• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I'd argue that Villager was popular, but not as highly expected due to Sakurai's Brawl-era comments.

He is popular overall, in a way all of them are. However, the fanbase would have preferred Ridley, King K Rool, Takamaru, Dixie Kong, Mewtwo, etc.

D

Deleted member

If Takamaru were to get a new game, I would imagine that it would be more of a hack and slash/beat em up game.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Could I get added to the supporters' list, please? Takamaru is one of my most wanted retros along with....... preeeetty much every other retro from ye olden days.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Could I get added to the supporters' list, please? Takamaru is one of my most wanted retros along with....... preeeetty much every other retro from ye olden days.
You'll probably be added when the infamous Xenoblaze actually stops by and edit his own topic. Half of the time, he feels that this topic may be forgotten like Takamaru pre-Samurai Warriors 3. :troll:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
On the topic of Takamaru, I'm interested in doing some research for a moveset. Does anybody know a good translated ROM for Mystery of the Murasame Castle?

Marakatu

Smash Ace
On the topic of Takamaru, I'm interested in doing some research for a moveset. Does anybody know a good translated ROM for Mystery of the Murasame Castle?
There's nothing to translate, really. You just kill stuff.
I play that game a lot when I'm bored, and never had any problem, because there's barely any text.

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Just realized I'm not on the supporters' list, either - go ahead and add me, too!

Takamaru has somehow snuck up and become my most wanted character now, despite having no experience with his game or any of the ones he appears in. I guess he's actually neck and neck with Isaac, but I feel like Takamaru has a much stronger chance. Not that I view them as competing at all, it's just that between my two most wanted characters, I think he is the more likely one. Plus... who wouldn't want to play as a badass samurai?!

Honestly, if Takamaru gets in, at this point, I will be happy with whatever the rest of the roster is. I'd still like K. Rool, Mewtwo and others to make it in, but Takamaru is the linchpin for me now. And it can still be a good roster without him... but I will be severely bummed if he's excluded. I think he's got pretty strong chances, though, thankfully.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
There's nothing to translate, really. You just kill stuff.
I play that game a lot when I'm bored, and never had any problem, because there's barely any text.
Ah, so it's not in need of a major translation, like Mother 3? Good.

I'll begin to play now.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Ah, so it's not in need of a major translation, like Mother 3? Good.

I'll begin to play now.
Good luck. I understand it's a really difficult game (as in, harder than the original LoZ). Consider telling us all about it or recording that, by the way.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Good luck. I understand it's a really difficult game (as in, harder than the original LoZ). Consider telling us all about it or recording that, by the way.
I'm considering starting a channel with old NES games, I'll have to try it out before I do.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Look for a Famicon emulator rather than an NES emulator. An NES emulator might not be able to handle a Famicon ROM (I at least know that the Famicon has more advanced sound, so it wouldn't surprise me if it had different coding too.)
I figured out the problem. Turns out it said "Change to Side B", so I had to flip the disk. Luckily, my emulator is Famicom AND NES, so I got lucky and was able to play it.

And I am SO starting with that game if I begin a channel. It looks like Zelda, but is WAY different.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
I figured out the problem. Turns out it said "Change to Side B", so I had to flip the disk. Luckily, my emulator is Famicom AND NES, so I got lucky and was able to play it.

And I am SO starting with that game if I begin a channel. It looks like Zelda, but is WAY different.
Oh, there's one fun thing you should try: eject the disc and then reset the emulator with no disc inserted. You'll see a "please insert disc" screen with Mario and Luigi.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The game is really fun actually. It's like Zelda, but gone frantic with ninjas popping out from freaking everywhere, lol.

It was really fun. Hard as balls in some áreas, but it was worth it. Love the soundtrack (3-4 songs) even if it gets repetitive at times.

If Nintendo ever handled a remake I seriously hope it doesn't become a hack and slash. :( I'm perfectly fine with the infinite shuriken throwing based gameplay, and 1hitKO sword slices from up close.
Chances are, judging from Nintendo Land, that shuriken throwing IS key to Takamaru's game, so they probably wouldn't throw that away for more sword action.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The game is really fun actually. It's like Zelda, but gone frantic with ninjas popping out from freaking everywhere, lol.

It was really fun. Hard as balls in some áreas, but it was worth it. Love the soundtrack (3-4 songs) even if it gets repetitive at times.

If Nintendo ever handled a remake I seriously hope it doesn't become a hack and slash. :( I'm perfectly fine with the infinite shuriken throwing based gameplay, and 1hitKO sword slices from up close.
Chances are, judging from Nintendo Land, that shuriken throwing IS key to Takamaru's game, so they probably wouldn't throw that away for more sword action.
I'd always presume it would of been more akin to Okami, which plays similar to The Legend of Zelda but has more action elements.

D

Deleted member

I'd always presume it would of been more akin to Okami, which plays similar to The Legend of Zelda but has more action elements.
I can imagine it would be like Okami if Kamiya was working on the game.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I'd like to be added to the supporters list. Takamaru is easily my number 1 "realistic" newcomer at current (since Mike Jones will eternally be my #1 dream pick).

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Takamaru and Lip are my Retro pics for Smash 4, I'd like to be added please!

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Add me to the supporters list. I have a feeling we'll see him soon with Takamaru's Ninja Castle as a game in Nintendo Land. Seems weird to address him there and let him die out again.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Here's a remixed Douchuumen that sounds more like traditional Japanese music. Kind of reminds me of Samurai Jack.

I'm really hoping Murasame Castle ends up as a stage! :chuckle:

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Speaking of Murasame Castle, I'm not the only one that wants Murasame himself as a boss, right?

Here's his Samurai Warriors 3 incarnation:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Here's a remixed Douchuumen that sounds more like traditional Japanese music. Kind of reminds me of Samurai Jack.

I'm really hoping Murasame Castle ends up as a stage! :chuckle:
It kinda has that nostalgic N64 vibe to it.

Great, now I picture a low-poly little Takamaru running around a vast low-res japanese field attacking a group of equally low-poly ninjas.

Last edited:

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice

and with this very obscure arrangement i want to give my support to my second most wanted character for the fourth installment of the smash series.
i love murasame castle, and i really hope the franchise gets a reboot. starting with takamaru in smash bros.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Want to know something that would be really cool? What if Takamaru's model had a dichotomy to Link's?

He would have his ponytail going the opposite way as Link's hat, his bangs would be reversed, he would be holding his sword with both hands at an angle that's vertically opposite to how Link's holding his sword, and he'd be leaning the opposite direction.

I think it'd be really cool, just as a little homage to Link and Takamaru's games being based off of the same engine.

EDIT: Actually, look at this:

His original design already does a little bit of that. The bangs and hair are the right position, he's bending the correct direction...the only thing different from what I was imagining was his sword's position, but how it is here kinda works too.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
That'd be cool, but I think Takamaru's sword should be sheathed; he's known for his Iai afterall...

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
One other thing; I read up on Takamaru's game...do you have any idea how much potential the story alone has? Let me quote from wikipedia:
"The game takes place in Edo period Japan ruled by the fourth shogun Tokugawa Ietsuna. Murasame Castle, located somewhere in Japan, houses a gigantic stone statue known as Murasame. The people lived peacefully until one stormy night, when a shining golden object fell onto the castle from the sky. Deafening shrieks arose from the castle, and the shining object is later revealed to be an alien creature who gives life to the stone statue Murasame and takes over the castle. The alien creature extends its power to four other neighboring castles, giving the daimyo lords each an evil sphere of power. The lords are taken over by the alien's evil power, and use the spheres to summon ninja armies and monsters to attack villagers. Hearing of these strange occurrences, the shogunate sends Takamaru, a samurai apprentice, on a secret mission to investigate the castle. As Takamaru, the player must infiltrate the four castles to defeat each castle lord, before going on to face the alien entity itself."

Do you have any idea how much untapped potential there is there? It's Samurais versus aliens. If the series went on, it would have probably had the aliens come back for revenge and use their technology more fully against Takamaru and the people of his land. It's an amazing possibility for magic vs. technology.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
One other thing; I read up on Takamaru's game...do you have any idea how much potential the story alone has? Let me quote from wikipedia:
"The game takes place in Edo period Japan ruled by the fourth shogun Tokugawa Ietsuna. Murasame Castle, located somewhere in Japan, houses a gigantic stone statue known as Murasame. The people lived peacefully until one stormy night, when a shining golden object fell onto the castle from the sky. Deafening shrieks arose from the castle, and the shining object is later revealed to be an alien creature who gives life to the stone statue Murasame and takes over the castle. The alien creature extends its power to four other neighboring castles, giving the daimyo lords each an evil sphere of power. The lords are taken over by the alien's evil power, and use the spheres to summon ninja armies and monsters to attack villagers. Hearing of these strange occurrences, the shogunate sends Takamaru, a samurai apprentice, on a secret mission to investigate the castle. As Takamaru, the player must infiltrate the four castles to defeat each castle lord, before going on to face the alien entity itself."

Do you have any idea how much untapped potential there is there? It's Samurais versus aliens. If the series went on, it would have probably had the aliens come back for revenge and use their technology more fully against Takamaru and the people of his land. It's an amazing possibility for magic vs. technology.
Hot Damn, That sounds AWESOME!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Speaking of Murasame Castle, I'm not the only one that wants Murasame himself as a boss, right?

Here's his Samurai Warriors 3 incarnation:

It's hilarious how he looks similar to how he looked in the Nazo no Murasame-Jo manga. With the original sprite (pictured above), it's hard to tell whether he's a massive lion or a fatass dragon standing upright.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

It's hilarious how he looks similar to how he looked in the Nazo no Murasame-Jo manga. With the original sprite (pictured above), it's hard to tell whether he's a massive lion or a fatass dragon standing upright.
Manga? There's a manga? May I have a link?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Too many possibilities.
Next thing you'll know in the upcoming Nazo No game is samurais versus tourists and modern businessmen.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
The way I read it they meant alien as in different, probably a translation of Gaijin (which is commonly translated as Alien) a term often meaning foreigner but that can by theory be used for anything that's not of our realm, such as oni. I'd be interested in seeing the Manga to see which of these two it is though.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The way I read it they meant alien as in different, probably a translation of Gaijin (which is commonly translated as Alien) a term often meaning foreigner but that can by theory be used for anything that's not of our realm, such as oni. I'd be interested in seeing the Manga to see which of these two it is though.
Shame. I mean, mythological stuff is cool and all, but aliens...that's a whole 'nother story.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, it's nice to see that Takamaru gets some good support around here. I'm not entirely familiar with the character myself, but from what I've seen thus far I think he would be an ideal retro choice for Sakurai to recreate down the road. On that note, I guess I could be added to the supporters list.

There is one question I'd like to ask of those more familiar with the series. What kind of stage do you think Takamaru could bring to the table? I'm curious because as Takamaru is a very Japanese style character, I would love to see a stage from his series that incorporated some Japanese features. Just looking off his mini game in Nintendo Land, I imagined that a sort of night stage with some pagodas and perhaps some flora like cherry blossom trees could make for a really beautiful arena.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Well, it's nice to see that Takamaru gets some good support around here. I'm not entirely familiar with the character myself, but from what I've seen thus far I think he would be an ideal retro choice for Sakurai to recreate down the road. On that note, I guess I could be added to the supporters list.

There is one question I'd like to ask of those more familiar with the series. What kind of stage do you think Takamaru could bring to the table? I'm curious because as Takamaru is a very Japanese style character, I would love to see a stage from his series that incorporated some Japanese features. Just looking off his mini game in Nintendo Land, I imagined that a sort of night stage with some pagodas and perhaps some flora like cherry blossom trees could make for a really beautiful arena.
An intense stage that's just as hard as the Yellow Devil as a stage hazard in Wily's Castle.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Shame. I mean, mythological stuff is cool and all, but aliens...that's a whole 'nother story.
It's Nazo no seimei-tai (Mysterious Life Form).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom