• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Last edited:

Soul.

Huh. Pika Libre is a Speed-type character? I thought it'd be Standard or perhaps even Power. I know vanilla Pikachu is Standard.

Soul.

QUA QUA QUAAAAG QUA SIRE SI SI.

QUAGSIRE.

Srs tho I would like Bisharp please.
If Quagsire happened I would be laughing all day. Lmao. The troll potential is enormous.
Does this game even have Normal-type Pokémon. Let's add Zangoose or some ****

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I think it's perfectly logical for the ruleset to be determined by the people who actually play the game. The vast majority of these debates turn into arguments between casual players who don't attend many, if any, tournaments versus the ones who attend and play in them frequently. Why shouldn't the top players have more say in the matter, especially when all the same players win regardless of if customs are on or off?

And the comparison to Metaknight is just false. Neither the top players, nor the top characters, change at all in a customs-on versus customs-off environment. The pro players aren't against customs because they're afraid of losing (they're still winning), and it's not because they don't want to learn the match-ups either (there's a reason they still win, and it's because they have learned them). They've spent far, far more time with this game than any of us.

Who should make the decision if not the people with the most knowledge on the subject?
Sure players should have more say on a ruleset over randos who aren't actually attending; the attendees should always be prioritized, but a player being a top player does not mean they know whats better for the game and aren't going to be self-serving. The whole "being a top player means you know more about the game than everyone else" is fallacious, your ability to play the game does not necessarily equate to knowing more, and top players are just as vulnerable to being affecting by biases. You can look at many of the claims M2K and Zero have made (especially in Brawl) for examples, how much of the most knowledgeable players and best TOs in Smash aren't great players themselves, and pretty much any sport ever for countless examples of great players failing at a non-playing aspect of the game while more mediocre players excelled at coaching, scouting, etc. As such, I'm not advocating valuing everyone's opinion equally regardless of who they are, but rather that a player's ruleset opinion shouldn't be valued over another just because they can play the game better.

And the MetaKnight example demonstrates the self-servingness and how they'll oppose things that threaten their chances of winning regardless of how sensible it is for the game; the top players against MK's ban would have still done well with a different character, but nonetheless still vocally opposed it so they wouldn't have to play another character, even though MetaKnight's overcentralisation was clearly killing the game. For another example, look at nerfs; such players tend to be vocal about any nerfs of their character, regardless of how overpowered their character is and of the fact they'll still be winning. Again look at how much Zero whinged when Diddy got hit by the nerfhammer, and went so far to claim that Sakurai was specifically targeting him. People naturally don't like change that will threaten their chance of success, and when you're someone so accustomed to winning, that feeling is going to be amplified.

Regarding the effort point, assuming "you're better so you must put in more effort" is fallacious just like the prior knowledge point. Yeah as you go up, there's generally more effort put in, but the amount of effort you put in is not a 1:1 equation to your ability. And while top players have certainly put in a lot effort into the game, there are many more players who put in similar effort yet don't just have the aptitude to be anywhere near as good. There has also been many cases of top players not having necessary matchup knowledge and having high-profile losses to unusual characters (M2K in Brawl was especially notorious for his lackluster matchup knowledge and losing nontypical matchups when he first encountered them, while then proceeding to claim that character countered MetaKnight). Such players end up usually winning still not because they have every matchup down, but the fact player ability, the objective matchup, and adaption, generally trumps the psychological matchup, and the fact they'll be mostly playing the same top/high tiers they're accustomed to while very rarely encountering anyone remotely close to their skill level playing a more unfamiliar character.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
So for my first post on this thread. I have a question :

Is some person here that play SMM and have upload like 5-6 level begin to fear that they can't get enough for being to upload more? Because me, who have like 6 level and have some star here and there, begin to stress that i won't be able to upload more level. So what do you think?

Sorry for the HS but this question is important to me and i wanted to pose the question here. Thanks for anyone who can help me.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Nah, you know who needs to be in Pokken? Ursaring. Second-favorite-Pokemon bias aside, come on. It's the same guys who made Tekken. Ursaring, at worst, would be Kuma-minus-farts. Big hulking grizzly bear is a legitimate fighting style, dammit.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
WHAAAAAAT YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Awesome!!!

Too bad I don't have that firmware version
That's almost a wast of time consider there's a gamecube controller shaped wii u pro controller on the way...

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Those hints with the Smashified were all a lie.
In at least five of their videos, they comment on the mixed up order of the character releases, that is, it is not the way they originally planned it. I imagine, with this smash ballot being released soon, particularly with this big Wednesday update... they wanted to make sure, if the character is Dixie, their work is not in vain. I actually expect them to release another one or two soon, under the same premise. Of course they would still released characters they finished after they became a part of smash, I'm sure, but the appeal of it would be very different.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Nah, you know who needs to be in Pokken? Ursaring. Second-favorite-Pokemon bias aside, come on. It's the same guys who made Tekken. Ursaring, at worst, would be Kuma-minus-farts. Big hulking grizzly bear is a legitimate fighting style, dammit.
Ursaring, Beartic, Pangoro and Snorlax are all background characters. Like, crush all my hopes and dreams all at once, why don't ya

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
LOL @Zoroarking going the opposite of me with my avatars.

He'll just be replaced by Kuma as a guest fighter. It'll be Kuma dressed as Ursaring and Panda as Beartic

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Hariyama would be the perfect fit for Pokken, being a sumo and all.
My main hopes are Torterra, Arcanine and Staraptor.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
He made Duck Hunt work by borrowing a few moves from other Zapper games, what's stopping Shovel Knight from giving a few moves/nods to other indies to make him more distinct.

Sure, the shovel as a main weapon hasn't been used yet, but what else is beyond that. It would be like saying for example x character has only toy blocks or a rake as their weapon that makes them really unique, when really there's not much beyond that.
Shovel Knight does not need to borrow moves from other indie games. It's like giving him a move from Shantae and another move from Cave Story. Shovel Knight does not represent the indie games like Duck Hunt Dog does with the NES Zapper games.

D

Deleted member

LOL @Zoroarking going the opposite of me with my avatars.

He'll just be replaced by Kuma as a guest fighter. It'll be Kuma dressed as Ursaring and Panda as Beartic
I did say I would change to the best JoJo :p

But real talk tho, we really need some news
We're discussing Pokken characters for the 5th time
I hope they do some boss mode or something
Fighting Lugia and Zekrom would be hype

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Shovel Knight does not need to borrow moves from other indie games. It's like giving him a move from Shantae and another move from Cave Story. Shovel Knight does not represent the indie games like Duck Hunt Dog does with the NES Zapper games.
Hey! Haven't seen you around in a while, welcome back! :D

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
Snorlax is a background element? I must have missed that. I always found him to be a necessity on the roster so his exclusion will always be odd.

Now I really need a Hitmon or I will just be confused.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I have thought of them adding Lopunny for a while now. It makes sense.

Unless the "wow yet another Mega Evolution as the Burst attack" is a problem.
Lopunny could even Mega Evolve as it enters the arena so it's ready to fight. That'd be cool too.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I think it's perfectly logical for the ruleset to be determined by the people who actually play the game. The vast majority of these debates turn into arguments between casual players who don't attend many, if any, tournaments versus the ones who attend and play in them frequently. Why shouldn't the top players have more say in the matter, especially when all the same players win regardless of if customs are on or off?

And the comparison to Metaknight is just false. Neither the top players, nor the top characters, change at all in a customs-on versus customs-off environment. The pro players aren't against customs because they're afraid of losing (they're still winning), and it's not because they don't want to learn the match-ups either (there's a reason they still win, and it's because they have learned them). They've spent far, far more time with this game than any of us.

Who should make the decision if not the people with the most knowledge on the subject?
I'm kinda teetery on this point, and I am someone who's been frequenting the local tourney scene of late.

I get your position, and to an extent I agree. At the same time though, customs do offer an extra level of depth. It's also not just the Miis who suffer for lack of customs - Palutena was designed specifically with customization in mind, and her 1111 set is kind of 'meh.' She and the Miis were intended to be customized, and it kind of shows in the choices made for their base moves.

At the same time, I don't think customs really have much of a place at the competitive level if even Nintendo seems unwilling to support them further (and I'm not confident they've been fully balance-tested). Until DLC characters get suitable customs to match, I don't see it happening.

Bottom line... I'm conflicted, but for now I agree. Now is not the time for customs to make the pro scene, which itself still needs some more time to properly establish itself (in the sense that the meta is still fairly young). However, I have a little hope that that may not always be the case.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Ridley question. Sorry.

In the games where he works for other people, specifically Mother Brain, I've seen some images that sem to indicate he fights on behalf at times, of defending the creature. What exactly is their relationship- not just why is he motivated, but what is the interaction seen between the two?

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Ridley question. Sorry.

In the games where he works for other people, specifically Mother Brain, I've seen some images that sem to indicate he fights on behalf at times, of defending the creature. What exactly is their relationship- not just why is he motivated, but what is the interaction seen between the two?
I'm pretty sure Mother Brain keep Zebes from imploding, so if the Metroids are on the planet Ridley would defend MB with his life.

I think. That's for memory and it might e manga canon so we'll wait for our resident Metroid pro.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I dont care to go into a full conversation, just brainstorming conceptions of playable Ridley. I dont have nearly enough info on thé gamr. I just dont think there is à single character work. Artists always use barriers and limitations to problem solve, and the extra intention spent with this time, often leads to an even better result than had the limitation never existed.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
So for my first post on this thread. I have a question :

Is some person here that play SMM and have upload like 5-6 level begin to fear that they can't get enough for being to upload more? Because me, who have like 6 level and have some star here and there, begin to stress that i won't be able to upload more level. So what do you think?

Sorry for the HS but this question is important to me and i wanted to pose the question here. Thanks for anyone who can help me.
I recall reading that it takes 50 total stars to get 20 levels, and I believe you need 150 for 30. You can take levels offline and they'll still count toward your total number of stars.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Eh...looking at his channel now, he seems like he's making a billion videos just so he can make ad revenue as a youtube partner and even has very 'attention' grabbing pics in some like swimsuit Robin on his hacked youtube video.
I'll be happy to bring up my explanation. How all of his videos, just like a plumber named Mario's are completely fraudulent character based, explicitly derived to receive dealers, probably after sending you to algorithms which are available to all for a very price.

Strofirko

Smash Master
I think the problem with the customs on smash 4 is that the dev team stopped giving 2 ****s halfway through.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I recall reading that it takes 50 total stars to get 20 levels, and I believe you need 150 for 30. You can take levels offline and they'll still count toward your total number of stars.
I known that every 50 stars. You can upload 10 more level. The thing is that i have upload 6 levels and i don't want to erase them. Because i want that people can still see how many people have played it or such. But still, thank you for helping.:)

D

Deleted member

http://nintendoeverything.com/why-s...per-mario-bros-u-physics-for-all-game-styles/

I'm surprised (not really) that people are even complaining about this.

SMB3 and World were okay, but SMB physics are hell.
Honestly, this is for the best
You can easily remember that things like walljump, spinjump, carrying and throwing items, etc change with the game style and adapt from level to level
What you can't easily do is adapt to non-visual things like the physics
It's also a good thing they went with the newest games physics since as those are the most recent, they are going to be the most accessible

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Reposting this because PushDustIn PushDustIn hasn't responded yet
I think it's funny that the people how are most concerned with the Shovel Knight rumor are the people who desperately don't want it to be true.

Not that I think the rumor will come true (I don't), but going back to that quote as an attempt to debunk the rumor (or to look for reassurance) isn't worthwhile since "just any character" is a subjective term and may not mean much in the face of the ballot.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Reposting this because PushDustIn PushDustIn hasn't responded yet

On a slightly different subject, say what you want about the latter part of the Death Note anime, but this is awesome.

Just going to copy and paste my response to @GoldenYuiitusin, as he asked me the same thing:

Sorry for getting back to you late.

別格 is the key word. My electronic dictionary says "special case/ an exceptional case"

The Japanese definition for the word is:
  1. 定められている格式に拘束されないこと。特別の取り扱いをすること。「会社で―の扱いを受ける」
Something that is not restrained by an established rule. Special handled. [Receive first class treatment at the company].

http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn2/199114/m0u/

I have no intention of haphazardly [allowing] other companies characters from joining the battle, but this is an exceptional case.

Class of his own isn't a bad translation, but neither is exceptional.

From my interpretation, it seems that Sakurai just isn't going to allow justanyone to join the battle from another company. Of course, what that means and what kind of criteria Sakurai has on 3rd party character selection is a topic that we don't have a lot of information on. Appearing on Nintendo's consoles (as a courtesy), and limited in amount are the only 'rules', and they probably aren't as concrete as you would like to think. Remember that Heihachi was considered for Smash for Wii U/3DS, and he doesn't have a strong association with Nintendo (even less than Snake!).

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I think it's funny that the people how are most concerned with the Shovel Knight rumor are the people who desperately don't want it to be true.

Not that I think the rumor will come true (I don't), but going back to that quote as an attempt to debunk the rumor (or to look for reassurance) isn't worthwhile since "just any character" is a subjective term and may not mean much in the face of the ballot.
Except for the fact that there was an argument at the Official DLC discussion thread about it being a misinterpretation of what "Sakurai actually meant". That is the reason why I wanted Pushdustin to make sure it was correct and not a misintepretation. But yeah, way to be rude and accuse people of being "desperate."

Just going to copy and paste my response to @GoldenYuiitusin, as he asked me the same thing:

Sorry for getting back to you late.

別格 is the key word. My electronic dictionary says "special case/ an exceptional case"

The Japanese definition for the word is:
  1. 定められている格式に拘束されないこと。特別の取り扱いをすること。「会社で―の扱いを受ける」
Something that is not restrained by an established rule. Special handled. [Receive first class treatment at the company].

http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn2/199114/m0u/

I have no intention of haphazardly [allowing] other companies characters from joining the battle, but this is an exceptional case.

Class of his own isn't a bad translation, but neither is exceptional.

From my interpretation, it seems that Sakurai just isn't going to allow justanyone to join the battle from another company. Of course, what that means and what kind of criteria Sakurai has on 3rd party character selection is a topic that we don't have a lot of information on. Appearing on Nintendo's consoles (as a courtesy), and limited in amount are the only 'rules', and they probably aren't as concrete as you would like to think. Remember that Heihachi was considered for Smash for Wii U/3DS, and he doesn't have a strong association with Nintendo (even less than Snake!).
Now this is a much more constructive answer.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Except for the fact that there was an argument at the Official DLC discussion thread about it being a misinterpretation of what "Sakurai actually meant". That is the reason why I wanted Pushdustin to make sure it was correct and not a misintepretation. But yeah, way to be rude and accuse people of being "desperate."
Didn't know anything about a debate. I just recalled you repeatedly bringing up the argument that he was the "definition" of "just any character" in these past weeks. If that wasn't you I apologize.

I didn't mean to be rude, but I do think it's kinda funny.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Didn't know anything about a debate. I just recalled you repeatedly bringing up the argument that he was the "definition" of "just any character" in these past weeks. If that wasn't you I apologize.
It was in the Official DLC discussion thread and it concerned an argument about people misinterpeting what Sakura stated , possibly due to poor or misleading translation. And the whole "just any character" debate was more about how I felt that Shovel Knight shouldn't be in the game, rather than using that as a reason against the rumour. Trust me, I'm not petty enough to automatically call Tamaki a fake just because I subjectively don't believe in Shovel Knight, because that would be using my own personal opinion to debunk a rumour isntead of using actual facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom