• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
This has my support :) Imagine what Takamaru would bring to the Smashverse, in addition to his moveset and universe! In terms of marketing, not only would hardcore gamers appreciate him from Famicon, but also casual players can just look at him and say, "God, I really want to play as an awesome badass, eastern-fightin-styled samurai"! Both hardcore and casual players would love his inclusion.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I repeat, i would love it if platinum games was tasked with making the next Murasame Castle game. making the series a hack-n-slash game akin to Bayonetta, or Ninja Gaiden, would be a wonderful way to revive the series.
This has probably been mentioned before, but I think Kamiya said Nazo no Murasame Jo was the Nintendo series he'd most like to work on, after Star Fox.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
This has probably been mentioned before, but I think Kamiya said Nazo no Murasame Jo was the Nintendo series he'd most like to work on, after Star Fox.
This gets me even more excited, and hopeful, for a possible Murasame Castle series remake!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's implied to be Star Fox more then The Mysterious Murasame. Kamiya himself has gone on record several times stating that one of his favorite franchises is Star Fox. Though, I'm starting to think he might have some sort of attachment to The Mysterious Murasame Castle too, either that or (as I theorize) he wants a spiritual successor to Okami and is looking for some sort of excuse.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Though, I'm starting to think he might have some sort of attachment to The Mysterious Murasame Castle too, either that or (as I theorize) he wants a spiritual successor to Okami and is looking for some sort of excuse.
That would be way too amazing to ever happen.

Speculator

Smash Ace
It's implied to be Star Fox more then The Mysterious Murasame. Kamiya himself has gone on record several times stating that one of his favorite franchises is Star Fox. Though, I'm starting to think he might have some sort of attachment to The Mysterious Murasame Castle too, either that or (as I theorize) he wants a spiritual successor to Okami and is looking for some sort of excuse.
I did say after Star Fox. NnMj is his second choice. https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/247276749350645760

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I don't really know Takamaru that except that it's a guy wearing a ponytail with a sword, but if he was added, I'd give him a shot.

acekidgravity

Smash Cadet
I would love to see Takamaru join the Smash Bros crew. I feel like he would be an amazing character that not many people knew ever existed, and his inclusion could even open up the possibility of the continuation of his series (Pit Style). I would love to see a new Takamaru game and a resurgence in his popularity. Put me down as a supporter.

Just have to mention: I think his inclusion in Nintendoland is a little too random to be anything but a hint of what's to come. For now, we wait. But soon... soon...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The inclusion is a bit random, but keep in mind that the varies minigames are based on tech demos. I believe Takamaru's Ninja Castle was originally more of a generic ninja game with more of a realistic and duller appearance. Same gameplay applied, but it lacked the identity later on when it became one of the minigames from Nintendo Land.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'm keybladeguy, I support Takamaru because I have been wanting him alongside other Nintendo characters, and I want even more retro characters, because they are fun and it's fun to learn about Nintendo's History.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm keybladeguy, I support Takamaru because I have been wanting him alongside other Nintendo characters, and I want even more retro characters, because they are fun and it's fun to learn about Nintendo's History.
*In a dull AA voice*

Hi, Keybladeguy...

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The Famicom Disk of Nazo no Murasame-Jo under the name of Cosmic Drive appears in Pikmin 2 as a treasure. This treasure is found on Sublevel 3 in the Hole of Beasts, and it is best to take out the fire geysers or use Red Pikmin to carry the treasure. This is one of the earliest references to this game that was actually international other than Samurai Warriors 3.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
It's just a theory, but you guys remember on the Dev. Direct when Sakurai showed a short clip of Samus, Pit, and Link on the Wii U and he said "they were all born in 1986" at first I thought it was just a little fun fact as it had nothing to do with ssb4, or so I thought. If you watch it you can see that he only mentions Link at the beginning of the clip before he says the 1986 line. He never even talked about Link like he did Samus and Pit, it's as if Link was only there so Sakurai could say his 1986 line. He could have just had Pit and Samus on the screen since he only talked about them, or he could have just put a fourth character in just for the face time, but he didn't. That's when it hit me, Takamaru was born in 1986 on the Famicom just like the other 3, but that's pretty vague so let me mention another little detail. Nazo no Murasame was developed for the Famicom using the same engine as The Legend of Zelda just as Kid Icarus was made using Metroid's engine, ALL IN 1986! That's why his little fun fact seemed so out of place, and it's why Link was in the clip even though he didn't really talk about him! HE WAS REFERENCING NAZO NO MURASAME

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's just a theory, but you guys remember on the Dev. Direct when Sakurai showed a short clip of Samus, Pit, and Link on the Wii U and he said "they were all born in 1986" at first I thought it was just a little fun fact as it had nothing to do with ssb4, or so I thought. If you watch it you can see that he only mentions Link at the beginning of the clip before he says the 1986 line. He never even talked about Link like he did Samus and Pit, it's as if Link was only there so Sakurai could say his 1986 line. He could have just had Pit and Samus on the screen since he only talked about them, or he could have just put a fourth character in just for the face time, but he didn't. That's when it hit me, Takamaru was born in 1986 on the Famicom just like the other 3, but that's pretty vague so let me mention another little detail. Nazo no Murasame was developed for the Famicom using the same engine as The Legend of Zelda just as Kid Icarus was made using Metroid's engine, ALL IN 1986! That's why his little fun fact seemed so out of place, and it's why Link was in the clip even though he didn't really talk about him! HE WAS REFERENCING NAZO NO MURASAME
Cool story, bro. I mean in both figuratively and sarcastically. Though, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for him to be revealed on the same day as Nazo no Murasame-jo hits the Wii U's Virtual Console next year hypothetically. That alone would make the most sense that revealing him any other time.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Cool story, bro. I mean in both figuratively and sarcastically. Though, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for him to be revealed on the same day as Nazo no Murasame-jo hits the Wii U's Virtual Console next year hypothetically. That alone would make the most sense that revealing him any other time.
That would make a lot of sense. If Takamaru gets a newcomer trailer like Wii Fit Trainer, I think the main question for most people is gonna be "who?" Releasing the FDS game would be a good way of introducing the character himself to the West.

D

Deleted member

If they do anything with Takamaru in SSB4, he might be an unlockable character as he could be a character that would surprise most.

I would love to see Takamaru because he's a pretty cool character. He's a freaking samurai who can throw fireballs and shurikens, how can you go wrong with that? He's a pretty appealing character to me as I do see a lot of moveset potential and he is a character that fulfills Sakurai's requirements as he would bring a certain uniqueness to the battlefields of Smash Bros. with his sword style and powers.

So, I do support Takamaru to be a playable character in SSB4 as he just fits in quite nicely with the other characters in the roster. The funny thing is that Super Smash Bros. is about Nintendo's all-stars while Captain Rainbow was about Nintendo's obscure characters. Could Takamaru go from obscure to all-star? I think it's possible!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'll revive this forgotten topic with a special mention. After Peach's reveal, I've thought of another possible way Takamaru could be revealed soon. She was revealed on the 12th of this month in honor of the 28th anniversary of Super Mario Bros.'s Japanese release. Perhaps the same way can work for him IF they don't plan on releasing Nazo no Murasame-Jo on the Wii U's Japanese Virtual Console too soon. The game was originally out in April 14, 1986, meaning next year would be the 27th anniversary of the game's release. So that means there could be two possible ways for Takamaru to be revealed: to celebrate the 27th anniversary of Nazo no Murasame-Jo's release or to promote the Wii U Virtual Console release of Nazo no Murasame-Jo. I'd say this would be the best outcome since there aren't any major 3DS/Wii U game's revealed for an April 2014 release officially yet. Which way do you think would be the most possible way for Takamaru to be revealed?

Speculator

Smash Ace
I think it depends on when we start seeing newcomers again. Right now they're very much focused on veteran reveals, and I'm guessing that's because Nintendo is currently geared towards 2013 releases like Wind Waker and SM3DW. Next year I think SSB, along with Mario Kart and Bayonetta will start getting all the attention, and that's when we're most likely to see newcomers showing up.

I think Nazo no Murasame-Jo will be released on Virtual Console in order to coincide with Takamaru's reveal, not the other way around. Since this will be the first time most of the West is introduced to Takamaru as a character, they'll want to give people the opportunity to play his game and learn about him. Just like Olimar's page had a link to the Pikmin 3 site and Luigi's had a link to Dream Team, Takamaru's could have a "Want to learn more about Takamaru? Visit the Nintendo eShop on Wii U!" link to details about the game.

Another option of course is that they don't reveal him at all. We're familiar with Takamaru but for a lot of people he's going to be a bit of a Game & Watch or Marth/Roy, as in a character they haven't really encountered before. He might end up as an unlockable character in which case we might not know about him until release.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Actually, the scenario of correlating the reveal with the virtual console release does make sense, considering we know that there is a plan of re-releasing The Mysterious Murasame Castle internationally for the first time. Though, that may or may not be the case depending on if that actually happens.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In order to unlock Takamaru, you must first complete The Mysterious Murasame Castle. In Japanese.

Your reaction?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I support this guy because I have been researching for weeks, and only a few franchises I saw as even remotely possible. Takamaru's the most.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I was bored so I made gifs...

Throwing Knife

Windmill Sword

Invisibility

Fireball

Musou

True Musou

Inazuma Lightning

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I know this might get me lynched but...

I'm starting to doubt a new retro character.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Well, only three newcomers have actually been revealed so far, so there's no way to really tell yet. However, I do recall Sakurai mentioning in an interview that he would like to revive older franchises with Super Smash Bros (like he did with Kid Icarus), so that is something to keep in mind.

If anything, Sakurai seems to be going for characters who are unique and creative above all else. Villager, Mega Man and Wii Fit Trainer are all very distinct in their playstyles and movesets and they really stand out in the crowd. So, retro or not, I think the biggest factor to consider in a character is uniqueness. We haven't really seen or heard anything that lowers the chance of retro reps, so it could really go either way at this point.

Personally, I would be thrilled to see a lot of retro based newcomers (as well as just unrepped series getting characters) over characters from already repped series. We'll just have to wait until the next batch of newcomers arrive to see how things go, and heaven knows when that will be.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if that's what Sakurai is going for this time.
Don't we already know he's planning on retro newcomers? I remember him saying something about it being fortunate that he's in a position to bring back older characters.

Either way, I think he'll be forced to look to older characters whether he wants to or not. With the inclusion of Wii Fit and Animal Crossing, the coverage of active series is pretty good. And I don't think we'll be seeing quite as many characters from already-present series this time. Other modern unrepresented series I can think of are Xenoblade and maybe Chibi-Robo, but aside from that I think it would be quite difficult to include only modern newcomers.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Don't we already know he's planning on retro newcomers? I remember him saying something about it being fortunate that he's in a position to bring back older characters.
http://www.cubed3.com/news/16920

Masahiro Sakurai said:
I am planning on doing my best to bring old characters back in Smash Bros. From that perspective, I am probably in the most fortunate position in the world.
Also note the plural, which suggests there might be possibly more then just one old character brought back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom