• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Bumping this thread with several comments regarding Takamaru.

Takamaru I feel has potential from a different prospective outside of gameplay. What I mean is visual style, with The Mysterious Murasame Castle giving something fresh to the table in the form of Japanese culture. You see, Takamaru is not only one of those japan only characters akin to Marth or Lucas, but also literally a character from Japan (specifically the Edo era of Japan). This means that a bit of Japanese culture will take influence on the character and the setting.

Now you might be saying "Why would Japanese culture be a big deal?". Well aesthetically, Japan related content tends to have a notable style that expresses emotion by mixing environments and movements to make almost a poetic expression. For example, Murasame Castle could be a beautiful place with sakura blowing in the wind, some chimes gently ringing, and a small river flowing underneath a bridge. A very soothing feeling at first, but then the sky could turn a blood red with all of the sakura wilting away and the river drying up, with mysterious figures stalking in the background and the mysterious alien deity that took over Murasame Castle watching anonymously around the castle itself. It would cycle between the peace and the chaos, like a never ending battle of good vs. evil.

The music would also be remixed to reflect the culture, like using Japanese instruments like the Taiko (drum), Shakuhachi (flute), and Shamisen (string instrument) to name a few. For comparison sake, compare the original overworld song with a hypothetical remix.

Finally, there is Takamaru. The character takes influence from samurais, which are famous in culture for having a strong sense of honor. Samurais in real life have a strong sense of chivalry and loyalty, and will never carelessly kill commoners. Meditation is actually a strong influence with the samurai culture as it allows them to calm their mind of any violent intentions. Takamaru could be influenced by some of these points in a hypothetical story mode, like being a pacifist by heart but will retaliate if ever necessary. Like a character that doesn't start fights, but will finish them one way or another. This would also be influenced in varies taunts and victory poses too.

Of course there is also what kind of moves that will be used too. As you may know, Takamaru is mainly associated with the katana and the shurikens in the varies appearances. But what about several more options in his arsenal to again reflect his status as a samurai? Like the Tessen (Japanese war fan) which he can use for a down smash and for shielding, the Kaginawa (hooked rope) as a grab akin to Link's Hookshot or Samus's Grapple Beam, and possibly smoke bombs as a down special. Takamaru also has some magic capabilities like the ability to shoot fireballs and wipe out enemies with a large lightning bolt. The latter could be refined and used as a final smash, and the former might be referenced by the shurikens being explosive.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Takamaru would be great, with the samurai moveset and then possible specials as fireballs, shurikens, and lightning it would be amazing

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, I decided to make a Special set for Takamaru. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

Neutral Special: Shurikens.

Takamaru, with lightning speed, throws shurikens in all four cardinal directions based on how long the charge was held. The pattern is >, ^, <, and V (assuming Takamaru is in the air.). The attack does about 10% per hit.

Side Special: Torch Touch

Also known as "Me trying to differentiate Takamaru's Fireballs from Mario or Luigi's." As these had a very short range in the source material, this is what I thought. Basically, if the opponent was close enough, Takamaru would touch them, but with some mystical power, set his opponent on fire. The burning foe will be semi trapped, being able to move slowly due to the damage stopping them each step. Typically, if the opponent doesn't shake it off, they stay ablaze for five cycles of damage, doing roughly 3% each time, doing up to 15%.

Up Special: Windmill Swords.

Takamaru leaps upwards and pulls out an additional katana. He spins the two beneath him to make the windmill sword effect, pushing him further upwards like a propeller. The gust sends opponents beneath Takamaru flying downwards. A swipe from the katana does 10%, 20% if at the sword's tip.

Down Special: Invisibility.

Takamaru drops a smoke bomb and when the dust settles, he turns invisible. For roughly 15 seconds, invisible Takamaru can do however he pleases and sneak up on foes to attack. He still can get hurt, however, but the facade won't break. Requires a 30 second cool down before using the move again.

Final Smash: Ancient Lightning

The stage gets covered by a misty fog and water deep enough so that all characters must swim. Except Takamaru, of course, because he can walk on water. Takamaru can then call down three bolts of lightning by pressing B. If the opponents get hit, or even worse, stay in the water as the lightning comes down, they get fried, doing great knockback, electric damage, and a total of 30%

Open to suggestions.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
with him having two recent appearences/cameos in Samurai Warriors 3 and Nintendo Land, I think Takamaru is one of the best retro candidates to make into Smash.

good moveset ideas here, combining some ninja techniques as well. he would stand out from the rest of the cast, despite being another sword user.

...and who wouldn't want a samurai character in Smash? :awesome:

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
If Takamaru is not in the next smash game i will be very, very dissapointed! he has evrything he needs to be a fun and popular character!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I could see the character becoming popular in the Super Smash Bros. fan base as a darkhorse of sorts in a vein to Captain Falcon. There just needs to be the right chemistry to make it work.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm glad that this character has caught on and how he's shaping up to be this generation's Pit. I like to picture Takamaru as a mix between Marth and Link: very fast movements with enough projectiles to make him formidable even when he's far away.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I have no idez how he would work, but samurais are cool.

Invisible could be a really fun gimmick. I always figured it would be his down B. He could turn invisible and do an attack out of it that was really strong. he's also be invisible during the start up. You could even make it where he can't be hit at all, but make it only last for 5 or so second and have a 20 second cool down. Be a fun escape move and would work well against Final Smashes.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Takamaru would focus on speed and agility I'd imagine, arguably like Fox.

Speaking of a Final Smash, I had several ideas for one for Takamaru. The first is a barrage of shurikens fired in a style similar to those "bullet hell" type games, then finishes with a massive fireball. Another is summoning a typhoon which rains down lightning from above and heavy gusts.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Habaero, I would say that these ideas a rather well played and brilliant. Raising his weapon arsenal to other traditional Japanese weapons would make him very unique, as well as giving Platinum Studios some ideas on new weapons in the reboot. He would be Japan's very own Link due to the fact that the game had more popularity there than Legend of Zelda for appealing to their culture. A speed character with many unpredictable attacks would make him around the A or B tier of Super Smash Bros. 4. Having him would complete the Famicom Classic 4 (Link, Pit, Samus, and Takamaru) in Smash. I also found out that there was an official Nintendo produced manga for Murasame Castle that was released around that time.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
I love the typhoon idea for his final smash!!! somthing that would pull from his lightning attack from the original game. what gets me the most excited though is the idea of Takamaru getting really popular, spawning a new game for him! Smash bros deffinatly needs a Samurai character like him!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
For a final smash I like the idea of him having an attack similar to Zero's Sougenmu Hyper Combo from Marvel vs Capcom 3 where he creates a temporary clone of himself that mirrors his actions allowing him to do twice the damage for the time the ability is activated.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I find it funny how Samurai aren't glorified very much in manga (I've read). It's all about ninja and samurai are usually portrayed as corrupt or evil or something in those

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I find it funny how Samurai aren't glorified very much in manga (I've read). It's all about ninja and samurai are usually portrayed as corrupt or evil or something in those
This is probably because of the different morals between ninjas and samurai; ninjas tend to be more ruthless and lawless then the normal more honorable samurai. As such it's a recurring them to pair them up to create some sort of conflict in varies media.

A general rule is if the samurai is the protagonist, the ninja is the antagonist or vice versa.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Afro Samurai. That's an example of an anime where ninja were never antagonists.

Instead we got an immortal cowboy, a Darth vader wannabe who wares a teddy bear head (He's a a bad@ss though), and zombie hulk samurai.

:phone:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I do like that typhoon idea, just saying.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I actually got the inspiration of the typhoon final smash from the Japanese gods Raijin and Fujin, the god of lightning and wind respectively.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You mean Thunderus and Tornadus? :troll:

But seriously, that makes sense, given how rooted NnMJ is rooted in Japanese culture.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'd figure Takamaru's final smash would be the lighting strikes from the game. I figured that was what you were going for Habanero.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Yes the lightening move from Mysterious Murasame Castle is the inspiration for the Final Smash, but more flashy you could say.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd say Takamaru is as good as confirmed for smash. I just find him so likely. Especially since he's been referenced a lot lately on the Wii and and even the Wii U through Nintendo land. Even though I don't know him that well. I'd be more than happy to see him in smash. ^_^

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Personally, I just think the prospect of both Takamaru and Little Mac in Smash, an Eastern revival and a Western revival, is too good to pass up. It could work wonders in Story Mode, as well.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Personally I'm hoping for a Takamaru, Little Mac, and Lip power trio of sorts, but at the same time I'm only holding my breath for Takamaru and Little Mac.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
I'd say Takamaru is as good as confirmed for smash. I just find him so likely. Especially since he's been referenced a lot lately on the Wii and and even the Wii U through Nintendo land. Even though I don't know him that well. I'd be more than happy to see him in smash. ^_^
Eh, you can't say that right now. I meant many people were so sure that we were getting Isaac, Ridley and Tom Nook/AC Villager in SSBB, and we didn't.

I don't want that situation blew up on our face this time.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
What about little mac and Sukapon?
I'm pretty sure Sukapon is the exception in regards of the retro argument. Mainly since the majority of people in both West and East view Sukapon as a Legacy/Last Unlockable/wtf character as ROB and G&W were

Personally I'm hoping for a Takamaru, Little Mac, and Lip power trio of sorts, but at the same time I'm only holding my breath for Takamaru and Little Mac.
To be honest at this point, Mach Rider seems like the most plausible third "retro" rep

Lip might take the "Japan-only" spot; but she'd be already be competing with other characters such as Sable. It'd be a miracle if Mach Rider and Lip were put in :awesome:

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
To be honest at this point, Mach Rider seems like the most plausible third "retro" rep

Lip might take the "Japan-only" spot; but she'd be already be competing with other characters such as Sable. It'd be a miracle if Mach Rider and Lip were put in :awesome:
Why do people think Mach Rider is very likely exactly. its not like Takamaru who has been redesigned on referenced in many games as of late. I just see him as likely as someone like Lip but not really any more so.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I guess people like that coolness factor Mach Rider has, since he rides around on motorcycles and shoots stuff.

I kinda disagree, but then again different strokes for different folks.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Why do people think Mach Rider is very likely exactly. its not like Takamaru who has been redesigned on referenced in many games as of late. I just see him as likely as someone like Lip but not really any more so.
I'm guessing part of it is because the retro character Sakurai hinted at was compared to Pit's revival, in which the series had enough to work with to expand into future games. Not many of the untouched retros really have this (like Balloon Fighter, Bubbles, Duck Hunt Dog), so people have mostly been narrowing down the possibilities to mostly Takamaru and Mach Rider, as both of them would hypothetically have an acceptable amount of content to work with in a possible reboot.

That, and Mach Rider is just a comparatively popular choice, as well as being one of Sakurai's favourites.

I agree Takamaru is much more likely, but excluding him I'd say Mach Rider was among the most likely retro choices, especially since many of them were previously eliminated by Sakurai.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Bumping this thread with several comments regarding Takamaru.

Takamaru I feel has potential from a different prospective outside of gameplay. What I mean is visual style, with The Mysterious Murasame Castle giving something fresh to the table in the form of Japanese culture. You see, Takamaru is not only one of those japan only characters akin to Marth or Lucas, but also literally a character from Japan (specifically the Edo era of Japan). This means that a bit of Japanese culture will take influence on the character and the setting.

Now you might be saying "Why would Japanese culture be a big deal?". Well aesthetically, Japan related content tends to have a notable style that expresses emotion by mixing environments and movements to make almost a poetic expression. For example, Murasame Castle could be a beautiful place with sakura blowing in the wind, some chimes gently ringing, and a small river flowing underneath a bridge. A very soothing feeling at first, but then the sky could turn a blood red with all of the sakura wilting away and the river drying up, with mysterious figures stalking in the background and the mysterious alien deity that took over Murasame Castle watching anonymously around the castle itself. It would cycle between the peace and the chaos, like a never ending battle of good vs. evil.
Beautiful two paragraphs right there. I was sold on Takamaru ages ago, but for anyone not on board, please read this post right here.

Takamaru for SSB4!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think Starphoenix did a Murasame castle stage once. I remember enjoying it. If anyone hasn't seen it, check out the Stage thread. I think it's in there somewhere.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I think Starphoenix did a Murasame castle stage once. I remember enjoying it. If anyone hasn't seen it, check out the Stage thread. I think it's in there somewhere.
If you mean ---'s Murasame Castle concept, it's here
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324291&page=7

On a side note, I actually bough Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper and was surprised that there wasn't a single Nintendo guest character (not even Takamaru). Probably they didn't have enough time to add one or couldn't find a character that fits in with the cast. Good thing that they confirmed that there will be DLC (the first being Santa outfits), meaning more stages, outfits, and hopefully characters.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I presume the Mysterious Murasame Castle thing from Samurai Warriors 3 was a one time deal of sorts for Tecmo, so I wouldn't get your hopes for Takamaru making an appearance again.

But Nintendo characters appearing in the Warrior games is still going on, like Dynasty Warriors VS featuring Samus and Link.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
If you mean ---'s Murasame Castle concept, it's here
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324291&page=7
Good to see I'm getting credit. :smirk:

Been thinking about going back and revamping it a little along with my other stages, in particular the music now that Nintendo Land is out as well as Sakura Samurai. That said it's probably my favorite stage concept, mostly because it has the most realistic chance of happening (Star already beat me to the others :p).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I could swear it was Star's. Well that's embarrassing. :laugh:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Out of curiosity I went and did some research on what "Takamaru" actually means.

The name doesn't seem to be a normal name from a Japanese prospective, but the first part of his name taka (鷹) means "hawk, falcon" and maru (丸) which means "round". "Maru" probably derives from the suffix variant that ether refers to walls of a castle or a common name with young boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom