• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentendo222

Smash Apprentice
I have a great idea for Takamaru's reveal trailer.
It would start of in a rocky terrain (similar to the area in the Mega Man trailer, but daytime) where Link, Samus and Pit (the 1986 characters) are fighting. It's mainly Pit and Samus fighting each other and Link is standing off to the side. He pulls out a bomb and throws it, seconds later it explodes, knocking out Samus and Pit. Link starts to walk away until a shuriken hits the ground in front of him. He turns around to see a man on a cliff who quickly jumps before anyone (who is watching the trailer) could figure out who it is. The man falls down with his sword ready to attack Link with it, but Link quickly does a backflip and dodges him as he hits the ground. The man gets up and finally the camera shows his face, revealing it to be Takamaru. Then, this music starts to play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5EKqi9uGcM as a message pops that says "Takamaru Slices In!" After that, gameplay is shown of Takamaru using his sword, throwing shirikens, using a quick sword movement to deflect Mega Man's Metal Blade, etc. The gameplay ends with Takamaru getting a Smash ball and unleashing his Final Smash, Inazuma Lightning! After that, the logo for Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS show up, ending the trailer.
(I can't think of anything that would happen after the logo)
And that is all.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I have a great idea for Takamaru's reveal trailer.
It would start of in a rocky terrain (similar to the area in the Mega Man trailer, but daytime) where Link, Samus and Pit (the 1986 characters) are fighting. It's mainly Pit and Samus fighting each other and Link is standing off to the side. He pulls out a bomb and throws it, seconds later it explodes, knocking out Samus and Pit. Link starts to walk away until a shuriken hits the ground in front of him. He turns around to see a man on a cliff who quickly jumps before anyone (who is watching the trailer) could figure out who it is. The man falls down with his sword ready to attack Link with it, but Link quickly does a backflip and dodges him as he hits the ground. The man gets up and finally the camera shows his face, revealing it to be Takamaru. Then, this music starts to play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5EKqi9uGcM as a message pops that says "Takamaru Slices In!" After that, gameplay is shown of Takamaru using his sword, throwing shirikens, using a quick sword movement to deflect Mega Man's Metal Blade, etc. The gameplay ends with Takamaru getting a Smash ball and unleashing his Final Smash, Inazuma Lightning! After that, the logo for Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS show up, ending the trailer.
(I can't think of anything that would happen after the logo)
And that is all.
This is just beautiful. Imagined the whole scenario and it all makes sense. Definitely the most likely idea of the old samurai's trailer, especially involving his "brother" Link's involvement in the fight.

bentendo222

Smash Apprentice
This is just beautiful. Imagined the whole scenario and it all makes sense. Definitely the most likely idea of the old samurai's trailer, especially involving his "brother" Link's involvement in the fight.
Thank you, I have ideas for other character reveal trailers that I might post. They may not be as good as Takamaru's trailer but I tried.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
your sig is ****ing great.
Thank you! I quite like it too, but it just shows how many blue and green backgrounds there have been so far. :laugh:

...oh and I sure can't wait until I get to add Takamaru to it! :awesome:
There now I'm on topic. :smirk:

Morbi

Scavenger
I suppose I would be down for Takamaru, I can just pretend that he is any generic samurai that I like (Keanu Reeves).:troll:

When I first joined, I was totally opposed to Takamaru. I have become more receptive to the notion of having him as a playable character; however, I had almost forgotten that people were actually speculating that he was going to be in the game. I haven't read a lot of Takamaru propaganda since joining. If I was to be perfectly honest, I would want a different character, but he is an ideal choice. Hopefully he will be a lot of fun.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There aren't a lot of retro characters with particularly loud vocal support, especially when the most likely candidate is generally thought to be pretty unanimous...

Plus there also aren't a lot of people who have actually played a Takamaru game, not counting NL.

Morbi

Scavenger
There aren't a lot of retro characters with particularly loud vocal support, especially when the most likely candidate is generally thought to be pretty unanimous...

Plus there also aren't a lot of people who have actually played a Takamaru game, not counting NL.
I suppose that is the case. I had almost forgotten why he was considered so very likely, there isn't much competition in the retro department. At the very least, this will open the door to other people experiencing and appreciating Takamaru. Perhaps his series will be revived and all's well that ends well.

D

Deleted member

I think that some people nowadays know him for having a game in Nintendo Land.
I know that he appeared in Samurai Warriors 3 (and I dunno how successful that game was on the Wii) and barely anyone has heard of or played Captain Rainbow.

Takamaru truly just has one game under his belt. But, Nintendo Land does at least show that Nintendo acknowledges the series (even giving it representation over series like Kid Icarus) and I heard that Sakurai said that he wouldn't put Takamaru in Smash unless he was in another game (which he has been in three now post-Brawl).

I find him to be the most likely retro rep, but I am unsure as to what kind of noise he has. He has some, but they rarely happen in Japan. Some people kinda expect him more than want him.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love Takamaru to get in, but my support has kinda waned a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Takamaru truly just has one game under his belt. But, Nintendo Land does at least show that Nintendo acknowledges the series (even giving it representation over series like Kid Icarus) and I heard that Sakurai said that he wouldn't put Takamaru in Smash unless he was in another game (which he has been in three now post-Brawl).
Only having one game isn't really a huge hindrance for retros (especially if you have made multiple cameos like Takamaru).

That Sakurai statement is also a bit off, he said he'd include him if he got another game in his series (which he hasn't), but he didn't say that was the only way he'd get included, and since that statement he clearly has expanded his prominence, so yeah, it's not much of a problem.

I find him to be the most likely retro rep, but I am unsure as to what kind of noise he has. He has some, but they rarely happen in Japan. Some people kinda expect him more than want him.
People kind of expect a retro in general more than they want them. If we hadn't gotten ICs (who no one wanted or expected) and Pit hardly anyone would even be giving the retro characters a second-thought. And compared to other retros, except maybe Balloon Fighter (who won't be getting in) Takamaru's "noise" is pretty notable, he's made several recent appearances and has a decent amount of popularity for a retro, more than his "competition". Japan largely doesn't care about any retro character tbh, but Takamaru is still preferred over there than most others.

Retros are always a bit of a toss-up, and there still might be an upset, but Takamaru clearly has the most going for him.

Rouge

Smash Journeyman
Would Takamaru get so much was it not for the NL game? It seems to be his bread and butter as far as Sm4sh speculation goes. I mean, in three games he didn't go farther than being a sticker.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Would Takamaru get so much was it not for the NL game? It seems to be his bread and butter as far as Sm4sh speculation goes. I mean, in three games he didn't go farther than being a sticker.
NL was more the cherry on the top, ever since Samurai Warriors 3 (and Punch-Out Wii moving Mac out of the retro category) people have been pretty strong for Takamaru. Even before then he had a decent amount of popularity among retros, especially since he was one of the only ones not nixed by Sakurai. But yeah, if it weren't for his cameos and Little Mac not being retro anymore he'd likely be behind both the aforementioned and probably Mach Rider too.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
That Sakurai statement is also a bit off, he said he'd include him if he got another game in his series (which he hasn't), but he didn't say that was the only way he'd get included, and since that statement he clearly has expanded his prominence, so yeah, it's not much of a problem.
Well you know, Hideki Kamiya said he would be interested in working on a Takamaru game.

Then, not too long ago, he said a secret project was starting up (this year) in the new year's resolutions of developers article.

He could very well be working on a new Takamaru game to coincide well with the release of Smash, maybe even contributing a redesign to the table.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If the development of The Mysterious Murasame Castle is the believed, it's not going to effect this Super Smash Bros. game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well you know, Hideki Kamiya said he would be interested in working on a Takamaru game.

Then, not too long ago, he said a secret project was starting up (this year) in the new year's resolutions of developers article.

He could very well be working on a new Takamaru game to coincide well with the release of Smash, maybe even contributing a redesign to the table.
It could be, sure, but there's nothing to indicate that it actually is, so I wouldn't get your hopes up or anything until we find out a bit more about the game. For all we know if could have nothing to do with Nintendo.

If Platinum does happening to be working on it though, and if it's only starting this year... it won't be finished in time to coincide with Smash's release, though Takamaru's presence in Smash would help the game monumentally for when it does launch, sort of like with Uprising.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
It could be, sure, but there's nothing to indicate that it actually is, so I wouldn't get your hopes up or anything until we find out a bit more about the game. For all we know if could have nothing to do with Nintendo.

If Platinum does happening to be working on it though, and if it's only starting this year... it won't be finished in time to coincide with Smash's release, though Takamaru's presence in Smash would help the game monumentally for when it does launch, sort of like with Uprising.
I really didn't mean at the same time (should've used a better term), but only that it'd release not too long after Smash.

Just think about it though. Takamaru has a minigame in Nintendo Land, so people start to wonder who he is. Then, he appears in Smash and people go "Oh ok, this guy's some cool, magical samurai dude." Finally, a new Takamaru game (by Kamiya) comes out a year after Smash and introduces everyone (most importantly the newer generation) into his world much like Uprising. This seems like a pretty clever marketing strategy to me.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm not so so sure if any of you (especially Habanero) have seen it yet, here's a interesting, yet unreliable rumor for Hyrule Warriors involving Takamaru. This originated from /v/ and was spread on Gamefaqs through the Hyrule Warriors boards. Some of it seems good, but falls flat at some parts (Playable Samus and Story Mode with only Link seems to be the biggest offenders so far). What do you think?

* The game is being aimed at Western Musou fans, as Zelda is very popular in the West compared to Japan. It is planned to be released in the West first in Fall 2014, and the game's script and dialouge is being built around the localization as mentioned before.
* A Zelda first, the game will have full voice-acting, except for Link who, as tradition, will only grunt. The English dub is being prioritized and the script written around it, while the Japanese version, being released a bit later, will have a Japanese dub. It's unlikely the English version will have dual-audio since it's being released first, but could be released as DLC.
* The game will be "more difficult" that traditional Musou games to appeal to Western fans, while still accessible to classic Zelda fans who are unfamiliar with the Musou franchise. There's more focus on defending and evasion rather than using brute force, for example, and even some basic "puzzles" placed within the levels. But it will be just as fast-paced and fun though according to the developers.
* Link, Zelda (+ Shiek), Ganondorf (+ Ganon), and Impa are the only pre-existing Zelda characters slated to be playable, apparently because they are the "mainstay" characters of the franchise who appear in different forms throughout the mythos. Tingle is not planned to be included due to his lack of popularity in the West.
* Aonuma and the Zelda team are creating a plethora of new, original characters that will be playable, the titular "Hyrule Warriors", which they hope will become popular among fans. Although they are new creations, they incorporate pre-existing elements of the franchise (such as the idea of Seven Sages, and the various races) and will not feel alien to Zelda fans. The playable roster will be around 25 or so.
* The game utilizes a version of Dynasty Warriors' "Weapon System" for Link, where he has his Sword as his primary weapon, but can also switch to a secondary weapon that changes up his basic moveset, such as the Flame Rod.
* The other playable characters are locked to using their signature weapon (these weapons include some of the same ones Link can use as his secondary weapon), but have longer combo strings, their own Musou attacks, and unique abilities to help them stand out and make up for the lack of weapon diversity Link has.
* Zelda and Ganondorf are unique in that they can "transform" using their Musou Gauge into Shiek and Ganon respectively, changing up their movesets. Zelda normally uses the Bow and Arrow, but as Shiek is armed with throwing knives and much faster. Ganondorf normally fights with a Spear, but as Ganon is larger and uses the classic Trident.
* Impa, her design based on the Ocarina version, is Zelda's bodyguard and fights using a Japanese-styled sword. Another one of Zelda's bodyguards is a comical Captain of the Guard who uses the Ball-And-Chain.
* There are a Moblin and Stalfos Boss that serve Ganondorf which are playable, as well as a new Gerudo character who has a "love-hate" relationship with him.
* The Blue-haired girl seen in the reveal trailer is named "Ryuna", and fights using the "Book of Mudora" as her primary weapon to cast magical spells. She's one of Link's "childhood friends" and an ally character.
* Link's other "childhood friend" is a short, red-headed guy named Nid, who fights using the Hammer. Him and Ryuna due to their names are apparently related to the Goddesses.
* The Seven Sages are all playable, but they are new characters instead of the pre-existing Seven Sages. There is a Deku Scrub, Goron, and Zora among their ranks.
* There are three Nintendo Guest Characters planned, Takamaru, Pit, and Samus, who have new make-overs to fit within the Zelda Universe. Samus for example has a more "ancient" looking Power Suit, and Pit is a bit older looking. Takamaru will draw from his previous Samurai Warriors appearance.
* The game's plot is an original story overseen by the Zelda team that focuses on a war between Zelda and Ganon's forces to find the Triforce, with Link joining up on Zelda's side. Although it will not fit within the central timeline, it borrows heavily from established Zelda mythos, specifically the Link To the Past and Ocarina of Time, the most well-known among stories of Hyrule.
* The game's Story Mode focuses on Link's role in the Hyrule War, and you only play as him, but as you go through levels, you find new Weapons to utilize. You also can walk around Kakariko Town between battles and buy weapons and items. After beating the central Story Mode, you're able to play new, more difficult episodes that focus on the other playable characters where you play as them and see their side of the story. In Free Mode, you can replay any level as any character. Finally, there is also a Mode that is akin to "Ambition Mode" in DW8, where you must build up Hyrule Castle by battling through miniature stages.
* The Stages and Enemies will be drawn from throughout the Zelda Series. The trailer showed an early build, as the final version will have new models for the Bokoblin and Lizalfos as opposed to using their Skyward Sword models, and other returning enemies will also have a new look to fit the game.
* Characters can Level Up by defeating enemies, increasing their various stats, except for Health, which is increased by finding Heart Pieces in Story Mode by completing special missions and in Treasure Chests. Characters share Heart Pieces, and you can choose how many Heart Pieces you wish to use for each battle, with some rewards being given to those that play with less Hearts. There is also the traditional Difficulty Select, including the mainstay "Chaos" for skilled players.
* You can bring extra items like Bombs and Potions into battle to help you. During battle you also find temporary power-up items, and rupees used to buy new versions of weapons and your shield.
* The Magic Meter charges up during battle like the Musou Bar, when it's filled you can utilize a character-specific "Team Ability" that powers up your entire army for a duration.
* The game is planned to include 2P, couch and online, as well as various DLC being planned such as new stages and costumes. There's no plans for DLC characters however.[/spoiler]

LF2K

Floor Diver
That's pretty cool if it's true. And it pays homage, as the original Zelda and Murasame Castle were very similar to each other gameplay-wise.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
One idea I was thinking of is having the basis of inputs used as a form of flow. Attacks don't lead to a single input, they actually lead to multiple inputs similar to a neutral attack. This concept has been explored in spades, for example Meta Knight's forward tilt is three inputs instead of one. But instead have a concept like that for many of Takamru's attacks, and include a mechanic where you can flow into other attacks for amazing combo capabilities.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
One idea I was thinking of is having the basis of inputs used as a form of flow. Attacks don't lead to a single input, they actually lead to multiple inputs similar to a neutral attack. This concept has been explored in spades, for example Meta Knight's forward tilt is three inputs instead of one. But instead have a concept like that for many of Takamru's attacks, and include a mechanic where you can flow into other attacks for amazing combo capabilities.
Like the Linked Artes (SSF2) mixed with Meta Knight combos on steroids? It would be pretty fitting since he did appear in a combo heavy videogame like Samurai Warriors before.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
The only problem I have with that rumor is Samus. I just can't see her in a medieval setting with ancient armor. I had enough trouble with the Robots in Skyward Sword.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The only problem I have with that rumor is Samus. I just can't see her in a medieval setting with ancient armor. I had enough trouble with the Robots in Skyward Sword.
Don't forget steampunk elements in Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks! Though, the thought of a Golem Suit Samus is hilarious. :troll:

Chalphy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chalphy
I just want to point out that from the December Nintendo Direct, HW is scheduled for release in Japan this summer, before any international release.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I always thought it was pretty obvious that Nintendo had plans to revive the Murasme Castle franchise, especially after the seemingly-random inclusion in NintendoLand; I personally believe that every series that appeared in NintendoLand will get either a 3DS or WiiU game at some point. Just a theory, though.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I always thought it was pretty obvious that Nintendo had plans to revive the Murasme Castle franchise, especially after the seemingly-random inclusion in NintendoLand; I personally believe that every series that appeared in NintendoLand will get either a 3DS or WiiU game at some point. Just a theory, though.
Wait...
We already know that a few games are on the way:
Zelda Wii U
Tropical Freeze
Two Yoshi games

And we already got these games:
Pikmin 3
Super Mario 3D World
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Animal Crossing: New Leaf

So that means that we'll get more of these games! :troll:
Metroid Other Other M confirmed.
F-Zero confirmed to not be a dying franchise.
New Nazo no Murasame Jo confirmed!
New Balloon Fight confirmed!
New line of Game & Watch handhelds confirmed?! :troll:
Still no Star Fox.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Wait...
We already know that a few games are on the way:
Zelda Wii U
Tropical Freeze
Two Yoshi games

And we already got these games:
Pikmin 3
Super Mario 3D World
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Animal Crossing: New Leaf

So that means that we'll get more of these games! :troll:
Metroid Other Other M confirmed.
F-Zero confirmed to not be a dying franchise.
New Nazo no Murasame Jo confirmed!
New Balloon Fight confirmed!
New line of Game & Watch handhelds confirmed?! :troll:
Still no Star Fox.
The Star Fox game was removed for control related reasons, Arwings can't hover. Yet you hear the ring collect sound from 64 in the Metroid Blast game.

I just want to point out that from the December Nintendo Direct, HW is scheduled for release in Japan this summer, before any international release.
I can see what you're saying, but that doesn't mean delays aren't possible. Even the alpha build's graphics need some massive improvement in order to impress the fans. Either way, the rumor can't be too reliable.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Sorry for the double post, but I really wanted to show you Taka supporters this masterpiece. Meet the holy lovechild of Sakurai and Takamaru: Masahiro Takurai. :troll:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
There has been technology in the Zelda franchise since the OoT/MM days, not sure why the robots in SS would bother someone.

That being said, Samus in Hyrule Warriors is really hard to believe.

Also, count me in as a Takamaru supporter. I never played his game, but I like his design (the one in the game box art, not the pseudo-realistic one).

D

Deleted member

Zero Suit Samus was featured in Dynasty Warriors VS. through costume, so Samus herself being present in a Nintendo-based Warriors wouldn't be that farfetched.
Hell, have Samus, Takamaru, and Pit be special bonus characters, and you got the "Famicom Four" all together.

....though that had barely anything to do with Takamaru. I apologize.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Zero Suit Samus was featured in Dynasty Warriors VS. through costume, so Samus herself being present in a Nintendo-based Warriors wouldn't be that farfetched.
Hell, have Samus, Takamaru, and Pit be special bonus characters, and you got the "Famicom Four" all together.

....though that had barely anything to do with Takamaru. I apologize.
Thus why we need all four of them together in Smash. Imagine, survival of the fittest between the action stars of the Famicom in Smash. I can imagine all the Link vs. Takamaru art that would spawn after his reveal since he's considered a polar opposite of Link.

You don't need to worry since the rumor (though not proven true yet) does have something to do with him.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Is Takamaru Nintendo's version of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit? He is a character who was lost for a long time but has recently been revived.

D

Deleted member

Not really.

Takamaru was never intended to be Nintendo's "main" character nor was taken due to copyright issue.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Today were rating on Takamaru's uniqueness:
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...eek-takamaru-and-urban-champion.347531/page-9
If you would like to contribute on how Takamaru could be very unique, please do so! Any comment about him is greatly appreciated.

Is Takamaru Nintendo's version of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit? He is a character who was lost for a long time but has recently been revived.
Nah, not really, I don't think that was the "Oswald" of Nintendo, he's not even close to it.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
The real question is, will they use his Samurai Warriors Look

Or The Captain Rainbow Look?

I know he's a samurai, but those are some ridiculously baggy pants. I'm not saying to give him pants like Link's but maybe shorten the width a bit if he makes it in.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If he doesn't have something closer to the Samurai Warriors design, I'm going to be mega disappointed.

LF2K

Floor Diver
I think they should go with a fusion between his Samurai Warriors 3 and classic attire. They're really focusing on retro for Mega Man, so the Smash team knows how to recreate the old very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom