• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul.

Don't worry, someday we'll all be happy with the roster and only worry about the balance.
thank god balance patches exist

D

Deleted member

I remember before PlayStation All-Stars was a thing, I was against the idea of Crash and Spyro appearing in Smash Bros. After All-Stars bombed with neither of the two being featured and a very slim chance of a sequel coming into fruition, I became increasingly open to them being included in Smash. Seeing two former unofficial PlayStation mascots duking it out against Mario and Sonic would admittedly be pretty hype for me.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Don't worry, someday we'll all be happy with the roster and only worry about the balance.
thank god balance patches exist
I'm here to tell you that this day, we'll never exist. It will only happen when the last Smash game is made and we're forced to realize that we're never getting any more characters.

Otherwise? As long as Smash is a running franchise. There will always be a problem with the roster for somebody somewhere.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I just want Smash Bros. to be like Brawl Minus: Broken, but balanced. :)
Minus was definitely my favorite Brawl mod by far, and the funnest Smash game period for casual play. Shame it got dropped competitively after PM 2.5 came out, to the point of rarely ever being a side event. I thought it had some untapped competitive potential and provided a fully unique experience from the other Smash games.

It's also the only Smash game/mod with an actually good Dedede, the Waddle control gimmick is amazing.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If Spyro was in Smash, it wouldn't be his Skylanders design.
Skylanders keeps him "relevant" sure, but if Sakurai refused to use Ghostly Adventures Pac-Man I doubt he'd pass on this Spyro:

over this:

I thought people were exaggerating, but this actually is pretty ugly.
Like, really ugly.
Like "how do they even get away with calling this thing Spyro" tier ugly.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Skylanders keeps him "relevant" sure, but if Sakurai refused to use Ghostly Adventures Pac-Man I doubt he'd pass on this Spyro:

over this:

Like, really ugly.
Seriously. That's like the only thing that would make me not want him.

Give me the classic design (and some remixes) and I will literally not complain about anything.

D

Deleted member

over this:

Like, really ugly.
I was going to question whether or not they would use the Legend of Spyro series design over the original, but then I remembered of the few Spyro games to be released in Japan, none of them were from the Legend of Spyro series.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Real talk: The only Spyro game I actually own is Enter The Dragonfly.
I didn't know it was supposed to be bad and I hadn't owned one before...

I think I played the first game though. That or the second. Spyro is kind of like a childhood icon for me, like Pac-Man.

Soul.

I'm here to tell you that this day, we'll never exist. It will only happen when the last Smash game is made and we're forced to realize that we're never getting any more characters.

Otherwise? As long as Smash is a running franchise. There will always be a problem with the roster for somebody somewhere.
I dunno, seems like I'm the only one not complaining about the roster.

It is true that people will complain, but honestly, when people realize that they won't be getting any new ones they'll complain too. I guess people can't always be happy lol

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
in other news i saw the new endings for dragon quest 8 3ds.....i really wish it was out in the us now

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Sometimes I feel like I was the only person who actually expected Rosalina to make it in. Her and Palutena were the ones I considered most likely, with Little Mac right behind.

D

Deleted member

Sometimes I feel like I was the only person who actually expected Rosalina to make it in. Her and Palutena were the ones I considered most likely, with Little Mac right behind.
I did expect her too
Though I didn't have the thought process I have now so I assumed all recent and relevant characters were obvious
Like Pokemon from X and Y, Animal Crossing Guy, Palutena(most for the leak tho)
And Mega Man because Sakurai had basically confirmed him with "a Capcom character might appear in the game"
Like, why was half of the community even surprised?

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I always thought Rosalina was one of the most likely characters, and thought she was the most likely Mario newcomer. I'm still surprised so many people thought she was so unlikely.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hind sight is eating you guys alive. XD

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Imo, Rosalina only really had a chance once she was revealed in SM3DW. Even then, I considered her rather unlikely.

Her being playable wasn't even a thought in my mind before that.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Imo, Rosalina only really had a chance once she was revealed in SM3DW. Even then, I considered her rather unlikely.

Her being playable wasn't even a thought in my mind before that.
That was the general consenses back then.

Most people were assuming it would be Jr. :4bowserjr: (I was and was hyped when he came true) or Toad (which I am sad is not playable yet).

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Hind sight is eating you guys alive. XD
For the record, I wasn't really a part of the Smash fanbase back then, so I didn't see how little people expected her until after the fact.

I definitely expected her, though. She was on my prediction list that I made after E3 2013, along with Palutena, Little Mac, Miis, Lucina, Shulk, and some other dumb predictions that didn't make it. Admittedly, Shulk I would consider lucky, since even back then it was kind of a "Probably won't make it but I'm kind of feeling it" choice.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
That was the general consenses back then.

Most people were assuming it would be Jr. :4bowserjr: (I was and was hyped when he came true) or Toad (which I am sad is not playable yet).
Where I was it was mostly Waluigi and Paper Mario (4chan and NeoGAF)

4chan's most requested was Ridley, Takamaru, Ashley, Skull Kid, Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Sceptile (I still don't know where this came from), Ray.MK 2, Lip and Wonder Red (his support didn't come until much later).

:4palutena::4littlemac:&:4mewtwo: we're pretty high as usual.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
:4megaman::4littlemac::4mii::4palutena::4pacman::4shulk::4bowserjr: were who Smashboards typically deemed as likely.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Where I was it was mostly Waluigi and Paper Mario (4chan and NeoGAF)

4chan's most requested was Ridley, Takamaru, Ashley, Skull Kid, Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Sceptile (I still don't know where this came from), Ray.MK 2, Lip and Wonder Red (his support didn't come until much later).
"muh complete the trio!!"
People started suggesting Sceptile after Charizard and Greninja were revealed, to complete the Grass-Water-Fire starter trio quota left by Squirtle and Ivysaur being cut.
Then people who actually wanted Sceptile started intensifying the bandwagon support.

Like Impa.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm probably one of the biggest Rosalina fans this thread has.

I even named myself after her.

No one was talking Rosalina as a serious contender for Smash. Like even her biggest fans thought she was nothing more than a shiny pipe dream, and we expected at most assist trophy.

Everyone thought Jr or Toad were the only ones likely. Our hopes only went up a tiny bit with her reveal in 3D world and the Galaxy stage.

Not many of us thought about her as a serious contender because we thought there were too many potential Mario newcomers that would get in before her.

She was far too new and fresh and even somewhat un-proven too if she had lasting power.

Sure she was popular, but so are a lot of Mario's characters.

Her uniqueness truly is what was her saving grace. Her popularity helped, yes, but she was definitely not a predictable newcomer in the least, even for her biggest fans.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Hell, even taking Toad and Jr out of the mix. I would've thought Paper Mario would've been in Smash before Rosalina.

Last edited:

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
I dunno, seems like I'm the only one not complaining about the roster.

It is true that people will complain, but honestly, when people realize that they won't be getting any new ones they'll complain too. I guess people can't always be happy lol
I'm pretty content with the roster honestly, so you're not alone. And honestly I'll be fine with whoever else we get. If it's someone I really don't want, then I won't buy them. But I highly doubt since there are "several more" that are "fan requested" that I'll actually hate any character we get.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well, that's lucky.
Though you're forgetting Ridley, King K. Rool, Isaac, Chrom, and...
And...
Ghirahim. :crying:

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Takamaru.
I was specifically talking about the ones confirmed.

Still 50/50 ain't bad for something like this.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
"muh complete the trio!!"
People started suggesting Sceptile after Charizard and Greninja were revealed, to complete the Grass-Water-Fire starter trio quota left by Squirtle and Ivysaur being cut.
Then people who actually wanted Sceptile started intensifying the bandwagon support.

Like Impa.
To add onto this, people also wanted a pokemon from a gen "not represented" yet, which when combined with wanting a final evolution grass starter, left Meganium, Serperior, and Sceptile. Among that group, Sceptile was easily the most "combat ready" and smoothest fit into Smash, thus leading to the bandwagon behind him getting off. Then came ORAS, which led to Sceptile support getting more fervent as people thought Sceptile would be added to "promote" it.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
:4megaman::4littlemac::4mii::4palutena::4pacman::4shulk::4bowserjr: were who Smashboards typically deemed as likely.
And who did Smashboards think likely that didn't actually make it? Prior to Gematsu, anyway.

I'm probably one of the biggest Rosalina fans this thread has.

I even named myself after her.

No one was talking Rosalina as a serious contender for Smash. Like even her biggest fans thought she was nothing more than a shiny pipe dream, and we expected at most assist trophy.

Everyone thought Jr or Toad were the only ones likely. Our hopes only went up a tiny bit with her reveal in 3D world and the Galaxy stage.

Not many of us thought about her as a serious contender because we thought there were too many potential Mario newcomers that would get in before her.

She was far too new and fresh and even somewhat un-proven too if she had lasting power.

Sure she was popular, but so are a lot of Mario's characters.

Her uniqueness truly is what was her saving grace. Her popularity helped, yes, but she was definitely not a predictable newcomer in the least, even for her biggest fans.
I don't mean to think you're addressing this directly to me, but since I'm definitely one of the people you must mean to talk to, let me put it this way: if I say I expected Palutena and Little Mac, would anyone doubt me? Probably not. Everyone expected them. But if I say I expected Rosalina, "it's hind sight bias" (not what you said, but you seem to be insinuating it)? Really?

Again, I wasn't part of any Smash-specific fandom when I made my predictions (You can see that I joined Smashboards when Robin and Lucina were revealed), so I wasn't influenced by many. I thought Rosalina was coming because of how much Nintendo was using her despite being somewhat new. In my eyes, they seemed to care about her more than the likes of Bowser Jr. or Waluigi (I also predicted Toad, though I considered Rosalina more likely).

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Palutena to an extent was only ''predictable" because Sakurai helped to shape her new personality and identity.

Plus you know she was in the strongest leak of them all.

If anyone else but Sakurai had created the new Kid Icarus, Palutena would be looked at as what she truly should've been looked at.

Could have went either way. Her franchise while great isn't exactly a big huge seller for Nintendo, plus as her trailer even says she's not much of a fighter, instead sending Pit and others into battle for her.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
And who did Smashboards think likely that didn't actually make it? Prior to Gematsu, anyway.

I don't mean to think you're addressing this directly to me, but since I'm definitely one of the people you must mean to talk to, let me put it this way: if I say I expected Palutena and Little Mac, would anyone doubt me? Probably not. Everyone expected them. But if I say I expected Rosalina, "it's hind sight bias" (not what you said, but you seem to be insinuating it)? Really?

Again, I wasn't part of any Smash-specific fandom when I made my predictions (You can see that I joined Smashboards when Robin and Lucina were revealed), so I wasn't influenced by many. I thought Rosalina was coming because of how much Nintendo was using her despite being somewhat new. In my eyes, they seemed to care about her more than the likes of Bowser Jr. or Waluigi (I also predicted Toad, though I considered Rosalina more likely).
Ridley, K.Rool, Dixie, Chrom, Isaac and Takamaru were the others typically.

Dunno why Kenith put Ghirahim. He was one most of us wanted but didn't expect.

Again. 50/50 ain't bad for stuff like that.

And hindsight bias wasn't directed towards Rosalina making it in or you predicting her. It was towards the attitude of "lol why did anyone think differently" ya know? The attitude that changes to be right and conveniently forgets former opinions and such. You didn't do it. Others did.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Even when Rosalina's trailer leaked a little early I still didn't believe till watching the Direct. That was how unsure of her chances I was.

This was before Artsy was giving us those quality fake video leaks too.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Palutena to an extent was only ''predictable" because Sakurai helped to shape her new personality and identity.

Plus you know she was in the strongest leak of them all.

If anyone else but Sakurai had created the new Kid Icarus, Palutena would be looked at as what she truly should've been looked at.

Could have went either way. Her franchise while great isn't exactly a big huge seller for Nintendo, plus as her trailer even says she's not much of a fighter, instead sending Pit and others into battle for her.
I made my first predictions after E3 2013; Palutena wasn't part of any significant leak then, but I didn't know about Gematsu at the time anyway.

But that doesn't even matter, because I was predicting Palutena for Smash 4 from as far back as the Brawl days, not even joking. When I saw her in Pit's final smash, I said to myself, "I bet if we get another KI character next game it will be her." When I heard Sakurai was making a new Kid Icarus game, that nailed it for me.

And hindsight bias wasn't directed towards Rosalina making it in or you predicting her. It was towards the attitude of "lol why did anyone think differently" ya know? The attitude that changes to be right and conveniently forgets former opinions and such. You didn't do it. Others did.
I see. That makes sense.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
:4feroy:I think we all predicted someone who was unlikely.

I mean I predicted Roy.

Most of you thought he was dead in the water and actively didn't want him back.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Dunno why Kenith put Ghirahim. He was one most of us wanted but didn't expect.
Um, towards the beginning and end of speculation a lot of people were starting to be sure of him.
Towards the beginning Skyward Sword was fresh on everyone's mind and so they expected a newcomer from it.
Meanwhile towards the end, all of the other candidates - Skull Kid, Midna, Tingle, Fi - had been effectively killed off, leaving only Ghirahim and Impa.

So yeah a lot of people were expecting Ghirahim.
Not the majority, but a lot.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Before I really started following Smashboards, I thought Rosalina was a likely Mario contender. Especially when she was revealed to be playable in SM3DW, and also when the Mario Galaxy stage was fully revealed. What's funny is that later down the line I even thought a secondary Mario addition was likely. I speculated that it was between Paper Mario, Bowser Jr., and Dr. Mario. The reason I started speculating that was due to thinking that we would get Mewtwo since I didn't believe at the time that they were going to downgrade the number of playable Pokemon representatives from Brawl (6 in Brawl, 5 in Smash 4), and I also thought a Zelda newcomer was somewhat likely. That way there would be equal representation among those franchises. What I didn't expect was that we'd end up getting both Bowser Jr. and Dr. Mario, and with that not getting an additional Pokemon character (Mewtwo) in the base game.
I guess you win some and lose some...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom