• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speculator

Smash Ace
For all intents and purposes, his SW3 design and his NnMj design are pretty much the same. To me it doesn't feel like a difference between, say, Toon Link and TP Link - it's more of the difference between SMW Mario and SM3DW Mario. All the design elements are the same, it's just that the art style has advanced with time and technology. I think Takamaru would most likely appear similar to how he looks in SW3, but with SSB4's brighter and less realistic color palette.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
For all intents and purposes, his SW3 design and his NnMj design are pretty much the same. To me it doesn't feel like a difference between, say, Toon Link and TP Link - it's more of the difference between SMW Mario and SM3DW Mario. All the design elements are the same, it's just that the art style has advanced with time and technology. I think Takamaru would most likely appear similar to how he looks in SW3, but with SSB4's brighter and less realistic color palette.
I'm inclined to agree. I don't honestly see Sakurai drawing much if anything from Captain Rainbow, and he's smart enough to know not to turn the badass Samurai warrior into whatever he was in Captain Rainbow, which was for all intents and purposes a tongue-in-cheek humor filled game.

I view the SW3 design as literally a next-gen variant on his MMC (NnMj) design.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Well, if Bayonetta ended up in Smash, and they kept Takamaru's personality from Captain Rainbow... the results would be quite funny. :laugh:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
That would be a shame. His design in his game looks far better in my opinion. He looks younger and more uh... "heroic"? I dunno. I also feel like that design fits Smash Bros. better, but maybe it is just me.

Staarih

Smash Master
I'd say there are quite notable differences between Takamaru's looks between the games. I find the SW3 look of Takamaru a bit too... clumsy? Buff? Big? Haha, I don't really know how to describe it, there's just something awkward about it. He doesn't look as slender as his original style. I don't mind the overall look of the SW3 Takamaru, but I wish that for Smash the style would be adjusted a little to point more towards the original style. It would not only make him look younger (which I think he should be), but also more agile and suitable for Smash. Just my opinion of course.

...oh and I support Takamaru! :)

LF2K

Floor Diver
There's a guy out there who wants a Captain Rainbow reunion in Smash. His design for Takamaru looks like a good blend between the new and old.
This guy's Japanese, so his take on Little Mac is interesting as well!

Last edited:

Reila

^ Yup, this design looks really good. Little Mac looks like ****, though. xDD

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
That Takamaru looks creepy to me... the face doesn't fit the body. I think they should either go with one or the other or create a whole new design (Edo watercolor inspired Takamaru anyone?)

LF2K

Floor Diver
Wonder what Takamaru's stage would be like? I could see it being atop Murasame Castle or in a courtyard with cherry blossoms. That'd be so awesome!

But of course, the music might be light. :p

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Oh man. I'd love to also have Captain Rainbow. Having all three of them sounds amazing albeit unlikely, mostly for CR.

I think The MMC design and SW3 design could blend well together, and maybe Sakurai feels the same way.

Still prefer some kind of projectile special (where's the Shurikens?!) but that seems like a solid moveset.

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
We'd need Mac, Nick, Lip, and Takamaru to make it a reality. Maybe if all four of them made it, then could be an event match based around it.

It's funny how Nick had to whip Mac back in shape, and then Punch-Out!! got revived a year later. Perhaps Murasame is next?:grin:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
We'd need Mac, Nick, Lip, and Takamaru to make it a reality. Maybe if all four of them made it, then could be an event match based around it.

It's funny how Nick had to whip Mac back in shape, and then Punch-Out!! got revived a year later. Perhaps Murasame is next?:grin:
Though the only problem is that people would whine about "too many Japan-only reps" as cool as the idea seems. :(

LF2K

Floor Diver
Takamaru looks like he's finally breaking that. Lip's another story, though. :ohwell:

Reila

Though the only problem is that people would whine about "too many Japan-only reps" as cool as the idea seems. :(
True, but I don't think western people would be objected to these specific characters. See, most people find samurais cool (Takamaru is a samurai), people also like boxers (Little Mac) and Punch Out is a fairly popular series. Lastly, I am very sure that at least lolicons would approve of Lip being a new character in SSB. Nick, though... I am not sure who this character is? Still, I would argue that people are more objected to characters like Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B than "Japan-only" reps.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Nick is the hero of Captain Rainbow. Rainbow is his super hero alter-ego.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
True, but I don't think western people would be objected to these specific characters. See, most people find samurais cool (Takamaru is a samurai), people also like boxers (Little Mac) and Punch Out is a fairly popular series. Lastly, I am very sure that at least lolicons would approve of Lip being a new character in SSB. Nick, though... I am not sure who this character is? Still, I would argue that people are more objected to characters like Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B than "Japan-only" reps.
Some guys did think of Nick as a hippie on one Super Smash Bros. Facebook page that I seen and though that he looks too dorky to be a character. Then again, they never bothered looking at his game to see what a badass he can really be. XD

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Digging that look for Takamaru. I'd take an HD look of that for Smash 4, as it seems like a good blend of his original look and the SW3 look.

LF2K

Floor Diver
I believe he's the most requested retro character. Kind of fitting , since it 's his home country.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
While Takamaru is the most requested retro, retros are rarely brought up.
That's true but I think Sakurai would like have one retro character like he has had for all games in the series not including SSB64. (Melee: Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, Brawl: Pit, R.O.B) I think it's safe to say we'll get at least one retro character. However if he goes with the pattern of the last two games we could get 2 I only it's a question of who it will be but if you said he is the most popular retro, well then, we may just be playing with Takamaru in the next Smash Bros.

Edit: I think I'd put G&W and R.O.B as more of the WTF Character though.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, now that Mac's here, I'm gunning straight up for Takamaru and K. Rool.

Lets get some MMC up in here!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Personally I think Mac helps Takamaru's chances even more than Mii's and Pac's.
The whole East vs West thing is almost definitely going to be touched upon, and Takamaru is the best character to parallel Mac's West style.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Personally I think Mac helps Takamaru's chances even more than Mii's and Pac's.
The whole East vs West thing is almost definitely going to be touched upon, and Takamaru is the best character to parallel Mac's West style.
Honestly, I've been thinking that ever since the Mac reveal. "We need something totally japanese in origin to contrast this amazingly western trailer."

And who could possibly fit that best? Taka-****ing-maru.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Honestly, I've been thinking that ever since the Mac reveal. "We need something totally japanese in origin to contrast this amazingly western trailer."

You know... exactly 2 months from today (in Japan) will be the 28th anniversary of Nazo no Murasame Jo... and since we get a Nintendo Direct every other month... and we got Little Mac on the 30th anniversary of Punch-Out!! (arcade) and/or the 20th anniversary of Super Punch-Out!! (SNES)... would it be far-fetched for Takamaru to be confirmed on April 14?

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
You know... exactly 2 months from today (in Japan) will be the 28th anniversary of Nazo no Murasame Jo... and since we get a Nintendo Direct every other month... and we got Little Mac on the 30th anniversary of Punch-Out!! (arcade) and/or the 20th anniversary of Super Punch-Out!! (SNES)... would it be far-fetched for Takamaru to be confirmed on April 14?
Not really, seems reasonable.
Though now it is obvious that we aren't really getting newcomers outside of Directs.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Wel jeez. That's actually really cool! I can totally see us getting a direct in a couple months, with Takamaru in it! Whoo! Potential excitement!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

I kinda want an Advance Wars rep at that reunion... maybe Infantry Units... two soldiers instead of five like in Captain Rainbow...

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Anime Takamaru reveal anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom