• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I've come to like Takamaru simply because of what a blank slate he is. Like Pit, he's only had one major game to his name and a revival of his franchise could go in a large number of directions. One of the things I find the most endearing about Smash Bros as a franchise is how it gives old characters second chances and opens the door for franchises to expand. For me, the Ice Climbers have become some of my favorite Smash characters because of this. They took two virtually unknown characters from an incredibly obscure game and made them loved the world over. They then did the same with Pit in Brawl and I have a good feeling they're going to do the same with Takamaru in SSB4.
Actually, Pit had 2 games pre-Brawl.

Kid Icarus
Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
im only saying this because I don't know him but

why is this guy even possible since hes only known in japan besides I dident even know then that the Nintendo land game with the ninja star is his section of it

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To be fair, the Japanese-only status doesn't hurt him too badly. After all, Lucas, as well as Marth and Roy during Melee, were Japanese-only characters.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't even think he's requested as much in japan. :/

weird, eh?
It's hardly surprising. Katanas and Samurai are a part of their culture and history, so they probably look at Takamaru as a generic swordsman, much like how many us think of Fire Emblem lords as generic swordsmen.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
im only saying this because I don't know him but

why is this guy even possible since hes only known in japan besides I dident even know then that the Nintendo land game with the ninja star is his section of it
Takamaru is this generation's Pit and actually had a strong following for Brawl and one of the few characters that Sakurai actually addressed on the official Melee site. When a fan asked about Takamaru becoming playable he responded with "only if he appears in another game in the future." In 2004, the Mysterious Murasame Castle was rereleased for the GBA, giving fans hope for his return but, apparently, that didn't persuade Sakurai and Takamaru was only a sticker in Brawl. Since then, things have turned around greatly for Takamaru. In 2008, he made his first major game appearance in 22 years with Captain Rainbow soon followed by Samurai Warriors 3 in 2009/2010. Lately, as you noted, he even got his own game in Nintendo Land late last year. With all this being said, Sakurai's requirements were finally fulfilled and a lot of us here are hoping that he'll fulfill his promise from all those years ago.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
In the original game the mystical life-forms land in the Murasame Castle where they bring the stone statue of Murasame to life, and then they take control of the four castle lords by handing them a, well, ball. This ball then gives the castle lords the power to control their underlings, which leads to the townspeople getting terrorized. Or so the japanese wiki page says.
in the SW3 revision of the story it follows as:

Murasame was, at one point, a heavenly Diety who protected its people. But one day, through reasons unknown, his power became corrupt and became a monstrous demon. The people who once worshiped Murasame split his power into 5 crystal orbs. One being kept within Murasames castle as the key to keeping him sealed away, the other four being scattered across the land.

in the revised storyline, the four castle lords gain these crystals and become demons. while they work for Murasame, they also seek to attain the powers for them selves. Momosame possesses the body of Ayame, the shrine maiden of the Murasame Village.

Ayame is an original character who is based off the Damsels in Distress, maidens Takamaru could save in the original game for bonus points or something

She is possessed by Momosame and steals all four jewels from the other castle lords, becoming the strongest out of all of them until her defeat. Ayame then travels with Takamaru, and the player character, to the Murasame Village where they find the inhabitants of the village all turned to stone, though still alive. Ayame is able to channel the spiritual energy of the petrified villagers and weaken Murasame for the final battle against him.​

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Sounds like it doesn't go off to far from the original story then! Really need to get that game sometime. Espescially if Takamaru gets confirmed for Sm4sh. :happysheep:

Speculator

Smash Ace
Takamaru gets revealed in a trailer via nintendo direct when TGS comes about

Calling it now
Nintendo isn't attending TGS, so I'm not sure if they'd do a tie-in Nintendo Direct. They generally don't attend, actually. The TGS where we got a Brawl trailer was an anomaly.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Here are some others. another official nintendo remix

and the SW3 versions of the Murasame Castle mode.
Damn, listening to all this music makes me wish the franchise hadn't died. It worked really well as a more action-oriented sister game to The Legend of Zelda, and I would have loved to see something like that continue.

EDIT: Here's the theme from Nintendo Land.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
If they did indeed decide to revive the series, I would love to see Nintendo have Platinum Games make a new Murasame Castle. Developed by PG, but still being nintendo property (like Team Ninja did with Other M).

If they approached as an action game akin to Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, or even Metal Gear: Rising Revengance it would give Nintendo their very own hard-core action/adventure hack and slash series.

Ascended

Smash Ace
Put me down as a Takamaru supporter. Never played his game, but his "theme song" is pretty cool, and I'm a sucker for samurai.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
Put me down as a Takamaru supporter. Never played his game, but his "theme song" is pretty cool, and I'm a sucker for samurai.
It seems more like they are showing him off as a Samurai/Ninja hybrid. He fights with a katana and claims to fight by the code of the samurai, yet in his original game he could fight with throwing stars for projectiles, and his special stage in Nintendo Land game is called "Takamarus Ninja Castle".

I could see Takamaru becoming Nintendo's version of Tecmo's Ryu Hayabusa.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Takamaru would be awesome. we need a samurai and I think his series getting revived through smash making him the next "pit" would be really great. However I have a sinking feeling he'll be one of those characters we all THINK is getting in and doesn't make it. I'd love to be wrong about that though I really want him.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'm definitely in support of him. I've been trying to get him in one of my favorite smash fangames, Super Smash Bros. Crusade, he is deserving, he's from a great classic 1st Party game and has had an amzaing revival, including another fighting game. I even made a moveset for him, if you'd like to see it.

So, add me as a supporter.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It seems more like they are showing him off as a Samurai/Ninja hybrid. He fights with a katana and claims to fight by the code of the samurai, yet in his original game he could fight with throwing stars for projectiles, and his special stage in Nintendo Land game is called "Takamarus Ninja Castle".

I could see Takamaru becoming Nintendo's version of Tecmo's Ryu Hayabusa.
Shurikens were also used by samurai, and contrary to depictions in varies media like anime and manga, shurikens were never used as primary weaponry. Shurikens were typically used as more of a distraction, disorienting the opponent so they would be more vulnerable to the primary weapon of choice like a katana.

Also, Takamaru's Ninja Castle is not refering to Takamaru as a ninja, but rather it's referencing the fact that in the minigame you have to fight swarms of (adorable) ninjas.

Hank Hill

Smash Apprentice
Although I may have never played any of his games, he looks like an interesting character to warrant a spot in Smash Bros, I tell you what.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Takamaru would be a great addition, And when I know Balloon Fighter is dead, then Takamaru is my main retro wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom