be a transformation with like 2 moves similar to Dragon Yoshi/Mega Charizard X/etc etc

Kinda unrelated but I find it funny how Koei went ahead and supersized the Kokiri Sword in order to accommodate the FD transformation.
Or re-size the Fierce Deity Sword to be one handed. :p

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Sonic

Mega Man

Street Fighter

Metal Gear
It occurred to me that I never actually answered this.
Here goes. (BTW I really like how you set this up)

Sonic The Hedgehog:
Want:
Blaze
If a second Sonic character was added it would be Tails no questions asked. He's easily one of the most iconic platforming characters not yet in Smash and Sonic and Tails are inseparable.
Blaze is my favorite character (I didn't make that clear did I) so her getting in would be many magnitudes of hype. The only way I could see them adding her though is if they wanted one Sonic character to be from a game made on a Nintendo platform.
We should band together to make it happen, lol.
'Blaze Rushes In!"

Mega Man:
Want:
Proto Man
I would expect Zero for all the same reasons as Tails, but also, he has his own series and was even chosen over Mega Man in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (which was BS but it happened).
While Zero would be more unique, I'm a simple man. Just Proto Man as a Mega Man (semi?) clone with a shield would be a dream for me. Love the guy, he's just damn cool. Plus his theme song.

Pac-Man / Arcade:
Want:
???
Expect: ???

Street Fighter:
Want:
M. Bison
Expect: Chun-li
Chun-li is one of the series mascots (she was revealed for SFV before even KEN) and as someone else said, THE female fighting game character. Plus she would stand out from Ryu.
You know who else would stand out from Ryu? ****ing BISON. He's an evil dictator and he's got THE MEMES. You can't top that.

Metal Gear Solid:
Want and Expect:
Raiden
Raiden has technically never appeared on a Nintendo console, but hear me out: cyborg samurais.
Your argument is invalid.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I'd only really want characters that are iconic to the series. So naturally, for Sonic I'd go with either Tails or Eggman. Some of the other characters are cool and all but I don't think it makes sense putting them over the two, but that's just me.

Then again I just see Smash Bros and its roster differently, so there's that.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'd only really want characters that are iconic to the series. So naturally, for Sonic I'd go with either Tails or Eggman. Some of the other characters are cool and all but I don't think it makes sense putting them over the two, but that's just me.

Then again I just see Smash Bros and its roster differently, so there's that.
I don't think you see it that differently from most of the folks here. I was honestly incredibly surprised that anyone beside myself suggested Blaze. It they hadn't I probably would have just said Tails too.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
On the subject of another Street Fighter character:

Ryu has his iconic inputs from SF. If they did Chun-li or Bison, would they have to give them charge inputs? That would probably be a nightmare in Smash.

Chrono.

On the subject of another Street Fighter character:

Ryu has his iconic inputs from SF. If they did Chun-li or Bison, would they have to give them charge inputs? That would probably be a nightmare in Smash.
Chun-li only really has one Charge input move that stuck (Spinning Bird Kick), her Kikoken goes back and forth between being a Charge attack and a HCF attack, so she wouldn't really have much of an issue in Smash methinks.

Bison though...

Burb

The Absolute Worst
3 days before the update.Anyone still think were getting a character?
The closer we get to the SMM stage's release with no additional announcements, the less I think we're getting anything more.

Then why not just hold Mario Maker until that stuff is ready?

Releasing Mario Maker by itself doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Neither does springing all this stuff on us unannounced.

The last time they did something like that (Wave 2), we at least got a stream announcement days in advance. We haven't heard a peep so far this time around, and it makes no sense to just dump a character, additional stage, and costumes on us completely unadvertised.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Assuming we are indeed getting more than just Super Mario Maker, do you think that the DLC and the end of the Fighter Ballot happening in the same week wasn't a coincidence?

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
I mean there's nothing wrong with just releasing the stage on it's own.This may just be the case of us hyping over something that was never gonna happen in the first place

D

Deleted member

When does everyone think we'll get info on the new Nintendo rewards program? American club nintendo has been done for 3 months, and Europe and Japan is ending in 3 days, they have to be getting ready to drop this info on us

Last edited by a moderator:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
When does everyone think we'll get info on the new Nintendo rewards program? American club nintendo has been done for 3 months, and Europe and Japan is ending in 3 days, they have to be getting ready to drop this info on us
Maybe in a Nintendo Direct.

I'm really hoping the new reward program uses your Nintendo Network ID rather than a normal email address.

Chrono.

And so the hype train ends, at least for me.

If only because I don't have the money for the SMM stage yet...

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Er... I don't really want to start anything, but I found something neat on twitter.
SENPAI NOTICED ME.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Chrono.

Er... I don't really want to start anything, but I found something neat on twitter.
SENPAI NOTICED ME.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Ehh even if you're joking/not trying to start anything, I'd say the best thing is to do just ignore it altogether.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Ehh even if you're joking/not trying to start anything, I'd say the best thing is to just ignore it altogether.
Yeah, seeing all of his other tweets, I kind of feel bad. He was just making a joke about it.

I wish I could apologize, but I don't have a twitter unfortunately. But people make mistakes, its apart of life. Better just ignore then.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The closer we get to the SMM stage's release with no additional announcements, the less I think we're getting anything more.
100% agree. I've been telling people that if we don't hear anything on Monday than we shouldn't expect anything beyond the stage and perhaps a few Mii costumes. (Every DLC release, from Mewtwo to the N64 stages, has had accompanying Mii costumes.)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You know what I don't understand...
If they prepared this update solely as a tie-in to Mario Maker...
Shouldn't have come out closer to it's release or before, like the Splatoon trophy did?

The timing of the update seems very very odd.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
100% agree. I've been telling people that if we don't hear anything on Monday than we shouldn't expect anything beyond the stage and perhaps a few Mii costumes. (Every DLC release, from Mewtwo to the N64 stages, has had accompanying Mii costumes.)
I don't think there's any way to judge. We don't exactly have much to compare to, the only other proper character dump we've had (Mewtwo doesn't count as he was a bonus for buying both games) wasn't technically announced until 5 minutes before it was available to download.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom