• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Everyone knows that the real villain of all the Care Bear movies was the Boy from the first one that sang

"Can you build a house made out of wood, to keep you dry when it's raining"

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
He just wanted senpai to notice him.

I mean, he succeeded, right? It got a lot of attention because it was pretty well-done.

EDIT: I KAN ENGLISS YES!?

Last edited:

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
I got a curious question. Why are people so salty of Shovel Knight? I thought any video game character is fair game for DLC. No rules on who gets in via ballot. I could be missing something.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I got a curious question. Why are people so salty of Shovel Knight? I thought any video game character is fair game for DLC. No rules on who gets in via ballot. I could be missing something.
It's because of the fact that it means that the character they want might not get in, and people think that some characters are more "deserving" of that slot than Shovel Knight. I personally am all for Shovel Knight, as long as he plays well.

The world of character speculation is quite interesting when we have no idea how many people may get in via the ballot, but it's assumed that the worst case scenario is 1.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Because he's not le iconic enough.~~~~

He will open the flood gates.

Shrek will be next.

Smash will be forever ruined.

It's all a bunch of pretentious fan b.s. really.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
>Thinks he's "some nobody" indie character, albeit mostly true.
>3rd Parties has history with Nintendo, which to this point, holds some merit.
>Get's in the way of my wanted character, which happens for every character ever, even more intensified with again, 3rd parties and even more with indies.

I don't hate Butt Butt, but this is just how some people think.

D

Deleted member

It mainly has to do with how Shovel Knight is a third party that's not on par with Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, or Ryu in terms of an immense legacy and being an icon.

Soul.

I don't have a problem with SK. Only problem I'd have would be content that doesn't belong to the SK franchise.
If he's fun to play I don't see why he shouldn't be in.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Just gonna repeat some of us was hyped for a fake shovel knight leak just imagine what would happen if he really got confirmed

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Tried to play Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for my Wii U.

The text is so small its unreadable.

This is awful. I ain't playing this.

D

Deleted member

I want Shovel Knight in the game because:
He's a cool character
Has tons of moveset potential
Will come with kickass music
Is an excuse to change my tag to Butt Butt

People don't want him because:
Muh nobody
Not who I want
Waste of slot

And all of these reasons are wrong ;^)

D

Deleted member

I'd rather have so many other third party characters before I could even think of Shovel Knight. He's honestly at the back of the line for me.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Only Nintendo's "nobodies" are allowed apparently.

People bring up the "deserving" or "iconic" arguments often and how any Nintendo characters hold priority over smaller 3rd party characters even if they themselves aren't iconic. There's certainly merit to that viewpoint and I don't fault anyone who feels that way... but I think that since the ballot comes with so few stipulations other than "videogame character" Nintendo probably acknowledges that they are running low on priority characters of their own.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
At least someone mentioned the trophy text font being completely wrong within ten replies this time... :rolleyes:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Shovel Knight getting into the game will be a nuclear bomb. There will be many arguments that day.

I won't take part in them, though. I'll actually be using him.

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
If by some miracle Shovel Knight gets in, they should add an easter egg where if you change your name to Butt, the announcer actually calls him Butt Butt.

D

Deleted member

I'm neutral on Shovel Knight. On one hand, if he does join the roster, he might be fun to play as. On the other, there are other third party characters I'd prefer, though I'll admit that's partially because I haven't played his game yet (I'm waiting for the physical release). If I wanted someone with retro flavor, then I'd prefer Simon Belmont (as unlikely as I think he is).

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I don't dislike Shovel Knight. I love the game, love the retro-styling, love the music, love the characters.
I am of the mind that if we get an indie character in Smash, it should be someone with a little more of a legacy, who's not barely a year old, and has a history with Nintendo. Like Shantae.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
Expressing your opinion on how someone does something =/= Cyber Bullying.

I have feelings too, Miiverse.

I swear, the more time I spend on the Internet, the more hate I get.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I hadn't even heard of Shantae until this all started happening.

Shovel Knight? However. I knew who he was. I knew he was indie, but I at least knew who he was.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Funny how most of you never supported Butt Butt before his leak.

D

Deleted member

I'm neutral on Shovel Knight. On one hand, if he does join the roster, he might be fun to play as. On the other, there are other third party characters I'd prefer, though I'll admit that's partially because I haven't played his game yet (I'm waiting for the physical release). If I wanted someone with retro flavor, then I'd prefer Simon Belmont (as unlikely as I think he is).
Yeah, honestly for Retro I'd rather have the likes of Simon Belmont, Dr. Robotnik, Mega Man X, Bomberman, White Mage, Black Mage, Chun Li, Banjo and Kazooie, and even stuff like Arthur, Spyro, or Crash Bandicoot before I'd want to see SK imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I hadn't even heard of Shantae until this all started happening.

Shovel Knight? However. I knew who he was. I knew he was indie, but I at least knew who he was.
Well, I knew who Shantae was before Smash 4 even was announced, even drew art of her before to prove it. But I barely knew of Shovel Knight before the ballot, so, to each their own. Butt Butt mainly got exposure because of the ballot, much like Shantae, but he got mostly the ballot because he was just that recent.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
People don't want him because:
Muh nobody
Not who I want
Waste of slot

And all of these reasons are wrong ;^)
Sure, if you strawman people like that, it's wrong, but it doesn't change the fact that everyone has their differing opinions on the matter and they're not wrong in not looking forward to Shovel Knight's inclusion. Just like how you're looking forward to him for enjoying his game and potential, others are not because he doesn't appeal to them one way or the other and you can't dismiss their opinion just because you don't agree with it (and vice versa for that matter, but beside the point).

Plus, remember that we're talking about a DLC character, not a character within the full roster. So their opinion is going to be more weighted in that regard since they have to buy him separately rather then as the full package.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
He was the only character I voted for back in April. Oh, but you wouldn't know anything about that. /hipster].

But I think it's natural since this is a character that many wanted but didn't feel they had a chance. Now, a rumor makes him look plausible and he is suddenly a contender.

Soul.

I don't support characters. I wait and see, then be okay with the character's inclusion.
There has never been a character that made me unleash my precious, kind rage.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I don't hate or love SK, I'm pretty neutral. But icon status was never the issue for people.

Him being a ballot pick won't upset me because that was fan demand, pre-ballot irks me (which all the rumors are suggesting) moreso because of it wasn't a decision on Sakurai's part but more of a forceful Nintendo push.

The real reason has always been about this:

You have all these guest characters who had close ties with Nintendo for over 15-20+ years. Franchises who had their foothole in gaming for over 25 years and these characters are memorable to that gaming public but also these were characters that has that popularity from around the world.

Then here comes a game that was a Kickstarter, that was just a downloadable indie title, barely a year old, hasn't been released yet in Japan, only has ONE game, hasn't even established itself yet and doesn't have that consistency of success as of yet getting into the most popular crossover fighter featuring MEGA popular and fairly loved Nintendo characters with superstar guest fighters and over other faily popular third party characters and first party Nintendo characters. To quote an old famous saying "There goes the Neighborhood"

That said, Icon status arguments or not, this irks people. Now don't jump down my throat in saying that I'm wrong when all I'm doing is saying what those salty fans are saying, I really don't care about SK, I just want some new Nintendo fighters and Wolf back. That's my issue where he's the last lone DLC which isn't true at all.

To me, it's moreso how close you are with Nintendo and how much major history you have with them. SK has one game that on every system under the sun except for the 360(freaking why?) and had exclusive content with Sony and Microsoft before the amiibo announcement. Does he have a chance, yeah he has a small shot. Would he be a bad choice? Not really. Does he deserve (keyword here) be in? Not really because not everyone deserves to be in Smash and that includes Nintendo characters as well. But that doesn't knock him down in any way shape or form.

I'm just tired of talking about Butt Butt, right now.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think I have very openly said I have three characters I support support. They are Dixie, Tails, and Toad.

Then everyone else I'm cool with? Because I believe that it's best to just chill andd realize that if Sakurai adds someone it means he knew they were right for the game and would add something worthwhile.

And that no one he adds will suddenly negate any other character, nor open up the floodgate for nonsensical characters like third party characters with dead franchises, or aren't even video game characters with no ties to Nintendo.

So basically as I've said before? I'm just okay with whatever Sakurai and Nintendo deems worthy to add.

D

Deleted member

Before the ballot, I knew of Shantae through Nintendo Power and Shovel Knight after watching Super Bunnyhop's review of the game (and maybe a trailer as well, but I'm not entirely sure).

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
I have always supported him. Then again, the list of characters I support is really long and probably makes no sense to most Smash fans. :V

What the rumor did, though, was make people believe he had a shot (I don't think he does, personally). When people see that, they want to be on the winning team. Smash fandom loves to bandwagon, after all. I think people would rather be able to say the character they voted for got in, rather than that they voted for the character they wanted more than any other.
Well, I knew who Shantae was before Smash 4 even was announced, even drew art of her before to prove it. But I barely knew of Shovel Knight before the ballot, so, to each their own. Butt Butt mainly got exposure because of the ballot, much like Shantae, but he got mostly the ballot because he was just that recent.
I knew who both were. I'm actually a backer for Half Genie Hero, and I'm a fan of Shovel Knight and the other Shantae games.

I don't think SK just got exposure because of the ballot though. Unlike a lot of other ballot characters, he's actually someone people talk about outside of Smash Bros discussion. His game continues to get updates and is one of the better selling e-Shop games out there right now. He's also doing wacky crossovers on other systems and is the first third party character ever to have an Amiibo. He's got a fair amount of exposure.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
a forceful Nintendo push.
Honestly, if you think Sakurai is the only one who has say in Smash and is the only one that has probably made the sole decision to add someone to Smash Brothers, you've already failed yourself.

He's making this game for Nintendo. For himself too? Sure, but mostly he's got to play to Nintendo's wants as well.

That's his job.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can't really predict what Nintendo does, but I very strongly doubt Shovel Knight is getting in or Nintendo is pushing him to be in Smash Bros.

I think Nintendo is just supporting their indie scene they advertised a lot during the initial launch of the Wii U with stuff like a amiibo for Shovel Knight. I don't take it any further than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom