• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Alright I went ahead and redid my old stage concept, mostly tweeked a few things to make it easier to imagine and be more functional as a stage itself. Couldn't find a pic of Takamaru entering a castle however, so I'll just assume you all have watched the original gameplay.

Taken from the final step in journey of the samurai apprentice Takamaru, it's the mysterious Murasame Castle!

Over all it's a pretty simple, but slightly bigger than average stage, fighting takes place in front of the castle gates a top the large hill where the castle rests . The only main gimmick is that occasionally (if item's are turned on) friendly Tanookis will appear to aid fighters by dropping items if attacked.

Other then that it's a pretty atmospheric stage; the castle and the land around it glow an eerie purple color with lightning repeatedly striking the top of the castle in the background. Banners on the side of the castle walls. Ninja's can be seen running around in the background.

Stage Name: Murasame Castle
Stage Icon: Japanese Castle

Stage Example:

x__xxxxx__x
x________x
x|xxxxxxxx|x

Tracks:
Nazo no Murasamejo - Main Theme - Douchuumen
Nazo no Murasamejo - Castle Theme
Nazo no Murasamejo - Murasame's Theme (Final Boss)
Famicom Detective Club Part II - Title Theme
Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword - Title Theme
StarTropics II: Zoda's Revenge - Main Dungeon
Pokemon Conquest - Normal Battle
Shin Onigashima - Shin Onigashima (Brawl)
Nazo no Murasamejo - Douchuumen (Original) (Brawl)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You know, if Dillion and Takamaru both get in, it would be kinda cool if they would be rivals.

Because a lot of good westerns were based on Samurai movies

Yojimbo and 7 Samurai -> A Fistful of Dollars and The Magnificent Seven

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Thanks for the stage idea, but I kinda like the idea I had a few posts back of the stage rotating between a "peaceful" and "chaotic" variation to emphasis how Murasame Castle used to be peaceful before being possessed by the mysterious alien deity.

You know, if Dillion and Takamaru both get in, it would be kinda cool if they would be rivals.
I'd imagine them being allies actually.

This probably because I always thought Takamaru would be a very stern individual who prefers honing his concentration over socialization. So much so that he gets a frustrated if his meditation and concentration become disturbed in anyway, and starts to lose focus because of it.

I always imagined him as a bit of a foil to Pit in general.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
The real question is, will they use his Samurai Warriors Look

Or The Captain Rainbow Look?

Or something else. Who know? However, I think Namco will feel at home while modeling this character, since he looks very soulcaliburish.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think his Captain Rainbow look would work great as Takamaru's green palette swap.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Updated the OP with more details, mostly comprising of stuff I have said about the character from here and other threads.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Beautiful! At least doesn't look like what Shogun in the Total War games/Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed would call a "shamefur dispray".

:phone:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I always meant to fix the OP for months, but didn't have the will power to continue. For a character like Takamaru, getting the information and inspiration is a tad more tricky due to the varying details (and lack of details) scattered everywhere.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
@Habanero
I just got my copy of Samurai Warriors 3 JUST to play as Takamaru and ofcourse Murasame Castle mode! =p

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'd like to bring up Sakurai himself has expressed some interest in Takamaru. Sakurai said that if there is ever another Mysterious Murasame Game game with Takamaru, he would probably be put into Smash. Not sure if cameos and ports count, but at least Nintendo seems the care about something so obscure. Will Nintendo's more recent fondness of the game be the key to finally bringing the character to all-star status, or is it just dust in the wind?

Also before someone asks for a source, it's mentioned here during the days of "Super Smash Bros. 2" development.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
I like the idea of takamaru being in the game. I think it'd mean a retro revival for him in the future.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I like the idea of takamaru being in the game. I think it'd mean a retro revival for him in the future.

This. Nintendo is already criticized for leaving behind many franchises and not making that many IPs. We got Metroid, Kid Icarus, and Zelda in the next gen, making Murasame Castle next on the list of Famicom classics to get a next gen video game/reboot.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I don't see how it wouldn't be released internationally. It's not like referencing a different culture would be a barrier, since that has been already proven false with games like Okami and Muramasa.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Okami was indeed very amazing, which is one reason why Platinum Games should be the ideal choice for a Mysterious Murasame Castle reboot because of the experience already available.

Maybe it's one reason why Kayima mentioned the possibility to begin with, because he has a desire of sorts to make a spiritual successor to Okami and is using Mysterious Murasame Castle as an excuse due to the more recent game publicity and Nintendo contract. It's not that far off considering that the more recent titles he's directed are also spiritual successors to previous works in their own way, like Bayonetta for Devil May Cry or Wonderful 101 for Viewtiful Joe.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Okami was indeed very amazing, which is one reason why Platinum Games should be the ideal choice for a Mysterious Murasame Castle reboot because of the experience already available.

Maybe it's one reason why Kayima mentioned the possibility to begin with, because he has a desire of sorts to make a spiritual successor to Okami and is using Mysterious Murasame Castle as an excuse due to the more recent game publicity and Nintendo contract. It's not that far off considering that the more recent titles he's directed are also spiritual successors to previous works in their own way, like Bayonetta for Devil May Cry or Wonderful 101 for Viewtiful Joe.
You are actually right about the last part. Even the use of scrolls in Takamaru's Ninja Castle reminded me of the Celestrial Brush usage in Okami (though Kamiya had nothing to do with Nintendo Land). It would be a nice feature to include in the reboot.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
One thing I do expect is to greatly update the universe of Mysterious Murasame Castle to the point of creating something completely fresh. Of course to do that it needs baby steps first before going for strides, which was technically already accomplished in Samurai Warriors 3. But I feel as though Super Smash Bros. would be the gateway debut that is needed to gain everyones attention.

Super Smash Bros. is a miracle series, after all. I love it just for simply bringing back Kid Icarus to the lime light.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Poor ice climbers man. They never got that retro revival...come to think of it. That'd be cool to have an Ice Climbers Wii u.

But as far as mysterious murasame castle, I think they should turn it into what it should have been. Essentially an eastern loz, introducing items and third person view, while going into story alot deeper.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If Takamaru get's in (and I hope he does), what would his series have to offer in terms of stages?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Poor ice climbers man. They never got that retro revival...come to think of it. That'd be cool to have an Ice Climbers Wii u.
To be fair, Nintendo did considered Ice Climber to be a bit niche. Though, Urban Champion is worse.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Murasame Castle, the castle that's name after the game. There is ether is ether the more sinister version created by the evil alien from Mysterious Murasame Castle with the skulls and poisonous blood puddles, and then there is the more tame version used for more recent depictions like Nintendo Land.

Carolus Rex

Smash Cadet
Am I the only one who thinks that almost everybody cares about Ice Climbers only because of Smash Bros.? Sure their game was good, but not THAT good... If they weren't in Melee, I don't think a lot of people would even consider them.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who thinks that almost everybody cares about Ice Climbers only because of Smash Bros.? Sure their game was good, but not THAT good... If they weren't in Melee, I don't think a lot of people would even consider them.
Oh no, you're right. Once someone gets in smash, they are thought of much more.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Yep, that's exactly why. Ice Climber was actually pretty s**t, but the IC's in Smash are very unique and interesting, if hard to use properly.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I actually liked Ice Climber...

But yeah, Smash very easily makes retro or obscure characters more popular.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
For me it's more along the lines of introducing a new style of culture to the table that has not been explored yet. This is one reason I would appreciate Mysterious Murasame Castle getting some time in the spotlight in Super Smash Bros.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
For me it's more along the lines of introducing a new style of culture to the table that has not been explored yet. This is one reason I would appreciate Mysterious Murasame Castle getting some time in the spotlight in Super Smash Bros.
I liked this aspect too. A true eastern style character, bringing that to the table.
Also why I liked Dillon alot, he was a westerner cowboy esque character.

I liked ice climber btw...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I actually liked Ice Climber...

But yeah, Smash very easily makes retro or obscure characters more popular.
Only if the character is stupidly broken though. :smirk:

Best examples: Marth and Sheik in Melee.

Worse example: Ice Climbers. Yeah, wobbling is overpowered as hell, but also really really gay.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
No, it's more of a general thing more so then a competitive prospective. For example, Roy is a popular character despite being mediocre.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If only someone uploaded the Takamaru's Ninja Castle music by now. Several songs, especially the Boss Battle, would fit in well with the Murasame Castle stage.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Are there any alt colors of Takamaru yet? Is there anything to base them off of?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Habanero you already made a moveset for Takamaru right? Why didn't you put that in the first post? You often talk about his moveset potential but I don't see any of that here. Kinda interested though, as I feel he's easily one of the most likely newcomers for retro characters.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ice Climbers is became unique when they entered the Smash Bros. competition, why can't other characters be unique..
No one said others couldn't be unique.

Unique=/=Mikes Jones and Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom