• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sounds awesome. I like that Little Mac got a Western comic book-like animation in his reveal trailer... maybe Takamaru's might be inspired by anime and manga.

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
Takamaru is my most wanted character in SSB4, and I would go crazy if he were actually announced. I was thinking, if their is a Nintendo Direct in April (the 28th anniversary of Nazo no Murasamejou) it would make sense that Takamaru would be revealed. Mac was revealed on his anniversary month, so it really doesn't seem too unlikely. Of course, I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment there. But the thought of an anime styled trailer for Takamaru is really cool. Hope it happens. On another note, does anyone remember Sakurai stating how Link, Samus and Pit all came out the same year? He went on to talk about Samus and Pit, but completely ignored Link. I always thought it was weird to mention it, and then not mention the fourth Nintendo character introduced that year, Takamaru. I feel like just the very mention of that tidbit of Nintendo trivia confirms that Sakurai was thinking about it, and maybe plans to complete the "Famicom Four" and add the fourth 1986 character to the roster. We still haven't seen these classic characters he said he wanted to bring back either.

Morbi

Scavenger
I honestly didn't want Takamaru anywhere near this game, but the hype from Little Mac is too prominent. I need to have Little Mac versus Takamaru... it just has to happen. So I now fully support Takamaru even though I am not a fan of his character. I need a punching bag for Little Mac, youknowwhatiamsaying?

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I honestly didn't want Takamaru anywhere near this game, but the hype from Little Mac is too prominent. I need to have Little Mac versus Takamaru... it just has to happen. So I now fully support Takamaru even though I am not a fan of his character. I need a punching bag for Little Mac, youknowwhatiamsaying?
I thought sandbag already filled that role :awesome:.

I'm gonna be playin' Big Mac too, but dat Takamaru is gonna turn the puncher into the punching bag.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Dude. If Takamaru and Mac got to fight one another in Takamaru's reveal trailer, that would literally be the hypest ****.

Morbi

Scavenger
Dude. If Takamaru and Mac got to fight one another in Takamaru's reveal trailer, that would literally be the hypest ****.
I had never even considered that that would actually be his reveal trailer... that would honestly be the best trailer idea. I mean... what else would Takamaru do? Face another swordsmen like Marth? Interesting to say the least... but it would be much more hype to have Mac and Tak going at it. East versus West baby... they can even make Takamaru win if they want, it is his reveal trailer after all... throw him a bone. :troll:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
On a tangential note, you should totally change your username to Shamisendorf to further support him. ;)

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I am starting to think in the scenario that Takamaru gets revealed, his trailer will sport either a oil paint style to mimic the brush strokes of Japanese artwork, or a more straight forward anime style with a serious tone. Not sure, but it would be fitting in either case. In terms of actual content, I was either thinking of one of those legend recaps that goes into detail about a legendary hero and the events of The Mysterious Murasame Castle, and how he vanished but came back. Maybe something more action packed, like him overwhelming his opponents with supposedly superior skills. Remember, in canon, Takamaru can strike in the blink of an eye with a katana and his skills with shurikens is incredibly precise, so having him overwhelming fast characters and sharp shooters would be a testament to his strength.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
At this point I think Sakurai is listening exclusively to the fans unlike brawl where he pretty much chose what he thought people wanted and who he wanted specifically. Also from what I hear he is not "A" very popular retro character he is "THE" most popular retro character so I think as y'all pointed out April is probably the best time for his reveal.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well there's that, plus Takamaru got a freakin' minigame based around him in the US. Not to really cite relevancy, but if there was a badass Retro character people might be even remotely familiar with to bring to life, I think Taka-****ing-maru is the best choice.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well there's that, plus Takamaru got a freakin' minigame based around him in the US. Not to really cite relevancy, but if there was a badass Retro character people might be even remotely familiar with to bring to life, I think Taka-****ing-maru is the best choice.
I definitely agree, and besides that anyone who has played Samurai Warriors 3 while not as relevant as Nintendo Land it's absolutely got a fan base who now all know about Takamaru because of murasame castle mode. If the Japanese want him and the Americans want him I don't think Sakurai can NOT put him in the game I'm calling it right now that Takamaru will with no doubt be in Super Smash Bros. 4 in some way shape or form, most likely playable character. Might as well put me on the supporter list after that claim Xenoblaze.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
My brother and I had a debate about him today. My brother is fairly sure that Takamaru (and Lip) are not going to happen due to their being Japanese exclusive, unlike the Ice Climbers and Pit. He said that that, combined with Nazo no Murasame Jo's being only a single game franchise, made it extremely unlikely for him to get in, since the only other case of a one-game retro character getting in was Ice Climbers, who were international.

He brought up some good points, honestly. My main counterargument was that there is no retro as prevalent as Takamaru left to include, since Takamaru is a part of the Famicon Four. In the end, neither of us convinced the other, but we did make one another think.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
My brother and I had a debate about him today. My brother is fairly sure that Takamaru (and Lip) are not going to happen due to their being Japanese exclusive,
Remember what Japanese exclusive franchise was in Smash before they hit the US?
Fire Emblem. And they got TWO newcomers in Melee.
And then there's Lucas.
So I think we can throw that out the window.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I think the fact that Takamaru was included in Nintendo Land (well, an attraction based on his game) is good enough to make some gamers aware of him outside of Japan. I mean, all the other minigames and attractions in Nintendo Land seem to be based on game franchises which are pretty big (and also have representation in Smash, bar the Balloon Fighter but that's basically Villager now), and to have Takamaru's Ninja Castle among them is pretty cool. The inclusion of Takamaru in Smash 4 would definitely make him more prevalent and maybe help release new games for his franchise, worldwide this time.

I like the comparison that some people have made of seeing Takamaru in Japan what Little Mac is in the west. That said, if Takamaru was to be revealed next, it would counter Little Mac's reveal nicely haha.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
Who are the Famicon Four? I don't recognize the name. And I don't think Takamaru will not get in due to Japanese exclusivity. Realistically though, if we're looking at someone new who is a retro rep, the question is more who else would it be. We aren't guaranteed a retro rep, but if we get one, I think it'll be Takamaru.

Lip is a bit... less likely, which is a shame. I'd definitely like to see her, but I don't think she's as likely as Takamaru.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
I like the comparison that some people have made of seeing Takamaru in Japan what Little Mac is in the west. That said, if Takamaru was to be revealed next, it would counter Little Mac's reveal nicely haha.
On the next direct, I'm expecting Taka. It not only would flow great, but it just makes sense considering the old West Vs East, Fists Vs Weapons deal. The Punch is Mightier than the sword? More like foreshadowing.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Who are the Famicon Four? I don't recognize the name. And I don't think Takamaru will not get in due to Japanese exclusivity. Realistically though, if we're looking at someone new who is a retro rep, the question is more who else would it be. We aren't guaranteed a retro rep, but if we get one, I think it'll be Takamaru.

Lip is a bit... less likely, which is a shame. I'd definitely like to see her, but I don't think she's as likely as Takamaru.
It's a term given to the four action games that were released on the Famicon/NES in 1986 (Kid Icarus, Metroid, The Legend of Zelda, and Nazo no Murasame-Jo) and their respective protagonists.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's a term given to the four action games that were released on the Famicon/NES in 1986 (Kid Icarus, Metroid, The Legend of Zelda, and Nazo no Murasame-Jo) and their respective protagonists.
Well jeez I didn't even know about that. Well that makes me even more sure of Takamaru's inclusion. I mean, everything's pretty much going in his favor these days as a Retro inclusion.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Remember what Japanese exclusive franchise was in Smash before they hit the US?
Fire Emblem. And they got TWO newcomers in Melee.
And then there's Lucas.
So I think we can throw that out the window.
He mentioned Fire Emblem. He said that, unlike Takamaru's series, Fire Emblem had established itself as a franchise for awhile, and, as such, it made sense to include Marth and Roy. His argument did revolve around both points heavily, not just the exclusivity. I did forget about Lucas, but I imagine he'd counter that with Ness already being in, and it being easy to develop him.

Personally, having time to think about it now, we don't have a lot of stuff to go off of using comparisons, so it may simply be that we don't have enough data to say one way or the other that Japanese-exclusive characters from a one game series are nonviable. I'm using the logic of "it hasn't happened before, but that doesn't mean it can't happen now".

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
Eh, Takamaru is a retro character. And despite only having one game to his name, his game or himself have been referenced in three different games since his release, so it's not like he's obscure. He's definitely the biggest name from an NES exclusive so far, and if they are intent on bringing him back, Smash is a good platform for it.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I've just quickly looked through the thread and not noticed anyone bring this up:

Kirby's Takamaru Copy Ability (and hat? obviously needs to be more blue mind) anyone?

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I've just quickly looked through the thread and not noticed anyone bring this up:

Kirby's Takamaru Copy Ability (and hat? obviously needs to be more blue mind) anyone?
Yeah, a blue and longer ponytail would be fitting for such a Kirby Hat.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I think it'd be best to keep it short on Kirby, just as a reference to his own quick draw and possibly to make it more apparent it's not WFT/Dixie/anyone else with a ponytail. It'd be much like how Ness Kirby has his hat backwards as a reference to YoYo Kirby.

Obviously this is just my own personal wish, but I'd love to see a reference to this mini-game from Takamaru Kirby, even if just in a Miiverse update it'd be awesome.

Speculator

Smash Ace
with Nazo no Murasame Jo's being only a single game franchise, made it extremely unlikely for him to get in, since the only other case of a one-game retro character getting in was Ice Climbers, who were international.
From a Japanese perspective - the perspective the game is developed from - Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters hardly counts. As far as anyone on the development team was concerned, Kid Icarus was also a one-game series.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
From a Japanese perspective - the perspective the game is developed from - Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters hardly counts. As far as anyone on the development team was concerned, Kid Icarus was also a one-game series.
Which he countered by it being an international and popular game. He's convinced that an international release is essential for our retros.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm pretty curious, but do you guys have at least an idea on how the new possible Nazo no Muramase Jou could play?
Since the game was more focused on action than puzzles like The Legend of Zelda, it could have open worlds with hordes of enemies to defeat with various flashy combos from his katana. It also involve the addition of trademark items like the Invisibility Cloak and Inazuma Thunder and Takamru should have more magic options via scrolls and elemental tools. Big boss battles would be another great addition to the game like fighting a massive Oni.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
And I don't think Takamaru will not get in due to Japanese exclusivity. Realistically though, if we're looking at someone new who is a retro rep, the question is more who else would it be. We aren't guaranteed a retro rep, but if we get one, I think it'll be Takamaru.
Didn't stop Lucas in Brawl or Marth and Roy in Melee plus Takamaru's had a ton of international cameos since Brawl. If anything, I'd argue that he's in a better position now than those other three were before their premieres in Smash.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
At this point I think Sakurai is listening exclusively to the fans unlike brawl where he pretty much chose what he thought people wanted and who he wanted specifically. Also from what I hear he is not "A" very popular retro character he is "THE" most popular retro character so I think as y'all pointed out April is probably the best time for his reveal.
Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and to some extent Rosalina were not fan favorites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom