• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Smash Bros was a game about Nintendo's gaming history
We got characters that are not from Nintendo, but I'll still take it since they're video game characters
But if a character like Mickey got in, Smash wouldn't even be about games anymore
It doesn't matter what Mickey is, he'll NEVER be a videogame character and as such, should never be in Smash
It's all "What If" Amigo. Don't get yer gamer loins jimmied.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I voted for Shantae, King K. Rool, Balloon Fighter, & Dragon King.

Shantae is the only one I voted more than one (3 times to be exact)

D

Deleted member

It's all "What If" Amigo. Don't get yer gamer loins jimmied.
Sorry, but I remember seeing some people in this thread that thought of Mickey as a legit possibility
Shovel Knight is setting the bar low to third parties but I guess a non-videogame character isn't ://////

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I voted for King K Rool :( lol

Pretty much the only two characters I wanted were King K Rool and Rayman, and it doesn't look like either of them are getting in (not based on fact, just gut feeling)

gameonion

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gameonion
3DS FC
4382-1966-1902
To be honest I would really like to see huge history characters that get picked that aren't video game characters (but must at least appears on Nintendo console).
Jumpman
Pac-man
Megaman
Bomberman
Rayman
Batman
Spider-Man
Superman
Starman
Pepsiman

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
If were going off of history with Nintendo, besides Mickey, there's also Popeye, since Donkey Kong was originally going to be a Popeye licensed game. I heard that Bill Trinon said to vote for him as a joke as well (Not sure if it was real or not).

I really don't want to talk about non video game characters anyway lol. Mickey would really be the only exception, and even then that's stretching it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
- I can only accept a few Disney characters with a very very huge history (Mickey Mouse, Pinocchio [he is fricking more than 100 years old!] and some others)

- yes if it's Mickey Mouse, there are a lot of people who wants to see Mickey Mouse meet Mario, and there is already a lot of Disney games on Nintendo consoles I think it would be fine having a Disney character in smash.
The story itself might be that old, but that's not new to Disney. By that logic Aladdin's far older. But assuming you were only talking about the Disney version...that's entirely incorrect. Pinocchio came out in 1940.

gameonion

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gameonion
3DS FC
4382-1966-1902
In a bit more than a week we'll probably find out the ballot-results, huh? Man...

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Since you guys love doing straw polls so much: http://strawpoll.me/5586810

I'm interested to see what you guys think.

Edit: I meant to post this in the other social thread, but you guys are cool too, I guess ;)

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
So, who here honestly think we'll get a new character in the upcoming Smash update?

I am conflicted. I sorta feel releasing a Mario Maker Stage, even if as promotion, would seem very odd by itself only. And it has been some time since we got a character. And with the Ballot Ending very soon, it'd feel like a good time to give us someone.

But on the other hand... I feel we'll get only the Mario stage. ._.

D

Deleted member

I just want a newcomer
A surprise newcomer
Ryu was cool and all but he was more leaked than Ganondorf has ever been

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
My pessimistic self says we'll only get the Super Mario Maker stage because it's the only thing announced. Likely along with Mii Fighter outfits, just like previous updates.

Though I have a gut feeling that we'll be getting some surprises that may be announced just before the update.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I just want a newcomer
A surprise newcomer
Ryu was cool and all but he was more leaked than Ganondorf has ever been
Well. I guess Shovel Knight might still be a surprise if he's revealed. Some people still don't really expect him :p.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Pinocchio first appearance was still in the 1890s it doesn't matter wich version it is.
Which means, like he was saying, that there are other Disney characters even older. The Little Mermaid was written in 1837, does that mean Aeriel gets in before Pinocchio?

Now, to answer the general question of movie/tv characters. If said character, despite debuting in a movie, tv show, book, whatever, also has a long and storied video game career, I consider them preferable to new kids on the block that are only in consideration because they debuted in a game.

Some of the absolute best video games of the late 80s/early 90s were Disney licensed, and those games have had a far greater lasting appeal and impact on the medium than a brand new indie character. We've even seen remakes of DuckTales and World of Illusion in recent years, the games were so fondly remembered. Now if we can just get that Great Circus Mystery remake, Capcom.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
So theres some things I'd like to point out about my theory. First, Nintendo has never said vote for characterS to appear as DLC. They've always been singular about this. For example

"If you post a video-game character’s name, we’ll consider turning that character into a Smash fighter!"

Note it doesn't say "those characters" but "that character." Minor fuel, but bear with me. I believe we only have two characters left, and only one of them is being selected from the ballot as DLC (although future titles will use this ballot). The other character is the obvious choice of Wolf, who is essentially preballot.

The next obvious point is to note that there are only two "Mario" slots left in the data. One thing to note, yes they can add more, but my question is why add the specific number to begin with? This update was added after the announcement and launch of the Smash ballot, so its possible that they already had 5 preballots in mind, and saved the last slot for the ballot of their choice.

Next point I'd like to bring up is the character select screen. Before I go into it, yes I know you can remove the names on the Wii U CSS. And yes I know they can resize all the portraits. Whats suspicious here is WHEN they previously resized the roster. It was resized during the last character patch with Lucas, Roy and Ryu. Whats interesting here is the screen in the current state can support two more characters without resizing it again. My question is why resize it with two more characters in mind when they did, rather than resizing it as we get each set of new characters added. The Wii U CSS, from what I understand, doesn't have a page two button in the coding, like the 3DS version does.

Then we have the bit where Sakurai said he can't have the development team around forever, and theres only "several" characters left. First question I'd like to ask is towards PushDustIn PushDustIn ...... How does the word "several" translate from Japanese into English. In English several is a very loose word and some like to thing it means at least "more than two." Last time Sakurai used the word several was during the the Robin announcement, where he stated only "several" more newcomer trailers were left (which ended up being 3 after Robin).

I want there to be many characters remaining as much as the next person, but I'm having many doubts that we are going to get more than two characters.

D

Deleted member

My pessimistic self says we'll only get the Super Mario Maker stage because it's the only thing announced. Likely along with Mii Fighter outfits, just like previous updates.

Though I have a gut feeling that we'll be getting some surprises that may be announced just before the update.
Oh yeah, and Mii Costumes too
After BK, I have hope for the next costumes
Since you guys love doing straw polls so much: http://strawpoll.me/5586810

I'm interested to see what you guys think.

Edit: I meant to post this in the other social thread, but you guys are cool too, I guess ;)
Yes, please
But when would it be? Depending on when you do it, I may or may not be able to participate
Well. I guess Shovel Knight might still be a surprise if he's revealed. Some people still don't really expect him :p.
Shovel Knight would be a surprise because it's a rumour, it's all up in the air
It'll be more of a "holy **** it's actually happening" than a "HOLY **** I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING"

Last edited by a moderator:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear anything about the Smash ballot until mid-October. It would give the illusion of "tallying" the votes. It would also line up with Nikki's October 16th Direct rumor.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear anything about the Smash ballot until mid-October. It would give the illusion of "tallying" the votes. It would also line up with Nikki's October 16th Direct rumor.
It's nor a rumor, it's a guesstimate. =P

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
If were going off of history with Nintendo, besides Mickey, there's also Popeye, since Donkey Kong was originally going to be a Popeye licensed game. I heard that Bill Trinon said to vote for him as a joke as well (Not sure if it was real or not).

I really don't want to talk about non video game characters anyway lol. Mickey would really be the only exception, and even then that's stretching it.
Mickey has so many notable games under his belt. It wouldn't be like adding Spongebob.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
I think it's because you can only vote for one character at a time.
Sure, but at the same time they've never used it in the context that there would be more than one character selected. Its more the fact that theres multple bits pointing to only two characters left. I hope we get an announcement soon so we can make a better judgement. If the Oct 14th direct is true, its possible we'd get Wolf announced then and released around a month later when SF0 was originally intended to be released.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
She said direct on the 14th with an update(i think splatoon) on the 16th.Not believeing her(just a data miner) but just saying

Last edited by a moderator:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Just kind of curious, what if a Disney Character was announced for Smash Bros.?

1.) How would you feel about it?

2.) And do you think a Disney Character would fit into the Nintendo Atmosphere of Smash Bros.?
1.) If it's Mickey Mouse, then I would be absolutely okay with it.

2.) Yes.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Do you have an image of that? Bulbapedia does not list it among their background Pokemon (Gastly and Haunter are present though).
I do not, sorry. Someone showed me a pic of it (or was it a video? There is soo much footage) when the background-stuff,disconfirms-Pkmn discussion started. :s

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
http://nintendoeverything.com/why-s...per-mario-bros-u-physics-for-all-game-styles/

I'm surprised (not really) that people are even complaining about this.

SMB3 and World were okay, but SMB physics are hell.
As much as I am a critical of the NSMB series, the one thing I say they absolutely nailed were the game physics, definitely the smoothest and most precise of any of the 2D Mario games. Just shame the level design in those games was so lackluster, and had few levels that really pushed you.

So this seems to definitively answers my earlier question on the physics, and universal NSMB physics while not having to play with the awful SMB1 physics is great by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom