• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
2008 - Takamaru appears in Captain Rainbow
2010 - Takamaru is included as a character in the Wii version of Samurai Warriors 3 and is given is own mode in the game
2012 - Takamaru has an 'attraction' named after him in Nintendo Land

Takamaru spent years in obscurity, however the over the past few years Nintendo seem to have made an effort to 'revive' him and his franchise. Continuing that revival by including him in SSB4 seems like an extremely logical and natural thing to do, after that perhaps doors will open for a new game. Hopefully this and his moderate popularity is too much for Sakurai to resist.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
2010 - Takamaru is included as a character in the Wii version of Samurai Warriors 3 and is given is own mode in the game
I actually didn't know this! That's very interesting. He has had more publicity than I initially thought.

That said, I'm all for Takamaru being playable. I'm really hoping for more obscure and retro characters to show up this time around, and while I don't know much about him or his game, he seems like an interesting choice. He's not my preferred retro rep (that being Lip) but I'd totally be cool with him.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Hey now, I think having both Lip and Takamaru would be ideal, because you know why the hell not both are colorful choices. No fighting over one or the other.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Oh yeah, my ideal roster would definitely include both. As I had said, I would love multiple retro characters, and both Takamaru and Lip featured together in Captain Rainbow a few years ago. Would be nice to see them both again.

I don't have anything against Takamaru, but in the situation where we could only have one or the other, I would prefer Lip.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
2008 - Takamaru appears in Captain Rainbow
2012 - Takamaru has an 'attraction' named after him in Nintendo Land

Takamaru spent years in obscurity, however the over the past few years Nintendo seem to have made an effort to 'revive' him and his franchise. Continuing that revival by including him in SSB4 seems like an extremely logical and natural thing to do, after that perhaps doors will open for a new game. Hopefully this and his moderate popularity is too much for Sakurai to resist.
How the hell can you forget the fact that Kamiya of Platinum Games is interested in making a reboot? The man started playing the original on his 3DS (which he "enjoyed a little" based on what he told me on Twitter) and trashed Star Fox because of annoying fans. That is a good sign that Murasame Castle will be his next project after Bayonetta 2. I would die and come back to life if the game is revealed in next year's E3.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
How the hell can you forget the fact that Kamiya of Platinum Games is interested in making a reboot? The man started playing the original on his 3DS (which he "enjoyed a little" based on what he told me on Twitter) and trashed Star Fox because of annoying fans. That is a good sign that Murasame Castle will be his next project after Bayonetta 2. I would die and come back to life if the game is revealed in next year's E3.
I take anything Kamiya says with a pinch of salt, yeah he may be interested in Murasame Castle now, but as soon as people start asking him about it on Twitter he'll have another tantrum, tell everyone to **** off and then declare that he's not interested any more.

Anyway, something else that Takamaru has on his side that despite being a retro character is that he's actually relevant, that gives him a massive advantage over the likes of Mach Rider, Muddy Mole, Sukapon and Duck Hunt Dog who have had nothing since their original games.

D

Deleted member

I take anything Kamiya says with a pinch of salt, yeah he may be interested in Murasame Castle now, but as soon as people start asking him about it on Twitter he'll have another tantrum, tell everyone to **** off and then declare that he's not interested any more.
I'm really hoping that the fans won't disinterest Kamiya again to make a reboot of Murasame Castle. I love Okami and I bet a reboot of Murasame Castle would have that style that Okami does.

Didn't Kamiya also snap at Smash Bros. fans? I remember hearing something like that.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
I'm really hoping that the fans won't disinterest Kamiya again to make a reboot of Murasame Castle. I love Okami and I bet a reboot of Murasame Castle would have that style that Okami does.

Didn't Kamiya also snap at Smash Bros. fans? I remember hearing something like that.
Yes he did. The guy's a temperamental, petulant asshole to be honest who has no right to talk to the people who pay his salary and keep him in a fantastic job the way he does. Wow, he publicly announced that he was interested in making a Star Fox game, then people had the gall to ask him questions about it - what an audacious, horrible bunch of people Star Fox fans are :rolleyes:.

A typical day on Kamiya's Twitter account:

Kamiya: I like cheese.
Follower: Cool. What's you favourite type of cheese Kamiya?
Kamiya: **** OFF ALL YOU CHEESE IDIOTS! I'M NEVER EATING CHEESE AGAIN!

D

Deleted member

Yes he did. The guy's a temperamental, petulant ******* to be honest who has no right to talk to the people who pay his salary and keep him in a fantastic job the way he does. Wow, he publicly announced that he was interested in making a Star Fox game, then people had the gall to ask him questions about it - what an audacious, horrible bunch of people Star Fox fans are :rolleyes:.
Oh wow. That changes my perspective by a lot. I guess he is a bit short-tempered and I can't really blame the Star Fox fans for asking him questions; there hasn't been a game in years, so of course people want to hear more. He kinda brought this on himself. He should really be thankful about his job and what he has...

Imagine if Sakurai decided to cancel SSB4 because of reasons like this?

D

Deleted member

Lol, as much as an ass Kamiya can be, he has every right to lash out at annoying fans that won't leave him the **** alone.

It's not so much that someone has the "gall" to ask him questions, it's that people keep hounding him for information and asking questions that he's already answered 50+ times.
Some of which he literally cannot give a definite answer to.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Oh wow. That changes my perspective by a lot. I guess he is a bit short-tempered and I can't really blame the Star Fox fans for asking him questions; there hasn't been a game in years, so of course people want to hear more. He kinda brought this on himself. He should really be thankful about his job and what he has...
Imagine if Sakurai decided to cancel SSB4 because of reasons like this?
Any Star Fox fan should know that's up to Nintendo for the game, not some third party developer who enjoys the series. It was brought up interviews that it did not clearly relate to Star Fox. I can imagine the frustration when he's trying to promote another project.
The Sakurai thing would be a completely different situation. Star Fox by Kamiya is a non-existent project.

D

Deleted member

Any Star Fox fan should know that's up to Nintendo for the game, not some third party developer who enjoys the series. It was brought up interviews that it did not clearly relate to Star Fox. I can imagine the frustration when he's trying to promote another project.
Yeah. I can sympathize with both sides of the story. But, at the end of the day, I just wanna play some games.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Since not everyone is aware of Murasame Castles existence, it won't really happen since the game itself is rather obscure and most of the average Nintendo gamers are only aware of him because of Nintendo Land. Based on what I seen on his Twitter for years, barely anybody asked him about that specific game at all. :happysheep:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So I bit the bullet and looked at some gameplay for the original game and for the life of me I couldn't understand a lick of it past "you samurai, they ninja, slashy slashy!"

Anyone know what the objective is?

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
So I bit the bullet and looked at some gameplay for the original game and for the life of me I couldn't understand a lick of it past "you samurai, they ninja, slashy slashy!"

Anyone know what the objective is?
What were you expecting? You never played an 8-bit game before? You play as the good guy and your objective is to get past a bunch of enemies to beat each level. There's nothing to understand.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What were you expecting? You never played an 8-bit game before? You play as the good guy and your objective is to get past a bunch of enemies to beat each level. There's nothing to understand.

If you'd stop being so condescending for a second. Just because a game is 8 bit doesn't mean everything is the same. Some characters appeared to be allies and the map appears to be free roaming. I just don't know what the objective is. Save allies or get to the end?

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
If you'd stop being so condescending for a second. Just because a game is 8 bit doesn't mean everything is the same. Some characters appeared to be allies and the map appears to be free roaming. I just don't know what the objective is. Save allies or get to the end?
Sorry for being rude. Looking at my post now I see that I was being very condescending. I apologise.

It's a very simple game, you get to the end of each level, and that's it. From my recollection there's no 'allies', just enemies. Each level is fairly non-linear, as in there's several different paths to take, but the objective is always to end up in the one place.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm not gonna let this become a drama so I just looked up the gameplay description on Wikipedia. And it explains the part I was confused about, i.e. you save women to gain extra lives and sometimes they turn out to be demons in disguise (Which also explains the NintendoLand game.) And you don't need to defeat all enemies but there's so many of them show up you probably have to chop a few down. Also you can pick up weapons to replace your shurikens like fire and explosives.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
I'm not gonna let this become a drama so I just looked up the gameplay description on Wikipedia. And it explains the part I was confused about, i.e. you save women to gain extra lives and sometimes they turn out to be demons in disguise (Which also explains the NintendoLand game.) And you don't need to defeat all enemies but there's so many of them show up you probably have to chop a few down. Also you can pick up weapons to replace your shurikens like fire and explosives.
That's pretty much it. Think The Legend of Zelda, with no puzzles, just combat and action.

And yeah, if you haven't seen my edited post, sorry about the attitude earlier.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
That's pretty much it. Think The Legend of Zelda, with no puzzles, just combat and action.

And yeah, if you haven't seen my edited post, sorry about the attitude earlier.

I think I posted before hitting refresh. Apologies accepted.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

I enjoyed Nazo no Murasame-Jo so much that I'll eventually reveal this ****ing reboot by next year's E3.

?????????????

Smash Master
Until now, I haven't taken the time to look around the forums and check out the threads of my most wanted characters. Takamaru is one of them.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'll be looking forward to March since it's his games anniversary since there is still no sign of Nazo no Murasame-Jo on the Wii U's Virtual Console yet (though Shin Onigashima's currently available, but Japanese exclusive due to the excessive Japanese text).

On a side note, I really hope that Kamiya is working on Nazo no Murasame-Jo's reboot as we speak since he's done playing the original on his 3DS since the summer and dropped Star Fox due to annoying fans. We better be lucky that Nazo no Murasame-Jo barely have fans or else he might give up on the project like he did with Star Fox. That alone would be the best E3 2014 reveal of the year for me.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'll be looking forward to March since it's his games anniversary since there is still no sign of Nazo no Murasame-Jo on the Wii U's Virtual Console yet (though Shin Onigashima's currently available, but Japanese exclusive due to the excessive Japanese text).

On a side note, I really hope that Kamiya is working on Nazo no Murasame-Jo's reboot as we speak since he's done playing the original on his 3DS since the summer and dropped Star Fox due to annoying fans. We better be lucky that Nazo no Murasame-Jo barely have fans or else he might give up on the project like he did with Star Fox. That alone would be the best E3 2014 reveal of the year for me.
You honestly believe that he dropped the project because of "annoying fans". Ignorance is bliss.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You honestly believe that he dropped the project because of "annoying fans". Ignorance is bliss.

Get a load of this! http://wiiudaily.com/2013/09/kamiya-no-star-fox-interview/

But in all seriousness, who knows what could be the main reason why he even gave up? Most of his fans act like they have half a brain and ask for ridiculous thinks like "Have Sakurai put Bayonetta in Smash!" or "Can you kill of Slippy in the new Star Fox?" on his Twitter account 24/7. I feel him since they are almost as bad as the Sonic fanbase and don't think of him as a person.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
After watching a whole playthrough of this, I'm really damn convinced that Takamaru should happen. I love the game alot now, it feels very special in its own right. He needs to happen along with Balloon Fighter. His design should stay to original IMO.

Also my favorite remix of the theme here:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The game itself is actually kind of average, at least by today's standards and arguably back then too. The main thing is that it's one of those short but brutal games that were common back in the days of the NES/Famicom. Like, The Legend of Zelda with a Ninja Gaiden amounts of difficulty.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The game itself is actually kind of average, at least by today's standards and arguably back then too. The main thing is that it's one of those short but brutal games that were common back in the days of the NES/Famicom. Like, The Legend of Zelda with a Ninja Gaiden amounts of difficulty.
Same thing could be said for Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels, but that game is much more brutal since the game takes even longer due to the amount of levels it contains. I can handle Nazo no Mursame-Jo like in the past, but I sure as hell can't deal with THAT Mario game.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
So has anyone played SSF2, I think Takamaru style could be taken from Ichigo, where uses super fast powerful attacks to KO the opponent, except the Neutral-B is rather fireballs.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I support.
Takamaru is probably the best and most plausible retro this time around, and I'd love to see what he brings to the table.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So has anyone played SSF2, I think Takamaru style could be taken from Ichigo, where uses super fast powerful attacks to KO the opponent, except the Neutral-B is rather fireballs.
I was thinking the same thing, BluePikmin. Ichigo basically paints the picture for how Takamaru's overall close combat should work in Smash Wii U/3DS. Yeah, but shirukens and fireballs instead of Sword Beam Getsuga Tensou and he should be much faster.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I guess it could work, but he gave me more of an Ike vibe, which I don't think would fit Takamaru.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I guess it could work, but he gave me more of an Ike vibe, which I don't think would fit Takamaru.
He's not talking about the design, but the playstyle. A beat down character is just one option Takamaru can lean towards, with other options like mix-up and momentum also being options. One thing for sure though is that the character is not going to be a powerhouse or grappler character, mainly because of contradictory it is.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Do you guys think Takamaru will have a counter special move?
Yeah since counter is exactly a traditional method for most samurai in general. Deflecting projectiles is a unique ability for Takamaru that could easily be incorporated in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom